Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 428 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV PC
45. Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 05:55 Evil Timmy

In GRID, I'm actually just finishing up the Japanese races, and I've got two or three of the world circuit championships to do before I've completed everything, and that all on PC. Of course, I played and actually won the Indy 500 in the old Indy DOS game, so my keyboard-racing-fu is strong. In GRID, I highly suggest you tweak the input settings (under Advanced) to find a sweet spot, usually just 10% off the defaults. The only thing that I find really difficult, playing on the setting above Normal, is drifts, where even tapping the acceleration precisely isn't enough to pull off great drifts. Everything else is a great challenge, and it's the first game in a while that really makes you pick good lines and late-apex most every turn. After getting back into the habit post-NFS, it's a lot of fun.

GTAIV PC, sans stupid lockon system, should be really enjoyable, and hopefully prettier with AA that actually works and no pop-in (or even the occasional 5 second freeze when I'm hauling ass) with a 2GB+ system. Saving isn't a huge issue, as it'll probably save after every successful mission a la the console versions, but quicksave is never a bad option to have.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Devil May Cry 4 Cries Piracy
57. Re: BS Aug 1, 2008, 12:41 Evil Timmy

Another piracy thread, another thread clogged with the same old crap. I really need to compile a page with the most common misconceptions and the frequently trotted-out BS arguments that haunt these threads. I'm not even wading into this one, you all have your fun. *leans back, calmly sips lemonade*

News Comments > More GTA IV PC Rumor Mongering
20. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2008, 22:01 Evil Timmy

Ehh, if it's got full-time 4xAA, it certainly doesn't look it. I've played it on both a 720p projector and 1080p HDTV, and aliasing is very apparent throughout the game proper (not in cutscenes, though). It seems like it's semi-adaptive, in that more complex scenes show more aliasing, but that could just be that it's more apparent because you're more likely to see higher-contrast edges. I'm not arguing that it's not there, but it does seem to drop out.

However, on PC you should be able to run it at whatever res you like (2560x1600 if you wipe with hundreds and stockpiled gas five years ago), with your preferred AA/AF, and without the oft-retarded auto-aim system (do I really need to keep a lock on a guy I killed 5 seconds ago, when I'm shoving the stick in the direction of the guy I wanted to shoot at and who's shooting me?). I've played it a fair bit on 360, but I'm looking forward to a serious 100% playthrough on PC, as I've done with all the previous games.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 22:02.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Movie
22. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2008, 18:37 Evil Timmy

QOTD: "My drugs are wearing off right now." -Todd Howard

I'm more optimistic with everything I see of Fallout 3, especially considering that it's been demoed on 360 for the console crowd. I can also understand why they wouldn't show dialogue, as any meaningful choices (what we want to see) would both give away spoilers and present them to us without context and thus devoid of meaning. I'm curious how they'll handle death and saving/loading, as I definitely plan to cruise some of the more brutal areas early in the game for, as my recently WoW-readdicted friend put it, "teh phat lewt!".

But IGN, really, what the hell? Tits McGee (sorry, Jessica Chobot...wait, shit, which name did I make up to be insulting?) was clearly reading off a TelePrompTer even before your camera guy panned over it, and even with that you couldn't feed her any good questions? There's also four seconds of her sitting there before her smile-and-read-intro cue pops up, and your "HD" video is horribly interlaced, making it look like every edge in FO3 is serrated. Nobody takes you seriously, IGN, but we'll at least play along if you can make a token effort.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Movie Marathon
2. Re: AI Jun 26, 2008, 02:11 Evil Timmy

Absolutely true, Jerykk. While I like the open world (god, could the presenter say that phrase any more often?) and that it's got at least some RPG-lite elements, and that you can tell these guys are fun-loving hardcore gamers, the AI is always worrying. Seems pretty good from the unscripted (hey, it crashes when he dies) demo, but how it'll play out over the promised 50 hours remains to be seen. Crysis had generally good AI that had occasional but jarring screwups, but still nothing special. I'm also curious how they'll prevent 'too much' exploration that might break quests or continuity, whether it's natural like a flooded river, tough enemies, (in)visible walls, or something else entirely. However, there's one point right at the end that cemented my lust for this game, and that it's a real successor to Far Cry: THE GLIDER!

News Comments > Crysis Warhead Details
2. Re: No Subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:37 Evil Timmy

Give me a level as awesome as Far Cry's "Rebellion", where a grey dawn breaks over a massive chunk of island which you could cover via multiple paths, many optional battles, huge you vs trigens vs soldiers battles, and I'll be happy. I'm sorta surprised I didn't see anything like it in Crysis (although some of the later levels near the tank were pretty good), where traversing a level can be done on foot, in a vehicle, mostly underground, or by paragliding, each way has multiple turns, and each replay of the level is vastly different depending on which path you walk and which enemies you fight.

Personally, I feel pretty gipped on the whole 'sandbox' thing as it stands, from everyone. So far, it seems to mean a parallel road (OMG! Choices!) or simply having to walk farther to find the generic fedex/kill quest giver. The point of a sandbox is that it lets you sculpt whatever you want and shape your play experience, if temporarily...without the sand, you've simply got walls around your imagination.
This comment was edited on Jun 25, 21:37.

News Comments > On Linux Game Piracy
14. Free as in 'torrent' Jun 24, 2008, 23:26 Evil Timmy

Not surprised by this at all. Linux users are all about free, and are on average far more competent mucking about in the innards (software or hardware) of their PC vs Windows or Mac users. Casual piracy for a Linux user is up to and possibly including a full kernel recompile. I also think part of the issue is the way we've shifted in our dealing with most forms of entertainment. We're used to opening up another browser tab, or watching a chain of random videos on YouTube, DVRing or torrenting our TV, having music universally streamable or downloadable; essentially, everything a la carte. Why should I have to wait for the store, or worse yet, shipping, when I can have a torrent of whatever I want downloading within ten seconds and done when I get home from work, and for free? It's more effort to even waste a spare thought to the morality of it, so easy and convenient has it become. Hell, it's sometimes worth waiting for the pirated version, because there'll undoubtedly be a post-release patch to actually finish the game, and the warez scene will *nuke* anything buggy and non-working. If only GameStop did that. In how many other industries do the pirates enjoy a significant advantage, in virtually every way, over legitimate paying customers?

Of course, this is only a small part. Another example is the (IMO) increasing quality of cheaper games. As gamers grow up, it stops being about having enough games and starts being about having enough time to play them (aah, life, always getting in the way of my fun). If I drop $50-65 on a AAA title, it's incredibly rare that I'll make it through it in two sittings (even for an FPS), and more likely sessions will be less than an hour. Even if the game is higher quality than something I may have played while younger, I can't devote myself as fully to the experience and thus get less out of it. On the other hand, I recently bought Mount&Blade and Trials 2 SE. Both inexpensive games, both enjoyable for a quick sitting or longer sessions, both play on my laptop and gaming PC. I was a bigger gamer than pretty much all of my friends, and I've got more free time than most, and I'm a long-term serious PC gamer, and even I'm finding myself leaning towards the heavy-casual genre and lighter games in general.

News Comments > FlatOut Ultimate Carnage Next Month
3. Re: um. Jun 21, 2008, 01:53 Evil Timmy

But who wouldn't want close to the worst multiplayer experience ever to taint PC, coupled with horrific in-game menus labeled with Xbox 360 buttons, and nary a hint of PC optimization in sight?

I wish Microsoft would have made it more clear to end users that its full title was cut down from the original, accurate, but somewhat wordy Publishers? Are You Lazy And Looking To Turn A Quick Buck? Develop For 360 And With A One-Click Recompile, You Can Have All Your Games for Windows(tm) (subtitled: And Make Your Money On Consoles First!)

News Comments > Need for Speed Undercover Unveiled
17. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:50 Evil Timmy

I dunno...MW was my favorite of the series, Carbon just felt cheap and churned out, and ProStreet was just crap. After playing GRID for a while, I really like it, and NFS will have to step up for this and future games. Plus, flashbacks in GRID are addictive, and really keep the races from being as frustrating as they might be, while still challenging. All it needs is more variety in the courses and it'd be really great.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Retrospective
14. Re: No subject Jun 16, 2008, 12:04 Evil Timmy

I loved Stalker, it was a unique game, but I'm really waiting for Clear Sky. Problems like many, many broken quests, stupid respawns that made walking all over even more annoying, AI that loved to snipe from scary almost-invisible distances, and money that's useless except for buying armor maybe once, but despite all this, it was a lot of fun. With a better designed-and-playtested world and a bit more variety Clear Sky could be really great, not just unique and different fun. Hopefully their year and a half of refinement produces a bit more polished and bug-free burned-out nuclear wasteland for me to romp around in.

News Comments > Consolidation
6. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2008, 10:59 Evil Timmy

When I can go to the store and pick up a 1TB hard drive for $250, and these consoles are at least 3 years away, and with the ever-increasing speed of broadband, I can't imagine the next gen not being hard-drive reliant if not exclusive. Console gamers seem even more likely to accept Valve's preload now, unlock on release date strategy, and publishers have more security/DRM on consoles, and you can bet the next batch will top that. Gamers don't have to worry about scratched discs and get faster loading times and maybe even mod support, the lending market will die off except for how the manufacturers allow it, and pubs get both cash and stats instantly and directly. Plus, with the constant blurring between types of content storage and how we access it, why shouldn't the next gen really do what the current gen promised: truly become the center of our living room and entertainment experience. With an open or even licensed standard, the console could really become a universal player, for internet (esp. with web app support), video, games, and anything we put into the cloud.

Edit:
HAH what if we went full circle back to the cartridge that would be irony.
SSDs will only get cheaper and bigger, so you may get your wish at some point in the next decade. Imagine your whole 250GB photorealistic game using a fast SSD for all its storage, personal settings, mods, updates, and everything else...
This comment was edited on Jun 15, 11:02.

News Comments > FlatOut Ultimate Carnage Q&A
4. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2008, 10:46 Evil Timmy

Yeah, it did start on PC. The worst thing about it was that it was brutally unforgiving in the races. One screw-up and you spent 10 seconds watching your body ragdoll into trees and the other, near-perfect AI racers pass you by. The crazy events (targets, goalposts, whatever) were by far the most enjoyable element of the game. If they've made their AI a bit more human, both more aggressive and more fallible, rather than like slot-car racers, I'll give this a shot, otherwise I'll wait for it to be $9.99 on Steam in a year.

News Comments > Grimm Trailer
10. Re: Why is his name in the title? Jun 15, 2008, 10:41 Evil Timmy

Fuck u. ktnxbye.
Finish your game already, then! Your whole series is exactly what I want out of a game, filled to the brim with so many things I should love, but so lacking in polish and cohesion, and so obtuse that I've never been able to get into any of your games, despite repeated tries with various incarnations. I wanted to, I really did, and I keep on seeing pieces of the ultimate space-game vision (combat and dialogue/cutscene elements from Mass Effect, epic space battles from Freespace 2, RPG system and choices from Deus Ex/Fallout, trading and adventure from Elite/WC Privateer), but the problem is making it into a complete and integrated whole. If you can do that, I'll gladly buy the game, from you or anyone else who can pull it off, and tattoo your company logo on my personage. While others seem to have pieced together a corner here or a 'holy shit it's a kitten' there, you've seen the picture on the box but have yet to piece together any clear contiguous portion of the whole. Maybe rather than filling in random piece by random piece and taking too long to get to any worthwhile element, you should have your 'holy shit it's a kitten' moment where part of the puzzle gets completed and makes sense, and work from there.

I don't mean this as an attack, simply my years of frustration at what should be my ultimate game, something I can get all my friends into, but which falls short every time around, and the poor way in which you've handled criticisms of these shortcomings, whether valid or not. Of course, what would I know? I'm just a silly dumb prole whose job it is to pay for and play your games.

News Comments > Grimm Trailer
8. Re: Why is his name in the title? Jun 15, 2008, 08:40 Evil Timmy

Met the dude a few years back, he's a friend of one of the regulars at a place where I used to DJ. In fact, it was a bit before Bad Day LA came out. While he's a nice dude with an odd but good sense of humor, he's also extremely tangential and gets lost in his own train of thought. Something that clearly shows in Scrapland (which was decently fun, but not great) and Bad Day LA (which had some cool concepts, but few of which felt complete, leading to the game being pretty incoherent), and which I suspect will continue on in Grimm. He did some great work with id, and Alice was enjoyable but not outstanding, but seems to have slipped into a dsmart-esque malaise, with a bit more slapping-his-name-on-boxes fun.

News Comments > Gold - Alone in the Dark
6. Re: ... Jun 9, 2008, 11:19 Evil Timmy

Wow, this really doesn't sound like the AitD I used to play. I'll check up on a bit after release, but it seems they've put a new coat of paint on a generic console action title to turn a quick buck. Before this, Eden Games did the V-Rally series (in NA prefaced with Need for Speed), NFS: Porsche Unleashed, and most recently Test Drive Unlimited. This seems like a step out of their purely racing-game pedigree, and more like they've just been handed a previous engine and license and told to make a game with it, as they're wholly owned by Atari/Infogrames. Lines like "thrilling narrative story arc" in the press release, which I know I've heard used before by corporate marketdroids, seem to confirm this'll be generic and by-the-numbers with an old familiar name stuck on it. That will get word out, guaranteed, and even if it's on the rabid lips of an angry veteran gamer, at the end of the day, it'll sell more copies with people burning game boxes in effigy on the streets in protest, than would an original, forgettable IP of the same or better quality.

News Comments > Free Deus Ex
92. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 8, 2008, 14:38 Evil Timmy

Here's the links to the mods I mentioned.

Shifter @ ModDB http://www.moddb.com/mods/8002/shifter
Improved Renderer http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ (get the latest OpenGL version for Deus Ex, 1.8)
HTDP, as mentioned, is a demo, and makes little to no difference. Besides, it's been linked to plenty of times already. It's still being worked on, but not worth using at this point.

News Comments > Crysis Warhead Announced
28. Dear God noooo... Jun 5, 2008, 13:04 Evil Timmy

Wish we could post pictures here - as any number of "You are doing it wrong" picture captions would work nicely...
Are you insane? Have you seen a game forum at any time in the past decade? One of the reasons I post at Blue's is that I don't have to see bouncy-breasted looping-GIF anime userpics, retarded ripped-from-4chan Photoshops, and horrific flashy signatures. There's absolutely no reason you can't just link to an image and let everyone keep what little sanity is left after years on the internet.

Edit: I didn't really mean it to sound as abrasive as it does, but the sentiment stands. This place is a refuge from the crap on virtually every other gaming site (RPGWatch and GamersWithJobs as noteworthy exclusions).
This comment was edited on Jun 5, 13:06.

News Comments > Free Deus Ex
6. Re: No subject Jun 5, 2008, 12:57 Evil Timmy

I'm curious if this version supports any modding, or whether GameTap wouldn't play nice with it. I just replayed it a few months back at 1680x1050, with Shifter (general gameplay mod), HDTP (improves textures) and an updated Unreal renderer, and it really improved the overall experience.

Edit, just to put links on on the front page:
Shifter @ ModDB http://www.moddb.com/mods/8002/shifter
Improved Renderer http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ (get the latest OpenGL version for Deus Ex, 1.8)

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 14:39.

News Comments > Crysis Warhead Announced
13. Mass Effect Jun 5, 2008, 10:56 Evil Timmy

On a scale of "what?" to "I can't wait!", this gets an "Eh..." I'll probably pick it up at some point, but after the price drops or if it comes bundled with something. With nVidia's new graphics cards, it might actually be playable at a high resolution, with reasonable details, on a single card; however, the patchy storyline left me unimpressed, and I doubt this will be much better. After the last 20 or so hours I've spent playing Mass Effect on PC (far better than on 360, BTW), the importance of story, characters, and a believable world is abjectly clear. What I think about the world, and how I choose to play my character, affects everything that goes on in the game, and we need more of that sort of storytelling. I'm even thinking about how I can play my renegade character for the second go-round, and how I'll treat NPCs and situations differently. Plus, it has easily the best cutscenes I've experienced, and that's somewhat because it's actually an experience, not just something to passively watch. If ME is the future of gaming, bring it on.

News Comments > DNF Trailer (Or Lack Thereof) Follow-up
68. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2008, 19:04 Evil Timmy

I wonder if dsmart has any insights into the development process that might explain this, seeing as he's still yet to complete a game...

/I kid, I kid

428 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo