Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 428 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Saints Row 2 Patched
13. Re: Saints Row 2 Patched Jan 27, 2009, 01:06 Evil Timmy

Yeah, it's not a great video card, can't expect that and >1hr battery life, but it runs like dogshit on my friend's Core 2 Quad 2.6/4GB/8800GT as well, which really speaks to the quality of the engine and programmers optimizing it. Haven't run it with this patch yet, but since I've pretty much completed it, I'll probably wait and dig this out again over the summer.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saints Row 2 Patched
8. Re: Saints Row 2 Patched Jan 26, 2009, 22:17 Evil Timmy

Uhh, wow...if you manage a 5% across-the-board performance increase post-release, you're a programming god who probably knows assembler and dreams in binary. If you manage 20%, you have no idea how to write an engine in the first place and should go home before you embarrass yourself further. The game was fun, having to run it at 1024x768 on low with a Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/2GB DC DDR2/8600M GT is sad.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Patch
40. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Jan 25, 2009, 00:32 Evil Timmy

The lack of AA is totally understandable; with so many buildings and objects on screen at once, any AA would cripple GTAIV's already terrible engine performance. However, the port of Saint's Row 2 is even worse, and I have to run it on even crappier settings. Why is it that open-world games that should benefit the most from PC's advantages (faster storage on hard disks, more overall memory) have had some of the crappiest ports in recent memory?

I loved the story in GTAIV, but found everything else sorely lacking. Saint's Row 2 is the opposite, but both have gotten boring quickly, for all their promise of 'open-world freedom'.

News Comments > Depths of Peril Patches
1. Re: Depths of Peril Patches Jan 8, 2009, 00:35 Evil Timmy

If you loved Diablo 2 for the depth of item-whoring and want the kill-collect-sell-upgrade cycle to continue forever, with a few interesting new features but with any dynamic elements stripped out of the combat system...ehh, screw this game, go play Progress Quest, at least that's free.  

News Comments > Clear Sky and Terran Conflict DRM Glitch
4. Re: Clear Sky and Terran Conflict DRM Glitch Jan 3, 2009, 13:21 Evil Timmy

This is why I'm glad sites like GameCopyWorld exist. I've been primarily gaming on a laptop for the last six months, and having to haul around discs just sucks. Steam's offline mode is useful and I buy as many games as possible there, but for everything else the work of Razor1911, Reloaded, and others is appreciated. Not only is hauling the discs around annoying, but if I'm on battery power, that disc spinning up can reduce battery life by more than 30%. Stuff like this is just stupid; the publisher is already paying Valve a cut of their sales, why not take advantage of their inbuilt authentication rather than garner more ill will toward the game, the publisher, and DRM in general if a better solution is already there?  

News Comments > Free Total Overdose
6. Re: Free Total Overdose Dec 31, 2008, 00:52 Evil Timmy

I totally agree with this. GTAIV is a huge leap in technology, but they spent so much money and time and effort creating this hugely detailed city, then gave me so little reason to spend time exploring every nook and cranny of it (flying rats be damned). The realism of it is great throughout the story and most of my gameplay time, but I rarely felt compelled to just cruise around the city, hoping to stumble on a weapon cache or mission. VC and SA did a great job at this, with packages that gave gameplay advantages and plenty of weapons scattered around.

But it seems like the Saint's Row games have taken the fun-open-world crown away from GTA as GTA was getting more serious and full of itself. Both Saint's Row games are ridiculous fun, and despite being really unrealistic, they're pure fun challenges and activities, or exactly what a game should be. Hopefully in the making of the next GTA game the new tech will be settled down enough that they can add more fun content and side stuff to do. How about the turf war of GTA:SA actually being an integral part of the gameplay and story, conferring advantages to the player (backup from baddies and cops in friendly turf, vehicles and weapons from 'stronghold' territories) and opening up new missions? How about more decisions than the last few games have offered? And how about more plain old fun?

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2008, 00:53.

News Comments > Solium Infernum Interview
7. Re: Solium Infernum Interview Dec 26, 2008, 17:24 Evil Timmy

Sounds like GalCiv, but, ehh, HellCiv. We'll see if this is worth caring about a year from now.  

News Comments > Warren Spector's Mickey Mouse Game?
13. Re: Warren Spector's Mickey Mouse Game? Dec 23, 2008, 03:00 Evil Timmy

Epic mickey = huge prank? I didn't think this was April first, but maybe that's just how far this joke extends. Damn you, Warren Spector!  

News Comments > PC Braid in Feb March, Mac Edition Possible
9. Re: PC Braid in Feb March, Mac Edition Possible Dec 23, 2008, 02:56 Evil Timmy

OMG but won't this let the pirates get to it, and then they'll steal it like stealing bread from blind orphans, who maybe have cancer or something, then they'll come to your town and burn an American flag and ring your doorbell at 4am and run away, yes YOU, and then they'll fund terrorism and smoke pot and worship Satan, it'll be the downfall of western society, I'm telling you!

...oh, wait, this isn't one of those threads? Shit, sorry, I had just gotten into the groove of everything at Blue's being the same old arguments about piracy being dragged out and beaten into horse jerky.

So, ehh, yeah, nifty. No Steam means I'm unlikely to bother, as I wasn't blown away with a few short sessions on 360, but I've always though that popular and exclusive was a stupid combo.

News Comments > Need for Speed in Trouble?
42. Re: Need for Speed in Trouble? Dec 14, 2008, 17:45 Evil Timmy

It's disappointing that they didn't go to what Ricitello had talked about earlier this year (from http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168293 ):
We were torturing a very talented group of people up in Vancouver, which makes it harder to be as innovative every year. So, I think we are going to get better from here," Riccitiello said. "Last summer we added head count and split the team in two, so now there are two teams on a 24 month cycle. And this is sort of their first 16 and-a-half month game...Because we didn't do it far enough ago to give us a full two year dev cycle."

Now, if this had come to fruition, I think we might have seen a better NFS series. With two years (and likely a shared engine with shared team members who both add common code and unique features) we might even see a fork in the NFS series, to crib a quote from earlier, with one fork going more Fast and the Furious boy-racer-ish and the other taking a more Top Gear 'amazing cars on amazing roads with great scenery' tack. The best features from one would likely spill over into the other, so whatever flavor you prefer you'd have a great driving experience.

The last three games in the series seem like they've been unsure of what they were trying to do. Carbon was a halfhearted mashup of Most Wanted and Underground, and really felt rushed, along with the singleplayer being terrible (no money to really get a stable of cars, and tedious progression that made an open world feel more limited than a track select menu). ProStreet just didn't feel like a NFS game, and GRID did the same thing ten times better and with some real innovations. Undercover was, well, a mess. It's just like the 2Fast sequels, they just didn't know when to call it quits.

Ending on a funny note, did anyone else find it ironic that the EA exec quoted is named Colin Macrae? (Not exactly the late great, but still...)

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2008, 02:12.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Interview
2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Interview Dec 5, 2008, 02:22 Evil Timmy

Absolutely agree. The first game was truly a gem, a unique game that was putting itself in the same market as CS and its fans, and managed to create a unique, strategic, team-based FPS and have it be constantly different and fun. Getting to build this from the ground up and really make it their game should make this well worth whatever they charge for it, and I hope they'll see some carried-over interest from the people that loved L4D and by release time are looking for something new. The team's insistence on making two sides that play differently, affect the world differently, and are on nearly every level unique, is a nice change of pace from so many FPSes that have either the same old classes or simply everyone the same.  

News Comments > On Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Bugs
4. Re: On Gothic 3 : Forsaken Gods Bugs Nov 28, 2008, 17:36 Evil Timmy

Yet again, JoWood gives their fans a reason to wait six months and pick up their games in the bargain bin, by which time the fans will have painstakingly fixed numerous bugs that the dev wasn't able/allowed to fix. If fans can do it without access to source code, dev tools, or anything else, in their free time, with no pay, why can't JoWood coerce the same thing out of their devs, who do have all of the above, and are (theoretically) professionals?  

News Comments > On GTA IV PC DRM
11. Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 28, 2008, 17:31 Evil Timmy

Steam seems like a better and better option, if for no other reason than it's the lesser of two evils. Especially since my laptop has become my primary PC, not having to haul around discs for whatever I want to play is a great advantage. I'm still surprised that, since the last two years have been a constant repetition of 'game has DRM, DRM is cracked within days so pirates have no issues, DRM causes problems for legit users, legit users complain and cause shitstorm of negative publicity', very few publishers are willing to consider other options, and developers aren't willing to step up and say 'stop screwing with years of our work for no legitimate reason'. GFW is even more of a joke; it's like they took the worst of console multiplayer and badly applied it to PC games, which have had superior options for a decade or more.

Actually, the only good thing I see is in this is Rockstar's Social Club. Multiplayer obviously isn't compelling enough, but nearly everyone seems to like stat whoring and user-generated content, so this might make the PC release more successful than most.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patch Plans
13. Re: It's been pretty solid for me Nov 22, 2008, 06:21 Evil Timmy

Save early, save often comes to mind, but that shouldn't be necessary with a game done as high-profile and high-budget as this. SS2 taught me some lessons, though, so even if a save had screwed up, I would have been safe. I didn't have any issues on my first playthrough (other than the lv20 cap) on my laptop, which uses an 8600M GT, and I really enjoyed the game the whole way through. I like the combination of VATS and real-time, as it presented unique options in terms of the sometimes-too-heavy combat, and let me choose when a precise shot vs maneuvering was the better choice. Not as good as FO1/2 in terms of the choices, but it brought me into the wasteland in a way the previous games couldn't have imagined.

In a weird way, I'm glad Bethesda made a pretty penny off FO3. They may put out another Elder Scrolls game in the interim, but the next Fallout should be incredibly detailed, and using the resources of the upcoming generation of consoles (assuredly with fast internet, a big hard drive, and physical media as a way to jumpstart a much larger experience, not to mention where graphics will be at that point), we should see a scarily detailed and simulated wasteland, one that sinking 100 hours into is just scratching the surface, and which can really give each player a unique story to tell.

Hey, if Bethesda isn't doing it in 2-4 years time, European or other devs will beat them to it, and RPG will be an obsolete term, because if you're not telling a vivid and unique story in whatever you put out, you're writing games for PopCap.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 Oct 28, 2008, 02:11 Evil Timmy

Bought it on Steam after reading Certis' review at GWJ: http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/41928
I was planning on getting it anyways, as a huge fan of the first two (short only of Deus Ex on my favorite games ever list), but that sealed the deal. It seems like they've addressed all the biggest issues that most fans had: they nailed the atmosphere, it's a real choice-based RPG with consequences, and it doesn't feel like Oblivion-with-guns.

I'm almost glad it unlocks while I have to be in school, giving me a whole evening to dig in. If it were unlocking at midnight, I might not have the willpower to leave my desk. Hell, I still might mysteriously come down with something on Wednesday. Look forward to hearing all your opinions, and please, we've had months of the same old complaints, take a breath before you click the icon and try and appreciate it like a new film in a series done by a different director, rather than complaining because it's not the same film shot with better lighting.

News Comments > Dead Space PC Controls Nerfed?
16. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 15:35 Evil Timmy

Wow, this seems a bit retarded. I may just hold off and bargain-bin it when I finally buy my own 360 early next year instead of picking it up on PC. Putting a shooter-action game on PC and not supporting M+K properly is like putting out a fighting game on consoles and then saying "Oh, yeah, btw, we forgot to test this on the standard controllers that come with every console, and it's actually optimized for a racing wheel with pedals." It's non-standard, obtuse, and misses the obvious and best option. EA seems very schizophrenic under the new management, one moment seeming like they understand their customers and are willing to innovate, the next seeming like they're plotting so high up in EA Tower they've forgotten what a normal human being looks like.

News Comments > Space Siege Q&A
9. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 18:56 Evil Timmy

Just fix one thing, please: let me keep moving while I shoot. Add a to-hit penalty, or slow me down, or whatever, but I just recently replayed Crimsonlands and played Shadowgrounds and Larva Mortus (from the Jets'n'Guns dev) not long ago, and the lack of moving while shooting is just stupid. If they're going to strip out nearly all the RPG elements in favor of a weak skill tree and 'parts', they could at least make it a decent action game. Fix that, and charge $20 for the Valu-Soft-esque production quality, and this'd be worth buying. As it stands, it's still inferior to both the DS games, and can't help but feel like Fisher Price's My First Action-RPG (in Space(tm)!)

News Comments > Need for Speed Undercover Trailer
2. Re: No subject Aug 17, 2008, 18:00 Evil Timmy

Seems like the NFS series is really on the decline, and their yearly release schedule is likely what's to blame. Most Wanted was great, and really brought forth the strong points of the series' arcade nature, while also adding to it (tuning your car in the pause menu, for example). Carbon felt a bit like a cheap copy and had a terrible single-player experience, where your car choices were limited by cash and the tracks were largely unimpressive. Pro Street was a step in the wrong direction, losing the arcadey fun without having the precise physics and controls of PGR, Forza, or GRID.

If, for whatever reason, the story sections are doomed to stay, they could at least make them useful. Toss in options or special goals explained by the story (ie take out a racer, win by a certain margin, collect something along the way, drift for x points in addition to winning) and make them work with an RPG-lite system that allows you to win favor with cops, crooks, and neutral sponsors and unlock special races, cars, and parts, in addition to bonus cash. It'd be an easy way to add depth and replayability, and to reward more than just coming in first. Keep the arcade nature of the series, keep tuning simple and flexible, add some depth and please, for the love of Ba'al, if you expect us to take your cutscenes seriously, make a serious effort. When my eight year old cousin finds them unbelievable and ridiculous (and he near-religiously follows a few anime series), it's time to drop the green-screen and get some real actors.

News Comments > TrackMania Sale
3. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2008, 05:50 Evil Timmy

It's about fucking time!

Indeed it is, and getting some of those golds can be really brutal. Grid's more fun cause you get to smash int-

wait what?

News Comments > No Steam Bionic Commando Rearmed
11. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2008, 12:50 Evil Timmy

No Steam makes it unlikely I'll buy this, as I had little interest in the first place. Steam makes impulse purchases fairly easy (about as easy as you could without serious security compromises), and unlike most other DD storefronts or DRM options, it actually adds to the experience by auto-patching games for you and linking you to the community from within the interface. You'd expect Valve to be willing to compromise a little more, or at least have clearly understood policies, because with every Steam game sale, they've effectively installed the best ad platform around. It pops up when you're in the mood to play games and then tells you about new games that are 10% (or more) off or have a free-to-play event. While true numbers would be hard to calculate, I'm sure Valve has added a few feet to their giant mountain of cash courtesy of people who came for one (often cheap) game and then explored the rest of the Steam catalog after getting comfortable with the interface.

If they simply decided to blanket the market, ie offer favorable terms to every developer and publisher, and pushed out new compelling updates with the influx of content, they could easily dictate how digital downloads are run for the next five years. I would love if they actually laid out a standard, along with the rest of the software community, that would even approach the power of RPM or especially apt-get. Base it on Steam (for secure, verified transfers) and some version of RSS (rather than distro servers) to push updates and allow customization, and Steam could become the best way to download software, and any other content, for that matter.

428 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo