Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 3 Steam Sale
18. Re: Fallout 3 Steam Sale Jul 2, 2009, 14:28 Evil Timmy

I'm doing exactly what kxmode suggested. I was considering buying the first DLC, but GFWL was such a turn-off I decided to just wait for a compilation. There have been plenty of games to fill my free time, and plenty going on out in the real world to make sure that time was limited. I figure by the time that pack is out, I'll be ready to start another playthrough and enough time will have passed (and there'll be enough new content) that I can really enjoy exploring the world, not to mention the modding community should have some real hits that will have been playtested, refined, and balanced by then. I wonder if Valve/Bethsoft will either offer a discount for those who have the game already, or let us gift the original (a la the Orange Box) if we buy the full-on package.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No StarCraft II LAN Confirmed
46. Re: No StarCraft II LAN Confirmed Jun 29, 2009, 18:13 Evil Timmy

South Korea has near the highest broadband adoption rate in the world (97.17% of households, second to Monaco {ref} ), so not having LAN play probably isn't that big a deal. I think this is a stupid move, but since when has the gaming industry been really responsive to player demands? (Answer: that stopped when it stopped being three guys in a basement, and is only now coming back with indies, digital distribution, and fast internet.)

In my experience, LAN play dropped off in the US for a few years as broadband exploded ('99-'05), but as laptops have gained massive market share and a reasonable gaming laptop dropped to $1200-1600, LAN play over home wireless networks has seen a resurgence. My cousin and his friends have had a SC LAN revival recently, and between a few desktops scattered around the house and everyone else bringing their laptops, they have little trouble getting 6-12 person games going. The ability to sit on a couch, or even outside with cigarette in hand, and keep playing has certainly made it a less 'darkened basement-cave awash in the pale glow of CRTs' activity and turned it into something more open, social, and friendly.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE
32. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE Jun 11, 2009, 02:33 Evil Timmy

This game's really just over the top and ridiculous. It's a bit more complex than most beat-em-ups, especially as you get further into the game and have more armor, helis, and drones wandering around trying to make your day more frustrating. The speed is amazing, and you really feel like a badass; the camera is almost always right and the controls are tight but appropriately forgiving. While there's not a Saint's Row 2 level of variety, the side missions are fun and the RPG-lite progression gives direction along with the better-than-average writing. The powers, as well as almost always being able to take the stealth option, give every encounter a bit of a different flavor, like Crysis' suit powers but with a more advanced and frenetic beat-em-up tuned feel.

All that said, I think I was sold on the game the first time I sprinted up the side of a building, backflipped off, and piledrove a pursuing helicopter into the ground, sending out a wave of flaming citizens from the explosion as it hit the ground.

News Comments > Matrix Online to End
51. Re: Matrix Online to End May 30, 2009, 19:45 Evil Timmy

I like the idea of opening up these servers after the game closes down...all those licenses for proprietary software could simply be covered by ongoing advertising and dealt with by some branch of the publisher with minimal maintenance. The devs/pubs should make it clear it's their creation but no longer under their control. The community provides the servers, the involved companies generate goodwill and interest in their future works, and the players get to keep enjoying the game. There could even be officially designated handover servers run by trustworthy pillars of the community, where experienced players could keep their years of work via a dump of the official character data. Seems like a win all around.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2009, 19:26 Evil Timmy

Some excellent points there, Z9000, and I generally agree with what you're saying about achievements. For me, they usually come into play when I'm going through a game the second time. I'll go a little out of my way the first time around if an achievement is just a short detour, but when I play the second (or third, and so on) time around, playing for achievements is a good way to enjoy the game in a different way. I'm not slaving to add to my gamerscore or trying to impress other people; they're a way to challenge myself, and I find them most satisfying as a record of my efforts and a way to remember my glorious victories. They're also not a pissing contest, but more an insight into the way people play.

One of my favorite examples is the Little Rocket Man achievement for HL2:EP2. It's a unique challenge, and adds an entirely different layer to the normal gameplay. You'll curse yourself for an improperly placed grenade and find yourself thinking 'where can I stash this little guy?' before firefights, turning a linear and scripted experience into something new. I also love achievements that actually add to and highlight gameplay elements. For example, figuring out that you can shotgun a witch (at the right moment) in L4D to get an achievement also shows you how to get past her if she's blocking your path, while resulting in a few terrifying ass-whoopings while you try and get it right. 'Kill x number of whatever' achievements usually suck, but it's fine to have one or two as a way to track one's progress.

There's also something to be said for satisfying compulsive gamers, which is what the article covers. Reward systems and the psychology behind them have grown along with the science of gaming, and getting that gold star or filling that progress bar is innately satisfying, albeit at different levels to different people. Some gamers just like the 'DING!' effect when it pops up, others obsessively seek it out, but it's nice for both groups. As long as achievements are a mechanism deeply interwoven with gameplay, they're good, it's when they're an afterthought or simply considered a 'value proposition' by upper management that they can bring a game down.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 19:12 Evil Timmy

Don't forget to bring a towel!

*plays Taps on security keypad*

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Trailer
19. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Trailer May 25, 2009, 19:10 Evil Timmy

I hope the SP is more like CoD4's than COD:WAW's. I had played the MP a fair bit, but I sat down last weekend and played the SP, and it didn't take long before I was calling down curses on Treyarch (hope you like those boils, and look out for a plague of frogs soon, suckers). They obviously have no idea how to actually make SP games, as their idea of making the second half of the game more difficult is 'infinitely respawn guys until you blunder forward with a <10% chance of not getting slaughtered and pray for a checkpoint'. This isn't just at one point here or there, though, it's constant, through level upon level. If you want to talk about braindeath-level consolitis, that's a shining example from a bunch of jackasses who dirty both Call of Duty and gaming in general by continuing to exist.  

News Comments > Zeno Clash Demo
17. Re: Zeno Clash Demo May 1, 2009, 21:52 Evil Timmy

You'll fight a boss who chucks squirrel bombs at you, which he snipes to ignite. It's a frenetic shoot-sprint-reload-snipe-pray boss battle with dinosaur-sized Dali-inspired creatures grazing in the background. It's worth trying the game just to see the crazy art style and to see if the melee controls are to your liking, and I think it's a pretty worthwhile purchase that supports an excellent and unique new indie developer.  

News Comments > Game Addiction Study
32. Re: Game Addiction Study Apr 25, 2009, 12:41 Evil Timmy

theyarecomingforyou: Replace SG1 with Atlantis and I'd be highly suspicious you were hiding behind my couch and surreptitiously watching my shows with me.

I'm a strong believer in 'Everything in moderation, including moderation'. I'm going through school and have part-time work (TV and audio production), I'm an avid gamer, but I also go out clubbing, hiking, play sports, watch movies, and a variety of other things. Trying to artificially limit something just because I "feel I shouldn't" seems silly, so I'll do the occasional TV marathon or gaming all-nighter, but there's an overall balance to life that means I stay physically, psychologically, and socially healthy. Even when I'm on the computer for hours on end, I'll be gaming, listening to music, reading, communicating with friends by voice and text, polishing production work in Pro Tools and After Effects, studying a topic for work or school, or keeping up on the latest tech news.

I really think these 'pathological' gamers would be addicted to something else in a different era, but the prevalence of gaming consoles and the simple reward mechanics of most games have made them the go-to choice of kids with addictive personalities these days. It'd be interesting to see a long-term study done to see how many of these kids end up as regular smokers or drug users, or end up with any pathological addictions. I definitely think gaming is a better hobby/addiction than television, however, as it's an increasingly social diversion, has kids accomplishing goals and dealing with moral and interpersonal issues (in a limited way), can involve physical activity, and at a base level is at least an interactive medium.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2009, 12:43.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
9. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Apr 23, 2009, 10:22 Evil Timmy

Wesp, you rock. I've replayed the game twice, and both times have been better and different thanks to your hard work and dedication. What was a shaky mess is now, after years of work, in absolutely top form. Keep up the good work, but not for too long, we don't want you burning out on this one game.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Zeno Clash
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Zeno Clash Apr 21, 2009, 22:32 Evil Timmy

Really enjoyed the 2-3 hours I put into this game today. The art style is striking and unique, to the point that I've found myself just staring at my surroundings when I should have been doing other things, like blocking. Which leads into the melee combat which, shockingly for a PC first-person game played on mouse and keyboard, is great. The whole system works well, and combined with often-frantic weapon grabs in the middle of a fight, has rarely frustrated me, and mostly just been a fun challenge. Voice acting is passable, rarely noticeably bad but rarely amazing either, just there. The plot is still unraveling but it's tied to such an interesting world that I'm definitely paying attention. My only real complaint is that some of the animations and damage hitboxes don't seem to entirely match up, however that could pretty easily be tweaked in a patch.

It's worth $20, and I feel the $10 I paid for it was a steal, for something that's truly a gem.

News Comments > Blizzard's Redneck Rampage?
37. Re: Blizzard's Redneck Rampage? Apr 5, 2009, 15:41 Evil Timmy

Let's see them do a combination of Dungeon Siege and what it looks like they're doing with the new Red Faction game. Give us a big open FPS/TPS world and easy drop-in multiplayer that perfectly meshes with SP, in a land filled with redneck stereotypes. Give us strong playable story missions and an alterable world (overarching decision trees) that affects the main story somewhat but primarily gives different side quest options and opens different areas of the map. That way each person has a unique set of quests, bonuses, items, etc that encourages people to play MP and 'share' their worlds.

I'm still saying this is a late April fools joke.
The funniest April Fool's joke I've been involved in with was actually early. A kid at my middle school thought it was April 1st on March 31st, and we did nothing to disillusion him of his misconception. This meant that his April Fool's joke, coming out as gay, turned out to be more of a serious announcement that he never managed to fully live down, I suspect until he left high school (and probably the state). My, what a difference a day makes.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2009, 15:46.

News Comments > NFS Online Interface
3. Re: NFS Online Interface Mar 2, 2009, 00:55 Evil Timmy

Hrmm, so, generic gray gradients are worthy of this sort of press? If the NFS series hadn't lost me three installments back, I might care, but online driving has never been truly satisfying (mostly due to lag) and the NFS brand is no longer enough of a draw to make me curious. And since it's selling to the Asian market, I'm assuming it'll be box price + micropayments for cars and parts, unless you feel like a tedious week of grinding to get your +2 Spoiler of Handling.  

News Comments > MS: Windows 7 to be "Great for Games"
83. Re: Win7 Feb 23, 2009, 22:26 Evil Timmy

Been using Windows 7 on my laptop since the beta, and I've gotta say I'm perfectly happy with it. Drivers work fine, and the only ones I've updated since (nV Forceware) have detected Win7 in the install and worked perfectly. Game performance is the same if not better (Far Cry 2 runs 5-8fps faster than Vista, for example), and older games including System Shock 2 run just fine.

The UI is significantly more responsive, and for the first time since Windows 2000, it feels like the changes they've made to the interface were thought out by professionals and then tested thoroughly with a variety of users, because when I go to find something that's different, it's in a place that makes sense.

However, unless you're a laptop/netbook user (better portable features and battery life) or buying a new PC, it's still not a compelling upgrade. If you're a fastest-and-newest type, you've probably already got it dual-booted and are running Vista64 on the other partition, so I don't need to tell you. And, in any case, there'll be an RC in April (supposedly) and it'll likely be out in September, so there'll be plenty of time to trot out the same tired crap while ignoring any actual facts about the situation, no need to tire yourselves out early.

Oh, and just so I pass the 'You must be ^THIS^ snarky against M$ to post here' barrier... "we have a strong legacy on PC" haha, yeah, a legacy is all they want on pc, wait for office '10 for xbox720, greedy bastards!!!!

News Comments > EFF versus DRM
3. Re: EFF versus DRM Feb 14, 2009, 16:01 Evil Timmy

This election season, Barack got $50 from me and so did the EFF. I've been aware of Brad Templeton since he ran rec.humor.funny around '90, and he's constantly been on the forefront of making sure the Internet is a better place to be. The EFF picks their cases and causes wisely, fights them well, and ensures that the future isn't dampened by greedy immediacy.  

News Comments > Red Alert 3: Uprising Trailer
1. Re: Red Alert 3: Uprising Trailer Feb 2, 2009, 18:05 Evil Timmy

Let me move my units as a group that doesn't all take off at their own speed, which Rise of Nations did almost six years ago, and then we'll talk. I'm tired of watching my AA units rush forward and get slaughtered while my tanks take their dear sweet time and get to the battle with no air cover, and many other similar situations. AI may be a sticking point across all genres, but at least give me more control over my own units to compensate. FPSes may be only slowly evolving, but at least they've compiled more innovations than 'unit powers' since 1993.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2009, 18:09.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2009, 14:35 Evil Timmy

I've been using the beta of Windows 7 on my laptop, and so far I'm sold on it. The changes to the taskbar are a real improvement, the interface is fresh-install-of-XP fast, many dialogues have been reworked to make sense rather than just changed a la Vista, and laptop settings (power, display, wireless) are all vastly improved. That, coupled with generally improved performance and DX11 actually adding meaningful features for users and devs, means my next gaming PC will almost certainly be a Win7 box.  

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Details
75. Re: Deus Ex 3 Details Feb 1, 2009, 00:01 Evil Timmy

The reason WSAD is popular is that it makes the larger side keys, which are usually mapped to vital movement functions, more easily accessible. ESDF, while potentially better for hardcore games and gamers, means you have to reach for Ctrl and Shift, and Alt is underneath your palm. With WSAD, Alt and Space fall just to either side of most people's thumb, while your pinky rests between Shift and Ctrl. This makes the most frequently used keys obvious and unmissable, and that's good as they require you to press them quickly and accurately in combat. Most of the rest of the functions don't need to be pressed right away, and if you have to glance down at your keyboard, it's unlikely you'll die because of it. This isn't to say that one or the other is necessarily better, just that WSAD does have its advantages.  

News Comments > Saints Row 2 Patched
13. Re: Saints Row 2 Patched Jan 27, 2009, 01:06 Evil Timmy

Yeah, it's not a great video card, can't expect that and >1hr battery life, but it runs like dogshit on my friend's Core 2 Quad 2.6/4GB/8800GT as well, which really speaks to the quality of the engine and programmers optimizing it. Haven't run it with this patch yet, but since I've pretty much completed it, I'll probably wait and dig this out again over the summer.  

News Comments > Saints Row 2 Patched
8. Re: Saints Row 2 Patched Jan 26, 2009, 22:17 Evil Timmy

Uhh, wow...if you manage a 5% across-the-board performance increase post-release, you're a programming god who probably knows assembler and dreams in binary. If you manage 20%, you have no idea how to write an engine in the first place and should go home before you embarrass yourself further. The game was fun, having to run it at 1024x768 on low with a Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/2GB DC DDR2/8600M GT is sad.  

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo