Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 428 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Glitch
5. Re: Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Glitch Oct 23, 2009, 13:41 Evil Timmy

JoWood kind of reminds me of watching pro sports teams from Seattle. They're not so abysmally bad that you give up on them completely, as there's glimmers of something great there. But the vast majority of the time, you can count on them to screw up and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, crushing what little hope you'd managed to regain since last time. You really want to believe that they'll succeed this time, but deep down you know the same mistakes will be made, over and over.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 GotY Edition
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 GotY Edition Oct 14, 2009, 02:29 Evil Timmy

Also, if you're a student, you can pick up an upgrade edition of Win7 Home Premium for $30, you just need a .edu email (order here). Pro's the same price if you click on a 'I need to logon to a domain' link in the order process. That's a $170 discount, as well as adding domain logins and the fully-virtualized XP Mode for older apps and games. I've been running the betas and RC since January and I'm very happy with it, it's fast, stable, and finally has a bunch of changes for the better. The WinKey+Arrows shortcut is so useful for managing multiple windows across multiple monitors that it's a jolt to work without it, and the multi-monitor switch (WinKey+P) is great as well.

I might finally get back to FO3 now that this is out, but since I'm in the middle of Risen (+school +work) I think I'll hold off and hope for a decent sale for Christmas. I haven't played any of the DLC, but that's because I gave it a good and evil playthrough when it came out, and wanted to wait to thoroughly explore the world again.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 02:32.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Zombie Shooter 2
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Zombie Shooter 2 Oct 10, 2009, 16:11 Evil Timmy

This is a pretty ridiculously fun game. The vehicle bits are a highlight, but the graphics and overall game are an improvement from much of their work. Resolution is higher, animations are better, AI rarely just walks in circles on the other side of the wall, secrets are well-done, and there's just...MORE. If you didn't like Sigma Team's other games, this is the same deal. If you did, you'll appreciate a few evolutionary steps they've taken. But it's still pew-pew splat-splat boom, and lots of it.  

News Comments > More Warcraft Film Details
18. Re: More Warcraft Film Details Oct 2, 2009, 17:40 Evil Timmy

kxmode: IT'S WEB 2.0 BITCH! Welcome to the future. But yeah, they've been doing that since the beginning. I doubt anyone could survive having to update all that trivia as a 40-hour-a-week job. The suicide/institutionalized rate would be astronomical.  

News Comments > Audiosurf Patched, New Site, On Sale
2. Re: Audiosurf Patched, New Site, On Sale Oct 1, 2009, 17:10 Evil Timmy

Hmm, might be time to redownload this, it's been staring at me from the Steam 'Not Installed' list for a while now.  

News Comments > Dragon Age Origins Trailer
9. Re: should have named him Sep 24, 2009, 23:48 Evil Timmy

Cutter: No big surprise, as Jack was played by John DiMaggio, better known as Bender from Futurama. Also, seemingly about half of all the US animated series from this decade, as well as various games.  

News Comments > Making of Risen Trailer
3. Re: Making of Risen Trailer Sep 24, 2009, 22:27 Evil Timmy

Seems like it's worldwide, which isn't surprising given it's a 360 release as well and has to go through that whole certification process. That also means the chance of it being a bugfest will certainly be less than it has been. The community patch team has done amazing work on G3, but they really shouldn't have to.

Really looking forward to this, it might finally be a polished Gothic now that JoWood is out of the picture.

News Comments > Need for Speed SHIFT Patch
5. Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Patch Sep 22, 2009, 12:48 Evil Timmy

Blech, and on top of that, the performance is pretty poor (GRID looks nicer and runs better on my PC). And, despite seemingly every other port in existence being console-controller-happy, even when using a 360 controller all the button labels are still for keyboard and don't always have an equivalent, so I'm switching between KB and sticks just to navigate menus. I had to switch my desktop res to 1280x800, delete the graphics config file, and relaunch the game to get it to change res and thus play acceptably. I think this is getting shelved until a few more patches come out, if they ever do.  

News Comments > Borderlands Trailers
8. Re: Borderlands Trailers Sep 16, 2009, 15:48 Evil Timmy

Any news on the rumors that the PC version will have split-screen co-op? I've been bringing a laptop to a friend's place and playing games on a big flatscreen, but it'd be nice if there were more than hotseat MP games to play on one PC. I might have to handicap myself with a 360 controller and give M+K to a friend to level the playing field a bit...  

News Comments > Arkham Asylum Free DLC for PC Too
27. Re: Arkham Asylum Free DLC for PC Too Sep 9, 2009, 05:56 Evil Timmy

The demo was really enjoyable, and the controller support is probably the best I've ever seen. It works seamlessly with both M+K and a 360 controller (under Win7), and not only can you use both at the same time (analog stick for motion, mouse for aim) but it'll switch the in-game icons depending on what you pressed last. That, and the fact that it runs smoothly on high at 1280x800 with a two year old laptop and 8600M GT while looking just stunning, and that it's a great game on top of that, has launched this to the top of my must-buy list. Any word on a Steam release?

EDIT: Got off my lazy ass and checked, it's up on the 15th on Steam.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 05:58.

News Comments > FCC Considers Unified Ratings System
7. Re: FCC Considers Unified Ratings System Aug 28, 2009, 17:51 Evil Timmy

Uhh, wasn't there a report that showed that games have the lowest numbers of underage buyers as compared to movies? And check out some of Bill Harris' articles over at Dubious Quality on issues of ratings systems. The games industry is well ahead of any other in terms of making clear what content games contain and how it's experienced.

And, as always, good parenting is far superior to any government regulation. Everyone has friends and unsupervised time, so it's up to parents to discuss issues of violence, conflict, and sexuality with their kids, because simply trying to lock down their own home is insufficient. Keeping up a dialogue is the best thing parents can do, and expecting anything handed down from on high (read into that phrase what you will) to adequately deal with your child's unique intelligence, temperament, and experience is foolish. It's not only lulling you into a false sense of security but will only serve to undermine your efforts when they inevitably see what's out there.

News Comments > PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? [Updated]
55. Re: PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? Aug 19, 2009, 23:29 Evil Timmy

The Advocate: Really? I gave up on WaW when it got into the last few levels. I got stuck at one bit, got frustrated, then decided to play around a little bit, and discovered that there's a scripted tripwire that you have to pass, and until then the game will throw endless enemies at you. There's no killing them all (I tried), so rather than carefully scripting a challenging sequence and letting you move on, you have to move forward to trip a certain point, then one after, then one after, then hit a checkpoint. I finally got past that bit, only to realize that the last four or five maps in the game did that exclusively. In other words, no realism, no logic, just endless streams of baddies until you hit the next tripwire, and the next, and the next. Personally, I think that's unforgivably lazy and shoddy game design if it's done once, but for the last third of a game, if not more? Treyarch certainly won't be getting a dime out of me after that crap.  

News Comments > Serious Sam HD Trailer
15. Re: Looking forward to this... Aug 16, 2009, 00:48 Evil Timmy

I'm glad for this, if only because it means more Serious Sam co-op play. The single player was only a warmup for that kind of chaos, four players with around four times the enemies. DM was alright, but that was (and hopefully, will be again soon) the way to go.  

News Comments > Darkest of Days Demo
7. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 16:52 Evil Timmy

- LOOKS BADASS
- IS BADASS
(from the nifty video you get after conquering the demo)

This describes the demo perfectly. Graphics aren't the shader-heavy modern stuff PC gamers are used to, but it's more than playable and the concept is awesome. It's both a breath of fresh air and a throwback at the same time, and I'll happily pay to support an indie dev who's putting out something fun, innovative, and clever like this.

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Preorders
3. Re: Need for Speed Preorders Aug 8, 2009, 14:55 Evil Timmy

After DIRT and especially GRID, I've come to expect a bit more out of my racing games. Arcadey fun doesn't have to mean pointless variations on a game that used to be good, oh, fifteen years ago, but hasn't had a sign of life since Most Wanted. The only game with the NFS name attached that I'm remotely interested in is the Criterion-developed reboot coming next year. Seeing as the Burnout games are NFS taken to an extreme, I'm curious to see how they'll merge the two styles. If it's Most Wanted but crazier, or Paradise with customization and variety, I'll be overjoyed.  

News Comments > New Left 4 Dead DLC Next Month
41. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 14:46 Evil Timmy

I don't know if you guys have seen the movie poster for this chapter ( here), but...is that a Strider in the background? There have been little hints that Valve's games are tied together, none more obvious than Portal and HL2:EP2, but is this a step further? After the next incarnations of HL2, Portal, and L4D, could we see HL3 tie up how all these worlds are connected?

Aperture Science was, however loosely, tied to Black Mesa, and it seems like they were working in related aspects of portal research. Aliens came through the portal, and already had a way of infecting and controlling us, via headcrabs. Couldn't one of their diseases, or even one of our diseases faced with their alien biology, have mutated into the plague that's facing the protagonists of L4D? And might the Combine have had an easier time conquering Earth if most of its population were already dead? (IE the gap between HL and HL2) If they had intended it, they could simply have activated a biological kill switch to minimize cleanup. The scattered remnants of humanity breathe a confused sigh of relief, only to find themselves invaded by a prepared and powerful alien threat. War is impossible, meaning their only hope is to organize an underground resistance, as seen in HL2 and the Eps. (TF2 and CS are obviously experimental arenas, set up by sadistic and evil alien scientists to test the limits of human endurance and the strength of the human mind when faced by a Valhalla-like circle of endless death, rebirth, and battle.)

Or am I just dreaming, thinking that a developer would be working on that level of devious creativity?

News Comments > RAGE Faster on PC, 360
50. Re: RAGE Faster on PC, 360 Jul 30, 2009, 17:37 Evil Timmy

Since this discussion has diverged anyways, let's try yet another direction. After years of PC having (and often deserving) the reputation of being insanely expensive for gamers, now we've got $100 video cards that can play most games at full detail at 1920x1200 with varying levels of AA (see this HardOCP review of the Radeon 4770). With consoles a few years from their next generation, could we see every new PC shipping with a graphics card that can output 1080p res at high quality, and what would that do to the next generation of consoles? Also, with even bargain graphics cards able to handle current-gen games, what does that mean for AMD and nVidia? Will they take on Intel, and how will they convince the average user, and thus OEMs, that at least a decent GPU is important?

I've certainly run into many people who have Intel integrated graphics and are disappointed and confused when they try and play any modern 3d games, but the problem is most people don't understand how graphics cards work, because discrete graphics have always been targeted at enthusiasts. I really think we could see the PC become completely dominant, if people understood what they could do, but most users think PC = internet, Word, and PopCap games, and maybe WoW (which doesn't help), and consoles = fun game time with friends. The PC needs better marketing, but since Microsoft doesn't seem to care much about gaming on the PC, somebody else needs to step up and squash the now vastly outdated myths about the cost and trouble involved, and at the same time be working to ensure they're not lying out their ass. Valve/Steam would be kind of ideal as it shows how slick and simple PC gaming can be, but I'm also sure that most big publishers won't want to cannibalize console sales by splitting their market and mindshare.

Rather than anything profoundly clear and delineated, I think PCs just might sneak up on their console brethren, especially if the increasingly popular laptop market starts adding better graphics chips, if for no other reason than to improve HD video processing. If AMD/nV target that market, and a whole generation of laptops end up with HDMI out, great HD playback, and high-quality gaming support standard, it might just start to erode the current domination consoles have over the market.

News Comments > RAGE Details
2. Re: RAGE Details Jul 21, 2009, 20:44 Evil Timmy

This game really seems like what I figured out for my ideal game a few years back, combining racing, shooter combat, strong RPG elements, and a reasonably open world. While the last two elements really remain to be seen and probably won't be clear until I actually get time to sit down with the game, my biggest fear is that this will be another Doom 3. There will be a patina of an awesome game on a shiny engine, and that slight hint of much greater things will make the end result even more disappointing (I couldn't help but think of SS2 with fully dynamic lighting and awesome-looking seamless computer interfaces). The console controller bit doesn't even bother me that much, it just means there won't be a stupid number of rarely used controls and I'll definitely be playing it on the highest difficulty setting with a gaming mouse. In fact, it might even end up like GTAIV, where I play the shooting sequences with M+K and get around with a 360 controller. All in all, I'm very interested but burned enough times to avoid excitement.  

News Comments > Valve on Community Funding
26. Re: Valve on Community Funding Jul 21, 2009, 03:19 Evil Timmy

I'd certainly throw $50 in the direction of Eskil Steenberg (developer of Love, the trippy proceedural multiplayer art...thingy) or developers like that. And Mount&Blade is a great example of something similar happening successfully. It's not like someone would come asking for money with nothing but pen scribbles on a napkin, but with good support a talented programmer could hire an artist, or a three-person team could start working full time, or something like that. Even the slow-moving and entrenched music industry is starting to see artists connecting with fans, raising funding in unique ways, and adapting to a much more collaborative environment. As long as Valve sets the example and makes it clear how funding rounds work, what your dollar buys you, and guides a few test cases through to build investor confidence, this could be a huge deal for indie developers worldwide.  

News Comments > Open World Tomb Raider?
5. Re: Open World Tomb Raider? Jul 13, 2009, 15:55 Evil Timmy

Ugh...is anyone else getting seriously tired of 'open-world' being the catchphrase du jour when all it means and continues to mean is that you can do a few missions in any order before proceeding on to the next checkpoint? If traditional FPSes are 'the long hallway', I propose we call these open-world games 'the big room'. While the hallway certainly isn't as narrow, there's really only one entrance and one exit, and what you do until you follow the same linear progression rarely affects more than a slight skill/item/cash bump vs just following the path. The best games, so far, have simply provided a larger sandbox for the same antics, and have rarely gone beyond "Hey, we put pigeons/packages/diamonds/jumps everywhere, good luck finding them all if you're a neurotic completionist or just looking for an achievement."

While it will take a sea change in the industry before we see anything that's truly open-world and freeform, couldn't we do something as basic as effective choice in that "big room"? Give us a few (probably three, at least) major baddies or obstacles. Then make the order affect how each plays out. Some dialogue and most set pieces should be reusable, but make the first one the player chooses to attack easier, which story-wise should allow the other two to flourish, or at least gird themselves for the inevitable assault. Make side missions worth more than a wad of cash, have those lieutenants you're supposedly taking out actually be a part of the fighting force in larger story missions, for you to kill in advance or face as part of a larger force later. Or make a raid on a fuel depot remove tanks from another mission, meaning more light vehicles and ground troops, who in turn aren't there to protect an outpost/side mission. There's myriad options, it just requires there be some basic logical ecosystem to the world we're playing in.

Probably the best example of swing-and-a-miss in recent memory has been Far Cry 2. The game leads you to believe you have a choice, and can really change things by your decisions, but the only real choice is pointless and right at the end, and caps off the story rather than affecting gameplay. During the other 99% of the game, your only choice is how much time you want to waste to make the game easier, by taking safe houses and hunting for diamonds (and contemplating just quitting after the same...damn...thing time and time again, everywhere). The outposts were probably the pinnacle of a series of asinine design decisions; you'd slaughter a half-dozen soldiers, burn a couple huts, and then five minutes later you'd drive through again and they'd be restaffed and repaired. They must have a great agency to get fresh soldiers that quick, and ones that don't question the fact that certain spots have new job opportunities opening every ten minutes. It really hammered home how pathetic your flailing attempts to make a lasting dent in the game world really were.

428 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo