Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 432 (Amateur)
User ID 19465
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2009, 16:00 Evil Timmy
Some excellent points there, Prez, and I agree with pretty much everything. Seeing as the majority of the industry can't figure out what to do with even the console market, getting clear data out of the fractured PC market is impossible, much less interpreting it to draw correct conclusions. MMOs bring in a ton of revenue, but often to the exclusion of other games. "Casual" games are now on every platform on Earth and take in revenue via subscriptions, direct purchase, advertising, microtransactions, through portals, with sponsorships, and probably a half dozen other ways, and cover the spectrum from games a three-year-old could play to something like Kongregate's meta-card-game and achievement system.

On top of that, I suspect most serious PC gamers are like myself, buying >90% of my games from Steam or Impulse because the DRM is less onerous (especially with a gaming laptop) and the advantages of the platform, not to mention the prices, more than make up for it. I bought Left 4 Dead 2 for $30 from Dell (and all the disc does is makes the initial install faster), and before that...I can't even remember the last game I bought boxed. Doom 3, maybe, 'cause I got the cacodemon statuette for pre-ordering? Hell, that may have been the catalyst for never buying games from a retail store right there.

If consoles are in trouble for any reason, it's that you can get a reasonable gaming PC and plug it into your HDTV, and have it play all your games, as well as being an HTPC and general purpose box, for around $600. Tuck it away and all you need is power, HDMI, networking, and a receiver for your wireless KB/M and you're set. I'm seeing this setup in more and more non-techie living rooms, and it'll only get more commonplace as things get faster, cheaper, and slicker.

Edit: The one thing that PC games are missing is better multi-input support (sofa mode), which is stupidly missing from even console ports, despite the PC having the extra memory to handle this with ease, and it's one clear and decisive advantage consoles retain. I've got a 360 controller with USB receiver for my PC, and so far I've found one game that'll happily play along with multiple 360 controllers: Lego Indiana Jones. The rest either won't do splitscreen at all (MP or nothing), or occasionally will but won't support more than one of the same controller.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 16:04.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Steam Top 10ish
18. Re: Steam Top 10ish Nov 15, 2009, 21:04 Evil Timmy
One of my all-time favorite horrible, despicable, groan-inducing bad jokes...

What time does Sean Connery like to arrive when attending Wimbledon?

*runs away before shock turns into rage*
News Comments > Valve Working on "Stuff"
14. Re: Valve Working on Nov 12, 2009, 17:20 Evil Timmy
Aah, good old "stuff". It's my favorite subcategory of "things".

With the success of the Orange Box, I wouldn't be surprised to see Valve do a similar thing, especially because it was a successful jaunt onto consoles for them. I suspect they've been doing some serious work on Source 2, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see it as a DX11/360/PS3 engine, so they've got a stable multi-platform solution to build on and license out for the next couple of years. UE3 definitely benefited from that cross-platform support, far better tools, and has gotten extra attention recently with their free-with-strings engine release, which seems like a great way to indoctrinate/train future game developers.
News Comments > MechWarrior 4 at Midnight? (No) [Updated]
12. Re: MechWarrior 4 at Midnight? (No) Oct 28, 2009, 02:25 Evil Timmy
Yeah, same here, except I saw a kid who painted a sunflower. He did a really good job with the fingerpaints, and only sneezed on it once or twice. It was still a sunflower, though, so no reason I'd want to see an original Van Gogh painting of the same thing. It's all the same, right?

Forgive the overabundance of sarcasm, but the game's graphics are your window into the world. While they're not the most important thing, they are our most direct and immediate connection to the game. Why you'd even use a DX7 engine now, beyond cost-cutting, is confusing. Developers had their hands on DX7 over a decade ago, and things have improved vastly since then, in every way, for gamers, programmers, and hardware manufacturers. While I'm glad MW is getting some attention, this doesn't seem like it'll bring a new generation into the fold. At best, it'll be a nice romp through memory lane.
News Comments > Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Glitch
5. Re: Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Glitch Oct 23, 2009, 13:41 Evil Timmy
JoWood kind of reminds me of watching pro sports teams from Seattle. They're not so abysmally bad that you give up on them completely, as there's glimmers of something great there. But the vast majority of the time, you can count on them to screw up and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, crushing what little hope you'd managed to regain since last time. You really want to believe that they'll succeed this time, but deep down you know the same mistakes will be made, over and over.  
News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 GotY Edition
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 GotY Edition Oct 14, 2009, 02:29 Evil Timmy
Also, if you're a student, you can pick up an upgrade edition of Win7 Home Premium for $30, you just need a .edu email (order here). Pro's the same price if you click on a 'I need to logon to a domain' link in the order process. That's a $170 discount, as well as adding domain logins and the fully-virtualized XP Mode for older apps and games. I've been running the betas and RC since January and I'm very happy with it, it's fast, stable, and finally has a bunch of changes for the better. The WinKey+Arrows shortcut is so useful for managing multiple windows across multiple monitors that it's a jolt to work without it, and the multi-monitor switch (WinKey+P) is great as well.

I might finally get back to FO3 now that this is out, but since I'm in the middle of Risen (+school +work) I think I'll hold off and hope for a decent sale for Christmas. I haven't played any of the DLC, but that's because I gave it a good and evil playthrough when it came out, and wanted to wait to thoroughly explore the world again.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 02:32.
News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Zombie Shooter 2
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Zombie Shooter 2 Oct 10, 2009, 16:11 Evil Timmy
This is a pretty ridiculously fun game. The vehicle bits are a highlight, but the graphics and overall game are an improvement from much of their work. Resolution is higher, animations are better, AI rarely just walks in circles on the other side of the wall, secrets are well-done, and there's just...MORE. If you didn't like Sigma Team's other games, this is the same deal. If you did, you'll appreciate a few evolutionary steps they've taken. But it's still pew-pew splat-splat boom, and lots of it.  
News Comments > More Warcraft Film Details
18. Re: More Warcraft Film Details Oct 2, 2009, 17:40 Evil Timmy
kxmode: IT'S WEB 2.0 BITCH! Welcome to the future. But yeah, they've been doing that since the beginning. I doubt anyone could survive having to update all that trivia as a 40-hour-a-week job. The suicide/institutionalized rate would be astronomical.  
News Comments > Audiosurf Patched, New Site, On Sale
2. Re: Audiosurf Patched, New Site, On Sale Oct 1, 2009, 17:10 Evil Timmy
Hmm, might be time to redownload this, it's been staring at me from the Steam 'Not Installed' list for a while now.  
News Comments > Dragon Age Origins Trailer
9. Re: should have named him Sep 24, 2009, 23:48 Evil Timmy
Cutter: No big surprise, as Jack was played by John DiMaggio, better known as Bender from Futurama. Also, seemingly about half of all the US animated series from this decade, as well as various games.  
News Comments > Making of Risen Trailer
3. Re: Making of Risen Trailer Sep 24, 2009, 22:27 Evil Timmy
Seems like it's worldwide, which isn't surprising given it's a 360 release as well and has to go through that whole certification process. That also means the chance of it being a bugfest will certainly be less than it has been. The community patch team has done amazing work on G3, but they really shouldn't have to.

Really looking forward to this, it might finally be a polished Gothic now that JoWood is out of the picture.
News Comments > Need for Speed SHIFT Patch
5. Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Patch Sep 22, 2009, 12:48 Evil Timmy
Blech, and on top of that, the performance is pretty poor (GRID looks nicer and runs better on my PC). And, despite seemingly every other port in existence being console-controller-happy, even when using a 360 controller all the button labels are still for keyboard and don't always have an equivalent, so I'm switching between KB and sticks just to navigate menus. I had to switch my desktop res to 1280x800, delete the graphics config file, and relaunch the game to get it to change res and thus play acceptably. I think this is getting shelved until a few more patches come out, if they ever do.  
News Comments > Borderlands Trailers
8. Re: Borderlands Trailers Sep 16, 2009, 15:48 Evil Timmy
Any news on the rumors that the PC version will have split-screen co-op? I've been bringing a laptop to a friend's place and playing games on a big flatscreen, but it'd be nice if there were more than hotseat MP games to play on one PC. I might have to handicap myself with a 360 controller and give M+K to a friend to level the playing field a bit...  
News Comments > Arkham Asylum Free DLC for PC Too
27. Re: Arkham Asylum Free DLC for PC Too Sep 9, 2009, 05:56 Evil Timmy
The demo was really enjoyable, and the controller support is probably the best I've ever seen. It works seamlessly with both M+K and a 360 controller (under Win7), and not only can you use both at the same time (analog stick for motion, mouse for aim) but it'll switch the in-game icons depending on what you pressed last. That, and the fact that it runs smoothly on high at 1280x800 with a two year old laptop and 8600M GT while looking just stunning, and that it's a great game on top of that, has launched this to the top of my must-buy list. Any word on a Steam release?

EDIT: Got off my lazy ass and checked, it's up on the 15th on Steam.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 05:58.
News Comments > FCC Considers Unified Ratings System
7. Re: FCC Considers Unified Ratings System Aug 28, 2009, 17:51 Evil Timmy
Uhh, wasn't there a report that showed that games have the lowest numbers of underage buyers as compared to movies? And check out some of Bill Harris' articles over at Dubious Quality on issues of ratings systems. The games industry is well ahead of any other in terms of making clear what content games contain and how it's experienced.

And, as always, good parenting is far superior to any government regulation. Everyone has friends and unsupervised time, so it's up to parents to discuss issues of violence, conflict, and sexuality with their kids, because simply trying to lock down their own home is insufficient. Keeping up a dialogue is the best thing parents can do, and expecting anything handed down from on high (read into that phrase what you will) to adequately deal with your child's unique intelligence, temperament, and experience is foolish. It's not only lulling you into a false sense of security but will only serve to undermine your efforts when they inevitably see what's out there.
News Comments > PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? [Updated]
55. Re: PC Modern Warfare 2 $60? Aug 19, 2009, 23:29 Evil Timmy
The Advocate: Really? I gave up on WaW when it got into the last few levels. I got stuck at one bit, got frustrated, then decided to play around a little bit, and discovered that there's a scripted tripwire that you have to pass, and until then the game will throw endless enemies at you. There's no killing them all (I tried), so rather than carefully scripting a challenging sequence and letting you move on, you have to move forward to trip a certain point, then one after, then one after, then hit a checkpoint. I finally got past that bit, only to realize that the last four or five maps in the game did that exclusively. In other words, no realism, no logic, just endless streams of baddies until you hit the next tripwire, and the next, and the next. Personally, I think that's unforgivably lazy and shoddy game design if it's done once, but for the last third of a game, if not more? Treyarch certainly won't be getting a dime out of me after that crap.  
News Comments > Serious Sam HD Trailer
15. Re: Looking forward to this... Aug 16, 2009, 00:48 Evil Timmy
I'm glad for this, if only because it means more Serious Sam co-op play. The single player was only a warmup for that kind of chaos, four players with around four times the enemies. DM was alright, but that was (and hopefully, will be again soon) the way to go.  
News Comments > Darkest of Days Demo
7. Re: Darkest of Days Demo Aug 11, 2009, 16:52 Evil Timmy
(from the nifty video you get after conquering the demo)

This describes the demo perfectly. Graphics aren't the shader-heavy modern stuff PC gamers are used to, but it's more than playable and the concept is awesome. It's both a breath of fresh air and a throwback at the same time, and I'll happily pay to support an indie dev who's putting out something fun, innovative, and clever like this.
News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Preorders
3. Re: Need for Speed Preorders Aug 8, 2009, 14:55 Evil Timmy
After DIRT and especially GRID, I've come to expect a bit more out of my racing games. Arcadey fun doesn't have to mean pointless variations on a game that used to be good, oh, fifteen years ago, but hasn't had a sign of life since Most Wanted. The only game with the NFS name attached that I'm remotely interested in is the Criterion-developed reboot coming next year. Seeing as the Burnout games are NFS taken to an extreme, I'm curious to see how they'll merge the two styles. If it's Most Wanted but crazier, or Paradise with customization and variety, I'll be overjoyed.  
News Comments > New Left 4 Dead DLC Next Month
41. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 5, 2009, 14:46 Evil Timmy
I don't know if you guys have seen the movie poster for this chapter ( here), that a Strider in the background? There have been little hints that Valve's games are tied together, none more obvious than Portal and HL2:EP2, but is this a step further? After the next incarnations of HL2, Portal, and L4D, could we see HL3 tie up how all these worlds are connected?

Aperture Science was, however loosely, tied to Black Mesa, and it seems like they were working in related aspects of portal research. Aliens came through the portal, and already had a way of infecting and controlling us, via headcrabs. Couldn't one of their diseases, or even one of our diseases faced with their alien biology, have mutated into the plague that's facing the protagonists of L4D? And might the Combine have had an easier time conquering Earth if most of its population were already dead? (IE the gap between HL and HL2) If they had intended it, they could simply have activated a biological kill switch to minimize cleanup. The scattered remnants of humanity breathe a confused sigh of relief, only to find themselves invaded by a prepared and powerful alien threat. War is impossible, meaning their only hope is to organize an underground resistance, as seen in HL2 and the Eps. (TF2 and CS are obviously experimental arenas, set up by sadistic and evil alien scientists to test the limits of human endurance and the strength of the human mind when faced by a Valhalla-like circle of endless death, rebirth, and battle.)

Or am I just dreaming, thinking that a developer would be working on that level of devious creativity?
432 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

Blue's News logo