Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Alien Breed: Impact Demo and Pre-Purchases
12. Re: Alien Breed: Impact Demo and Pre-Purchases May 29, 2010, 00:42 Evil Timmy

Not a big fan of the clunky controls, and I know it's a popular effect, but I think I spent more time looking at a blurred screen than a clear one. Nearly every action and attack makes the screen shake and blur, and coupled with the aiming system, it makes it feel like you're wearing oven mitts. It feels old-school in the worst kind of way. I might pick it up at the next Christmas sale for $2, but it doesn't seem worth even this low ($13.50) of a full price.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway
11. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 16:16 Evil Timmy

Yeah, the last free weekend completely un-sold me on the game. Even with the glut of new players, I spent half the time either waiting to join a game or waiting for that game to migrate to a different host. And while I thought standards for MP were improving, this feels like the early days of CS, where certain weapons are overpowered and ping is absolutely everything. I really think BC2 pulls off this style a lot better, and I prefer the money I spend actually have a chance of reaching the people who made the game. Also, Bobby Kotick can eat all the dicks for making it clear that everyone, from gamers to developers, are filth that should consider themselves privileged to bask in the glow of his radiant magnificence and corporate acumen.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 6, 2010, 17:03 Evil Timmy

While motion blur shaders can somewhat compensate for it, the big difference is that film and video cameras capture the entire 1/24th (or 1/30th) of a second, whereas your video card only renders a snapshot in time. This means you need a higher framerate for your brain to perceive continuous motion. Pause your DVD during an action scene and you'll see that it's blurry, but yet it looks clear while playing.

I used to be annoyed by 60Hz CRTs, as in light areas the flicker was perceptible, whereas at 75Hz or higher it disappeared. And the new DLP projectors in movie theaters are a godsend, because even at 48Hz (each 24fps frame has the lamp flashed through it twice) the flicker really bugged me, especially in scenes with a lot of motion.

News Comments > MechWarrior 4 Workarounds
8. Re: MechWarrior 4 Workarounds May 2, 2010, 21:04 Evil Timmy

Why they didn't publish a torrent in the first place, and prefer it, is beyond me. Bundle an installer with the assets (which is 98% of the data) and just get the few necessary updates, keeping it in your MTX ecosystem but saving on bandwidth and embarrassing downtime when you're trying to get good PR for future projects. It's not 2001, where most people are on dialup and 2GB is obscenely huge. These days, 2GB of free game means people with even a passing interest will download it almost without thinking.

For Wowbagger or anyone else who can't get the torrent, I've rehosted it on MediaFire here (Edit: This torrent is the one from ISOHunt, so it has DHT/PX enabled as well as using a variety of public trackers like openbittorrent and ilibr in addition to Mektek's tracker, which as of this post is still up)

This comment was edited on May 2, 2010, 21:47.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2010, 20:38 Evil Timmy

I can definitely second what banddirector is saying. Winter was mild and mid-February through mid-March were unseasonably warm and nice. Since then the weather's been crappy with virtually no let-up. It was especially harsh after spending a week in California (Coachella was awesome!) then having to come back to Seattle weather that felt like all the stereotypes people have, rather than the normal mild partly-cloudy weather we usually have.  

News Comments > PC Conviction Delay Explained
11. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 14:53 Evil Timmy

To paraphrase Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and press releases."  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Just Cause 2
47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Just Cause 2 Mar 28, 2010, 08:50 Evil Timmy

Bolo patch for the full version is here: http://m0.to/BOLOPatch/betachanged.php  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2010, 17:46 Evil Timmy

If that's all you do in ME2's combat sequences, try cranking up the difficulty. At one notch above normal, not only is nearly every battle a real challenge, but enemies will move up and flank, and they're a serious enough threat to force you to move. Even early on, I found myself tactically repositioning my squaddies around corners and such to cover my retreats and advances, just so I wouldn't get slaughtered. It really makes the game a lot better, when you're not nigh invincible and you've actually gotta consider how you play, rather than hiding in one spot or just unloading and counting on superior firepower.  

News Comments > Nitrous Undefeated Announced
1. Re: Nitrous Undefeated Announced Feb 5, 2010, 02:11 Evil Timmy

Not to rain on their parade too much, but it'd certainly help if this small studio wasn't making grandiose claims backed by boilerplate ad copy that I've seen on the years-abandoned sites of dozens of mods. The only truly amazing feature I've seen in racing games since switchable cameras and MP is the Instant Replay feature in GRID/DIRT2. Even that's not entirely new, as Stunts had a version that allowed you to start from any point in a full-track replay. For that matter, while the physics and graphics have gotten better, I don't think Stunts has been surpassed, or even equaled, in terms of innovative design and creative gameplay.

So, good luck to you, Game Mechanic, I wish you the best, but I'm certainly not counting on you to blow my mind with your totally new features.

News Comments > Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now
36. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 14:42 Evil Timmy

Necrosis: Yeah, that was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. That pissed me off to no end because I had one of the "Starforce unsupported" drives, and actually had to wait that year for the crack before I could play it, and couldn't return it because it was an opened PC game. Got burned again when I bought one of the later games (Double Agent, I think) for X360 and found the gradient light meter had been replaced by a stoplight system, and you'd go from invisible to spotted with the tiniest twitch, and with no way of knowing. I don't think I got past the first level before I sold it in frustration.  

News Comments > Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now
9. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 22, 2010, 23:44 Evil Timmy

It seems like a lot of the reason for keeping DRM is that the publishers have to do something, and it looks better if they take the "safe" option, and less bad if it fails. It's like an interesting study I saw recently, that showed football teams who went for it on 4th down tended to win, and by a fair margin over the standard punt. So why wouldn't coaches follow hard numbers, which they undoubtedly had? Well, it's what is usually done, for one, but it also appears to be more of a failure on their part if they give the ball up and that turnover results in a touchdown. Where the finger gets pointed certainly has something to do with these decisions, no matter what the actual facts are.  

News Comments > Irrational Games Name Revived
29. Re: Irrational Games Name Revived Jan 9, 2010, 15:36 Evil Timmy

you would never see a Tribes game in this day and age supported and kept updated to that degree.

Unless Valve made and supported it, like TF2. (We can dream, right?)

News Comments > OnLive Presentation
48. Re: OnLive will not benefit PC gaming as we know it. Dec 31, 2009, 04:58 Evil Timmy

The virtualization option is actually a legitimate one, but how they make their money is just like your ISP does: buy enough capacity to cover what you'll think you need (15-25% x number of users x expected bandwidth usage), and have the option to expand if your clientele expands. The current generation of $100 graphics cards can run games cranked at 1920x1200 with AA at well over 30fps, so with smart memory management (a hurdle, but Perlman's got the experience and manpower to overcome it) you should be able to run two to three games on a single desktop-class rackmount server. Then keep in mind these are all leased, so they're only using what they need at a given time, and more usage = more people paying their fees. Business-wise, it seems fairly sound.

However, the technology will be their downfall. Gamers are a picky bunch, and this will annoy console gamers because of a lack of immediacy and the sacrifice of sofa MP, while PC gamers will chafe at the latency and lack of modding; casual users can play on every device out there, from work PCs to consoles to portables and phones, so they have no reason to care. In a place like Korea, broadband is everywhere and net cafes are too, so this'd be fine for that situation. But for the US, I don't see the infrastructure or market really being in place. Hell, sell it to China, they've got a burgeoning gaming market, new infrastructure all over the place, and a strong desire for government censorship.

News Comments > MechWarrior: Living Legends Released
4. Re: MechWarrior: Living Legends Released Dec 27, 2009, 15:56 Evil Timmy

Hrmm, I'll have to pick Crysis up on Steam if it goes on sale. My game list is now 70+ because of some of those deals.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2009, 16:00 Evil Timmy

Some excellent points there, Prez, and I agree with pretty much everything. Seeing as the majority of the industry can't figure out what to do with even the console market, getting clear data out of the fractured PC market is impossible, much less interpreting it to draw correct conclusions. MMOs bring in a ton of revenue, but often to the exclusion of other games. "Casual" games are now on every platform on Earth and take in revenue via subscriptions, direct purchase, advertising, microtransactions, through portals, with sponsorships, and probably a half dozen other ways, and cover the spectrum from games a three-year-old could play to something like Kongregate's meta-card-game and achievement system.

On top of that, I suspect most serious PC gamers are like myself, buying >90% of my games from Steam or Impulse because the DRM is less onerous (especially with a gaming laptop) and the advantages of the platform, not to mention the prices, more than make up for it. I bought Left 4 Dead 2 for $30 from Dell (and all the disc does is makes the initial install faster), and before that...I can't even remember the last game I bought boxed. Doom 3, maybe, 'cause I got the cacodemon statuette for pre-ordering? Hell, that may have been the catalyst for never buying games from a retail store right there.

If consoles are in trouble for any reason, it's that you can get a reasonable gaming PC and plug it into your HDTV, and have it play all your games, as well as being an HTPC and general purpose box, for around $600. Tuck it away and all you need is power, HDMI, networking, and a receiver for your wireless KB/M and you're set. I'm seeing this setup in more and more non-techie living rooms, and it'll only get more commonplace as things get faster, cheaper, and slicker.

Edit: The one thing that PC games are missing is better multi-input support (sofa mode), which is stupidly missing from even console ports, despite the PC having the extra memory to handle this with ease, and it's one clear and decisive advantage consoles retain. I've got a 360 controller with USB receiver for my PC, and so far I've found one game that'll happily play along with multiple 360 controllers: Lego Indiana Jones. The rest either won't do splitscreen at all (MP or nothing), or occasionally will but won't support more than one of the same controller.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 16:04.

News Comments > Steam Top 10ish
18. Re: Steam Top 10ish Nov 15, 2009, 21:04 Evil Timmy

One of my all-time favorite horrible, despicable, groan-inducing bad jokes...

What time does Sean Connery like to arrive when attending Wimbledon?

Ten-ishhhh

*runs away before shock turns into rage*

News Comments > Valve Working on "Stuff"
14. Re: Valve Working on Nov 12, 2009, 17:20 Evil Timmy

Aah, good old "stuff". It's my favorite subcategory of "things".

With the success of the Orange Box, I wouldn't be surprised to see Valve do a similar thing, especially because it was a successful jaunt onto consoles for them. I suspect they've been doing some serious work on Source 2, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see it as a DX11/360/PS3 engine, so they've got a stable multi-platform solution to build on and license out for the next couple of years. UE3 definitely benefited from that cross-platform support, far better tools, and has gotten extra attention recently with their free-with-strings engine release, which seems like a great way to indoctrinate/train future game developers.

News Comments > MechWarrior 4 at Midnight? (No) [Updated]
12. Re: MechWarrior 4 at Midnight? (No) Oct 28, 2009, 02:25 Evil Timmy

Yeah, same here, except I saw a kid who painted a sunflower. He did a really good job with the fingerpaints, and only sneezed on it once or twice. It was still a sunflower, though, so no reason I'd want to see an original Van Gogh painting of the same thing. It's all the same, right?

Forgive the overabundance of sarcasm, but the game's graphics are your window into the world. While they're not the most important thing, they are our most direct and immediate connection to the game. Why you'd even use a DX7 engine now, beyond cost-cutting, is confusing. Developers had their hands on DX7 over a decade ago, and things have improved vastly since then, in every way, for gamers, programmers, and hardware manufacturers. While I'm glad MW is getting some attention, this doesn't seem like it'll bring a new generation into the fold. At best, it'll be a nice romp through memory lane.

News Comments > Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Glitch
5. Re: Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Glitch Oct 23, 2009, 13:41 Evil Timmy

JoWood kind of reminds me of watching pro sports teams from Seattle. They're not so abysmally bad that you give up on them completely, as there's glimmers of something great there. But the vast majority of the time, you can count on them to screw up and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, crushing what little hope you'd managed to regain since last time. You really want to believe that they'll succeed this time, but deep down you know the same mistakes will be made, over and over.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 GotY Edition
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout 3 GotY Edition Oct 14, 2009, 02:29 Evil Timmy

Also, if you're a student, you can pick up an upgrade edition of Win7 Home Premium for $30, you just need a .edu email (order here). Pro's the same price if you click on a 'I need to logon to a domain' link in the order process. That's a $170 discount, as well as adding domain logins and the fully-virtualized XP Mode for older apps and games. I've been running the betas and RC since January and I'm very happy with it, it's fast, stable, and finally has a bunch of changes for the better. The WinKey+Arrows shortcut is so useful for managing multiple windows across multiple monitors that it's a jolt to work without it, and the multi-monitor switch (WinKey+P) is great as well.

I might finally get back to FO3 now that this is out, but since I'm in the middle of Risen (+school +work) I think I'll hold off and hope for a decent sale for Christmas. I haven't played any of the DLC, but that's because I gave it a good and evil playthrough when it came out, and wanted to wait to thoroughly explore the world again.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 02:32.

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo