Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jul 1, 2014, 13:32 Evil Timmy

Good, it's about time we had a "legitimately gay" character. So this means his armor choices consist of 30 varieties of short shorts, spells are cast with a limp wrist and emit rainbow sparkles, and his lisp-heavy dialogue is peppered with as many occurrences of "bitch" as a Jesse Pinkman-centered spinoff?

I kid Bioware, because they've actually been willing to step out of the white male protagonist stereotype. Rest of the games industry? At least they'd be acknowledging that "gay" is a possibility, the above would almost be a step forward. Give it ten years, and you might even begin to see believable relationships that don't treat sex (of any sort) as a "pick the right dialogue and get a watered down teenage fantasy cutscene" trophy to be acquired.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AMD Says No More DirectX?
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 12, 2013, 22:20 Evil Timmy

tl;dr 10 and 11 have more differences under the hood, but more powerful shaders are what you'd actually see

10 and 11 especially are mostly under-the-hood updates, moving to a new Windows driver model, 64-bit, and making many small tweaks to efficiency and ease of coding. The difference an end user would be able to see would really be apparent in how powerful shaders were, DirectX 9 had a fixed set of functions but 10 and 11 are fully programmable and can both be used more heavily and interact with more objects in the scene (ie not just paint the image but perform more actual functions in the game world). Bioshock Infinite on PC looks stunning if you enable the Alternate shader rather than the normal DX9-era bloom, and it's an effect that's DX11 only. Depth of field and a number of other mathematically-similar calculations benefited from DX11's improved rendering pipeline, they were possible before but not practical given the hardware of the day and lower efficiency in the code.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots
17. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 03:16 Evil Timmy

Valve has definitely been more interested in consoles since The Orange Box did well for them, and they'd be stupid not to target the PS4/X720 with any major update to Source. As a gamer, I'd also be happy to not see 75% of the triple-A titles be mottled grey-brown Unreal Engine 4 games, especially on the Xbox side of the fence, because that already happened with UE3. More like Smears of Bore, amirite?! But, seriously, the small drab levels with chest-height barriers that I get to COWER behind for a third of the game are not where I thought shooters would be, playing Deus Ex over a decade ago.

Since the prices I've seen floating around have all been in the $700+ plus range for the Steambox/Piston/whatever, it's not so much competition for the new generation of consoles as an easy way to get a living-room-friendly device that bridges the gap between powerful desktop and dead-simple console. They seem to be driving for that gap, targeting a younger generation that has seen consoles expand hugely in what they can do, and who wants even more than that, as their tastes and pocketbooks have grown. Seeing as LCD screens are pretty much everywhere now (I'm thinking of installing a third in the toilet bowl, the first two just don't let me absorb enough media in the 48 seconds I spend a day peeing), the idea of a small, portable gaming device that's also a powerful-enough PC, that I can plug in almost anywhere I go...that sounds pretty appealing. Now if only they could attach a screen to it and let me place it somewhere comfortable and convenient, like my lap...

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
12. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Nov 8, 2012, 19:29 Evil Timmy

Since it's been a while...

VTM:B gets another patch, nearing a decade after release. Still no cure for cancer.

News Comments > GRID 2 Gameplay Trailers
5. Re: GRID 2 Gameplay Trailers Sep 28, 2012, 02:16 Evil Timmy

Wait, so does this one have actual racing in it? Nice. Kinda missed that from all but one event in Dirt Showdown. Can we get drifting back too? I really, really enjoyed the original, so I'm hoping this is a return to form from Codemasters' hyper-arcadey bent. When Criterion starts making more serious and realistic racing games than you, it might be time to examine the direction you're headed in.  

News Comments > More on New Black Isle
19. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 15:16 Evil Timmy

that pile of crap Lionheart

Hey, the first, oh, third or so of Lionheart was awesome. Clever quests and setting, good variety in combat and enemies, just filled with good ideas. None of which made it into the super-grindy last half+ of the game, which was one dungeon crawl after the next. The devs obviously had something great in the works before crunch time hit and they had to churn out all the later levels. With another six months properly funded, they could have had a genuine hit, but clearly that's not what we ended up with. Yet another great game claimed by Interplay's (and by that, I completely and entirely mean the Caen brothers) spectacularly inept flailings as heads of a game publisher.

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year
27. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 18:54 Evil Timmy

The biggest trick I've found is using garlic effectively. Funnel all the zombies into fewer rows and your economy works much better, as you can narrow five lanes down to two, or six into three. Make the garlic 2-3 deep for easy management, and you can plant a bunch of sunflowers safely behind your garlic rows. Combine that with watermelons (even better with the freeze upgrade) and you're doing a lot of damage to multiple zombies with each shot.

The sequel will almost certainly be a Steam pre-order, as the brilliant minds at PopCap rarely disappoint, and PvZ has that awesome balance of casual accessibility and pretty hardcore depth and strategy.

News Comments > Grid 2 Announced
35. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 9, 2012, 15:31 Evil Timmy

So...drift? Loved the drift mode in the original GRID, probably the best representation of that game style on PC since NFS Underground. It really forced you to have good car control and time exactly how you swooped from turn to turn, and I managed to keep a drift chain for an entire lap on more than one course. I also wouldn't mind going back to replays in all race types, I'd rather have higher difficulty overall without punishing small mistakes too much, rather than ramp it down and find most races too easy.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
19. Re: etc., etc. Jul 28, 2012, 06:18 Evil Timmy

I'm still wondering where all the complaints about Windows 8 are coming from. At least the bitching about Vista was somewhat justified: because of fundamental changes under the hood and not enough lead time for third parties, driver and app support were sorely lacking on release. Windows 7 was a glorified service pack to Vista, but had enough interface tweaks and years of settled drivers to really run well. Windows 8 seems to be getting a lot of flak for the new Start screen, but I find myself using it for, oh, thirty seconds in a two hour period. Press Start, type name of app, press Enter. Maybe glance at the forecast or a headline.

Other than segregating the different searches (apps, settings, and files) and not making it easy to switch between or combine them, at least the new Start menu is in some way useful. With a fast search, since Vista onwards the rest of the Start menu has been purely vestigial; why hunt through a list or menu when you obviously know the name of the program you're trying to start? Going back to other people's computers with XP and having to do so just feels backwards. In addition, 8 feels and is faster, it's leaner due to the tablet influence and boots in roughly half the time on my PC vs 7 (non-SSD). The Task Manager has probably seen the best improvement, along with being able to "reset" Windows without a reformat, but all in all this feels like the most consumer-tested Microsoft product I've encountered due to the multitudinous little tweaks.

So, again, why all the hate? Getting rid of the useless Start menu is a change, yes, but not an unneeded one. Clicking through folders as a way of organizing data is a dated idea, and slow, and that kind of structure is fading from modern computing in a general and fundamental way. Realistically, people will bitch and moan, then get used to it, then complain again when their Metro Start screen gets taken away in favor of the next interface paradigm. Touch will dominate through the next decade, then we'll be complaining that yes, the new direct neural interfaces are great, but Apple is trying to lock us in with their proprietary iGel to reduce the itchiness around the LightJack site, and Microsoft's bundling of the (clearly still beta) Office Cortex Edition is causing bouts of unconsciousness if you try and save PDFs with the trial version. You know, business as usual.

News Comments > 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo
24. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 23, 2012, 18:22 Evil Timmy

Dev: That's a great idea, and all you'd have to do is take it one step further and apply that database to a program that does just what you said is nearly impossible. If you've got a DB with the config file's location and what can be tweaked, it's not a big leap to have a program that can apply at least some of those fixes for you. Toss in a video recorder, do runs at a couple target framerates and with different settings, have an integrated video player that allows easy A/B comparison, and let players choose which batch of settings they prefer without having to decide on High or Ultra across 20 different settings for a few FPS here and there.

With enough users (and, I dunno, giveaways for Most Used Hidden Setting of the Month et al) and enough hardware profiled (looking at you, Valve) finding the weak point in a particular user's setup shouldn't be too difficult. There'd have to be a balance struck, because while it could gather every bit of data about your system, at some point it's a privacy issue, and you've gotta deal with the massive amounts of information. This could, in theory, be a real boon to PC users, especially those who enjoy the depth and breadth of PC games but don't want or need certification-level knowledge about the inner workings of their setup. And the referrals garnered could easily pay for all the costs of setting such a system up.

News Comments > The Sims 3 Supernatural Expansion Announced
6. Re: The Sims 3 Supernatural Expansion Announced Jun 14, 2012, 03:52 Evil Timmy

Did anyone else have a twinge of hope that we might see Sim Sam and Dean slaughtering their way through hordes of unearthly baddies in a decidedly unusual new town? Still never got the appeal of these games, after a short while toying with the RPG aspects I realize it's a boring grind in an even more boring setting, with limited quest options and opaque systems.  

News Comments > New DayZ Mod for Arma II
36. Re: New DayZ Mod for Arma II May 28, 2012, 22:45 Evil Timmy

As with the Amazon DD version, you can install ArmaII then install Operation Arrowhead into your ArmaII directory. Voila, CO. Works just fine with DayZ and other mods.  

News Comments > Gaikai to Debut Hawken
8. Re: Gaikai is shit. May 16, 2012, 01:00 Evil Timmy

Given the videos we've seen so far, Hawken seems supremely unsuited to the latency involved in a service like Gaikai. I'm glad the devs have found further sources of support which should fund further polish, but the fast-action combat and precision required might leave a bad taste in the first wave of the public experiencing the game.

I've tried Gaikai on the fastest home connection I've had a chance to use, and even with a tested 60Mbit+ and extremely low latency, the delay and quality issues are apparent. Certain games might be acceptable, but anything relying on precision aim and quick reflexes seems like a remarkably poor idea, especially as a showcase for a new game.

News Comments > New Natural Selection 2 Beta; Trailer
8. Re: New Natural Selection 2 Beta; Trailer Feb 3, 2012, 15:46 Evil Timmy

OHNOES

Everybody donce!

News Comments > How to Get Banned From MW3
11. Re: How to Get Banned From MW3 Jan 7, 2012, 22:18 Evil Timmy

One phenomenon I've noticed is the direct correlation between people who only play on their 40" bargain flatscreen's speakers and people who frequently claim others are cheating. A friend who was in that situation, and who was actually a fairly good and experienced COD player, fell prey to that line of thinking. He could aim and react pretty well, but kept on bitching about cheaters when it came to close combat or guys on the other side of a wall. He got a nice set of Turtle Beach headphones for an early Christmas present, and the look on his face when he realized that, unless he had Ninja Pro (or whatever it's called in MW3) to silence his footsteps, he could easily be tracked by sound alone (by anyone with a proper surround or headphone setup)...well, it was definitely a shock. The allegations of cheating have dropped off sharply since that revelation, and I wonder how common that really is, as he's not the only one with that setup.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Clue?
8. Re: Half-Life 3 Clue? Jan 5, 2012, 17:21 Evil Timmy

Even if Valve had a particular release date in mind, what's the likelihood that they'd actually hit it, given their previous track record? They seem to be taking Trent Reznor's path, and over almost the same timeframe: less interested in the actual product, more interested in how the product is packaged, consumed, and sold. This isn't to say it's a bad thing, as we're going through massive upheaval in how every type of media and entertainment is distributed, and these experiments at the fringe are necessary. Digital music outsold physical last year, and boxed PC games are becoming dinosaurs. But I'd still love to hear a new NIN album that affects me as much as The Downward Spiral, and I'd love to play a Valve shooter with the solid, intelligent, seamlessly-integrated characters from, and gameplay innovations of, Half-Life 2.  

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Preview Driver
3. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 15:27 Evil Timmy

It should be noted these are solely to provide bugfixes and improved performance for an upcoming Rage update, so unless you're for some reason still playing it, you can leave these alone. On the other hand, if you are still using 11.x Cats, the initial 12.1 Preview release had a number of performance tweaks, and they're as rock-solid as one could hope for.  

News Comments > Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology
42. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:48 Evil Timmy

Excellent post, Yaogun, and I totally agree. As Ben Folds oh-so-sarcastically sang, "Y'all don't know what it's like, being male middle class and white." After growing up on the west coast and fitting into that category, I moved to Hong Kong with my family at age 15. With white people making up 0.6% of the population, I got to experience being a minority, and even in a place where foreigners are generally accepted and treated with a level of respect, I still ran into racism on a fairly regular basis. Even those small doses were hurtful, but more than anything frustrating. Given the strong American sense of individuality, anyone ascribing something to me as a group rather than as myself, based on a snap judgment of some demographic they thought I fit into, felt humiliating, unfair, incorrect, and just plain wrong.

And that's simply casual bigotry, nothing targeted, but simply a reflex from ignorance or carelessness. Any group that's targeted, not just for verbal abuse, but exclusion, legal separation, and violence, has my utmost sympathies and support. Acts like this are dehumanizing, they separate you from both your individuality and from the rest of the human race. We're free to say what we want, and especially think what we want. I support anyone's right to put forth whatever biased, bigoted trash they want, would defend it to the death etc., but the consequences are that they can and should treated like ignorant, shameful, backwards pariahs that have no place speaking when grown-ups are talking.

Of course, as with nearly every socio-political issue on the planet, South Park has mentioned it in one of their episodes (the first 30 seconds is Cartman fighting a midget, skip at your own discretion).

News Comments > Obsidian Interview
2. Re: Obsidian Interview Oct 22, 2011, 18:42 Evil Timmy

*Scruffy's voice* Second.  

News Comments > Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games
7. Re: Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games Sep 21, 2011, 12:22 Evil Timmy

Let's dig out Jill of the Jungle and OMF:2097 for their next games. Surely they have a huge cachet with modern audiences, since they came out in...1992 and 1994, respectively. Seeing as those born in 1994 can now fully legitimately buy M-rated games. *sigh*

The world of their Samaritan demo seems pretty sweet, though, wonder if that's some of their new IP, or at least a version of it. I like the Blade-Runner-meets-Prototype vibe, and if next-gen console visuals are up to that standard, it'll be one last grand hurrah for separate gaming devices. After this upcoming generation, it's a solid bet our phones will be more than powerful enough to handle everything, whether on their own screen or hooked up to a flatscreen.

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo