Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CreamyBlood

Real Name CreamyBlood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CreamyBlood
Email killjoy999@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description Old, beer drinking gamer. I think my first game was the ASCII version of Star Trek on an IBM mainframe at my Dad's work. Second was probably Pong that he built out of parts from an 'Electronics Today' magazine on a black and white TV....
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 18, 2003, 04:15
Total Comments 1211 (Pro)
User ID 19418

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Huh? Dec 5, 2007, 20:10 CreamyBlood

pier to peir connections

Dingies, boats and ships, depending on your bandwidth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tomb Raider: Underworld Trademarked
4. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2007, 03:09 CreamyBlood

I'm playing that free version of Tomb Raider: Legends from Gametap right now, but I'm kind of bored. It looks good and although I'm not used to 3rd person controls it handles okay. Just wondering what some opinions might be on whether it's worth slogging through it or not. I'm enjoying the exploration part for now but puzzle jumping hasn't really been my thing since the Mario days.

News Comments > BioShock Content Coming
21. Re: So um... Dec 1, 2007, 02:56 CreamyBlood

Jerryk said 'online activation'.

And I dislike it. For example, I recently was without an internet connection for around a month. I went a bought some single player games, among them was Sam and Max. If I knew that some versions needed an internet connection to play (I mean, come on, it's a single player point and click adventure) I wouldn't have bought it.

Fortunately, my version didn't need online activation, just the DVD in the DVD player.

I wanted to buy the Orange box to play H2 Ep2 but knew that I'd need an internet connection. So I'll get it some other time.

I wanted to play Bioshock and didn't know that it needed online activation, I didn't get it because the demo keeps randomly crashing on me, so I was lucky there. I would have been pissed if I'd bought it for the single player experience while waiting for my internet to get hooked up only to find that I couldn't install it.

I really don't know why some of these companies insist on driving their customers away. It's seriously easier to just pirate the damn things and if you have a conscience, go buy the box and put it on your shelf instead of dealing with the hassle.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2007, 01:27 CreamyBlood

He was one of my all American heroes when I was a kid, and I'm Canadian. He was awesome, although we didn't use that term back then. I think 'cool' would have been the way to describe him.

I remember jumping eleven kids laying side by side on my 'airshock' bicycle an a makeshift ramp (3 feet high seemed big at the time), completely inspired by Evel. That guy made millions of kids happy back in the day.

News Comments > GameSpot Editor Fired Over Review?
110. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2007, 01:10 CreamyBlood

i wish my cat had pyjamas, instead it just walks around naked looking at thing it may be able to eat.

Although I like the rather old and outdated expression (more than 'The Cats Ass'), I'd never actually do this to my cat....

The Cats Pyjamas
http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh/images/05/catpjs.htm

News Comments > Hellgate: London Patch Plans
4. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2007, 22:25 CreamyBlood

Sometimes you have to wonder if they have bored PR people for some of these companies trying to justify their existence. If I read that right, they're announcing that a new patch is in the works and that the current one is in testing.

Why not also say that patch 0.8 has been considered in the conference room and that it'll come out after it's been developed and tested? After they get the two current ones out the door?

Whatever

News Comments > GameSpot Editor Fired Over Review?
107. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2007, 22:14 CreamyBlood

Reviews can be usefull for finding out features and gameplay when you don't know much about the game but I think it just comes down to personal preference.

I, like probably many here stopped going to big sites like Gamespy, Gamespot, IGN, etc years ago when they got so huge and commercial. When I scan a list of reviews from Gamerankings I generally ignore most of the sites and just focus on the few that seem to me to be most impartial. (Action Trip, Eurogamers maybe).

Then I come to Bluesnews and do a search on the 'Gold, Demo, and Patches' for the game.

In the end, none of it really helps. A lot of people here thought that Diablo and Oblivion were good and I thought they sucked. I like Quake 4, not great, but I enjoyed it and others thought it sucked as well. Same with Quake Wars, I think it's the cats pyjamas but most probably woudn't agree with me here.

It's really impossible to know unless you play it yourself I guess. Some things are generally agreed upon, like Bioshock, Fallout, Baldurs Gate 2, Deus X, Systemshock, etc. But in the end it's really all up in the air. Someone's trash is another mans treasure.

Unfortunatley, reviews do influence me, but I read quite a few of them before purchasing anything, and I try to get the vibe from sites like this but in the end, you just never know until you play it yourself.

------------

Once in a blue moon I load up IE and go click every ad on this site. Not as often as I should but the thought is there.

News Comments > On Crysis 2
40. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 12:14 CreamyBlood

See ya! Wouldn't want to be ya! Am I in the intellectuall spotlight now?

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Confirmed
43. Re: DX1 Nov 26, 2007, 18:31 CreamyBlood

Yeah, but it's not going to happen. Not soon anyways. Compare Gothic 2 and 3. Look at Oblivion. Where is Freespace 3? Nexus, the Jupiter Incident was awesome, but where did it get them?

I think the market needs to saturate for a few more years with morons, then the niches will look like new viable money sources to investors.

Once Critial Mass (TM) has been achieved in the console market, then we can look forward to innovation with games in general.

Unfortunately, with the state of education in most first world countries and the mass marketing of shlock to punters, it will take a lot longer than I hoped.

41. Re: The real question Nov 26, 2007, 18:07 CreamyBlood

Okay, it's hard to predict what will happen.

I hope gaming doesn't turn out the same way, or hope that at least there is some kind of market for games of this type in the future.

Well, gaming has already turned out that way, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. For one, gaming has become mainstream and there is a major industry surrounding it including everything from voice actors. writers and directors to programmers, artists, modelers and of course, CEO's, investors and MBA types.

That's a good thing.

Sure there's a million crap games being pumped out, a bunch of people trying to cash in on crap, licenses and all that. Console kiddies (I think that's an archaic term now), people that think deathmatch is new and that auto aim or pointless dialog is great abound.

But although many people are stupid, a great subset are not, and need more. I think the problem with consoles, not like nin, or the other defectors here but people that don't understand the last three decades of computer games will eventually crave more depth. Not because they're stupid, but because they don't know better. They've never seen a video game with intelligence before and don't know that it exists. But once they do, they won't go back.

Or maybe they will. Sometimes I like a stupid game. I thought Quake 4 single player was a lot of fun. I loved it.

It will happen, but human nature being what it is, it will take time. The mass market shallow games will always exist, as do the slasher movies and vapid, crap electronic dj beats in music.

But the Rob Zombies will always get some of the market, as will the Quentin Terantinos and the (insert favorite creative person here) people.

I think it's just a matter of parity. Once we get so close to photo realism in graphics for all games, the bling won't matter anymore and to get any entertainment we'll have to rely more on our brains for pleasure than our eyes. Not that that will ever go away, nor do I want it to, but eventually for the people that want it, there will be some really cool games.

I think that we're just in a transition right now between mass market, desire, and money. That's all. I wish it had gone a different direction, but humans are what they are. We'll eventually get around to the intelligent stuff.

33. Re: The real question Nov 26, 2007, 16:53 CreamyBlood

I'm actually playing it through again after many years and after reading this announcement I was very elated.

But as many others here probably think, and for good reason, I too cynically suggest that it's going to suck major ass.

Now that consoles and the masses have caught up in the CPU and GPU areas, it will take a long time for them to realize that there are actually cerebral games out there worth playing.

Not that I think console players are stupid, I just think it will take a few more years before the masses realize that there's more to games than shallow, glitzy drivel.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Off the subject, but Nov 26, 2007, 16:16 CreamyBlood

If I were having specific problems with an intel motherboard, I'd go straight to the intel support site:

http://www.intel.com/support/index.htm?iid=homepage+hdr_nav1_support

But if you're unsure about what you're doing or need more help I'd suggest looking at the excellent list of free online support reccommendations that gizmo has here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_free_tech_support_sites.htm

I haven't used any of these particular sites, but I've generally agreed with most of his recommendations for the past several years. It's a good starting point.

Good luck.

9. Re: FIOS Nov 26, 2007, 16:05 CreamyBlood

You might want to try port forwarding for each game you play but most likely it just has a built in Firewall and has 'flood detection' or something similar. Hopefully there's an option to turn that off and ignore it, then you'll be fine.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 15:38 CreamyBlood

OS/X is pretty slick. I installed the hackintosh version on my AMD a few months back. Even started learning Coco and ported over a game browser backend and started developing a front end for it.

But even my zealot Mac buddies wouldn't install Enemy Territory or my app to test it, and they used to be BF2 windows gamers. So I eventually lost interest in it. But it is a nice operating system without a doubt.

The hardware is getting closer to parity with the PC in price, but they are still somewhat 'consolish' in their configurations and of course, overpriced.

I think it's definitely a viable OS for many people. I think I'd buy the Leopard if they allowed you to install it on any PC though I doubt that will happen for a long time because of all the support issues and drivers, etc. They wouldn't be able to say 'It just works' if they did that.

And yes, those commercials are really patronizing/concescending/insulting, whatever. One word I could use for some of my friends and acquaintances that think they are superior because they bought into the Apple marketing of self-superiority is: smug.

It's an operating system, and a nice one. It doesn't make you special.

1. Turret Barrel Misfires Nov 24, 2007, 19:19 CreamyBlood

Reminds me of when I tried BF2 way back when....

Sort of, broken... ?

<ducks>

News Comments > ETQW Server Downtime
6. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2007, 06:43 CreamyBlood

He may be refering to gamespys' server stats here:

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

That does list it as the fifth most popular online game.

But I *think* that server spy lists the games based on players that aren't bots here:

http://www.serverspy.net/site/stats/

That puts it in eleventh place which seems a little bit more realistic to me based on filtering servers and playing myself.

And that isn't a bad thing. It's a complex game and takes a bit of work just to make heads or tails of whats going on. As a long time Wolf and ETPro player, Quake Wars makes those games look like tetris by comparison, there's a lot to absorb.

I expect that it'll take me several months before I really get the hang of it all on probably several years to get really good.

The beauty of games like this (I'm hoping) is that it takes a few more brains to play and enjoy hard core, and because of that when everything shakes out you end up playing with more intelligent people and there's less riff raff.

Sometimes you want a run and gun game and sometimes you want more. I don't expect this will ever hit mass acceptance like the BF's or Quakes or Counterstrikes because it's too complicated. And that's fine. I expect, or hope it'll be a popular game for a long time but stuck within its own niche.

Sort of like WET has done for the last several years. It's been in the top five or so forever. Of course, it's free and runs on any computer but there is a market for this type of gameplay even if it doesn't, won't and never will be at the top of any list.

It's not a 'better' game, just a different one. I like it.

News Comments > Big Daddy Replacements
23. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 17:31 CreamyBlood

I only played the demo, but it randomly crashed to desktop after about ten minutes of playing. I believe I've been able to resolve any game issues if it was on my side and didn't require a patch but nothing worked for me.

Maybe I'll give it another go now that a few driver update cycles have passed because I really want to try this game.

News Comments > Dungeon Lords Add-on & Sequel Announced
4. Re: hmmm Nov 20, 2007, 23:26 CreamyBlood

My ex-boss gave me his CE of this several months ago but I have yet to install it. I read too many reviews and opinions agreeing how crappy it was (although my boss liked it).

I just uninstalled Oblivion after playing it for around thirty hours or so and if that can't hold my attention it just seems like this one doesn't have a chance.

I too was surprised seeing it still on store shelves just a few weeks ago and then reading this news blurb about an expansion and a sequel despite not ever hearing anything good about it.

Maybe I'll try it out some day when I'm really bored.

News Comments > Rail Simulator Demo
3. Re: I used to like Rails Nov 19, 2007, 00:46 CreamyBlood

Dude, I didn't have internet for over a month so I couldn't even buy HL Episode 2 or 3 or whatever it's at now.

But season one of Sam and Max for 30 bucks was well worth it. I still haven't quite finished it, so I can wait for the new ones.

News Comments > Rail Simulator Demo
1. I used to like Rails Nov 18, 2007, 21:03 CreamyBlood

It reminds me of what I've done for the last month and a half without an internet connection, catch up on mindless games I'd never normally get to.

I have to admit, I didn't play any Railroad games, but I did finish Quake 4 (loved it), deleted Oblivion to make way for Anno 1701, Nexus The Jupiter Incident and The original COD. And I installed ET Quakewars and walked myself through the maps playing the computer. I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me but I won't be a complete moron.

Plus I bought Sam and Max season One for thirty bucks (CDN).

Lonely, but good times...

A good railway or tycoon game would have topped it off but I didn't seem to have any.

1211 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo