Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CreamyBlood

Real Name CreamyBlood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CreamyBlood
Email killjoy999@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description Old, beer drinking gamer. I think my first game was the ASCII version of Star Trek on an IBM mainframe at my Dad's work. Second was probably Pong that he built out of parts from an 'Electronics Today' magazine on a black and white TV....
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 18, 2003, 04:15
Total Comments 1211 (Pro)
User ID 19418

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher Demo
27. Re: Crappy camera Dec 15, 2007, 06:04 CreamyBlood

Seriously guys, it's one of the best CRPGs I've ever played. This is a game with some real depth to it. It's worth picking up.

Crap. And a week ago I just installed Gothic 3, shortly after that they came out with a 'community patch', and last night they killed the DVD check. And I spent the last week, not really playing, but tweaking the piece of shit to actually work acceptably. Now I'm loving it.

THEN, they come out with a Witcher demo. Fuck. Who ever said 'PC gaming is dead' is an idiot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: re: dumping people via text Dec 15, 2007, 05:47 CreamyBlood

I actually just call people when I want to talk to them. I disabled all incoming text messages. I did that online using a full blown keyboard and mouse.

News Comments > id Software Community Game Day
1. No subject Dec 15, 2007, 05:36 CreamyBlood

I really like ET, but I don't think I'm going to take the day off to go hammer a server that I'll never get into. I've heard some people here talk about hammering websites with specials to buy stuff and are setup for thousands of consumers. But a 24 person game server? Good luck.

News Comments > etc., etc.
18. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2007, 05:15 CreamyBlood

Plus we've been hearing the death knell, toll, bell for PC's for a long time. Most of these games are developed on PC's to begin with.

The main gripes about consoles and their ports are that the graphics suck, the interface sucks and that they're dumbed down.

Which is stull true for the moment.

But soon enough, the graphics on both consoles and PC's are going to be on par, hyper realistic and just wonderful. So that won't matter.

Because of HD tv's (ie, console displays) the visual part of the interface isn't going to matter too much either. So we'll have fonts that don't take up the whole screen, managable inventories, etc.

The other part of the interface (ie, how we input) is a matter of contention for me. I'm an old, crusty dog and need my right mouse button to move forward. I just have never been able to get used to a gamepad thingie. Ever. In fact if I go to a friends house I have to reconfigure their PC game controls to jive with mine (Hybrid Doom/ESDF).

Of course, how hard is it to put a couple of USB ports into a console? Probably not very, and probably cheap as hell. How hard is it for a console developer to design and code for both types of controls? Not very I suspect, it's just a matter of will. And I don't think it's going to happen until consolses turn into internet appliances. So that part's iffy. And important to me.

Now to 'dumbed down'. I think, from the ports I've seen that consoles are pretty dumbed down, in some cases for hardware constraints, others control design and most just to get bang for the buck and make these games, simple and accesable.

Does that piss off people that have been cerebral video games for the last decade or three? Yes, to some point. It's like we're going backwards in game design, getting less content, entertainment and enjoyment for our buck.

But, I also like the fact that video games are mass entertainment. I think in the long run it will give us more options. Right now some say we're in a dearth of good games, but many have been listed here. I'll add Space Rangers, Jupiter the Nexus Incident, Gothic 3 (dare I mention it). There's others. Even Quake Wars is pretty hard core.

I don't think consolers are dumb, or stupid, I think for the most part they don't know any better. Once their market gets saturated, more niche developers will show them the games (in a new light) that we've had for years. And when they make money, perhaps not the mega-millions, but good cash, others will follow suit.

I don't know when this will happen, I might be fifty or sixty years old by then, but I think we're already seeing the console market starting to mature and come out with more and more complex and intelligent games. Just my penny.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 05:16.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Underworld Confirmed
6. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2007, 04:48 CreamyBlood

I just deleted Legends the free version (for December) from Gametap to make room for Gothic 3 (yes, going to give that another whirl now that it's had a few patches).

The graphics were nice and I kind of liked the 3d platforming. I think it was when I had loaded a game and saw some bad guy shooting at me as I was off to grab a beer or something that when I came back he was still shooting at me.

I think a rolled a smoke, moved the mouse a centimeter, clicked the button a couple of times and killed him. Seven gigabytes of hard drive space and these guys can't kill a thing. Sorry, nuke.

News Comments > New Blizzard MMOG Confirmed
63. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2007, 04:39 CreamyBlood

Isn't Diablo already a single-player MMO? I mean, click, click, click, loot, loot, loot, grind, grind, grind.

I agree with the yawn.

News Comments > Ballerium Launches
9. Re: No subject Dec 14, 2007, 23:56 CreamyBlood

Each player in the game controls an Avatar - a spirit of a great hero, and a group of followers (called "units") of that Avatar.

Plus you get a bunch of dicks following you around.

News Comments > Canadian Forces: Direct Action SWAT 4 Mod
7. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 23:53 CreamyBlood

Wasn't RainBow Las Vegas made for the Next Generation? Go play that. I'm sure it's fun.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Gameplay Stats
88. Re: ... Dec 12, 2007, 23:51 CreamyBlood

Which means, in the long run, is the 80MB or 142MB download worth it? I assume like you implied, that I'd be a rookie going into slaughter territory. With the occasional server with people on it, if I could find it.

I wouldn't mind finding out what you've been going on about all of this time, but I suspect that I might not like what I see. The Wiki sounds good though.

Full
http://www.clan-tn.com/tn/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item134
Complete
http://www.clan-tn.com/tn/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item65

Edit: Added links to downloads

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 23:57.

News Comments > GameTap Taps Macs
10. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 23:31 CreamyBlood

And if you are booting into Windows for games then you don't really need a Mac client anyway

My thoughts exactly.

I spent a good bit of time getting a Hackintosh to run. I got the games running (ET, Prey, D3, etc) and decided to code a basic game browser.

I loved Xcode and invested a fair amount of time into it, ported over some unix code, started making functional interface for an 'actual' game browser, and recieved zero feedback.

Depressing.

I don't know what it is, if Mac users really are elitist (which is what I was thinking), or they just don't care (which is what I suspect). They're just people that want their computers to work and don't care about games.

The few Mac users that are PC gamers that I know of just didn't give a shit.

Anyways, I abandoned that project as I thought Mac gamers truly weren't worth the effort.

No offense, but after half a year (OSX) of working on this stuff I couldn't get one person to even test it. (Enemy Territory, Q3, basic stuff)

I used to think that:

Mac Users are vain, rich, stupid, desperate and willing pay anything for a game or new software.

I now think:

Mac Users are vain, rich, stupid and just want to surf the internet.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 23:32.

35. Re: Dec 12, 2007, 23:11 CreamyBlood

I know Jerykk knew what they meant, but it's a stupid term anyways.

I was around long before the C-64 and don't remember the term being used, not that I'm saying it wasn't, I just don't recall hearing it before the Xbox was nearing it's death.

It made sense once you knew what it meant when the 360, PS3 and the other consoles were coming out. Now it doesn't make sense. Maybe saying NG2, would mean the XBox 3, PS4 and Wii2? How about Offspring 3? Call the Intellivision and Atari 2600 Ancestor PreNG1-4, Post Neo Pong?

Whatever, consoles are hardwired into their particular generation. We can't keep calling the next best console, Next Generation.

Just like we can't apply it to PC's. Computer games are always in flux and constantly evolve. It's difficult to pinpoint it at any particular point in a 'generation'. Sure you can categorize CPU's and Video cards (like 6600, 7900GS, 8800, P4 1.7, AMD FX, E6600), but how do you categorize graphics?

Quake 3, Farcry, Fear, Oblivion, Bioshock. They don't belong to a generation. Leave the Next Generation to Star Trek and consoles.

But from a marketing term, to me it's only ever meant what the current crop of consoles are. In human terms, life is slow enough that we can understand what generation we're talking about. We know who our parents are, what a grand daughter is. We even label them, baby boomers, generation-x/y, etc. It's easily understandable.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Gameplay Stats
86. Re: ... Dec 12, 2007, 22:47 CreamyBlood

For some reason, I don't know how, I missed the whole 'Tribes' thing. Looking on Wikipedia and reading everything here for the last couple of years, I'm suspecting that downloading the Full Pack isn't going to be that much fun? Ie. It looks like it's pre-quake3 graphics and probably no servers?

News Comments > Fury Postmortem
3. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 21:56 CreamyBlood

Most software developers would be happy to have 'too many' beta testers. That's where you get a bunch of regular users that aren't in your mindset to bang on your product and identify usability issues, broken code, functionality, etc.

It gives you an opportunity to recognize and fix problems before release.

Sure, people are going to bad mouth you, or have their own 'vision' of what your product should be, but they'll do that anyways for the demo and the initial release version as well.

Perhaps these 'special' game developers should simply forego all beta and QA testing and simply release their code as they see fit and wait for the accolades to pour in. Because, obviously, the testers are ruining their work.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Q&A
4. Re: Oh Lord.. Dec 12, 2007, 21:41 CreamyBlood

Bridge Commander was really good. Forgot about that one. I also actually liked one of the Elite forces (an FPS), think it was 2 that I played but I can't remember.

22. Re: Dec 12, 2007, 21:27 CreamyBlood

I don't really care what the next biggest and greatest grindfest is.

But having millions of mainstream, addicted gamers upgrading their mediocre hardware can only be a good thing for the rest of us as it will give a massive injection to developing new hardware technologies and give us an even better break on price versus performance. Go Blizzard.

News Comments > ATI Gets Steamier
49. Re: steam bundled Dec 12, 2007, 08:25 CreamyBlood

steam should have been optional like the earthsim screensaver.

I agree. I'm used to always picking the 'advanced' or 'custom' option, but they seem to have tried to railroad it in.

The interesting thing about this driver bundle is that the actuall driver and the CCC were exactly the same versions that came preinstalled drom January 2007. So I didn't need it. The CCC 'manager' was a new version, probably to manage the install of the Steam and Free game offers.

So for me, the whole 38MB download on Rogers Portable Internet at 30KB/s was a waste of half an hour of my life. You'd think that with ATI's notorious reputation for bad driver support that they'd quit trying to pull stuff like this.

It's not a big deal, it's just that the whole idea of updating my drivers to 7.11 November was pointless, because nothing of use was actually updated.

43. Re: steam bundled Dec 11, 2007, 23:33 CreamyBlood

No kidding. Uncheck 'Steam' during install.

dont post a reply unless you have tried the latest installer. there is not 'uncheck steam' during install. moron.

I had just installed the drivers on a friends laptop about ten minutes before typing that. But going pretty much by memory....

Windows Vista->32-Bit Edition->Integrated/Motherboard->Radeon Xpress 200M

Catalyst Software Suite (32 bit) English Only

7.11 Nov. 21, 2007 37.8MB

You can uncheck 'Earthsim' whatever that is on the first screen.

After a couple of more screens you can select 'custom'.

Then you can 'uncheck' Steam and two other completely unrelated driver components.

Maybe I'm a moron, but the drivers got installed and steam and the rest of the crap didn't.

30. Re: steam bundled Dec 11, 2007, 17:55 CreamyBlood

No kidding. Uncheck 'Steam' during install.

Anyways a tech demo isn't enticing enough, nor HL2DM (does anyone play that?)

I'm waiting for the TF2 demo, or free weekend or whatever.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Dr. Phil Dec 9, 2007, 19:33 CreamyBlood

She sounds comfortable with her addiction.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
27. Re: No subject Dec 5, 2007, 20:44 CreamyBlood

Nobodies heard of xFire? Thought that was old. I mean, I THOUGHT THAT was OLD.

1211 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo