Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CreamyBlood

Real Name CreamyBlood   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CreamyBlood
Email killjoy999@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description Old, beer drinking gamer. I think my first game was the ASCII version of Star Trek on an IBM mainframe at my Dad's work. Second was probably Pong that he built out of parts from an 'Electronics Today' magazine on a black and white TV....
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 18, 2003, 04:15
Total Comments 1211 (Pro)
User ID 19418

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA ForceWare Beta for UT3
17. Re: Omega! Jan 2, 2008, 09:14 CreamyBlood

I've ran the Omega drivers in the past for ATI but never did any benchmarks.

What I can say as that I just built an older system for a friend and I wanted the drivers+functionality of the Catalyst Control Centre without the combined resource piggishness of .NET and said CCC. It's almost a 90MB hit.

The Omegas give you lots of options without the hassle.

Plus they don't make you 'uncheck' EarthSim, then select 'Custom' and uncheck all of the free 'game offers'.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 07:32 CreamyBlood

Enahs, very cool that you finally got your hands on Syberia 2... Best adventure games I'd played in a long time, both 1 and 2.

I'm just starting Post Mortem by Microids, the same guys that did Syberia but is older. They also made Still Life which I liked for the most part but it only felt like half a game. Apparently they're working on Still Life 2, so wait for the double-pack on that one.

13. Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 07:30 CreamyBlood

qEnahs, very cool that you finally got your hands on Syberia 2... I played that one when I was working nights in my NOC job a couple of years ago. Best adventure games I'd played in a long time, both 1 and 2.
I'm just starting Post Mortem by Microids, same guys that did Syberia but is older. They also made Still Life which I liked for the most part but it only felt like half a game. Apparently they're working on Still Life 2, so wait for the double-pack on that one.

News Comments > New Year's Tech Bits
12. Feds share coupons Jan 2, 2008, 04:34 CreamyBlood

To request a coupon, consumers can apply online at http://www.dtv2009.gov starting Tuesday. The government also has set up a 24-hour hotline to take requests, 1-888-DTV-2009 (1-888-388-2009).

Congress, in ordering the transition to digital broadcasting, set aside $1.5 billion for the coupon program, which will fund 33.5 million coupons and other costs.

Only in America.

News Comments > New Year's Preview
3. Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 04:17 CreamyBlood

As someone that couldn't get into the Diablos or any of its clones, for some strange reason I sort of liked Dungeon Siege 2. Maybe this will have some of the same kind of mindless fun.

7. Pyramid Copyrights Dec 30, 2007, 01:10 CreamyBlood

..allow countries to protect copyright on their cultural monuments and folk icons.

I think Canada should copyright the beaver. That's right. No more beaver for the rest of the world unless you pay us.

36. Re: No subject Dec 29, 2007, 23:55 CreamyBlood

I agree completely.

It's really depressing how some dumb nintendo controller from over a decade ago has so negatively impacted PC gaming in the 21st century. Who knew?

19. Re: Keyboard+mouse Vs Gamepad Dec 29, 2007, 00:02 CreamyBlood

I think this issue has been discussed once or possibly twice before on this site.

Did you actually see him competing against someone else playing the same game on a PC with a mouse+keyboard?

I'm not denying that a 13 year old on a gamepad couldn't kick the living shit out of lets say, a six year old roll of wet toilet paper that hasn't quite returned to organic form and is still rotting on top of an old clackity IBM keyboard with a 2-button ball mouse dangling beside it.

But I doubt it.

Didn't Shadowrun try an experiment like this? I don't know what happened as I never played either version and didn't pay too much attention.

I thought that console FPS's were designed to make their users think they were actually playing a game for a couple of hours as opposed to just watching it.

40. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 23:28 CreamyBlood

Yes, that's what I believe too. It just seems that most sci-fi is dumbed down when it comes to movies. In many cases to action, or at the lower level becoming a horror/monster movie in space.

How often do you read a s/f short story or novel written in the last hundred years that has something like, 'space ship floating in space gets invaded by alien-monster and decimates the crew one-by-one'?

Almost never. But how many times do we see the Halloween series, or Friday the 13th Series, Jaws or any Vampire movie slapped into a spaceship or futuristic setting and they call it a sci-fi movie? All the time.

Aliens is a prime contender, although I still love the first two.

Think of Asimov's Foundation series. It's all talking, mostly in people's heads. How are you going to translate a billion words of concepts and ideas with pretty much no action into a movie that people will pay money to go watch? I have no idea, maybe someone will do it someday. We saw what happened to 'I Robot'.

My point is that I expect most modern Hollywood 'sci-fi' movies to really be slasher/horror/monster movies in disguise. They really don't have much to do with sci-fi except for the settings, usually.

But, if you go hunt down a list, you can instantly see that there have been some really good ones that aren't just action and nonsense. And sometimes the monster movies end up being good entertainment anyways.

I'm sure we all have many good books in mind that we'd love to see made into a movie and it boggles my mind why they don't take some of the brilliant existing stuff already written in the last century and make a real movie instead of all this trash.

On the flipside of the coin, it's not all bad. We've gotten some pretty good sci-fi flicks over the years.

As a mental test, go through this 'top rated sci-fi movie' list and mentally count in your head how many are monster/horror as the primary theme:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_film.html

Not a lot really, and it's a pretty good list. That's why I was suprised, both that I'd actually watched so many movies and that most of them were good.

That was a top-rated list, I was hoping I could compare it to top-money-grossing for balance, but this is as close as I could find:

http://www.concatenation.org/videoindex.html

This includes Fantasy as well and is based on DVD/Video rentals. But as you scan it, it's quite a different picture. And it's still not showing a massive amount of horror/monster sci-fi.

So I've done a miserable job of trying to back up my theory but I'm getting tired. Maybe next week I'll find a list of 'B' movie sci-fi's. Something that includes Joan Collins and maybe perhaps some killer tomatoes.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Del Toro Dec 28, 2007, 22:37 CreamyBlood

I hope it scares the poo out of you and wins an Oscar.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Best AI Dec 28, 2007, 22:36 CreamyBlood

I guess it HAS to be a useless popularity test.

I've played two games on the entire list, so there's no point in voting because I can't compare them to any of the others.

Isn't Halo 3 and COD4 console games, and Stalker and Bioshock PC games? Wouldn't you have to own the console versions and PC versions and played them all to make an informed decision.

I didn't vote because I had no frame of reference but how many people were in the same boat and just voted for what they played and liked most?

Anyways, I found the whole thing quite useless from any viewpoint.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Movie
4. Re: RPG Dec 28, 2007, 22:29 CreamyBlood

I heard that YouTube is going to upgrade their display resolution sometime this century. Might make it worth watching it for most things.

18. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 22:26 CreamyBlood

I still play q3ctf4 once in awhile. I can't quite kill'em like I used to, but I still enjoy it. I'm no clanner but I think everyone gets accused of cheating or being a bot once in awhile, and I'm supposedly an old fart.

38. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 17:24 CreamyBlood

I've been a sci-fi fan all of my life, like I'm sure many here are. I still read novels and short stories from the forties to the present. Of course the written word is a different medium so has to be judged differently.

I was going to say something like, 'Most sci-fi movies seem like nothing more than horror/monster movies set in space'. Which certainly seems true to me for some reason. But then I went and googled some top ten/hundred sci-fi movie lists and found that I'd seen most of them and agreed they were good. And most weren't of the monster/horror mold.

Maybe there's just way more 'B' movies that come out fitting that category. Pitch Dark is really just a monster/horror movie that I liked as are Species and Event Horizon which I didn't like.

Anyways, I expected that the new Aliens movie would be in the horror category I was just hoping it'd get better, not worse. I suspect I'll see it sometime on cable at a friends house...

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Teaser Video
174. Re: I can't wait Dec 24, 2007, 13:25 CreamyBlood

I think even a mediocre game released as dnf would have killed the franchise.

It isn't a 'franchise'. It's a distant memory.

News Comments > Amphibian Man Announced
6. Re: Holy crap Dec 23, 2007, 16:34 CreamyBlood

Bioshock is good, but I'm still sticking with Frogger...

News Comments > Crysis Patch Delay
39. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 10:13 CreamyBlood

Actually, forget about it.

I haven't been able to login for over two days. What a waste of money.

Perhaps your experience will be better, but not for me.

I bought it, I get kicked out. Only fourty bucks, but sort of a waste. Put your money somewhere else.

38. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 08:01 CreamyBlood

Quit waffaling.

Well, give it another try.

Ignore the vehicles as that's not what ET is all about.

ALL id software products are hitscan. Except for the rocket launcher, every game they've ever made is hitscan, so I don't really know what you're talking about.

Personally, I'm almost fourty years old and I enjoy killing people with my mouse. It works for me in BF42, usually. But that isn't hitscan, it's projectile/random/cone based, just like BF2.

In BF2 you'll find that you can shoot someone in the head with an entire clip and watch him turn around and drop you with one shot. That's old news.

Or, your finally 'upgrade' to a medic with a good gun and suddenly you're wasting people left, right and centre. Just silly if you ask me.

Quake is point, aim, shoot, dead. Simple.

I'm quite happy that you've replied to me, but instead of coming up with some 'excuse' as to why you haven't played it, go download it, play it and get back to me in a few days. Then tell me what you think of it.

http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/130

While doing that watch the training videos:

GDF Valley Training
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/12591.html

Strogg Valley Training
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/12592.html

Read the Valley Map Guide:
http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/91

36. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 07:26 CreamyBlood

Well, the hitscan is just as good or better than any Quake.

So get in there. When I point my mouse at someones head and hit the 'trigger', it hit's them and usually kills them. Likewise to me. I don't feel burned. There isn't any 'rolling of the dice' or 'hit cone' like other games.

It isn't a hybrid between the Battlefields and anything. BF is musical flags, ET is objective based. The classes aren't as flexible as it sounds like you'd like, but they have a lot of options. Try being a field op. But I'd recommend not doing so until you have a clue of what you're doing.

Download the demo and find out for yourself. It's free, and in my opinion, it's a 'real' hardcore multiplayer game. Fast twitch based gameplay, intelligent objectives with complicated classes.

There are potential drawbacks, like some people don't like the animations, or the graphics look dated. But I don't care. The gameplay is hardcore. Let me know what you think as I usually agree with your opinions.

34. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 05:08 CreamyBlood

After 8 years, I'd expect more than 6 maps and definitely more gameplay depth than the extremely inflexible class system allows.

Jerykk, although you sometimes come across as being young and opinionated, which isn't a problem, I find I am more often than not in agreement with your analysis of games in general.

I'm just wondering what you think of Quake Wars: Enemy Territory. Despite it's shortcomings I think it's probabably the best multiplayer shooter out there at the moment. Without comparing it to 'Tribes', what do you think?

1211 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo