Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Reactor

Real Name Reactor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Reactor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 15, 2003, 10:47
Total Comments 736 (Apprentice)
User ID 19395

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > On Fallout 3
20. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 27, 2009, 01:02 Reactor

In Bethesda's case, that "measuring stick" would be money.

Yes, game developers have two things- both money and time.

Care to explain why you found the writing in Fallout 3 of good quality?

What do you mean by 'quality'? I can tell you if I was entertained by it, and I can tell you if it distracted from the other elements of the game. But 'quality', you'll have to define for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 27, 2009, 00:28 Reactor

The bar for quality and innovation should constantly be raised.

And by what measuring stick should developers measure quality, or innovation? Is it whatever you decide, or is there some universal high-bar that rises over time, over which every game must jump?

Your comment is a silly one.

This is the difference between good and bad writing: one resonates with you at an emotional level, the other just sits there, inert, and undramatic.

Writing doesn't need to 'resonate with one at an emotional level', in order to be good. I didn't find the final scenes of HL2 emotional, but I'd agree the writing was good. It's different for different people, and like movies, very small factors can affect how someone at that time might be emotionally moved... from how you feel at the time (amount of sleep you've had, etc), to whether you have vsync on or not during the game.

14. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 26, 2009, 22:53 Reactor

Because people generally go to support forums to post about how well their game is working, right? Of course everyone there is having problems.

You haven't been there, have you?

The game never crashed for me once in 50+ hours of playing it. The three other guys I work with that played it on PC never had a problem, either.

So, it only crashes on a really large number of PCs, compared to all of them? Awesome news!

News Comments > UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans
23. Re: UT3 Jan 26, 2009, 22:43 Reactor

So then it's settled: when the Titan Pack is released in full, we're all going to drop whatever we're playing and play some UT3.

If you can get Derek to drop Battlecruiser and join us, yes.

That's it. And that's the TRUE measure of a game's quality.

UT3 is the Vista of the fps world. No one likes it, but it's actually pretty darn good. (and it needs a new system to run it)

11. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 26, 2009, 21:40 Reactor

In the entire time I played Fallout 3 only crashed twice. I didn't notice any glaring problems.

Some people are lucky. Have a look at the Fallout 3 support forums. It's a large, complex game, but after their previous games you'd think they'd have most of the engine stability issues worked out by now. Somehow the latest patch sent my game into 'crash every two seconds' mode, until I upgraded my Nvidia drivers from .20 to .22. How on earth do you get a game to do that?

14. Re: UT3 Jan 26, 2009, 21:23 Reactor

I picked it up for $10 (on Steam) a while back, and it's great for a quick go online. However, one level seems to crash out of the game for me, so... I'm starting to get somewhat reserved about playing it.

When it works, it's like a pretty version of good ol' UT.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 21:23.

7. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 26, 2009, 20:48 Reactor

I've honestly enjoyed every bit of Fallout 3 I've played. In my mind it's worthy of the hype surrounding it... good story, music, atmosphere... the whole lot. It's easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played in years.

The problem is, whoever put the tech team together obviously decided to try hiring a pack of monkeys, and gave each of them a set of boxing gloves to work with. Then they built a time-machine, and hired a tech support team from 1982. In two years, I predict no one on earth will be able to run the game on PCs, because even the sligtest driver update will have broken the game.

5. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 26, 2009, 20:29 Reactor

Bugs is one thing, but Fallout 3 is no Daggerfall. That game is in a league of its own.  

4. Re: UT3 Jan 26, 2009, 19:51 Reactor

I'm enjoying UT3 at the moment, but it is a tad unstable.  

3. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 26, 2009, 19:50 Reactor

What about the fact that the game is still buggy as shit?

Yes, why do the media seem oblivious to this fact? I love the game, but getting it to work is half impossible.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Patch
43. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Jan 25, 2009, 05:09 Reactor

Anyone tried something like nHancer to get AA going in the game? I'm too busy with the terrible port of Fallout 3 right now to care, but it may well work.  

News Comments > New Spore Plans
11. Re: New Spore Plans Jan 22, 2009, 22:00 Reactor

OR, you created giant flaming hoops of expectation for it to jump through, and then complained when, during the required 'tripple double back-forward front flip of death', Spore caught on fire and died.

Not a perfect game I agree, but the bandwagon of hype you most certainly did jump on.

News Comments > Layoffs at Black Box & ACES
3. Re: yaay more people in the market Jan 22, 2009, 21:01 Reactor

Where did you work?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 21, 2009, 19:39 Reactor

Yep... that article is rubbish.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Commander in Chief
2. Re: Well if it was me Jan 20, 2009, 01:37 Reactor

I'd convert the earth into a metal planet, build as many metal extractors as I could, and get an army ready to take out the Core Commander and his defending Krogoth.  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Retrospective
39. Re: Planescape: Torment Retrospective Jan 18, 2009, 05:17 Reactor

Ditto, great links, thanks.  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Retrospective
36. Re: Planescape: Torment Retrospective Jan 18, 2009, 04:00 Reactor

Loved Planescape, but for some reason never did get around to finishing it. If it were on Gog, I'd certainly grab it again.  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
37. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jan 13, 2009, 19:31 Reactor

Once I got the game to work (I think by resetting my Nvidia controls to defaults... I think) I've been completely absorbed by the game. I love it. However, Beth's support system sucks so badly it's stupid. Their tech support people are still sending out help emails to people, which mention quad cores being as something still to come for computers.

If this game works for the average person's PC in two years, I'll be amazed.

News Comments > Mac BioShock Rumor
4. Re: Mac BioShock Rumor Jan 13, 2009, 00:44 Reactor

And I thought I was late to the party when I waited until it was $5 on steam over the holidays to pick it up...

At the time we were... but thankfully late has been redefined by Mac gamers for us.

News Comments > Ghostbusters Game in June
6. Re: Ghostbusters Game in June Jan 8, 2009, 00:47 Reactor

Yeah, I already went the sport car router and have the young (10years) girlfriend...

Your girlfriend is 10?

*calls the cops*

736 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo