Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Chris

Real Name Chris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 12, 2003, 22:41
Total Comments 74 (Suspect)
User ID 19374

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > 3000AD vs. DC Rd 2
72. Hellbinder for President! May 18, 2005, 19:52 Chris

You've just gotta adore a guy who expresses himself with all the grace of a semi-literate emotionally dysfunctional 12 year old, calls others "punks," worships Derek Smart, and puts his system specs in his posts. You go girl!

Of course, Hellbinder is not one of Derek's pseudonyms. One can tell by which style of illiteracy they manifest: Derek, cannot seem, to understand, how commas are, supposed to be used. Whereas Hellbinder Cannot Seem to underStand which Words are supposed To be caPitalized. Kindred spirits, yes, but not one and the same person.

Incidentally, Derek Smart does not have a Ph.D., does not have a master's degree, does not have a bachelor's degree, and I'll bet even money he never graduated from high school (lower odds on a GED wager). I eagerly await your thoughtful remarks on these facts, Mr. Hellbinder.

This comment was edited on May 18, 19:53.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Legal geniuses at Tecmo May 18, 2005, 16:28 Chris

They're trying to sue people who *downloaded* *skins* for a volleyball game. Putting aside the futility of this legal action -- why?

Remind to never spend penny one on anything from Tecmo.

News Comments > 80 Days Unveiled
1. Soundes ExTreme!!!! May 14, 2005, 14:31 Chris

Manage time, money, rest, and food!!! You will be able to speak and run, and even bribe!! "Drive" a slow clumsy airship! Experience the thrill of multiple difficulty levels!! And best of all, the funniest dialogs in video game history!!!

"Funny" dialogue, running, and food management together in the same game: our prayers are answered.

26. Re: May 13, 2005, 15:36 Chris

So you don't have a problem paying for fan-made mods that are free on the PC? What about paying for extra levels that should have been in the main game you just bought? What about paying for extra guns that should have been in the game? What about paying $60 for a game, then having to pay another $30 if you want multiplayer?

Allowing games to be broken into "pieces," as it were, would be a good thing for gamers. If pieces such as extra levels, guns, and functionality can be purchased seperately it gives firms incentive to produce those pieces. Notice the price of a given "bundle" of will not be much affected -- if the game is $60 and multiplayer "piece" is $30, then the bundled game would be about $90 if it could only be purchased as a package.

Analogously, you are not worse off as a consumer because at most restauarants you can purchase your main course seperately from your appetizer, your dessert, and your drink. You would not be better off if you could only purchase all of these "pieces" bundled together. And you would not save much, if any, money if restaurants worked on a model where you could only purchase the bundled meal -- and any price decreases come at the cost of reduced choice.

19. Re: 9.6 gigahertz :-O May 13, 2005, 13:22 Chris

"That and this Xbox 360 is still stuck renduring it's games on a 512x512 TV."

I'd guess the next generation of consoles will take a bigger bite out of PC gaming than past generations simply because consoles are able to replicate more and more PC functionality as technology progresses. I think it was foolish for Microsoft to not package the XBox as a PC-lite with keyboard and mouse support and they may correct that error in this generation.

Further, it would appear HDTV, at long last, is finally taking off, and the 2006 FCC mandate to stop broadcasting analog will help that along. A substantial fraction of households -- particularly those buying gaming consoles -- will be viewing next gen games in their living rooms at 1280x720 or higher with full-blown 5.1 surround systems.

On a final random note: the designers at Microsoft have produced another butt-ugly console. Like most adults I assume, I would be putting that Fisher-Price looking irregular white thing on a stand with hi-fi equipment. I chose a PS2 over an XBox primarily because the PS2 looks like it belongs in my living room, and it would appear Sony will keep my business. Microsoft's designers should learn that their audience is not, on average, 12 years old.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. DEREK SMART! Apr 6, 2005, 00:25 Chris

Oh come on: no one's going to comment on this merely because comments weren't enabled?

News Comments > Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth Ships
11. Re: No subject Dec 6, 2004, 21:16 Chris

Remember:

1. Generals got pretty good reviews. Generals was a bug-ridden, terribly supported mess.

2. The worst aspect of Generals was the unforgivably abysmal online play. Unbalanced, no support, horrible net code. None of these reviews are based on multiplayer because they were written before the game was in stores.

3. The Generals team was immediately moved to another project -- the expansion -- instead of supporting the existing game. The expansion was an unmitigated disaster. Not only did it introduce myriad new problems, it actually *re-introduced* many problems that had been patched in the original game. Why? Because the dev team and the high school kid they hired to "support" Generals apparently didn't communicate.

Note: I just received an email from EA announcing they're begun work on a new game in the Red Alert universe. In other words, THE LoTR DEV TEAM HAS ALREADY BEEN REASSIGNED. Don't expect anything in this game to be fixed.

Caveat emptor. Firms live or die by their reputation. EA has a lousy reputation; the team that produced this game has an absolutely horrible reputation.

News Comments > Sunday Game Reviews
10. Re: N00bz Dec 6, 2004, 12:45 Chris

Wow, lots of n00bies in this thread talking about bugs in BFME. Links plz.

D00d!!! if U use yr maD reading Skillz0r, U will find the n00bies wuz engaging in sPeculashun about bugs!!!!! ur so eleet U make us all sad d00d lololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Re: EA's latest Dec 5, 2004, 17:39 Chris

You won't find anything in IGN's review of Generals about bugs either, but it was buggy as hell. Largely in multiplayer, which isn't discussed in this review. Anyone like to wager on whether pulling your network connection will cause the game to record a win, as in Generals?

1. EA's latest Dec 5, 2004, 15:21 Chris

Gosh, the LoTR RTS from the Generals team is released in an unbalanced, incomplete (and probably buggy as hell) state. What a surprise. They seem to have removed forums from the official site, presumably to preclude a zillion negative posts about the utter lack of support for the previous game from these producers.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: HDTV gaming Nov 20, 2004, 09:35 Chris

I, like the guys in the article, have a system hooked up to a Samsung DLP, which displays 1280x720 @ 60hz. Through the DVI connection it looks great, although it is sometimes difficult to make out detail in dark scenes. DLP sets are immune to burn-in. Only problem is, again as in the article, trying to wield a mouse and keyboard sitting on a sofa.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Patches
4. Re: Some good some bad... Nov 4, 2004, 12:13 Chris

So -- to coin a phrase -- is the patch that makes the game fun?

Picking this up would've been a no-brainer for me until reading about the myriad bugs and connection problems. Is it now patched to the point where it more or less works?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Saturday Night Dead Oct 25, 2004, 14:32 Chris

"I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally,I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me."

-- Ashlee Simpson

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Prices aren't going up Oct 9, 2004, 11:25 Chris

The article is rubbish. The economics of the situation -- an increase in fixed costs with little or no change in variable costs -- predict higher development costs will lead to fewer titles at roughly the same price. It is in particular not true that

The only way to make up for the larger expenditures will be to raise game prices on new titles.

Rather, the other way to make up for larger expenditures --- sell more units at the same price --- will dominate.

The article goes on to provide some of the most breathtakingly stupid analysis this side of the BC3000ad forums. For example,

"Take a look at the elasticity figures on cigarettes; you think smoking is down since cigarettes have gone up to 5 bucks a pack or whatever they cost? Hardly at all, it's amazing. If that's the case with cigarettes, tell me that video game elasticity is going to be affected very much—you know, demand is going to be affected very much—by a 20% increase in price. It's not happening."

First, the demand elasticity of cigarettes has been pegged at about -0.5 in several hundred studies, that is, a 10% increase in the price of cigarettes leads to a fall in quantity demanded of about 5%. That is technically inelastic but not "amazingly" so, and contrary to this genius smoking rates have actually fallen substantially in response to tax increases. More amazing is the argument that if demand for cigarettes is inelastic it follows the demand for video games must also be inelastic! Um, huh? He also misuses the term "elastic" in a manner suggesting he doesn't understand what it means.

He begins: "It's pretty simple; it's just economics." I think Wedbush Morgan Securities would be well advised to fire this idiot and hire someone who actually passed Economics 101.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Steam Release
71. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 18:53 Chris

Why would having physics in HL:S "completely break gameplay?"
Anyways, the advertising for HL:S explicitly notes that it's "enhanced via Source technology to include physics simulation." One supposes that the folks at Valve have, sadly, stopped using their brains.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Catwoman
1. Re: Catwoman Jul 23, 2004, 11:14 Chris

I hope the video game is every bit as fantastic as the movie!

News Comments > Game Movies
6. Re: Psh... Jun 27, 2004, 13:36 Chris

The LotR game is being developed by the same incompetent nitwits -- Skaggs and Bonin -- as Generals. The new game will involve, like Generals, a nifty and almost well-implemented design completely ruined by the producers' insistence on shoving a buggy, incomplete mess out the door.

NEVER spend money on anything even vaguely associated with Harvard Bonin.

News Comments > Consolidation
10. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2004, 14:18 Chris

Mr. Blue's wording is misleading. It should not be

Sony Computer Entertainment America blames broadband pricing on PS2's 10% online uptake.

It should rather be

Sony Computer Entertainment America blames broadband pricing FOR PS2's 10% online uptake.

(ie, Sony is not claiming, as implied, that broadband pricing is caused by PS2's low online uptake.) Sony's claim is that broadband's pricing is high enough to prevent many people from playing online. That seems a reasonable claim to me -- I don't know what the "LOL" refers to.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Selling Son's Beloved Play Station 2 Jun 4, 2004, 11:19 Chris

Gosh, I certainly hope she "recoops" her losses!

Her 13 year old gets blind drunk and her worry is the $177? Perhaps she should consider getting help for her child rather than defending "her stuff."

I sincerely hope the auction is a prank. It certainly reads like something written like a 13 year old. Or, disturbingly, a depressingly stupid piss-poor parent.

News Comments > On Team Fortress 2
14. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2004, 14:00 Chris

The major difference between DNF and HL2 is that the former has been hyped since 1997 whereas the latter only since last Summer -- and Valve is (correctly) taking flak for missing its release date so dramatically. For what it's worth DNF has been in development since 1996.

"We're confident that DNF will be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, game of 1998. And this confidence is not misplaced." - Scott Miller, 1997

"Duke Nukem Forever is a 1999 game and we think that timeframe matches very well with what we have planned for the game." - George Broussard, 1998

"Trust us, Duke Nukem Forever will rock when it comes out next year." - Joe Siegler, 1999

"When it's done in 2001." - 2000 Christmas card

"DNF will come out before Unreal 2." - George Broussard, 2001

"If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong." - George Broussard, 2001

"DNF will come out before Doom 3." - George Broussard, 2002

74 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo