Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nathan Phoenix

Real Name Nathan Phoenix   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Lokust
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 118666859
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 27, 2003, 23:05
Total Comments 328 (Amateur)
User ID 19188

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 18, 2011, 11:10 Lokust

Yep, I used to love me some TF2, the new crap with the unlocks and hats is just terrible. They ran that game into the ground. Some things just don't need to be screwed with because they're already "just right."  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Tanks Asserts Server Record
7. Re: World of Tanks Asserts Server Record Jan 6, 2011, 22:18 Lokust

They aren't an MMO. It's counterstrike with tanks. 15 on 15 does not an MMO make.  

News Comments > EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs
8. Re: EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs Dec 8, 2010, 13:20 Lokust

I don't think a random statement like this carries any weight with EA's history of killing games early, even in beta sometimes.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations
25. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations Nov 16, 2010, 21:30 Lokust

Rushed game sucks, film at 11.

Not that they've put out a genuinely good FF game since 6....

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2010, 04:55 Lokust

I lolled at the counterstrike article. Something that would have been relevant, what, eleven or twelve years ago? Everyone has already masted this game and moved on.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 9, 2010, 17:27 Lokust

The CPL was such a joke, with how it bowed so much to pressure from it's "star players."  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 25, 2010, 09:07 Lokust

shit sites like digg and kotaku need to die anyway  

News Comments > Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed
28. Re: Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed Sep 11, 2010, 07:39 Lokust

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 03:44:
A lot of money thats used to buy new games in fact comes from trade-ins of games which does fuel used game trade. It also helps customers buy those shiny new 60 dollar games.

Your logic has some holes in it:

1) The sale of the used game does not benefit the developer or publisher of that game.
2) If someone sells their games and is running tight on money, why would he or she buy shiny new $60 dollar games? It makes more sense to buy the $55 used games that Gamestop offers so readily.
3) Different developers make different games. Selling a used copy of Game A and then using that money to buy a new copy of Game B does not benefit the developer of Game A.

I don't really care about laws and such so I'm not defending this ruling. However, people really need to stop claiming that used sales help developers. They don't. The only people they help are consumers who want to save money.

1) The sale of the used game benefits the developer and publisher because the person who sold the game now has more money to spend on games. Additionally, if they were not allowed to resell the game in the first place, they might not have ever bought it, meaning less initial sales for the developer and publisher.

2) Maybe because the same store that buys most used games is constantly pushing preorders, and running big midnight launch events for all the big name new stuff? Have you never been into a gamestop and see people bring in used games solely to put towards a preorder, since people will happily trade items that they no longer use to put them toward getting the next big thing.

3) See point #1. If a customer knows that Game A's publisher doesn't allow resales, they may hold on to their money and not buy Game A, instead waiting for Game B and giving that developer and publisher their money instead.

It's fallacious to say that used sales don't help developers. The ability to sell used product is a big part of what gives something it's value. I can buy a car, and use it, and when I don't want it anymore, I can sell it. If I couldn't turn around and resell a used car for thousands of dollars, I sure wouldn't be willing to pay as much for it. Obviously many automakers have been hurting in the sales department lately. Do you think that Ford is going to come out and suddenly say that resale of their cars is not allowed, when Toyota allows resale of theirs? It would destroy their business.

I buy many older games on Steam for a fraction of what they cost new. I know full well I can't resell those games, but if I buy them 'new' for $10 instead of $50 I understand that they might not be worth the same thing to me as a consumer. Conversely I also buy used copies of games off ebay. Maybe I pay $10 for the same used game on ebay. On ebay the developer made no money off my sale. However they also made a lot more off the initial sale than they did off the Steam sale. There exists room in the marketplace for both physical and digital copies of entertainment media.

News Comments > MDK 2 HD Plans
9. Re: MDK 2 HD Plans Jun 26, 2010, 02:03 Lokust

I'd rather have MDK1 remade on the PC. That game was a fucking amazing classic. MDK2 was much more puzzle-oriented and just didn't seem to have the action and pacing that I enjoyed about the first game. The eclectic silliness was there but it seemed like a branch off into a different direction, and I was disappointed with that.  

News Comments > Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD
32. Re: Kotick: Audience Jun 20, 2010, 17:23 Lokust

Kotick, your audiences already ARE paying for it, by paying for the XBOX Live gold membership. I wouldn't expect them to be happy if you double dip.  

News Comments > XCOM Trailer
24. Re: XCOM Trailer Jun 11, 2010, 18:38 Lokust

Looks complete crap and it dilutes the X-com brand by using the name. Shooting little jumping black slimes? Seriously? If you want to do X-com as an FPS you need to look at the Space Hulk strategy/fps games as a better basis. Or even the original Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear games. The pacing is all wrong.  

News Comments > Blade Kitten Announced
3. Re: Blade Kitten Announced Jun 2, 2010, 23:02 Lokust

If you buy it, your girlfriend will know that you're a closet furry.  

News Comments > Shogun 2 Revealed
5. Re: Shogun 2 Revealed Jun 2, 2010, 22:59 Lokust

Well, Shogun was the only good game they ever made, IMO, so hopefully they can recapture some of that.  

News Comments > Evony Anniversary
8. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 19:54 Lokust

Every time I see this game I think the voice of the tax collector from Majesty saying "More GOLD your majesty"  

News Comments > APB in June/July Subscriptions Details
9. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:54 Lokust

that's an awesome subscription model i wish more games used!  

News Comments > Stolen SF4 Footage Sought
16. Re: Stolen SF4 Footage Sought Apr 25, 2010, 00:12 Lokust

classy.  

News Comments > XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced
19. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 10:10 Lokust

You had me at XCOM.....

and then you lost me at First Person Shooter.

Seriously, how stupid can they be?

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve"
64. So their DRM will evolve, eh? Apr 11, 2010, 10:46 Lokust

Fortunately my list of game companies I'll buy products from has already 'evolved' to not include Ubisoft.  

News Comments > Free Total Annihilation Expansion on Impulse
1. Re: Free Total Annihilation Expansion on Impulse Apr 10, 2010, 02:08 Lokust

Battle tactics was pretty crap, as expansions go, but Core Contingency really made the game awesome.  

News Comments > Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition Announced
8. Re: Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition Announced Apr 2, 2010, 15:47 Lokust

Blood bowl is awesome, and the existing PC game does a good job of replicating that, but be aware that this game is very sloppily coded. This is unfortunately typical of anything Cyanide has put out. Lots of bugs, poor UI, ridiculous load times for the graphics level, etc.  

328 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo