Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve

Real Name Steve   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sliv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 22, 2003, 23:07
Total Comments 171 (Novice)
User ID 19104

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Top 5 Predictions Jan 9, 2010, 07:53 sliv

The last analyst contradicts all the rest of the analyst. Either he's more "in the know" or he's completely clueless. Based on his comments, I'm going for the latter.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball
22. Re: Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball Jan 7, 2010, 09:47 sliv

If I never hear about this game ever again I'll be happy.

Yeah, right. Every time there's a story on Blue's about DNF, there is never less than 20+ comments. Everyone loves talking about DNF. It's the ultimate punching bag for the cynical gamer.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2010, 09:48.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 29, 2009, 12:54 sliv

I read the article and, yes, the title is misleading. The author seems to be harping on the primitive special effects back when television was still in it's early age and without CGI. blah, blah, blah

Now, I do agree with the actual title of the article in that I believe we're becoming much better critics when it comes to show quality. I watched all the cartoons and tv shows: A-Team, Transformers, Thundercats, He-man, Smurfs, The Fall Guy, GI Joe, etc, etc, etc. and I thought they were the coolest things I have ever seen. I had the toys, the backpack, the lunchbox (with thermos) and all of the school supplies that my parents would get me. But I've gone back and watched a couple of episodes on YouTube and they definitely aren't up to the quality that are by today's standards and what I remember them to be.

Watch an episode of Spongebob Squarepants and then go try to sit through one episode of Voltron. The technology hasn't changed much in that they're both hand-drawn animations, but the storyline, scene direction and smoothness of the animation is far better. Case in point, when my younger brother was in elementary school, I showed him an old episode of He-man and he thought it was the dumbest thing he ever saw. And this was less than 10 years ago. At his age, I would see an episode and afterward I'd run outside to go play He-man with my buddies.

I've seen the sweet lion box-sets of Voltron at Best Buy and have thought about buying one, but then I remember that my memories are probably far better than the actual show so I put it back knowing that if I watch it, it would completely ruin it for me. That and I save money too!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2009, 00:54 sliv

Isn't part of "home field advantage" the crowd noise? So what does Jerry Jones do? He gives everyone 3D glasses so they can stare at the screen instead of actually paying attention to the game. At one point I could actually hear Philip Rivers' snap count. Seriously? I've been a Cowboy fan my whole life but it's getting harder and harder to remain one thanks to Jerry Jones. I'll return to my die-hard fan ways when they care about playing football again.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Web Design Goes Straight to Hell Dec 4, 2009, 18:05 sliv

I've fired a client for getting too involved in the process too. I have one right now who knows Photoshop and Dreamweaver enough to be annoying, knows nothing of web and graphic design and yet wants to tell me what a good website looks like.

Little did I know purchasing some design software magically makes you a designer. Why did I waste those years in college getting my design degree?

News Comments > GameStop Profits Up
13. Re: GameStop Profits Up Nov 20, 2009, 09:02 sliv

Won't step into GameStop. There's a Game Crazy down the street and I've gotten to know the guys really well up there. My used game money goes there.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2009, 14:13 sliv

And dear Lord did the Cowboys suck yesterday.

Dallas walked into a hornet's nest yesterday since Green Bay was embarrassed by a winless Tampa last week and their defense was in the hot seat. Not making excuses, but stating a point.

I still haven't heard a good reason for the 'unable to review the possession of a lost fumble' rule. What would be the reason the rule would be put in place? Isn't that what instant replay is for? Take that away and it's a two possession game. A call like that deflates whatever the team had left. Start feeling like the refs are against you too. Just saying...

7. Burton in Wonderland Nov 16, 2009, 13:12 sliv

I was really pumped about the new Tim Burton's AiW until I first saw that it was a Disney film, and then saw the trailer for it.

How disappointing. I was hoping Burton would have gone more towards the Scissorhands/American McGee's Alice direction as opposed to another Willy Wonka. Alice in Wonderland is packed with locals that to me should support the psychologically unbalanced creepiness than the typical fun-for-kiddies zaniness.

Yeah, it's a Disney film, but they already made a cutesy cartoon. We're all grown up now, bring on the dark stuff!

News Comments > etc.
5. Casual Gamers Nov 14, 2009, 19:56 sliv

Getting to this late, my thoughts:
I was at one time a more 'hard-core' gamer, if the definition of a hard-core gamer is someone who pays for new games on release date and spend at least 20 hours a week playing games.

However, I'm now married, a homeowner and have a child so I've become a more casual gamer, if even that. True, I don't buy new games at release, I get maybe 5 - 10 hours to play per week and will buy games used before buying a game new. So I'm definitely not pumping money into the industry, however I don't think I'm the main reason either. Here's my reasons why:

1) when I was younger, there was pretty much Nintendo and the PC. Saturn and Dreamcast both failed and the PS1 was either not around or just starting up. Now there's the PC, the Wii with it's endless accessories, Xbox 360 and PS3 which seem to love their "exclusives" resulting in alienating three-fourths of the buying population. I own a Wii and PS3 so no Alan Wake for me, for example.

2) gamers are getting older. This is a generalization of course, but in it's initial "hayday", I was in college so my money went to the school and my hobbies which was playing games. Those days are long gone. Heck, my kid will probably play games, but not for a while as he's under a year old right now.

3) game prices. Before there were a handful of good developers to choose from, now there are developers whose names I've never heard of (many of them are based here in Austin!) making and releasing games at over $30 each. Too much competition equals money being spread around too much. Add the economy into the mix and you'll get even weaker sales.

4) and finally, with the popularity of blogging and social networking, anyone can be a writer and be their own game reviewer. This doesn't seem like it would cause too much harm, however with the overall negativity that most gaming site readers bring into the forums, enough "meh" opinions on games can drive people away from buying the game.

I would add piracy as a #5, but we hear enough excuses for poor sales from that so not going to bother using it as a scapegoat again.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 14, 2009, 19:08 sliv

Tried DJ Hero yesterday and I'm not surprised it is underperforming. I played one song, thought it was a pretty dumb concept and walked away.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2009, 20:41 sliv

Netflix on PS3. Awesome goodness.

Yep, mine came in the mail today too, though at first I thought they accidentally sent me a third disc when I'm only on contract for two. When I saw the "Do not return disc to Netflix" I remembered it was coming today.

The HD is very smooth with no stuttering, though I was really surprised how some of the newer movies aren't in HD yet, but some old movies are. Not complaining, just an observation...

First movie I tested HD with was The Big Lebowski.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 20:42.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Netflix for PS3 Oct 26, 2009, 14:07 sliv

Looks like it will allow HD streaming which PlayOn does not and was exclusive to 360. Free with current subscription, I'm in.  

1. Netflix for PS3 Oct 26, 2009, 11:21 sliv

$8.99 a month? Bought PlayOn for $30 and it plays Netflix just fine. And includes Hulu, CBS, ESPN and YouTube.

Hopefully the monthly fee is just for current unsubscribers or they won't make a dime.

Update - I ordered the disc and wasn't asked to increase my current subscription so it sounds like it's only for current unsubscribers. We'll see when I get my disc next month.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2009, 11:22.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Oct 22, 2009, 00:32 sliv

Saw Transformers 2 for the first time tonight. I thought it was good, even though I heard so much hatred piled on it. Lot more action than the first one, the camera was zoomed out so you could see the robots fighting. Funny parts, especially the twin robots and Devastators... well... you know, and you could actually understand what Starscream and Megatron were saying. They basically fixed everything that they complained about in the first movie and they still find something to complain about. I guess that's why they're called 'critics.'

The "critics" on Rotten Tomatoes give it 19% because it had 2 1/2 hours of action... C'mon! It's an action movie, don't you remember what the cartoons were like? Little plot, little character development and a lot of robot fights. geez, lighten up...

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Oct 16, 2009, 23:10 sliv

Don't they mean LDS?  

News Comments > $25 Mil Left 4 Dead 2 Ad Campaign
29. Re: $25 Mil Left 4 Dead 2 Ad Campaign Oct 6, 2009, 01:03 sliv

...would have saved them 20 mil because everyone would be banging down the door to get the game.

Yeah, maybe those who read online gaming websites and magazines. If they're spending $25M on advertising, they're looking beyond ads in gaming sites and more mainstream for a more mainstream audience. I'm sure Zombieland will be release on DVD around the time of L4D2 just in time for Christmas shopping.

Tough competition at that time of year so a $25M budget sounds about right to me.

News Comments > etc.
2. New SF4 character Sep 29, 2009, 10:22 sliv

I don't know Japanese so I guessed on their navigation:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/character.html

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 23, 2009, 15:58 sliv

Bought PlayOn so I can watch Netflix on the PS3; works perfectly, can also listen to music, photos and videos stored on my PC. Doesn't inherently recognize dvr-ms files, but works if you convert them first.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Clip
7. Re: Star Trek Online Clip Sep 6, 2009, 17:56 sliv

Those were the most underwhelming explosions I've ever seen. The ships are supposed to be huge with a radioactive core on each and you get this puny explosion that's half the size of the ship itself. Phasers look pretty cool, but the way the ships were moving, they felt like they were same size and mass as a little shuttlecraft.  

6. PS3 firmware Sep 1, 2009, 12:00 sliv

The update comes on the same day as the launch of the new 120GB slimmer PS3.

hmm... this must not be talking about the US as I've had my PS3 Slim for almost a week now.

171 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo