Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve

Real Name Steve   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sliv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 22, 2003, 23:07
Total Comments 171 (Novice)
User ID 19104

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Finally. . . Feb 18, 2004, 01:30 sliv

Welp. . . I finally made a decision on what motherboard to buy. I went back and forth between Abit (for price) and Asus (for quality), and decided I'd get the most expensive Socket A motherboard that Fry's sold; the DFI LanParty NFII Ultra B. It's up and running now, no hiccups whatsoever and seems rock solid. It has some add-ons that I'm glad came with it:

-Round IDE cables instead of the wide ribbon
-Front panel in the 5.25" bay (my case doesn't have any front hookups for USB or 1394)
-SATA (I don't know how to hook it up, but is nice to know it's included)
-Travel Straps in case I want to move my box somewhere else safely

I haven't run any tests or anything as of yet, but so far I'm extremely impressed with how easy the install was and how solid it seems to be running; well worth the extra money in my eyes. It just better last longer than the one year my old Gigabyte board did.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: No subject Feb 15, 2004, 00:12 sliv

Do like my buddy did and get married on Valentine's Day. Genius, I tell ya, pure genius! It's the very definition of killing two birds with one stone.

Actually my girlfriend is at a wedding in Cabo, Mexico this weekend. My 'bird' is temporarily delayed, we'll be celebrating V-day tomorrow night. Flying solo tonight though!

My only advice is grow up or kill yourself. Either way you do the world a favor and make everyone happy, see you CAN make people happy you losers!

wow, hmm. . . great advice. I'm sure feelin' the love.

23. Re: Go Monkey! Feb 15, 2004, 00:03 sliv

I am snowed in! First snow here in over a year(that sticks), weee!

Same here in Dallas, it snowed most of the day, about 4 inches and now it's all melted. It was the first time my dog (black lab) has seen snow; she didn't know what to think!

33. glExcess Feb 13, 2004, 21:36 sliv

Anybody know what happened to the glExcess site? Went to download the benchmark and the sites down. Has it been down long?

40. Re: Narrowing it down. . . Feb 12, 2004, 00:13 sliv

*psst*
Don't bother with the AthlonXP. Go for the Athlon64 3000+ or 3200+!

I know, I know, I'd kill for a 64 system, but. . . I can't afford it right now. I would but I'm going to be buying a very expensive piece of jewelry in the next month or so. . .*gulp*

I appreciate all the advice, I'm going up to Fry's tomorrow to have them test out my current board and I'll probably get the Asus board, my tax refund should be coming in tomorrow. Gigabyte has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth crapping out on me in one year, that was AFTER I took the first one back because it didn't work at all.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 00:15.

22. Narrowing it down. . . Feb 11, 2004, 18:14 sliv

I've done some research on the current mb's out there and have narrowed it down to three. . . they've all got the specs I'm looking for, but don't know which makes the best quality board. I had a Gigabyte board and it died in a little over a year; never had an Asus or DFI. Would like some insight from everyone who's leading the race. There is a $30 difference between Gigabyte and the rest. I'd be willing to put up the $30 for good quality as opposed to having to go through all this in another year. Links are below, I appreciate any advice.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe $139.99
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-e-d/overview.htm

DFI Lanparty NFII UltraB $139.99
http://www.lanparty.com.tw/LP1/index_lp_us.jsp?BOARD_ID=3

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 $109.99
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2.htm

34. Mobo question Feb 8, 2004, 17:24 sliv

Hey guys, looking at getting a new motherboard since my last one crapped out on me and, in turn, burnt out my cpu. Here's the specs on my current rig:

-Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton)
-512mb DDR 2700
-ATI Radeon 8500 Pro
-Soundblaster Live! 5.1

Don't need RAID capabilities but do need 1394 connections, USB 2.0 and onboard network card (most come standard now)
I'm not looking to spend much more than $100, but would like to know what brands and models have the best quality. I currently have a Gigabyte 7VAXP with a KT400 chipset.
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VAXP.htm
Had it for about a year and it died on me.

Any suggestions will help, thanks for your help guys.

88. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 6, 2004, 16:50 sliv

And denying the logical proofs that exist outside of your faith? Science does not destroy religion. If your faith cannot exist without artificial support, then it isn't really faith now, is it?

I don't need proof to believe in what I believe, but many, many, many people I've encountered do, everyone wants to know that what they're putting their faith in is truly legit.

If you believe every word of the Bible to be outright truth, then you need to do some more bible research and start trying to explain some of the contradictions that are in it. Like how David slayed Goliath. Twice. Separated by many years.

I've done PLENTY of research on the Bible and throughout you'll see tons of symbolism:
"Take up your cross and follow me", "The Holy Spirit came down from Heaven as a dove", the list goes on and on. Just look at the book of Revelation and you'll see so much symbolism it's incredibly difficult to read. There aren't any contradictions, there were at one time over 60 known contradictions and since every one of those have been corrected. The research has already been done. . .

Oh, and I rather like those bumper stickers too. I don't believe in Hell (or Heaven for that matter), but that's no reason to be an asshole.

Look, I'm not trying to push my beliefs on you by any means, it doesn't work. Debates never got anyone anywhere when it comes to religion and you're standing pretty rigid on your own personal beliefs anyway. If you do have contradictions that you know of, I'd like to know about them and try to clear them up if you'd let me.

I've come across so many people that have the same beliefs as you do; I used to be one of them. I just truly believe now there's more to it than us ending up here solely by chance and the idea of being born, we live, we die and it's over; there's just so much more to life than that.

News Comments > Consolidation
2. Re: Sigh Feb 6, 2004, 11:29 sliv

What's crazy to me is that in Japan, it seems normal that they sleep with cartoon-drawn pillows and bedsheets. Are they that desperate for women over there? It reminds me of that DOA3 commercial where the two guys are sitting on the coach playing the game and they're all giggling. "She kicks high!"

That is wrong on sooo many levels. . .

86. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 6, 2004, 09:17 sliv

he uses this “failure” to flaunt the creation theory, and apply it to humans.

Actually I've seen all 7 videos he's made. His "political tactic", as you call it, is actually to show clues as to why Creation actually happened, not billions and billions of years of slow evolution. Why? Not to mislead anyone, but if Creation did happen, and we were created by God Himself, then we are all accountable to what He has to say, i.e. the Bible. Most (if not all) people resist the idea of being accountable to anyone, especially to an all-knowing God. But since there aren't any 'burning bushes', they want to believe that we're on our own. Nobody likes the idea of Big Brother so if they just look the other way long enough, He may just leave you alone. Faith is defined as belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof. Everyone wants proof (burning bush, fire from heaven) before they believe. . . that's not faith.

My two favorite "bumper sticker" quotes:
"The one who dies with the most stuff, still dies"
which leads me to
"If your living your life like there is no Hell, you better be right"

79. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 14:23 sliv

There is no logical argument against it. The only arguments that are ever used are based on religious beliefs, and that's exactly the slippery slope that we have to stay away from.

Is it wrong to steal? If I think it's okay to steal something from you, would that be offensive to you? My beliefs are infringing on your beliefs and others. . . If I think it's okay to have sex with your wife or girlfriend, is that okay too? Where does it stop? We have governed laws to protect from things like that happening. Hmm. . where did I hear of those laws before? There is something more to God than everyday knowledge has shown; history has proved that over and over again.
I'm vocal because it was vocal contrary to my beliefs and I wasn't going to turn a blind eye. I felt I needed to state an alternative view from a "hypocritical religious freak".

Some interesting reading:
www.drdino.com ->$250,000 to anyone who can prove evolution as empirical truth as opposed to another form of religion

76. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 10:37 sliv

Same with the hypocrite religious freaks. I'd sooner trust my son with an average gay man, than I would a catholic priest.

Halsy, your #63 reply was dead on and I'm happy to fully agree with you.

I'm not sure why oh why everyone seems to put the always-present "hypocrite" in front of religious people (or "freaks" as you so clearly stated) and then there's the stereotype of a Catholic Priest as the bannerchild for Christianity. . . I don't understand that.
I thought twice about saying anything since Halsy says anything and everything that comes to his one-sided mind, but it seems to be the only thing that's intolerated in this world is the existence of God. And apparently everyone everywhere has this chip on their shoulder when it comes to their own spiritual beliefs.
I really don't want to make a huge flame thread out of this, but it bothered me that this statement was made and I felt I needed to say something.

18. Re: The Simpson's Personality Test Feb 4, 2004, 12:03 sliv

I did the exact opposite to my truthful answers but changed my ideal gifts and got:

"World Domination" - Mr. Burns
"Ideal Man" - Edna
"A Cool, Refreshing Duff" - Barney

15. Re: The Simpson's Personality Test Feb 4, 2004, 11:45 sliv

At least you didn't get EDNA. One of the most saddest, most desperate characters on the show.

Now that I know that Edna was a category, I'm feeling pretty good that I got Marge. . . sorry nin

11. Re: The Simpson's Personality Test Feb 4, 2004, 11:29 sliv

The pony... I knew where that would push the results, but what are you gonna do?

That's interesting because I chose Pony too, but still got Marge. . .

7. Re: The Simpson's Personality Test Feb 4, 2004, 11:26 sliv

You are Marge Simpson

Hmm. . . now I'm worried my ideal mate is Homer.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 11:26.

88. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2004, 09:26 sliv

I have a deathly fear of dentists (due to a couple of bad experiences with them), and frequently have a dream of my teeth falling out. Like, being in the middle of talking to someone, and as I'm speaking, the teeth slowly roll out of my mouth, one at a time...when I wake up, the first thing I do is check for my teeth...

I've had the same thing, it's just my teeth are cracking and they fall apart leaving a whole behind, it's usually just one, but it is a reoccuring dream. I was told by a friend that when you have a dream of your teeth falling out/cracking/disappearing that you subconsciously feel your life is out of control.

Maybe some day I'll find space to post a picture...

People say I look (and act) like Ray Romano. . .not sure if thats a compliment or an insult. . heh

42. Re: Pfft. Feb 3, 2004, 17:25 sliv

I always thought it was a kids/Christian song?

Halsy will say it's some sort of undercover government controlling brainwashing technique by the Bush administration to convert what would be everyday non-violent, prideless youth's to want to fight for our country. . .or something like that. . .

121. Whirlyball. . . Jan 30, 2004, 09:33 sliv

We have Whirlyball here in Dallas too, pretty fun, but what's even funnier is all the 'vets' who show up on a weekly basis and show off their mad skillz, getting all worked up when his team loses. . . now that's entertainment!

120. Re: Moot Jan 30, 2004, 09:28 sliv

"I feel so dirty when they start talking cute,
I wanna tell her that I love her, but the point is probably moot..."

Probably one of the worst verses in a popular classic song. . . Rick Springfield lives on!

171 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo