Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve

Real Name Steve   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sliv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 22, 2003, 23:07
Total Comments 171 (Novice)
User ID 19104

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > American McGee's Grimm Revealed
1. Grimm May 17, 2007, 21:17 sliv

Really enjoyed "Alice", one of the few that I played through several times. If Grimm is based on the look and feel of Alice then I'm interested.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Wii May 9, 2007, 21:02 sliv

It seems to me, and I may very well be wrong, that the Wii was not intended to market towards the hard-core gamers.
I'm planning on buying a Wii because it's completely different and a heck of a lot cheaper than the Xbox 360 or PS3. Plus it's something my wife and I can do together.(she absolutely has no interest in learning how to use the 38 buttons on an x-box controller)
Sure there aren't as many games as the PS2/3, but ask a casual gamer how much time (or money) they spend playing. They have select few titles they play all the time and they're happy with it. Heck my wife still loves playing Ms.Pacman on our old Atari 2600!

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Robot Obstacle Course Apr 24, 2007, 22:14 sliv

That made me laugh. . . especially the last robot trying to get past the turntable.

4. Re: font ban Apr 24, 2007, 21:11 sliv

Any individual or group who writes a manifesto doesn't deserve any kind of respect or coverage.

Sorry, and I'm sure I'll be getting in trouble for saying this, but I completely agree with his dislike for Comic Sans. My own personal peeve is "Papyrus" because everyone uses it, most times inappropriately, which is the case for most fonts. Look in any magazine or respectable publications and you would never see comic sans used except in parody.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: A bit of concern Apr 24, 2007, 16:47 sliv

I've been noticing my iBook G4 (14" 1.33GHz late 2004 model) running seemingly a bit hot to the touch today. On top it's toasty. On the bottom (underside) seems almost hot enough to burn.

At my old job I had a PowerBook G4 12" and it ran really hot. I would have it sitting on my lap and after about 30 minutes my legs would start cooking. The system never slowed down though. A friend who works on the IBM chips here in Austin said that was a big problem and was part of the reason Apple went with Intel because IBM couldn't get their chips cooled down enough. I never heard the fan run on the Powerbook and the vents are in the back, not on the bottom where my lap could be blocking it. I quit there so I never really looked into it. . .

11. Re: Laptop suggestions? Apr 24, 2007, 13:05 sliv

Just bought a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 three weeks ago at OfficeMax for $699 (OfficeMax gives instant savings so you don't have to mess with mail-in rebates) and we're really happy with it. It has Vista Home Premium and runs well on our home network with the other computers on XP. It's fairly solid meaning I don't feel like it's going to shatter if it gets a little man-handled. (or child-handled) With a 3-year extended warranty it still came sub-$1000.

btw- I read on an article here a few days back that said that extended warranties were a cash-cow. Depending on your product, I would have to disagree. I bought a four-year warranty from Best Buy for my Sony MiniDV camera three years and 8 months ago. The firewire port got fried and they immediately junked it out. I got back the full amount of $899 in credit towards a new HD camera, no questions asked. My wife and I are now Best Buy fans again, their customer service far exceeds any of the other big electronic stores I've been to.

19. Re: ugh movies suc lately... Apr 9, 2007, 15:35 sliv

Rented "The Prestige" the other day. That one's worth seeing.

2. Grindhouse Apr 6, 2007, 12:02 sliv

They filmed part of Death Proof here in Austin at this little convenience store next door to where I ate breakfast every week. I couldn't believe the amount of equipment they had. They had a sweet black and yellow Charger parked in the front and they put up a fake billboard ad which was posted right next to the store. A friend of mine had the opportunity to go to lunch with Tarantino since they used his parking lot for all of their buses.

edit- speeling

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 12:03.

5. Pet food recall Mar 30, 2007, 22:41 sliv

We switched to Royal Canin www.royalcanin.us about a year ago. Because it's a premium food we pay more per bag, but they have food blends specifically formulated for certain breeds (we have a black lab) and now with the recall list growing, I'm glad made the switch from Nutro.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: garbage. . . Mar 26, 2007, 09:19 sliv

read the article to see the pricing and go to adobe's website for more information on the different bundles

I read the article, thank you very much. The pricing is not for the US and it's the first pricing that I've seen posted which is most likely the reason why it's considered news.

before posting stupid comments here.

I could probably tell you the same thing. Thanks for your advice. . .

4. Re: garbage. . . Mar 25, 2007, 13:29 sliv

if you really were a graphic designer, you should know by now that creative suite IS a bundled package of software.

Sorry, let me restate. Multiple bundled packages. Photoshop CS3 Extended? c'mon. . . They've already made Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements, now apparently they're either stripping down the full versions or there's a big update that would warrant more money.

AS a graphic designer, it's a bit irritating to update ever other year. I have both CS2 and the full Production Studio CS2 and Studio MX 2004, I will be interested to see what the upgrade price will be.

1. garbage. . . Mar 25, 2007, 08:29 sliv

Bundled packages? Looks like Adobe has been taking some advice from Microsoft. This isn't good news for us graphic designers. . .

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: No subject Dec 14, 2006, 16:35 sliv

Unless the Windows name is retired. *doubtful* With technology and the software to run that technology always advancing I'm not sure how a company can claim that it's the last unless it's from the company itself. . .

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. E.T. Jan 25, 2006, 20:45 sliv

I had that game. . . I tried so hard to figure it out and never could. Now I see that it wasn't me after all!

16. White Chamber Dec 25, 2005, 23:10 sliv

man. . . first one I've been able to do without any help. Usually I don't have much time to figure these sort of games out, but it being Christmas there isn't a whole lot going on after noon. Behind the curve and saw Fun with Dick and Jane. I liked it, thought it was funny.

14. Re: Creative Jul 11, 2005, 16:36 sliv

no. . . my original post was not to a) start an argument or b) say "haha! look at you losers with a messed up soundcard!". If you actually looked a little bit closer at my post, it was more about how childish it is to throw a foul-mouthed tantrum over something as silly as a sound card. Does that not sound odd or strange to you?

You can feel bad for me all you want but I frequent this website for both informational purposes by way of the links Blue posts and also by the forums to see if anyone has anything intelligent to say about the links or products posted.

To address your comment about people having the right to express their displeasure about something. First thing, does it actually require the amount of bad language that most people who post this site actually use? It comes off as very unintelligent and whiney. Second, I don't actually hear people "asking" for help, it sounds more like begging for attention by yelling unnecessarily. I guess I'm the sucker since I gave them (or you) attention. I won't make that mistake again. . .

BTW - If you want actual help with a problem, please ask for it, don't think kicking and screaming about hating someone or something will have people come running to your aid.

11. Re: Creative Jul 11, 2005, 15:55 sliv

I usually don't post on this site since it's usually one argument after another. But how sad is it that someone can get so worked up over something so trivial as a sound card? I mean, c'mon, really. . . Is it that big of a deal to get so mad that you actually 'hate' an entire company?

I, personally, have a Audigy 2 and have had Creative sound cards since the original SBPro. And have had no problems whatsoever. Game performance was always good for me and compatibility was far better than the old Turtle Beach card I replaced with a SB16 years ago. I take that back, I remember the one time my card messed up was because I jacked with Windows enough that the drivers got screwed up. That was my own fault, not Creative's.

I feel bad for you that it takes a small press release to get you that upset.

News Comments > Competitions - DOOM 3 at QuakeCon
52. Under my rock. . . Jul 8, 2004, 00:38 sliv

I live about 8 miles away from Grapevine, 8.5 miles to the resort itself and I hadn't heard anything about this. I must be getting old. . . either that or I just don't care.

30. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 00:26 sliv

Well, hello Mr. Ethnocentric. This was not an invitation to preach about how Christianity is sooo much better than all other religions. Take your incorrect assertions and your incorrect ideals and peddle them elsewhere.

Oh, and...

Fuck you and your fucking Bible!

wow. . . it's been a long time since I came back to the forum and what do I find? The same group of close-minded, anti-everything, "I-can't-think-anything-beyond-what-the-'all-knowing'-internet-tells-me-to-think", disrespectful bunch of children that I left here with.

God forbid (oh dear, I said "God" *gasp*) someone actually say they have a religious belief without everyone thinking they're preachin' to the masses. What a bunch of sensitive little cry-babies. Guess I'll have to wait it out another 800 billion kajillion years, maybe "natural selection" will weed out all the jerks in here.

It's funny how people are so quick to jump the guy who has religious beliefs claiming they're intruding on their beliefs, but never actually come out and say what their belief is. What a joke. . .

18. Feb. 29 - Day of the Man Feb 29, 2004, 15:49 sliv

Mostly for the non-single guys, but still embraced by all

Here in Dallas, word is getting around of a new holiday falling on Leap Day, February 29; a holiday I am quickly embracing. The holiday is mostly for the guys who shell out time, money and creativity for that hallmark day of Valentine's year after year. So, our reward for our hard work, besides a satisfied woman, is a day dedicated to men once every four years. General census from the ladies I've talked to claim that it's a fair, recognizable holiday. Sweet!

That's great and all, but here's the catch-22 that I see with this:
Ladies who do not feel they received a Valentine's day equal or greater than their expectations, we as men, can fully expect a very upset girlfriend or wife and, in result, be expected to shell out more money, time and creativity to make them happy making the whole event far more expensive and time-consuming; this is common knowledge. However, if we as men do not receive the attention we think we deserve on this once-in-four-years event, we are expected, by the ladies, to "get over it, it's not that big of a deal. Be a man!" Not fair by any means, but it's common knowledge.

I intend to still try to milk this day for all it's worth, the best I can expect from my girl is to not get in an argument since I can pull the "Day of the Man" card if there's any bit of tension. I believe it's a hard-earned day, it's free so I say take advantage for all it's worth!

Spread the word!!!

171 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo