Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve

Real Name Steve   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sliv
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 22, 2003, 23:07
Total Comments 171 (Novice)
User ID 19104

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2014, 18:20 sliv

When I read the title, a flood of specific parts of games came to mind; and I'm glad to see that a lot of them made it in the list:

- Battletoads speeder level
- Megaman laser level
- TMNT's water level (Help me, Rafael, you are my only hope)
- Earthworm Jim's glass sub
- and pretty much any game that didn't have a save feature or gave you a 37 digit alphanumeric code

What I didn't see make the video and should be the crown-jewel as it was near impossible to play was E.T on the Atari. I was 9 years old and spent months trying to figure out how to play it. I was convinced that I was missing something since game developers couldn't possibly sell a game that made no sense. I read through the manual countless times determined to figure it out.

Years later when I heard that it was the worst gave ever created and that it really doesn't make sense, there was a sense of relief that it wasn't just me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2013, 00:18 sliv

Alice: Madness Returns on Steam. Save 75%

And yet no plans for a Mac version. Used on PS3 is my only hope, though I doubt I'll find it for $4.99.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 27, 2013, 09:55 sliv

We've been streaming-only for a year and a half and have not missed cable at all. Sure I miss ESPN during football season, but 16 games is not worth the price of cable. I do love going into Best Buy and the DirecTV guy walks up asking if I've seen their new rates. I simple ask "is it better than free?" and tell them we couldn't be happier cutting cable.

We're setup with an Elgato TV to record OTA local stations on my Mac automatically exporting to iTunes, bought a couple of AppleTV's and have bought the lifetime license of PlayOn.tv for the PS3.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2013, 22:41 sliv

moment of silence  

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 10, 2013, 15:09 sliv

Are you surprised to see an idiotic comment come out of Cutter?

I have gotten used to see this:
" * REMOVED * "
with his profile pic sitting next to it.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2013, 23:15 sliv

haha... didn't realize the entire city is all hipsters. Apparently after the 15 years I've been here I've been completely oblivious to the demographic here. Do you realize the amount of tech companies that are here? "Aren't worthy of taking your fiber"? Really? We'll let you know what gigabit speeds feels like next year.

BTW "Hipster" is considered a curse word to most people here. With the above comment, "Cutter" is working its way up there now too.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 8, 2013, 16:24 sliv

Used to game a lot, got married, bought a house, had kids, hardly have time to play anymore; gaming simply took a backseat. Kids are too young to watch me play the more mature games on PS3, mostly play the kiddie games on the Wii U with my 4-year-old for about 30 minutes at a time.

I can't speak for everyone (who really can?) but for me, I'm no longer the demo for gaming companies anymore. I have no time for it. I have three jobs, one full-time to make money and the other two are all-time being a husband and daddy. I wish I had time to play and sometimes when the kids are asleep, I'll turn on GOW for an hour of hack n' slash, but that's few and very far between. Still like to peek on Blue's to see anything interesting, but seems like the only news that pertains to me is all the companies I know and love(d) are all closing shop these days. C'est la vie.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 6, 2013, 22:33 sliv

Yep, just because they're saying it's coming to us, I think it will be a long time before we can actually have it available. I am glad to hear it's coming though!  

2. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2013, 21:50 sliv

Incredible, yes. Inedible, yes.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Skylanders reacheas more than $1 Billion Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 sliv

And I think I've contributed what's felt like half of that for our 4-year-old. It's like crack for kids, he can't stop talking about them, begs to go look at the display in every store and his birthday party was Skylander themed. Money pit!  

News Comments > AMD for Sale?
22. Re: AMD for Sale? Nov 14, 2012, 11:26 sliv

I'm wondering if Apple will make a push to buy them. There's already rumors that they may be moving away from Intel to do their own, this would give them a good head start. If there are talks already, their relationship with Intel may already be shaky. Unless they plan to use the AMD chips for MacBook Air and smaller devices as AMD is known for their low-power consumption and keep the Intel chips for their iMac's, MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 12:17 sliv

We know of a dog and cat that died for science, how many died for religion?

That's pretty funny... Religion has done and is doing some terrible things, but you can't paint all religion the same color and if you do, then you are ignorant about religion.

If we use your example, all science is bad. Google "unethical science". Traumatizing children for life is a good thing, right? I guess as long as it's in the name of "science".

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2012, 18:52 sliv

Ricky Gervais sticks it to religion. Nice one.

Oh Ricky, you're so clever! Yeah, cause, it's a fact that all religious people want to shoot children and, like, support other religions who shoot children.

I originally thought that Twitter was useless, but apparently it has this unique ability for people to show just how dumb they really are.

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
47. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 17:35 sliv

It's a job you don't get paid for, and are rarely thanked for. I'm all for having hobbies, and I still play games constantly. I'll just never run a large raiding guild again.

I haven't played an MMO since DAoC and after months of playing it non-stop with my work buddies, it started feeling like a second job. After I did a /played and saw how many hours I spent, I was done.

What's interesting is I've been following Blue's since the old Voodoo Extreme days and am starting to notice that some of the guys who have been around for that long are saying the same. With two kids now, I don't have the time (or energy) to play unending games anymore; comes with age I guess. I still keep my eye out on the gaming industry/community but my gaming money is now going to house, wife and kids these days.

I'm sure I'll be ostracized for this but I sold my PC for a work Mac a couple of years ago and have a Wii and PS3 that my oldest son plays more than I do!

2. Blue's loading up slowwwww! Sep 12, 2012, 23:28 sliv

I saw someone else mention it in a prior thread and haven't gone back and look to see if this has been discussed, but I"m noticing that the site is taking a really long time to load as it's making sure all of the ads are loaded before showing any information at all.

If this is intentional, I can somewhat understand, but the delays seems incredibly long. Using Firebug, I can see it's loading over 240 requests and taking almost 50 seconds to finish loading everything just on this Post Comment page alone. It's taking almost 25 seconds for the content to actually load and I'm running at 18mbps. The longest requests seem to be coming from pixel.adsafeprotected.com and choices.truste.com.

I'm hoping this is just temporary because it's making browsing the site a bit painful.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 13:07 sliv

Mountain Lion is just a minor upgrade since the next OS isn't ready yet. Several things I'm happy about, Notification Center (to replace the buggy Growl), Messages (to replace the buggy beta version), WiFi screen mirroring to the AppleTV and extended iCloud support.

Not trying to over-hype a minimal upgrade, but it is an upgrade I have been waiting for. Probably not for everyone.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2011, Part 24
6. Re: try it like this Jun 24, 2011, 23:53 sliv

You stay classy Space Captain.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2011, 13:20 sliv

I'm not surprised the younger generation thinks Lebron is greater than MJ as they didn't actually watch Jordan play, but to hear the talking heads (and Pippen??) try to build Lebron up solely for ratings for both the sport and themselves, that's disgraceful.

MJ redefined the NBA. Lebron is good, but he's no Jordan.

10. Calvin, Hobbes And Comic Book Biology Jun 4, 2011, 08:52 sliv

When I read the first strip with Calvin being a parent, married to Susie Derkins, my initial reaction was not a good one. Reading all of the high praise comments I was wondering why it didn't sit well with me. I thought maybe I wasn't 'getting it', like a joke that everyone else laughs at but goes completely over my head. I think the author of the article hits it dead-on the head of the nail for me and which is why I didn't like the present-day Calvin strip, and disliked he second one even more.

Several things: I didn't think the drawings were that good, they obviously used a computer to draw it, which is never like actually ink on paper so the genuinity was completely lost. The fact that Watterson has spent years during and after his Calvin years protecting his work should be respected. Reading the forward in "The Complete Calvin & Hobbes" you can hear his exhaustion of having to fight that over the years. And the final thing, they named their daughter "Bacon"? The fact the names 'Calvin' and 'Hobbes' were pulled from philosophers was the inside joke to Watterson and his readers. Nowhere in the strips was that ever referenced so to think that Calvin and wife, Susie, would have thought to continue the trend and name their child 'Bacon' is shallow in regards to the depth the of the strip.

I think what bothers e most is that guys who designed the new strip didn't seem to give the original strip and Watterson the respect they deserve. Both respect for intellectual property that Watterson has voiced for years and respect for the strip for not allowing Calvin to stay forever young.

News Comments > Star Trek Announced
31. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 4, 2011, 08:13 sliv

Geez, I thought the portrayal of Trekkies in Galaxy Quest was a bit harsh. Apparently, they were pretty darn close.

171 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo