Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6803 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 23, 2013, 21:59 Krovven

Netnerd, of I recall correctly...DI launched with a beta version that coop worked. Later on launch day they released a final version of the game that broke coop for most, but it was fixed a day or two later.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 23, 2013, 21:56 Krovven

One thing I want to mention...many reviews state that weapons don't decay as fast as they did in the first game. Personally that hasnt been my experience. Seems to be exactly the same. However you start at lvl 15 with skill points to place, or import an existing DI character that has most/all their points already assigned. This gives the illusion of the weapons having better durability depending on how you allocate those points.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 23, 2013, 21:13 Krovven

I have been playing solo and havent tried coop. I never had a problem with coop in the first game after the first patch. Some people on the Steam Discussions have been having problems with Riptide, others have not.

People on Steam have also debunked TB's claims about the FOV settings, that it's vertical FOV 62.5 which translates to a default of 95 FOV horizontal. Changing it to 90 in the config effectively makes it 130 giving a massive fish-eye effect. There are claims that it does not break gun mechanics as TB states. I haven't tested this myself, yet. So unsure which is accurate.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2013, 21:18.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 23, 2013, 20:52 Krovven

If you liked Dead Island you will like Riptide. Unfortunately it suffers from many of the same problems as the original, but if you played through them the first time, they probably won't bother you much.

Quite a few things have been improved however. One being individual weapon skills are leveled up to provide additional bonuses. This allows the player to focus on specializing the characters weapon bonuses much moreso than the first game. But it isn't required either. Oddly enough, none of the reviews I've read have even mentioned this at all.

Of all the reviews I've read IGN's seems to be the most accurate from the time I've played thus far. Gamespots Riptide review completely contradicts their review of Dead Island multiple times, ie: stating that the combat is still horrible as it was in the first game...yet in their DI review state how wonderful the combat is. Also stating its basically the same game with a few improvements, yet scoring Riptide 30 points lower.

Im typing this on my phone so I'm not going to ramble about details right now. There are problems with Riptide, a few new, most old, but there are a few improvements as well. So again, if you liked the first, you will probably like this one.

Edit: I also got this for $27 (incl. the Survivor DLC and a copy of Risen) on GMG. First game was $37.50 if I recall correctly. Saw a review stating Riptide was $70 on Steam (I can only assume AUS price). So as with any game, don't be stupid about the price you pay.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection
20. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection Apr 16, 2013, 00:00 Krovven

Optional Nickname! wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 23:17:
That CoH 1 multiplayer is being moved to Steam is bad in so many ways, least of all the fact that it violates the supposed TOS I had with THQ. No seriously. So Did Dragon's Age 1 by moving to Origin. Both games now require a new 3rd party service to access your account.

Let's look at this a moment...first Dragon's Age did not move to require Origin if it was purchased on Steam. You download it on Steam, you play it on Steam. No Origin involved. There was a time when DA was no longer available for purchase on Steam, but that has since changed. Even during that time, existing owners of DA could still download it and play it, on Steam. DA does not require Origin.

Second, if CoH did not move to Steamworks, the game and it's multiplayer were DEAD and would have been unplayable for all as of May because Quazal (now owned by Ubisoft) wasn't going to keep the game running. Are you going to tell me that would be a better solution than moving CoH multiplayer to Steam? You already had to log into a third person service (Quazal) to play CoH. Core, and two expansions are now under one one executable instead of 3, and the file system has been fixed so the whole damn game doesn't need to be downloaded every patch.

I'll repeat, the game was dead and buried come May 7th, never to be played again if this wasn't done.

So, why is moving to Steamworks to keep the game alive a bad thing?

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection
7. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection Apr 15, 2013, 12:25 Krovven

Last I checked this was unplayable for AMD cards unless you reverted to Catalyst 10. Game crashed within 2 minutes of loading a game otherwise. So i have yet to be able to actually play the beta. This still the case?

They won't be seeing my money until they get their shit together.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
84. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 13:46 Krovven

Kajetan wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 12:00:
Krovven wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 11:29:
That's irrational and an extremely thin argument. You and a few others are reading into something that isn't there and never was there, simply to justify your irrational whining.
You, sir, are the winner of this discussion. Your interpretation of reality is by far the weirdest shit i've read in this thread. You simple define the facts you have presented yourself as not existant, because these facts dont fit into your world view. Not bad, sir, not bad ...

Crown

Exact same can be said of you buddy. Your interpretation of their so called "DRM-free forever to all" promise is ludicrous. They never promised that, end of discussion.

71. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 11:29 Krovven

Kajetan wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 11:02:
They said: "For PC/Mac/Linux, the game will be available DRM-free from our website."

And they are providing that. To be clear...all backers get at least 2 copies of the game for being a backer. 2 copies for a minimum of $15! "To reiterate, our Backers donít have to choose a DRM-free version of the game or a Steam version of the game. You get both."

Using Steamworks and Steamworkshop integration provides a huge bonus to the future of this game that wasn't available before. Anyone that sees this as a bad thing, in my opinion, is a moron. So for the very few people that do have a problem with it, I couldn't care less.

There is no "Only for backers".

They said: "We are also looking into a Steam release ..."

"Also" as in "optional" and not "We are releasing the game only for backers drm-free on our website and everyone else has to buy it via Steam"

Considering the Kickstarter only refers to what backers get, that logically, should be enough. No promises were ever made about the game always being available completely DRM-free to people that didn't back the Kickstarter. You say they didn't specifically state it was for backers only, and to that I say, they didn't specifically state it was going to extend to non-backers as well. Backers that still feel slighted can get a refund.

And you call people "idiots" because they actually read AND understand what was said during the Kickstarter campaign? You're a funny guy ...

Certainly do. You are claiming foul based on they didn't specifically state "Only for backers". That's irrational and an extremely thin argument. You and a few others are reading into something that isn't there and never was there, simply to justify your irrational whining.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2013, 11:36.

67. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 10:41 Krovven

Kajetan wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 10:21:
Where did it say that DRM free was only for backers? Please enlighten me, oh wise one!

From the FAQ on their Kickstarter page.

How will the game be distributed when it's released to the public? What about DRM-free?
For mobile tablets, Shadowrun Returns will be available via iTunes, Android Marketplace, and the Amazon Android marketplace. For PC/Mac/Linux, the game will be available DRM-free from our website. We are also looking into a Steam release (and potentially Humble Bundle as well).

Last updated: Monday Apr 23, 6:39pm EDT

What type of account system/DRM can we expect?
While the details are still being worked out, we hate draconian DRM as much as the next guy. We expect there will be an account system but it would be primarily used to enable the social elements of the game like mission and character sharing--not to restrict access to the game itself.

Last updated: Monday Apr 23, 6:38pm EDT

At no point did they say the game would be completely DRM free forever either. They quite explicitly stated there would be at the very least an account based system. Note the dates on their FAQ answers, that's 2012. They hid nothing, they lied about nothing.

As usual this amounts to idiots that can't read and are complaining for the sake of complaining.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Revealed
25. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Revealed Apr 9, 2013, 20:28 Krovven

Overon wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 20:10:
I suspect, based on nothing concrete, that taking the new batman out of rocksteady's hands was more to do with lowest bidder winning the development bid.

Right...that's why the rumor has it that Rocksteady is working on another game for Warner. Another Batman game, possibly even a Justice League game, possibly to tie in with the JC movie they are working on.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
17. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:54 Krovven

Ahh that makes more sense. In their comments on the Kickstarter page, they were leaving out the record was limited to the video game category.

Looking forward to Torment, especially now that they have shown us just a taste. Now I really need to finish Planescape Torment before this comes out. I have so many unfinished RPG's.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Concludes
4. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 22:09 Krovven

A record that will be broken in 7 days. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project  

News Comments > Red Orchestra OS X Edition & Maps Released; Free RO2 Weekend Underway
10. Re: Red Orchestra 2 OS X Edition & Maps Released; Free Weekend Underway Apr 5, 2013, 18:10 Krovven

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 08:18:
I am still having the this issue with RO2, that I have no idea who is on my team and who is the enemy? I am sure I am a n00b but man last night I got into a game and kept aiming at people and not shooting them because I wasn't sure if they are on my team or not.
I usually just see where my team mates run when I spawn and shoot in the general direction where they shoot
I should probably play this more often and I would know better.

I had the same problem in the small amount of time I've played RO2. Just look at your teammates when you spawn, so you know what they look like. Once you get an idea on where they are coming from during the game, what buildings are being attacked, etc...you should be able to figure it out.

News Comments > SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers?
30. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 18:25 Krovven

There is more than one video out there with major gameplay differences, showing the labs and other story stuff.

I'd still like to know the whole story and the truth about what happened and by who. Doubt we'll ever get it though. But from what I can piece together, Gearbox had done some work, passed it over to TimeGate and they fucked it all up. Multiplayer (and Bug Hunt) was done by Nerve and is quite good. The post-release patch work Gearbox has done, has also been good.

After the 4gig patch a couple weeks ago, the game looks a lot better and closer to that of these videos.

Bug Hunt is a blast, and would recommend people give it a shot if the game (and DLC) hits a price point they are comfortable with. Bug Hunt is basically the gameplay of Nazi Zombies from the CoD games.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC and Patch Released
22. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC and Patch Released Apr 3, 2013, 18:10 Krovven

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:16:
If Gearbox was a restaurant or ice cream shop or whatever place that sells food as rotten as A:CM they'd be closed by the health department. There's the analogy you're looking for.

So is this a person that bought and played ACM, has played it post patch, has played Bug Hunt with friends? Do you have any hands-on experience with the game? I highly doubt it.

As with most people that continue to talk about how bad ACM is, they have never even played it, or have not played it post patch. The games visuals and Ai that everyone ripped to shit, are far better than they were at launch. While the campaign story is weak and doesn't make a lot of sense, it's still a solid jaunt coop shooter best played with other people on the hardest difficulty.

Bug Hunt, is the first DLC released and it's excellent. 3 of us that took the chance on ACM, only to be largely be disappointed, have sunk many hours into the game playing Bug Hunt. Multiplayer is also solid, Aliens control well, but sadly the Matchmaking system sucks balls and even at launch when there were people playing, it was impossible to find a game.

AvP2010 averages 66 on Metacritic. ACM averages 44. AvP2010 was fucking awful, unplayable in many ways, the campaigns were worse than ACM and was abandoned after release. Swap the score averages and things will be a bit more accurate. With Bug Hunt, I'd even bump ACM's score over the 70 mark.

With Gearbox still committed to supporting ACM post release, the game has already improved greatly. I just hope maybe some free multiplayer weekends with sales, some more people will give the coop and multiplayer a shot.

I bought BL2 at launch, skipped the DLC...and while it was better than Borderlands in many ways...I still find it quite dull and have only put 8 hours more into BL2 than I have ACM. And quite frankly, I have more fun in ACM coop than I do BL2 coop.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2013, 18:16.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
80. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 07:34 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 07:22:

I don't know that 30 minutes of gameplay and a few minor quibbles would cause me to drastically lower my opinion of an otherwise great product but you can make that...claim if you like. The "irony" is thats the kind of thing you stomp your feet and wail at other people about doing here. If you actually read the posts in the threads here, you'll find the majority are positive but have listed specific complaints, I don't see any hypocrisy going on. For example people have cited aspects about the gameplay, the save system, technical issues, etc.

The BoosNews stuff is just LOL. Stop bein so durned positive guys!!

Shocker, Verno trying to antagonize me again.

They were initial impressions. I stated as such. My comments on the lack of graphical features, was to point out that nobody had even mentioned them yet. Which I found to be rather amusing considering how many folks around here rip into everything because they don't have those features.

Would you care to contradict that the game has no dynamic lighting, no physics, no volumetric smoke, no mirror reflections, horrible breaking glass? Good luck, cus you can't. They were just observations. I play plenty of games that don't have those features. But considering the love this game is getting, and nobody had mentioned it...it was worth mentioning.

I'm not hating on the game because of the lack of graphical features. I've even said to friends recently, I don't care if games have pre-baked lighting if they make good use of it and the game is good. Which this game does make good use of it. I also stated I could not comment too much on the gameplay as I had only played for 30min. But there are things obviously lacking. You have a problem with me posting initial impressions, that people asked for? Too fucking bad.

So far, I still don't think it's a 95% game. As I play more that may go up from my thoughts on it being an 80% game. I also don't think the original Bioshock was a 95% game either.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I didn't think Aliens Colonial Marines was a 30% game, especially when compared to the last AvP game which averaged 65% and I found to be a far far worse (and more importantly un-fun) game than ACM.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 07:43.

79. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 07:24 Krovven

I've played some more and I have to admit the game is getting better. Still not a fan of the whole religious theme.

Equipable gear with bonus effects (new), Vigors (spells) have a primary and alt ability (new). The alt ability so far is just a trap form of the primary attack. There are upgrades in the vending machines. As someone mentioned already though, there doesn't seem to be weapon upgrades.

Control on the rails is solid. I was a little worried about this.

Lots of little things to praise, but also lots of little things to complain about too. Lack of modern graphical features aside, the game looks great. The artists did an amazing job.

77. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 05:41 Krovven

Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 04:41:
Well, when you are designing for the lowest common denominator with 500 megs of ram and obsolete graphics and CPU, that kinda thing happens.

These graphics features have also been around for YEARS now and there are console games that DO have all or some of these graphics features.

And my point was more about the love this game is getting from PC players, when it's missing many graphical features compared to other games while using an engine that is capable of those features, has dumbed down game mechanics from Bioshock (some folks here said the mechanics in Bioshock were dumbed down)...yet people still singing it's praises.

I haven't played far enough yet to get a sense of the game as a whole, I haven't even got to Elizabeth yet. These are all things I noticed within the first 30 minutes of play. My initial perception of the game is more of an 80% game than a 95% game. I'm not saying the game is bad by any stretch. I'm merely pointing out the irony and hypocrisy that is so prevalent around here.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 05:58.

News Comments > Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping
25. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 05:22 Krovven

Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 03:31:
Does the fact that Kevin used mostly social engineering for his exploits mean that people don't call him a hacker?

Assuming you are talking about Mitnick, he was a hacker. He hacked into networks, stole personal information, exploited it and profited from it to the detriment of thousands of people. He continued to do it while running from the law. He was tried and convicted for hacking into a network and stealing software, not for social engineering.

People that cheat in games don't goto jail. People that hack servers to steal credit card and personal information, goto jail.

As for the rollback policy, it's the same for WoW, difference is that WoW's items are Bind on Equip. This isn't a situation where people are duping items at will and bringing thousands upon thousands of duplicate items into the game. A small number of people are submitting for compromised account restoration multiple times and abusing Blizzards policy.

But the point is, the online only requirement for D3 HAS stopped hacks and cheats. I've never seen anyone with duped items, god mode, etc. but I've seen them in just about every single other game I play online. As far as the effectiveness of the system, the account restoration problem is a minor issue that has little impact on the game, certainly nowhere near the scale of D2 duping and won't at all anymore.

My only issue with the change to make these items BoA on account restoration is that legit claims are hurt by it. I'd rather see Blizzard investigate on their end first, users with repeated claims.

Maybe allow one full account restoration. If they make the claim a second time within say 3-6 months, lock the account until they attach an Authenticator to the account. If they keep making the compromised account claim even with an Authenticator...ban them.

Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 03:31:
They did!
For consoles

I've even considered D3 for my PS3...but two things are going to prevent me from buying it for PS3. They aren't using Bnet, so I can't use my existing characters and the shared, non-instanced loot. I've had mostly great experiences playing with random people on Bnet...that would be gone instantly if loot drops were shared.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 05:37.

6803 Comments. 341 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo