Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 7447 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2015, 13:41 Krovven

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 13:10:
Verno wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:11:
The article makes some good points but doesn't really propose any real solutions. The volume alone makes Greenlight tedious for everyone involved but curating content by staff had its own set of complaints from devs/users. Perhaps some sort of hybrid system is best, I don't know.

Ya I felt the same way about it. If something isn't working, complaining about it is fine if you also offer some possible solutions/alternatives.

Maybe they don't have any, but then I probably wouldn't complain about something I can't think of a way to do better.

Since when do articles require the writer to have solutions to the problems they write about? That's not their job, nor should it be.

The main point of the article was to point out that Valve stated a long time ago they wanted to change it and have neither done or said anything about it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2015, 13:38 Krovven

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 07:51:
Krovven wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 01:26:
Since when is that considered a bad thing?
Since they decided to: Not follow the law, lie, run smear campaigns, refused to operate under any form of disclosure, and so on

I'm sorry. What law would that be? As for the rest, you can say all those things but it doesn't make them true. Post facts.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2015, 01:26 Krovven

jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 18:32:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 18:26:
Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 18:12:
Not all gamers are you. Which is why kotaku is having record unique views and why it's probably the most popular game news site.
Right, they're the most popular "casual" game site. And their unique views are generated by round-robin cross-linking articles from their child sites, which gives them lots of unique impressions. That of course isn't helping them, much like it's not helping Gawker who is running around looking for venture capitalists to give them more money.

So there's a lot of crossover between Kotaku and Jezebel?

Are people seriously bitching about Kotaku being an aggregate site on forums for an aggregate site?

Kotaku is a blog first, gaming culture site second. But a big one. They have staff writers. They also publish freelancer stuff.

They are still an aggregate site that posts stories linking to other sites (just like Blues). And yes, they utilize their Gawker network and cross post stories. Since when is that considered a bad thing?

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
22. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 01:16 Krovven

siapnar wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 23:51:
This isn't as far along as the video would initially have you believe.

Well if you actually listened to the video and read the info on Kickstarter, they are starting from scratch. This isn't a ways along in development and they are getting money to finish it.

The video is also clearly a mock up and not gameplay.

I won't be going in on the Kickstarter for several reasons but I will be keeping an eye on this one and maybe get it sometime after release depending on how it turns out.

First and foremost, it's multiplayer only (for now). I'd have to be able to try it first with it being MP only. It seems like they have given it the CoD treatment of requiring unlocks and I'm sure there will be microtransaction for a game you pay for. Speaking of which, they state that it's going to be $50 retail. Are you kidding me? Uhhm no, just no. Even at $25 for the cheapest copy on Kickstarter (now sold out), that was still too much for this.

They never mentioned anything about micro-transactions...but the design they describe just seems to be ripe for it.

Okay, let’s get real. Yep, we’re booting this development from scratch. There’s a lot that can go wrong between funding and delivery of the game we’re promising. We could run dry on funds, lose key people, mistake our original goals, and/or just not deliver the level of quality we imagined.

Not really something you want to be putting as a disclaimer at the bottom of your pitch. But that's just me. This shows lack of confidence on their part and gives them an out for when they don't deliver on their pitch or add micro-transactions or go free-2-play later.

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
7. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 10, 2015, 19:23 Krovven

ViRGE wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 19:01:
Considering Interplay still owns the IP, this project leaves me uneasy. No one can screw things up like Interplay can, and I hardly want to see them rewarded for being the punks that they are.

Well he says in the video "We've got the name". To me this implies they licensed the use of it.

And 5 seconds of looking at the comments on the Kickstarter confirms this.

Creator Descendent Studios about 2 hours ago
1. We have the license
2. VR annoucement is coming
3. SIngle player is on roadmap - but planned for after MP, unless we hit it as a stretch goal
4. Scrip and Pals can be earned in match
WM

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2015, 12:41 Krovven

Bosanac wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 12:36:
Nothing they say should ever be given any amount of credit or thought towards.

Just like your post and the majority of user comments here.

So with you two idiots thinking you are too cool...what exactly is wrong about the article? Nothing. Everything is correct.

Grow the fuck up.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
53. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 23:39 Krovven

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 22:47:
Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 21:53:
Exactly what I have trying to drive into these guys heads. Barbs suck, period! Solo dont mean shit when it comes to this games end game content.
Oh, that's right. I forgot we decided to let you be the arbiter of the correct way to play games. If we don't play them like you do, we are doing it wrong. Sorry 'bout that... carry on. Confused

Ya indeed. Dark, I'm sure there are thousands of people on the solo class leaderboards that would be happy to tell you that you are full of shit.

End-game doesn't hinge on solo or 4 player rifts. It hinges on them all, solo, 2, 3, and 4 player; non-seasonal and seasonal, normal and hardcore...leaderboards for them all.

Last I checked there wasn't something that said if you aren't in a 4 player group that you are playing it wrong.

51. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 22:13 Krovven

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 21:53:
Krovven wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 21:49:
Even better you can look at the actual rankings on battle.net.

There isn't a single Barb in any of the top 100 groups 4 player groups. I didn't look beyond that but I'm sure that goes on for awhile down the list.

Barbarians suck in high end GR groups. They do ok solo.

They need to be tweaked to do better in groups.

Not sure why some of you are arguing over facts.

Exactly what I have trying to drive into these guys heads. Barbs suck, period! Solo dont mean shit when it comes to this games end game content.

Holy fuck is all you see is black and white? Barbs do not suck. They do fine solo. They are fine in GR up to a certain point. They do not "suck". They just need to be tweaked to do better in 40+ groups.

49. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 21:49 Krovven

Even better you can look at the actual rankings on battle.net.

There isn't a single Barb in any of the top 100 groups 4 player groups. I didn't look beyond that but I'm sure that goes on for awhile down the list.

Barbarians suck in high end GR groups. They do ok solo.

They need to be tweaked to do better in groups.

Not sure why some of you are arguing over facts.

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
40. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 22:09 Krovven

Alamar wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 20:11:
Krovven wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 18:33:
Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 16:43:
not at launch, at least not that I've seen. most games launch with the same price on all platforms/stores.

Gotta disagree with that. Most games on PC that offer a digital preorder, generally offer a discount. GMG always has voucher codes available.

If you can't find a discounted digital preorder for PC versus the same game as on other platforms at release, then you are doing it wrong.

Coupons are another factor, which I assume he's taking into consideration. The point is both <insert new game> come out at 59.99 on Steam, and 59.99 on GMG... GMG is the obvious choice for anything available there, because of their near-constant 20%+ coupons, but the game is still listed at 59.99, and outside of GMG, all the other sites have it at that rate for months.

Thought we were talking generalities not a specific game. Most games will have a preorder discount or a launch discount.

36. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 18:33 Krovven

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 16:43:
not at launch, at least not that I've seen. most games launch with the same price on all platforms/stores.

Gotta disagree with that. Most games on PC that offer a digital preorder, generally offer a discount. GMG always has voucher codes available.

If you can't find a discounted digital preorder for PC versus the same game as on other platforms at release, then you are doing it wrong.

35. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 18:29 Krovven

WaltC wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 17:14:
where they just might do much better than on Steam (For instance, DRM-less at Gog, etc.)

LOL, what fantasy world are you in?

34. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 18:26 Krovven

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 16:52:

1) The bandwidth cost of a game, even if I download it 100 times, costs literally pennies. The one thing I've taken from the recent FCC title ruling is that upon close examination, the ISPs make over %99 profit on their internet sales. That's including all their own costs, employees, marketing, infrastructure. %99+ profit. I think that %30 of a $60 game is an outrageous cost for the bandwidth used.

If it's that easy and that cheap, go ahead and show us how it's done.

News Comments > Diablo III CDR Changes to End Perma-Immunity
11. Re: Diablo III CDR Changes to End Perma-Immunity Mar 4, 2015, 16:26 Krovven

Fion wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 15:39:
Wow, CDR will now begin when a skill effect ends? That doesn't just remove the possibility of perma-immunity it severely nerfs a lot of stuff in the game, most notably perhaps the Wand of Woh, which relies heavily on CDR to put out decent dps.

READ...

we’ll be applying this philosophy to the following immunity skills.

Spirit Walk
Serenity
Smoke Screen
Laws of Hope – Stop Time

News Comments > Diablo III CDR Changes to End Perma-Immunity
7. Re: Diablo III CDR Changes to End Perma-Immunity Mar 4, 2015, 14:26 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 13:17:
Darks wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 12:07:
So, in other-words they want to cripple the game even more by adding higher end cool-downs that will evidently cause players to die more often. I can just hear my brother now bitching about this one.

If it is just those skills that offer complete invulnerability, I don't see any issue with this. It's not like they're applying it to Akarat's Champion, and completely fucking over the majority of Crusader builds.

Exactly. As soon as I started reading the news I was pissed off, but as I read the rest of it, this is fine. If an effect lasts 4 seconds, and the default cooldown time has been reduced by 4 seconds, there is essentially no difference except your CDR won't effect those 4 seconds and prevents people from becoming perma invulnerable.

News Comments > Into the Black
18. Re: Into the Black Mar 3, 2015, 18:42 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 09:19:
I have no problem with him ignoring canon when it was so poorly done.

I'm reluctantly excited about this. But my issue is the constant flip flopping from Blom on whether this will throw out 3 & 4 or not. First it was, then it wasn't, now it's comfirmed Beihn has been approached. So which is it?

They better not shoehorn a story between 2 & 3 that Ripley and Bishop conveniently forgot about in 3.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2015, 18:25 Krovven

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 16:52:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 14:21:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 14:08:
Hey if they get money or not, whatevahs.

But you cannot deny they were a weasel doing this back in the day. They were touring with Spirit and this is a song of theirs. Later STH comes out and you can't say they took a part of their melody and we aren't talking a standard rock n roll melody, but a very unique one.

That happened, imo no question, pretty low of them, unless they can prove they were given permission, then all is good in LedLand.

It's not even the same melody. It's a similar chord progression, but not the same. Page was probably inspired by it and wanted to do something similar. That happens all the time. Suing over it almost half a century later is retarded.

Yeah I don't care about the lawsuit, but he took it from them, it is very close, anyone who would hear this would immediately think Stair Way.

Doesn't matter if it's close. It's not exactly the same. There are literally thousands of songs with little bits here and there that sound similar to other songs.

But forgetting all that, this is an obvious cash grab from the family. If they were gonna sue, it should have been 40 years ago and when the dude was alive.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced
26. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 3, 2015, 00:49 Krovven

Xero wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 11:21:
BF3 Premium pissed me off. BF4 and all it's DLCs and Premium crap pissed me off worse. I'm done with all future BF games officially.

Ditto, except I learned my lesson from BF3. Didn't buy BF4. I'm having a hard time even being interested in the upcoming Battlefront game from DICE...because I know it will be a buggy mess filled with overpriced DLC.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 1, 2015, 21:11 Krovven

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 20:44:
No, there are actually huge bugs. Some that were not even part of HW1 (But HW1 had some pretty epic bugs)

That may be so, but in the first 8 missions and not referring to multiplayer, I've only seen relatively minor bugs. By minor meaning they don't prevent me from playing the game. I have read of other issues you have described, but haven't experienced them myself yet. I also haven't really looked in the last couple of days to see what else has popped up.

Also a lot of things people are posting as bugs on the forums, are actually the variations in the Ai adapting to the size of your fleet each mission.

You can still stall the entire game if you salvage corvette the 3 attacking assault frigates or have all 6 cryo things survive. In the first mission.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stall" as capturing those frigates is what you are expected to do, to quickly bolster the firepower of your fleet. And then capturing the other Frigates that attack the Cryo chambers again varies in number depending on the game adapting to the size of your fleet. And you are expected to destroy and capture at least one of those attacking frigates.

And I have completed the mission saving all 6 Cryo chambers.

Edi: Oh you mean if you capture all Frigates (whether it be 2 or 8) attacking the Cry chambers, the mission script breaks? I'll have to try that.

If you use salvage corvettes to capture the 2nd carrier you face you have no build menu on it

This one I read about, but didn't try myself yet.

In the ship graveyard, if you rush to destroy the hyperspace gates before the hound carries your ship through, you can get your ship eternally stuck (in that mission) (This also breaks mission 14)

I could be mistaken, but I think this was a bug in the original too. I have also read other problems related to scripting breaking, and have experienced one myself with using the auto-save files.

if you have a construction going when you have 100 credits, that costs 100 credits, and you hyperspace before it finishes, it aborts, and you end up with 99 credits. Explain to me how that even makes sense ,)

LOL. Service charge!

Junkyard dog is not immortal but if you get it stuck, you never get your ship back and you can no longer attack it also ships it steals are not "powered down" but actually attack you.

Haven't got far enough to experience this. But another thing I have noticed is enemy ships will destroy units you have just completed building, before they can even defend themselves. ie: they aren't even making it to the hangar door and never get seen.

The remake is very nice though. Some good art updates. The GUI though... looks really really ugly.

I don't mind the Ui, but I don't really use it much. I like the Build/Research menu's. But I just use Show All (wish it would remember that). I know most of the hotkeys from playing the original, so I don't use the Ui for much else. And you can always hide the Ui.

And yes the game is gorgeous. I do miss some of the way the voices used to sound though.

I haven't even loaded Classic...does it have the same as the Remastered does?

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2015, 21:19.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 1, 2015, 20:23 Krovven

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 17:33:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 15:46:
Wow, HWRC leads the pack? I find that somewhat hard to believe, although I loved the originals and the Remastered versions are very good indeed.

Nice to see Hotline Miami 2 on there also, although people should be buying it off GoG.

I'm embarrassed to say I preordered HWRC, something I haven't done in literally ten years. Embarassed

But I'm loving it, so money well-spent!

It's great,but there are a lot of little bugs and balancing issues in the campaign. I've stopped playing and waiting to see what the first patch brings.

In the old game you could create more than 2 units at a time from multiple ship categories. Not being able to make more than 2 units at a time significantly impacts your ability to combat the masses of enemy forces in missions like 7 & 8 and causes major balance issues.

Researching upgrades never used to cost RU's. You spent the RU's on your Research Pods that allowed you to research faster. Now, you have to pay for each research upgrade, which limits how many units you are able to produce in a mission even further.

There is a bug preventing you from zooming in closer to ships...which means for units like Collectors you cant see how many RU's they are holding.

Zooming in and out also behaves weirdly. It seems to be much slower zooming out than in and may even have some sort of acceleration. It's annoying as hell.

You can't skip the in-mission cutscenes with the Spacebar (when the narrator is talking to you) like you could in the first game. Once you've been told them and you reload, you don't need them again and it can save you valuable time in some of the missions (like going through the Asteroid field).

There are tons of other bugs which you can see posts about on the various Steam and Gearbox forums.

Many of these problems won't even be noticeable to new players. But if you know the old game, or have it installed to compare too, there are many things making this not as good as the original.

I will say however that there are plenty of good updates to the game as well. Some of the UI additions like the Info and Build tabs in the upper left corner are handy.

7447 Comments. 373 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo