Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6832 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2013, 16:51 Krovven

Nvm, became clear the list was a joke as I read further on.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
14. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 19:22 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:19:
Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:07:
That doesn't mean they have stopped doing it themselves as well Dev. As already said by someone below...plenty of other indie games get through without going through Greenlight.
No not yet, but I think they've been wanting it to At least for not yet on steam devs. Given that the text on their greenlight page says:
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/
Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?
Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:23:
Get enough positive exposure and Valve will see the opportunity for a business relationship.
Yes, but fun and interesting rank far higher as motivators for valve employees than profitable business relationships, or really just about anything.

That means nothing when they are still publishing games without going through Greenlight. I'm sure there are plenty of factors involved. Have the devs self published on Steam before? Has the Publisher published on Steam before? How did those games do? Were the pubs/devs a pain in the ass to deal with?

My understanding as a dev/pub, is once you are in, you have a web portal to manage everything with Steam. Would seem kind of silly to tell those people they can't publish their next game using the tools they already have access to.

Plucking FAQ entries doesn't tell us the whole story. And to my knowledge no existing Publishers have had to put their games through Greenlight.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2013, 19:10 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:56:
BitWraith wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 10:00:
Semi-Accurate - sounds like a Kotaku story to me.

Zactly.
They say the lowest sale was 1.25, but then a little further down say Just Cause was 27 cents. Nice job kraptaco!

Kotaku didn't create the graphic. "Redditor tallkido has put together a nifty infographic"

And it says right at the top of the graphic that the stats are for main page sales only. Just Cause wasn't a main page sale. JC was mentioned in the goofs section.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released
39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 06:05 Krovven

Queen was mass producing worker aliens. Strung up to take the pressure off her body. Even the tube could be moved around to place eggs in different locations. The egg the Queen deliberately planted for Ripley was a Queen making egg.

Anyways, whole point was that the game was already working with what was already broken by the Alien 3 writers.

And again, all you are doing is saying "they should have done this instead". Anybody can do that. I could sit here and list off a dozen possibilities for Alien stories they could have done. It all means nothing as that's not what they did do and went another direction with it again with 4, AvP movies and then Prometheus. So the one thing they have been consistent about is being inconsistent with their mythology and film style.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 06:11.

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:08 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:50:
Didn't the queen tear off her entire egg laying apparatus before going after Ripley, well before she was anywhere near the dropship?

It's another common question and adds to how the egg got there in the first place. Only real answer is, we don't know if a Queen can lay eggs without the whole apparatus. So suspension of disbelief says it's possible.

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:05 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:47:
Aliens had already advanced it past the monster film stage. It established additional character shadings for Ripley. It showed Weyland-Yutani moving their agenda forward. Instead of one alien there was a colony of them -- and a queen. Instead of an unarmed crew trying to survive with materials at hand it was an armed military squad.

So how did the third movie move things further forward? Kind of didn't.

People complain that films, games, and tv shows go off in the wrong direction and want things to "go back to their roots" all the time. All you are doing is suggesting they follow the path of the second movie instead of going the direction they did. Both Alien and Aliens were different styles of film and succeeded on their own merits. Nobody remembers this, but there were a lot of hardcore Alien fans that were not happy with the departure from the style of the first film.

It's really easy to sit back after the fact and say they should have gone the other way and made the obvious sequel stylistically to Aliens. But when writing, sometimes the last thing you want to do is the obvious. Did we really want to watch the same 3 characters go through the exact same situation again, doing the exact same things? It's a trap that is really easy to write for and hasn't worked out for a lot of movie sequels.

So yes, I think it was brave to not just do the obvious. Unfortunately it didn't work out so well. And who knows how it would have been if Fox had just let Fincher make the movie without interference. But as for the writing, it wasn't Fincher and it was people that had been involved with the Aliens story.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 05:10.

31. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 04:41 Krovven

InBlack wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:30:
Well the queen didnt lay the egg(s) in the drop pod, Im guessing that she laid the egg(s) somewhere in the drop shuttle struts. The eggs hatched and the facehuggers managed to get into the drop pod (along with the cryochambers). There were two, one for Ripley and obviously one for the doberman/cow (depending on which version you watched).

There was a shot of an egg in the escape pod in Aliens 3. Edit: now that I think about it, the egg could have been on the Sulaco in that opening scene. Basically the writers along the way, starting with Alien 3 have totally messed up the continuity of their own IP.

And I thought it was implied it was the same facehugger that impregnated Ripley, as she did not have the facehugger on her when they pulled her from the crash.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 04:47.

28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 04:22 Krovven

InBlack wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 03:26:
Prez wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 23:16:
About Alien 3: 20 years on and I'm still asking how that fucking alien pod got on the Sulaco...

The Queen brought it along, or rather she probably laid it somewhere in the shuttle before the big boss battle at the end of Aliens (that sounds fucking corny as hell now that Ive read it aloud)

I dont get the hate for A3. I really dont. Most of it is completely sentimental bullshit hate thats got everything to do with Hicks and Newt dying off and nothing at all to do with the merits of the movie itself. I thought A3 was just as brilliant as the first two films.

The egg was silly, as it made no sense as to how it got there. In Aliens the Queen hitched a ride on the drop ship and upon boarding the Sulaco the Queen never left the hanger. And how exactly would the Queen even fit into the escape pod? It was tiny.

I played and finished the Stasis Interrupted DLC tonight and it was quite good. Better than the main game campaign. It attempts to explain the Hicks story and is almost plausible, aside from a few bumps.

ACM DLC spoiler text for the Hicks explanation:
According to the DLC, when Hicks was taken out of his tube there as a fight that ended up with a WeyYu soldier putting a Marine from the into Hicks tube.

Ripley already had the facehugger on her when the people were taking Hicks out. So no egg on the escape pod as in Aliens 3. A stray bullet shattered her tube glass, hitting the Facehugger and dropping acid on the pod and ship floor. This set off the alarm, pulling the cryo tubes into the escape pod and ejecting them.

So, the game is breaking what was already broken at the start of Alien 3. Aside from the whole egg thing at the start, I have always liked Alien 3, and even more after the work print cut. I thought it was a brave choice to kill off Hicks and Newt so they weren't trapped into telling a story about the 3 of them and make something very different. It could have been a lot better...but why would Fox choose to put a first time director in the seat of Aliens 3? David Fincher has done some great movies since then. But putting a first time director on that was a dumb decision.

Aliens 4...Joss Whedon says everything he wrote was interpreted all wrong and not how he envisioned it when it was written. I really liked City of Lost Children but it isn't known for it's great performances or it's story structure. I haven't really had interest in Jean-Pierre Jeunet's other films to make a further comparison.
It would be interesting to see a Joss Whedon made Aliens 4.

Between Aliens 4, AvP, AvP2, Prometheus, ACM and I'll even throw in Predators (Predator 2 was passable for the era)...the problem is Fox. They have seriously fucked up the entire Alien and related franchises.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 04:32.

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
10. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 02:07 Krovven

That doesn't mean they have stopped doing it themselves as well Dev. As already said by someone below...plenty of other indie games get through without going through Greenlight.

I've checked Greenlight just a few times and 99% of the crap submitted on Greenlight is garbage. And it was even worse before they put in the cost of submission.

I don't know about indies that had been published on Steam before and have now had to go through Greenlight. I'd be more curious to look at them on a case by case basis and see what the game(s) was. But if they aren't getting the votes to get them through on Greenlight...then I think the answer is kinda obvious.

I do think they need to separate completed games from incomplete and concept stage games. Seems ridiculous to put through an indie title that has barely started and won't even see a release for 1-2 years.

News Comments > StarCraft II Birthday Party
16. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:28 Krovven

MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:26:
If you were just worried about losing you may want to give it a go.

LOL. I have played it, I can play it...I just don't like it. Company of Heroes is more my style for MP PvP. However, I don't play that much either. RTS multiplayer is on the bottom of my priority list when it comes to games.

13. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:12 Krovven

MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:09:
SC2 is about the multiplayer.

Actually that's not all it's about. People like different things. Personally I have zero interest in the manic clickfest Starcraft multiplayer is.

12. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:10 Krovven

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:50:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:42:
MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 09:53:
It is your loss.

No, it really isn't. It's a formulaic retread of a game you already bought and paid for more than a decade ago. It isn't a good story nor is it even a decent continuation of the original storyline.

To be clear, you've never played and enjoyed 2 games of the same genre? You're such a snowflake.

Yea I do not get the mentality of "everything must be unique and ground breaking for it to be any good". It makes no sense and seems to me you'd go through life being pretty miserable with that expectation.

10. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:07 Krovven

Xero wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 12:34:
3rd year anniversary and we still don't have the entire game, lol.

Ignorant troll comment.

Both WoL and HoS have more missions in each game than the original Starcraft had. All 3 races have been available in the game for multiplayer and modding since WoL original release. The HoS campaign isn't even a copy paste of the level up/skills structure of WoL.

Then there is Arcade mode, which has all the mods, solo, coop and multiplayer...and so many good ones! Some created by Blizzard. I don't play the game nearly as much as I would like to. I bounce from games leaving them incomplete all the time. I finished WoL and halfway through another playthrough. And I'm about 3/4 of the way through HoS. Friends and I load up coop Arcade mods every now and then and it's great.

I don't even touch the PvP and bought both games at full price and I don't regret it at all. I can see $80 buy-in price being a little steep for someone, but when they go on sale, it should be a must buy. Unless of course you never liked the original Starcraft.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
7. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 22, 2013, 13:58 Krovven

Verno wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 13:39:
I still don't think her character looks that much like Ellen Page but everyone else swears its true so I guess I'm just weird.

They redesigned her face because she looked even more like Ellen Page before. http://www.geekosystem.com/ellen-page-last-of-us/
The thing that people keep dismissing is that Ellie looks like a young Ashley Johnson with straight brown hair. But Ellen in her late teens/early twenties has a similar face to young teen Ashley.

As a fan of Deadwood, I was happy to see W. Earl Brown on the cast list.

News Comments > On Sale
21. Re: On Sale Jul 22, 2013, 13:34 Krovven

Ouch, that's gonna upset a few people. Giana Sisters is on the Daily Deal sale for cheaper than it was during the Summer Sale.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
5. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 22, 2013, 13:32 Krovven

Verno wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 13:05:
I didn't bother using the Listen ability since it feels too much like cheating and that seems to have prepared me well for a Survivor run in my quest for the platinum trophy.

If I had a surround sound system and could crank it up (which would probably freak the shit out of me, and I don't spook easily) I could play without the Listen ability. Otherwise, I don't think I'd enjoy trying without it.

Verno wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 13:05:
Some of those split second, cut to black scenes are genuinely horrifying. Ellie's death sequences are especially gruesome because you have a lot of attachment there.

Indeed, I was shocked at some of the death scenes. Tomb Raider has some shocking death scenes, but they were also usually somewhat comical. The Last Of Us death scenes are just brutal.

It still tickles me that the little girl from Growing Pains plays Ellie

News Comments > Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year?
41. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 22, 2013, 13:23 Krovven

Armengar wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 10:46:
they dont need a marketplace at all, just allow people to "gift" or transfer a game from their list to another steam account. they dont need to provide a method for people to search for secondhand games.

Because you can guarantee that Valve and all the Publishers and Developers would be getting their cut from resales across the platform. That is the only way this will happen, if it happens at all. And I don't have a problem with that. They aren't going to allow straight trading between users. If companies were cool with that, DRM wouldn't exist.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Jul 22, 2013, 13:15 Krovven

PHJF wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 08:57:
I broke my no uplay/no origin rule for Blood Dragon

I don't mind UPlay, basically because I get achievement points and I can use that to unlock free content. And the points carry forward, so if a game doesn't have a mission or some useful content (not just skins or an avatar) then I can save those points for another game. Likewise, I can play a Uplay game on my PS3 (Assassins Creed games) for Uplay points and unlock content on a PC game (Anno).

Without the bonus of the free content, I'd be annoyed with UPlay. But it's still a step up from Bioware Social, Rockstar Social, Origin, GFWL, etc.

News Comments > Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin
17. Re: Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin Jul 22, 2013, 12:59 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 09:41:
Someone posted that link about how much time you spend and how much money you spent? I was correct on the nuts. Steam says I have spent (for real) half of what that other program says I have spent.

Yea I noticed it wasn't accurate either, about a lot of things, making it kinda useless to me. It uses current prices instead of what you paid for the games from the Transaction History. But it wouldn't know what you paid for keys from other vendors...so not sure how they would deal with that.

News Comments > Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin
16. Re: Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin Jul 22, 2013, 12:57 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 09:29:
Steam isn't that great about removing items from it as you buy them.

It doesn't remove them if you are manually entering keys purchased from another site. Seems to only work if you are purchasing directly from within the Steam Client.

6832 Comments. 342 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo