Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 7367 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
48. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 19:20 Krovven

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:31:
Yeah choice is good like we have Linux and MacOS and all that great stuff and guess what people use for gaming?
Wonder why?
All I am saying is unless SteamOS offers something that is better for users than what we already have noone will use it. Kind of like right now about 5 people uses Linux for gaming according to steam h/s survey.

What topic are we in? Oh right...glNext a modern alternative for gaming API's across multiple platforms.

You do understand why Windows is the dominant PC gaming platform? DirectX. They are trying to create a modern alternative as one doesn't currently exist.

But by your words, they shouldn't even try with SteamOS and glNext because it won't be good enough right away?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 19:13 Krovven

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:31:
Dude SteamOS is out like Star Citizen is out, wtf are you talking about?
Are you drunk?
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/ Just read what it says there

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download

Yes. It's available to download for anyone that can do a google search.

News Comments > Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm
24. Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 17:00 Krovven

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:24:
Krovven wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:15:
Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 09:26:
You make it sound like that's an easy thing done in no time. They are probably working on a new Homeworld game behind the scenes and these are just released to help build interest in that direction while helping offset the cost of the IP. Rebuilding Cataclysm without the source code wouldn't be a picnic either.

It's already been announced that BBI is working on Homeworld Shipbreakers (previously Hardware Shipbreakers). It was already written as a prequel to Homeworld before Gearbox bought the IP. They cover this in the video too.

Theyarecomingforyou this is still the Homeworld 2 engine, they have just upgraded it for modern graphics.

Please stop quoting trolls.

Ah yes, Shipbreakers.. a PVP rts on GROUND that has nothing to do with Homeworld except the name. Exactly zero people that wanted Homeworld 3 are hyped about THAT.

Besides, I never said it is easy to remake Cataclysm, I said Gearbox acts as if it's impossible. Which is complete bullshit and typical bullshit at that, coming from Gearbox

That aside, being called a Troll is like a badge of honor

And you think you know all this how? Last I checked, nobody has heard or seen anything about the game since it got retooled after Gearbox and BBI started working together.

There was a time I believe Hardware Shipbreakers was also intended to be a browser based game. Yea not any more. So whatever you think you know about Homeworld Shipbreakers other than the name and who is working on it, you can throw the rest out the window.

Actually I am hyped about it, whatever form it may take, and have been since long before they were able to use the IP again.

You need some patience. It's been what, about a year since Homeworld even got it's life back and you are already whining about no Homeworld 3? /facepalm

They didn't say it was impossible. Not even close. In fact he says they could, but it would likely not be as good as the Remastered collection. I don't know how you think games get made but devs don't wave magic wands and it's all done. It would be far easier for them if they had the source code.

Priority #1, get Remastered out the door and then work on the Multiplayer beta. Maybe they will get lucky and the source code will be found.

36. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 16:42 Krovven

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:16:
SteamOS still doesn't let you play your Origin games or the non Steam games so it is kind of locked in that regards.
So why bother with it than if a Windows based box can do everything you want and does it better.
SteamOS needs a hook to make people switch to it. So far there isn't much.

Why have Linux? Why have iOS?

They don't need a hook. They have even stated that they don't expect many people would have a dedicated SteamOS machine. They made a stand alone OS that runs their platform, so they aren't reliant on Microsoft for Windows. My understanding is they aren't trying to "convert" people to using nothing but SteamOS. Which would be silly as it is nowhere near feature complete.

Something tells me that Valve doesn't give a shit if you can't run EA's Origin on SteamOS, lol. They aren't making a direct competitor for Windows. It's intended to run a gaming pc from the living room with low overhead.

In the short term this may not mean much...in the long term, they have laid the ground work for a full on OS if the need is ever there.

22. Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 16:15 Krovven

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 09:26:
You make it sound like that's an easy thing done in no time. They are probably working on a new Homeworld game behind the scenes and these are just released to help build interest in that direction while helping offset the cost of the IP. Rebuilding Cataclysm without the source code wouldn't be a picnic either.

It's already been announced that BBI is working on Homeworld Shipbreakers (previously Hardware Shipbreakers). It was already written as a prequel to Homeworld before Gearbox bought the IP. They cover this in the video too.

Theyarecomingforyou this is still the Homeworld 2 engine, they have just upgraded it for modern graphics.

Please stop quoting trolls.

19. removed Feb 4, 2015, 13:33 Krovven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 4, 2015, 14:34.

22. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 13:18 Krovven

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 10:35:
Valve seems to be getting into all kinds of things and not finish anything before jump on the other.
-Steam controller
-Steam OS
-Steam graphics API
-Steam VR
Lots of potential "game changer" and huge plans but everything seem to get abandoned after a few months when the hype settles.
I am waiting for Valve to announce the next big thing in mobile gaming a Valve tablet or something. Than a few months later they will just forget about it and announce the ground breaking new tech in sound technology for pc gamers.

Last I checked they had more than 5 employees and were capable of working on more than one thing at a time. Your list is a small fraction of irons they have in the fire.

Who said anything about those things being abandoned? Controller is still going through iterations, OS is available for free and still being worked on. VR...really who cares? There are no commercial products for it yet anyways.

Your mind might explode if you were to find out how much R&D they do on other projects that we never hear about.

Just about everything Valve has been doing in recent years has been to give developers the option of getting out from under Microsofts thumb. This is a bad thing how?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
38. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 2, 2015, 16:19 Krovven

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 2, 2015, 16:11 Krovven

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 22:30:
Krovven wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 22:16:
I'm not sure what you are intending to debate with me, as I've already agreed it was crap. People seem to forget the console versions were shit too. PC version was still a step up.

I'm debating the general sentiment you present across several posts, namely that GTA4 wasn't bad enough to justify not preordering. GTA4 may have been a fluke, but if it was, it was an epicly bad fluke. As others have pointed out, Steam isn't going to sell out of copies, and the preorder bonuses are non-starters, so there's no reason to put down $60 now as opposed to waiting until the day of release and see what, if any, problems are cropping up for users.

And I'm debating that 1 badly optimized game is not enough reason to not preorder have seen Max Payne 3, the same dev is porting it and that the engine for GTA V runs far better even on consoles. By all means don't preorder if it means that much to you. But I've been clear as to why I've made made my own choice. People making their own choice to preorder doesn't make them idiots.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 22:16 Krovven

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 21:59:
As I said in the post I just made, their only misstep was GTA IV and it still ran and looked better on the PC than the console ports.

Uh, did you play it at release? Terrible performance, crashes, and pop-in that would make Rage blush were the order of the day. Like many others, it took a new PC built 18 months later before I could really enjoy the game.

Just look at the reviews that were published Dec '08/Jan '09: even when the scores are high out of an appreciation for the game itself, they consistently complain about poor performance, a myriad of technical issues, and almost universally call it a bad port. http://www.techspot.com/products/pc-games/grand-theft-auto-4.86986/

It also routinely shows up on worst PC ports of all time listicles:
  • http://gearburn.com/2014/05/the-worst-and-the-best-console-to-pc-ports/

• http://www.maximumpc.com/worst_pc_ports_2014

• Of course I did. I had also played it on PS3 first. I even compared side by side. On my shit computer at the time, it still ran better than the PS3 did, on higher res, with better graphics. It still looked like shit though and still ran poorly.

I'm not sure what you are intending to debate with me, as I've already agreed it was crap. People seem to forget the console versions were shit too. PC version was still a step up.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 22:14 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 21:56:
    Krovven wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 21:34:
    Jerykk wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 18:26:
    yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:35:
    Krovven wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:26:
    yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 15:05:
    Jesus, idiots gonna preorder sight unseen. >_>

And idiots keep posting stupid shit.

By sight unseen, you mean the PS3, 360, PS4, Xbone versions don't count?

Right, because it doesn't matter how well the game will perform.
    I mean come on, it's not like GTA IV's port was a piece of shit that doesn't work properly until this very day ohwaitasecond...

If people are going to preorder anyway, why should they spend any effort doing a proper job? It's going to sell anyway, so why bother?

Exactly. The game itself might be great but the port might be terrible. When it's coming from Rockstar, it's reasonable to expect the latter.

As I said in the post I just made, their only misstep was GTA IV and it still ran and looked better on the PC than the console ports.
    It was more of an engine problem than anything before, as it was optimized for CPU and your GPU had little effect on how it ran.

LA Noire was a pretty lousy port too. Capped at 30 FPS, crappy AA, lousy M/KB controls, poorly optimized, etc.

Max Payne 3 was a good port, though, so hopefully GTAV follows suit.

Never had a problem with LA Noire and I was using the same computer for that as I did GTA IV. It was a shit game anyways that Rockstar didn't make, they bought.

News Comments > Evolve Unlocks in Match-3 Game
    19. Re: Evolve Unlocks in Match-3 Game Feb 1, 2015, 21:56 Krovven

Aero wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 13:20:
    If someone made a simple-ish shooter like this and sold it on Steam for $10 or $20 and it proved to be fun and popular, then they could reasonably get more money out of it with DLC and silly apps or whatever. However, starting out from the ground up using this business model that originally came from reacting to an unexpectedly succesful game based on the assumption you can just engineer the same situation is both hubris and profoundly daft cargo cult management.

Indeed. When this was first announced I was interested. Then I found out that none of the key people at the old Turtle Rock were the ones that are part of the new Turtle Rock, my interest fell. Then they want $60 for an unproven IP from unproven developers AND $15 DLC on top of that AND micro-transactions in a companion app AFTER they ask for forgiveness and understanding and saying there won't be micro-transactions...

2K and this new Turtle Rock (that had been working on a mobile app prior to this), can suck it.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 21:36 Krovven

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 18:55:
    Aero wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 16:46:
    Yeah, I doubt it will be the case with 5, but I thought the same thing about GTA4. What could go wrong? Even though I had a higher end system at the time, it wasn't until my next upgrade two years later that it ran, well not well, but okay-ish, though it sill looked like crap.

To be fair, the GTA PC ports prior to GTA4 were technically sound for the most part.

All the same, I won't need much to convince me to buy it. Just someone I know saying 'yeah, it runs fine' will do.

I still have nightmares of flickering shadows, and nothing ever fixed that...

Absolutely. It was better to play with shadows off...but at least you could turn them off unlike on the console versions where they looked like shit and you couldn't do anything about it. Again engine problem, not their PC port problem.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 21:34 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 18:26:

I mean come on, it's not like GTA IV's port was a piece of shit that doesn't work properly until this very day ohwaitasecond...

If people are going to preorder anyway, why should they spend any effort doing a proper job? It's going to sell anyway, so why bother?

Exactly. The game itself might be great but the port might be terrible. When it's coming from Rockstar, it's reasonable to expect the latter.

It was more of an engine problem than anything before, as it was optimized for CPU and your GPU had little effect on how it ran.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 21:31 Krovven

Well let's see here...GTA IV on consoles ran and looked like crap too. It ran and looked better on PC, just not up to everyone standards, including me, but it wasnt bad enough that I didn't play it.

Red Dead Redemption using the same engine ran and looked great on consoles. Guaranteed the main reason it wasnt released on PC is because they hadn't sorted out the PC issues with the engine being optimized for CPU vs GPU yet.

Max Payne 3 PC, the engine was updated, a different team ported it from console to PC and it ran and looks great. Oh and the same team that did Max Payne 3 port is doing the GTA V port.

GTA V on consoles, runs and looks great, even on the PS3 and 360.

I've got a lot of friends getting the PC version and have already pre-ordered it. I intend to play with them a lot over the next however many years.

So when it comes to Rockstars one misstep with GTA IV not running very well on PC...I can let it slide, especially having played the PS3 version a ton and have seen the updates for PC.

Does that make me an idiot? No, I don't think so. I think that's me making an informed choice. Sure it's somewhat of a risk, but considering the hundreds of hours I've already got out of GTA V and all their other games, I've got no problem giving them another $60.

EA and the Battlefield series...now there is a series I will never preorder again and at this point won't ever buy again. Every single release from BF1942 up to BF4 has been plagued with problems at launch, yet people still buy into that crap.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2015, 21:36.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 17:26 Krovven

News Comments > Evolve Unlocks in Match-3 Game
    5. Re: Evolve Unlocks in Match-3 Game Jan 31, 2015, 16:04 Krovven

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 14:13:
    The Plan:
    1. Buy Evolve.
    2. Get app
    3. Give app to obsessive child
    4. Child completes all unlocks
    5. Profit.

The only thing they have done right is not have the DLC split the community. Everything else has been an utter fail and example of how not to market your game. I could be wrong, but didn't they say they weren't going to have micro transactions? Well they didn't lie. They don't have micro transactions in the game...just in the mobile companion game.

Why would you support this kind of business model? Never mind that everything about the gameplay looks like boring shit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 17:05 Krovven

All i can say is, at this time, we have no fear of super intelligent Ai coming from the games industry. Nobody has been pushing that envelope.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 1 Ends Next Week (Probably)
    10. Re: Diablo III Season 1 Ends Next Week (Probably) Jan 28, 2015, 22:30 Krovven

Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 20:58:
    Ward wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 19:34:
    I remember they promised there would never be seasons for D3. Just another example of the POS that this game became.

I would love to see this quote (in it's entirety)...

Specifically I believe they said there would never be Ladders, in the same form they were in Diablo 2.

News Comments > Into the Black
    1. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2015, 17:41 Krovven

I have basically lost all interest in this now.

7367 Comments. 369 pages. Viewing page 21.
    < Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo