Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6885 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
45. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 23, 2013, 05:11 Krovven

Ladron3dfx wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 04:45:
Arstechnica.com PS4 vs. Xbox One Battle

Arstechnica.com compares the two next gen systems.

Winner: Xbox One Gossip

Yea I've got a few issues with their "outcomes" in some categories. Controller goes to XBox...yes it uses AA and lasts longer, but over the course of the controllers lifetime, how much additional $$ are you forking out for batteries? You also need a separate apparatus for voice on the Xbox controller (a step backwards from the 360 controller), which they fail to even mention. The PS4 controller can use any standard miniport headphones with or without mic as per the users choice.

They praise the Windows 8 interface...barf.

Xbox took twice as long as the PS4 on startup. They didn't bother to talk about that. Just how the Xbox quick startup from standby is 20 seconds and has all these Kinect features...that many simply do not want to begin with.

As for launch titles...it really is subjective. There has been no exclusive titles on the 360 that made me interested in getting one. Likewise there are zero launch titles on the XBone that I'm interested in. To be fair, none of the PS4 launch titles interest me that much either. But thanks to my PS+ subscription I already have 2 PS4 games waiting for me to play when I do get one (and more coming every month)...not to mention, I already have a Vita, which will be awesome for Remote Play.

What did XBox Live Games-With-Gold people get for their XBone? ...

The PS+ game lineup has been amazing with 4 to 7 games for PS3/Vita being released for free every month.

Infamous Second Son and Uncharted are the system sellers for me when it comes to the PS4. I've yet to see any for the XBone. Titanfall will be on PC...and even then I'll probably skip it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Op Ed Nov 23, 2013, 04:46 Krovven

Simon Says wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 19:46:
Krovven wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:18:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:11:
Simon Says wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:00:
I remember the N64 being said to have a weak launch lineup, with Mario 64, Starfox and the likes.

Didn't it launch with just Mario and Pilotwings? Wikipedia suggests Starfox 64 came out like 9 months later.

Yup that is correct. Simon has selective memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Mario 64 was still revolutionary, I may have selective memory, you guys have very selective realtime perception...

The question wasn't whether it had a weak lineup, the question was whether it had Starfox as a launch title, which it didn't. US N64 had a total of 2 games at launch. 1 good game, 1 so-so...but just TWO games. Ouch. US Dreamcast (RIP) had almost 20 games, US PS2 had almost 30. They weren't all good by any stretch, but there was at least a good variety to choose from and some good games in there.

Almost every single console launch has had a relatively weak set of launch titles. It's to be expected. I can find good games in almost every console launch. But it really is subjective.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
55. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 23, 2013, 04:23 Krovven

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:32:
And likewise, I draw issue with your second paragraph. You're correct that you can do all of those things, but does that actually enhance gameplay when you're dealing with combat systems that support only the most rudimentary AI? How does quickly fixing every mistake you make make for more compelling gameplay when the AI can't do the same? One of the chief complaints about the games you listed is that they were piss easy; the same can't be said about the Gold Box games.

Yea I think it does enhance gameplay. Straight turn-based, while in general I have no problem with it, once you know how everything works combat generally ceases to be a challenge. You know how to deal with each unit and make your moves accordingly. In a real-time with pause situation it is a lot more dynamic and things can happen that aren't necessarily predictable.

Planescape Torment is real-time with pause. That's what I expected when I backed the Kickstarter. And looking at the comments on the Kickstarter page, I'm not alone in feeling this way. There really shouldn't be any vote on it at all. But if they want to do Turn-Based, they need to do both.

My guess is the only reason they are even putting this up as an option is because it will be easier and save them a lot of time and effort if they can just use the turn-based combat system they have already programmed for Wasteland 2.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2013, 04:31.

39. Re: Op Ed Nov 22, 2013, 18:18 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:11:
Simon Says wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 18:00:
I remember the N64 being said to have a weak launch lineup, with Mario 64, Starfox and the likes.

Didn't it launch with just Mario and Pilotwings? Wikipedia suggests Starfox 64 came out like 9 months later.

Yup that is correct. Simon has selective memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
40. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 18:04 Krovven

Real Time with Pause has worked just fine for some of the best RPG's in PC gaming. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Dragon's Age, and many more. If you have trouble with pausing before your units have completed their previous actions, that's your problem you need to correct.

Seeing an enemy casting a spell or maybe a Rogue trying to flank one of your characters, pause, choose character and cast interrupt, root or shield bash or whatever...you simply cannot do that in Turn Based. And yes you may even have to have a character stop what their were previously doing to react to something, that's a good thing. You can choose to either let that action play out, or have them react to something else.

The voting is currently within 100 votes of one another for RT+P and TB. Simple solution is to offer an auto-pause after each cycle, just like the above mentioned games offered. You can forget straight Real Time...it's not even remotely close in the voting.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2013, 18:13.

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
12. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 21, 2013, 23:34 Krovven

I was pissed off with the game having paid the pre-order price. The game is "ok", but it just seemed like there was a shell of an open world action-rpg, with a linear game inside.

What I'm really pissed off about was that the games graphics were so fucked up for the first month with my ATI card, that the game was unplayable. Neither Bethesda nor Steam were willing to give a refund.

Once the patch/drivers finally came out, a friend and I tried to play coop without success. We could not connect to each other, regardless who hosted. The big kicker was, we could host/join each others MP race games no problem. That game mode sucked and we never touched it again.

It wasn't until about 6 months later we tried again and did connect. Turns out the coop was just as boring as the single player game.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins
27. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 20, 2013, 18:41 Krovven

Grim Dawn feels a bit too much like Titan Quest in it's "stiffness". I haven't played far enough in it yet to know if the skills and gear is going to be as boring as Titan Quest though. I enjoyed TQ and have played it through 3 times. But I always end up feeling bored by the end.

30. GTA 5 glitches Nov 18, 2013, 20:35 Krovven

Really, that story leads with a minor extended clip glitch? Sounds entirely cosmetic and if it's not...after purchasing an extended clip, why would you ever want to remove it?

While I have never experienced any problems with missing cars or losing my character... It has been 2 months now and Rockstar still hasn't fixed it. There are frequent "cloud outages" and every time that happens, the Support forums light up with people losing their characters, vehicles & upgrades, property, in-game cash (some purchased with real money).

I have had a lot of fun playing the game with the Crew, as evident of my level 113, but never mind the loses some people are experiencing...there is the glitching/cheating, disconnects, game crashes and cloud hangs that occur. Then of course there are many gameplay and design issues (too many to even discuss) that need to be dealt with.

None of this has been addressed since launch. DLC and Title Update are expected tomorrow. Hopefully they have some major changes with that update.

News Comments > DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt
12. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 14:41 Krovven

TheWeaponeer, check the Steam Hub for the Batman games. Assuming you haven't formatted your drive, there are file locations & utilities to convert the saves for the games to the new versions.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2013, 18:52 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 17:37:
Only 8 games for ps4 out of the gate?

NES launched with 18.

/I say 8 cause some dude on Twitter posted 8 games and claimed he got them all? They are on what I can only imagine is on his bed in his mom's basement.....

Found this, don't know if it's up to date. There are several re-releases and PSN releases as well as the retail titles.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Launch_Titles

Other than being broke, I can't think I've ever bought a console at launch. I think the PS2 being just 4 or 5 months after release being the closest one. Almost always better to wait 6 months to a year after release.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2013, 13:23 Krovven

LEGO Lord of the Rings on sale for $7.50 on Steam...looks good. I didn't realize it was open world. And LEGO Marvel Heroes, want that too...so tempting...or do I wait for the holiday sales...

Would kinda prefer to have them on PS3 though.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2013, 14:25.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs
49. Re: Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs Nov 9, 2013, 14:26 Krovven

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 23:55:
In an MMO RPG like wow your skills rarely matter because it's based on level/equipment/stats/skilltree and how much time you invest. Everything is passively determined all you have to do is get the right gear/skills/stat points then everything lines up.

You are absolutely clueless. There is no denying that the story questing process is designed for casual players and nothing wrong with that. Gear at this point is not a factor. The gear you get from quests will allow you to finish this content easily, regardless of skill.

But once you reach max level, gear does become a factor but only to be able to participate in raids. No doubt about it. But to suggest that is all that matters...just makes you sound like a moron that has no clue what they are talking about. There is a a large variety of skill amongst WoW players and I'll take a better skilled player over a better geared player every time when it comes to a WoW raid. You don't just push a few buttons and win because you have the gear that allows you to participate in the content. Anyone that has done "hardcore" raiding in WoW knows this.

Crawl back into the hole you came from, troll.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer
28. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer Nov 8, 2013, 14:23 Krovven

People need to accept that things change. The Mystic in RoS does not function the same way it did in beta and it wasn't working well, so it was removed to focus dev time elsewhere. This is how things work.

Just like the stupid pets that many here bitched about when they were removed from beta. They performed a redundant function when compared to Pickup Radius, and were removed. People bitched. Reality...nobody missed them at all.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer
14. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Trailer Nov 8, 2013, 04:04 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 22:08:
I would go back to the game if they brought back random levels. SO frustrating.

Pretty sure I've read that Act V will have random outdoor areas, not just dungeons.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 21:01 Krovven

The point is that when compared to a mouse, touch is intuitive for the average person, whether they have used a mouse or not, and played games before or not. That is the point of the quote you referenced.

I don't like most touch games (there are a few exceptions though) and I find touch control to mostly be inaccurate. But I am extremely adept at using a mouse. Most people are not and are going to find touch games more accessible.

45. Re: Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs Nov 7, 2013, 16:13 Krovven

Primal, I think you are misunderstanding my meaning and the difference between challenge from good design and challenge due to poor design, bugs and bloated numbers.

I'll try and explain it another way...EQ's raids were challenging for all the wrong reasons. If you take away the buggy engine, and take away the bloated health of the bosses, the boss fights were an absolute joke. Almost every boss fight was the exact same. Tank gets the boss to face a corner, clerics chain heal rotation, everyone else hits the back of the boss. Rinse repeat. Once you could do that on one boss, you could beat 95% of the bosses in the game with little effort. They required player numbers, and time, not skill.

Most WoW boss fights require valid strategy to overcome the bosses abilities and fight mechanics in any given fight. Being able to defeat one boss, or even a dozens bosses, does not mean you can walk in and defeat every boss.

42. Re: Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs Nov 7, 2013, 12:35 Krovven

Primal, you are way overstating the difficulty of EQ. Breaking into Hate or even Fear was only difficult because it was so fucking buggy that it would chain aggro half the zone if someone stepped the wrong way.

Once they fixed (mostly) those problems it was no longer an issue to the extent it was before.

Most of the raids were also only difficult because of the bloated health on the bosses requiring 60-100 people, and had nothing to do with boss fight design. Most boss fights came down to 1-3 tanks, 3-5 clerics on healing rotation on those tanks and everyone else at standing there dealing damage for 15-45minutes. Yawn.

I played EQ for 4+ years and have many fond memories. But I completed all of the raids from classic EQ up to and including most of Planes of Power and looking back, most of it was a massive waste of time. Spending hours doing raid to get 2-4 pieces of gear to distribute to 60-80 raiders...fucking stupid.

41. Re: Activision Blizzard's Financials - WoW at 7.6M Subs Nov 7, 2013, 12:11 Krovven

Lorcin, the change to the old zones in Cataclysm was a free update to all players. Get your facts straight before slinging shit.

Taskeen, you seem to be attributing EQ gameplay to WoW. If you just stood there watching your character swing his weapon during a dungeon or raid, you died and possibly even wiped everyone. A shitty player plays the way you describe, guess we know how you played.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2013, 11:52 Krovven

Loved my 3DO! Need For Speed, Killing Time, Bladeforce, Cannon Fodder, Space Hulk...so many others.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 6, 2013, 22:20 Krovven

You'd be amazed at how many people struggle with a mouse even after years of using one. I've even worked with graphic designers that use the keyboard more than a mouse (raised on 1 button Mac mouse). It's ridiculous.

For many of us, it's an extension of our hand and operates almost as if our mind is controlling it directly. Others still struggle with getting the mouse cursor to go where they want it to go.

6885 Comments. 345 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo