Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6826 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
74. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:12 Krovven

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:50:
Or ridiculously funny videos featuring groups entirely made of the same character.

Because every other ARPG has so many character options and never have groups with all the same class/character? Marvel Heroes problem with that is the Costumes remained the same for most of the game, therefore you didn't see a lot of visual variety unless someone paid for a Costume, or got lucky with a Costume drop.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 18:01 Krovven

ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:38:
What? I never said that I wanted a locked skill tree that I can't change... I was talking about the Hellgate London skill trees.

ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:10:
If your build is not good enough or if you don't like it, you can start a new character, of the same class, and play it differently.

That is what I quoted, and that is what I was responding to.

As you describe it, that is not how Hellgate London works. I got 15min into Hellgate London and uninstalled that piece of shit. So if you want to talk specific games with specific skill trees, then do so by using their name. Just sounds like you are trying to twist your way out of the contradiction you made as the ability to respec in Hellgate London would not require you to "start a new character" which is exactly what you said is the skill tree style you prefer.

Edit: also, about your website, these aren't many different builds... It's basically the same build with one skill changed for another.

Only people that don't know what they are talking about say that. It's easy to see the base skills and say it's all the same with minor changes. There are 6 Runes per base skill and most of the Runes drastically change how the base skill works. So you can be using 4 of the same base skills with 4 Runes and that build will have a completely different play style than if you use the same 4 base skills and change each of their Runes. Start changing around the Passives and again it changes how builds play.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2013, 18:08.

71. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:53 Krovven

Redmask wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:42:
...he says while reading the minds of random internet people everywhere to bolster his own opinion.

Almost like there was a beta for a game that let people play it in advance and an early access period.

Any idiot can tell from the comments in the launch thread that the people trashing it had not even played it as they didn't know that Heroes dropped and were not just purchased. They weren't even willing to try playing the free game because they weren't willing to spend their ridiculous prices for all the Heroes, despite not having to at all.

Also doesn't take a genius to look at Steam and see who has and who has not played the game. Difficult concept for you to wrap your brain around I'm sure.

68. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:38 Krovven

RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:24:
LOL seriously! I think I'm one of the only people on Blue's that really has no issues with Marvel Heroes and find it fun.

Most people on Blues have never even played Marvel Heroes. They were trashing it the day it was released without having played it themselves.

I played it through once as Hawkeye, with zero money spent. I have Scarlet and Thing that I can play as if I choose to play again in the future. The game was so-so and I'm glad I didn't have to pay to play. It had very poor performance, lots of lag and for the most part wasn't an enjoyable experience. They have done a lot of patching and made a lot of changes in the last few months. Some day I may give it another go, but I have so much more to play that is more worthy of my time.

66. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 17:33 Krovven

ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:10:
If your build is not good enough or if you don't like it, you can start a new character, of the same class, and play it differently.

Most people don't want to do that, nor do they have time to do that. If that's how D3 was, I (and just about everyone else I know) would not have played it beyond Normal difficulty (just as I didn't with D2). Instead I have all 5 classes at lvl 60 with varying levels of Paragon on each of them.

Hitting a wall in an ARPG where the build you have chosen ceases to be viable, sucks ass. Starting over with a new build that may run into the same problem 30 hours in, is not fun. If you enjoy that, there are several other ARPG options out there for you.

The irony is, you contradict yourself. You say don't want to use "one of X combos that work", but that's exactly what you are saying you want by preferring to use a locked skill tree that you cannot change, therefore you need to know exactly what "combos" you are going to be using up-front for the entire time you play that character.

The D3 method, I can play the same character from lvl 1 to 60 using a huge variety of skills, swap them around, change the Runes and experiment with different combos and I never need to look it up on a website to tell me if I'm wasting my time or not. I try it, and change it as needed.

60. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:59 Krovven

ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 16:41:
I'm still forced to use the best skills instead of the skills I actually like.

Which is completely false and has always been.

Every class has multiple viable builds.
One look here http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/ proves this, as even the highest percentage is Barbarians (Whirlwind build) sitting at only 6%. Other classes have a lot more variety with builds than the Barbarians and that has more to do with the Barbarians other build options being not very fun to play.

It's too bad people are unimaginative and just use what everyone else tells them "is the best build" or people like you just spouting that there is only 1 good build without actually knowing what they are talking about. There are many YouTube vids out there with very experienced players showing off different builds. And if you actually play with other people, you can change your build(s) around to work very well together, even though they aren't considered the best 'solo' builds. But that requires some people to remove their head from their ass, which is often too much to ask.

I much prefer the D3 skill system over say T2 or PoE, which you pretty much have to know from the start what you are doing. D3 I've changed my skills around often as I levelled up, and still do at level 60 with all classes. I haven't played in awhile, but despite the games other shortcomings, the gameplay kicks the shit out of every other ARPG out there.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 21, 2013, 16:45 Krovven

Since it hasn't been posted in the last 2 days...

PS Vita's are now $199!

Thanks to PS+ I already have a dozen or so Vita titles, including the ones I've wanted to play since the Vita launched.

Birthday is around the corner and christmas not too far off...I've been dropping not so subtle hints to my girlfriend

News Comments > EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees
63. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 21, 2013, 16:38 Krovven

saluk wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 03:24:
pretty cool. Too bad steam is a total monopoly and this wont really help the struggling origin out at all. But whether it's evil corporation ea or evil corporation valve, I like it when an evil corporation at least pretends to put consumers rights over profit.

I don't think you have a clue what a "monopoly" is, as Steam does not have a Monopoly, at all.

GMG,GetGames, Origin, GamersGate, Amazon, Impulse, Gamefly...the list goes on and on.

58. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:25 Krovven

Diablo Fans info on new features

Legendaries are looking good. As are the new features.

auction-house-in-expansion-question

Based on the screens in the first link, I'm guessing some/all of the targeted drops will be Account Bound Legendaries, and/or using the Mystic to change stats on a legendary will make the item Account Bound.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2013, 16:33.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Aug 9, 2013, 03:13 Krovven

Dev wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 22:14:
SirKnight wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 21:23:
I like the ports of these new versions of Duke3D and Shadow Warrior. The other ports out there are good, but don't feel as polished to me as these. I'll be glad when they finally add multiplayer and linux versions.
Note that while there's a promise to add multiplayer to duke 3d on the store page, there's no such promise for shadow warrior.

He has made the promise in the forums for SWR. But considering he made the promise for Duke Megaton and didn't follow through with that promise and instead released another game port...He isn't getting my money for Shadow Warrior until he follows through with it for both games.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
52. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 23:13 Krovven

Do a google image search for "Phil Fish douche" and the first image is full of his famous quotes. He was a pompous ass in that Indie Game documentary even before his game was released. Clearly he was a jackass before he was famous, and got worse after he got known and even moreso when people liked his game. The guy has issues and has deserved all the hate he gets.

AngryGamers comments were 100% accurate and a direct result of several years of Fish being a dickhead to him and other press.

I've never played Fez and have zero interest. Even moreso after seeing his comments to the gaming consumers and gaming press alike. Regardless of how good a game may be, someone like Fish doesn't deserve my money.

News Comments > Space Hulk Preorders
10. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 27, 2013, 19:35 Krovven

Interested, but I'll wait and see after release. The demo they had at E3 barely worked (no animations, among other things) and it just seemed rather boring. I find it hard to believe they will have it released in a completed and polished state by August 15th.

I have never been into table top war games, but I loved Space Hulk on the 3DO, but that was a different time.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns
37. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 26, 2013, 02:59 Krovven

Oops accidentally posted this in the old thread earlier.

Save anywhere is sorely needed. I was playing this afternoon and got a call to go fishing. So I'll probably have to start over.

The game does seem a little bland, but I wasn't far enough along to really get into it. It did feel like I was replaying the SNES game. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's been 20 yrs, hard to make direct comparisons.

Good thing is, the Workshop is already active and when I looked earlier someone had already created a mod for the editor to allow for corpse looting.

For $15, 2 copies of the game, the editor, mod support and the Berlin DLC to come, it's can't complain too much.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
31. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 26, 2013, 00:31 Krovven

Save anywhere is sorely needed. I was playing this afternoon and got a call to go fishing. So I'll probably have to start over.

The game does seem a little bland, but I wasn't far enough along to really get into it. It did feel like I was replaying the SNES game. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's been 20 yrs, hard to make direct comparisons.

Good thing is, the Workshop is already active and when I looked earlier someone had already created a mod for the editor to allow for corpse looting.

For $15, 2 copies of the game, the editor, mod support and the Berlin DLC to come, it's can't complain too much.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2013, 16:51 Krovven

Nvm, became clear the list was a joke as I read further on.  

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
14. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 19:22 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:19:
Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:07:
That doesn't mean they have stopped doing it themselves as well Dev. As already said by someone below...plenty of other indie games get through without going through Greenlight.
No not yet, but I think they've been wanting it to At least for not yet on steam devs. Given that the text on their greenlight page says:
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/
Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?
Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:23:
Get enough positive exposure and Valve will see the opportunity for a business relationship.
Yes, but fun and interesting rank far higher as motivators for valve employees than profitable business relationships, or really just about anything.

That means nothing when they are still publishing games without going through Greenlight. I'm sure there are plenty of factors involved. Have the devs self published on Steam before? Has the Publisher published on Steam before? How did those games do? Were the pubs/devs a pain in the ass to deal with?

My understanding as a dev/pub, is once you are in, you have a web portal to manage everything with Steam. Would seem kind of silly to tell those people they can't publish their next game using the tools they already have access to.

Plucking FAQ entries doesn't tell us the whole story. And to my knowledge no existing Publishers have had to put their games through Greenlight.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2013, 19:10 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 16:56:
BitWraith wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 10:00:
Semi-Accurate - sounds like a Kotaku story to me.

Zactly.
They say the lowest sale was 1.25, but then a little further down say Just Cause was 27 cents. Nice job kraptaco!

Kotaku didn't create the graphic. "Redditor tallkido has put together a nifty infographic"

And it says right at the top of the graphic that the stats are for main page sales only. Just Cause wasn't a main page sale. JC was mentioned in the goofs section.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released
39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 06:05 Krovven

Queen was mass producing worker aliens. Strung up to take the pressure off her body. Even the tube could be moved around to place eggs in different locations. The egg the Queen deliberately planted for Ripley was a Queen making egg.

Anyways, whole point was that the game was already working with what was already broken by the Alien 3 writers.

And again, all you are doing is saying "they should have done this instead". Anybody can do that. I could sit here and list off a dozen possibilities for Alien stories they could have done. It all means nothing as that's not what they did do and went another direction with it again with 4, AvP movies and then Prometheus. So the one thing they have been consistent about is being inconsistent with their mythology and film style.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 06:11.

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:08 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:50:
Didn't the queen tear off her entire egg laying apparatus before going after Ripley, well before she was anywhere near the dropship?

It's another common question and adds to how the egg got there in the first place. Only real answer is, we don't know if a Queen can lay eggs without the whole apparatus. So suspension of disbelief says it's possible.

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:05 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:47:
Aliens had already advanced it past the monster film stage. It established additional character shadings for Ripley. It showed Weyland-Yutani moving their agenda forward. Instead of one alien there was a colony of them -- and a queen. Instead of an unarmed crew trying to survive with materials at hand it was an armed military squad.

So how did the third movie move things further forward? Kind of didn't.

People complain that films, games, and tv shows go off in the wrong direction and want things to "go back to their roots" all the time. All you are doing is suggesting they follow the path of the second movie instead of going the direction they did. Both Alien and Aliens were different styles of film and succeeded on their own merits. Nobody remembers this, but there were a lot of hardcore Alien fans that were not happy with the departure from the style of the first film.

It's really easy to sit back after the fact and say they should have gone the other way and made the obvious sequel stylistically to Aliens. But when writing, sometimes the last thing you want to do is the obvious. Did we really want to watch the same 3 characters go through the exact same situation again, doing the exact same things? It's a trap that is really easy to write for and hasn't worked out for a lot of movie sequels.

So yes, I think it was brave to not just do the obvious. Unfortunately it didn't work out so well. And who knows how it would have been if Fox had just let Fincher make the movie without interference. But as for the writing, it wasn't Fincher and it was people that had been involved with the Aliens story.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 05:10.

6826 Comments. 342 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo