Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 7456 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Blood Shard Bans
6. Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 14:45 Krovven

Zarkov wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:21:
dubfanatic wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:05:
I can tell you've never worked on a large-scale software project before.
Never on a project large enough to suddenly have users be responsible for bugs.

Nobody said they were responsible for the bugs. Where do you get that from? They are however responsible for their own actions.

If you find some way in a game like this to exploit a mechanic that is obviously unintended, if you do not stop it, then suffer the consequences.

I'll assume you weren't capable of reading past the opening line to the new story...so I'll help you out. Players "Accounts which were found to have used the exploit to a limited degree (or quickly stopped once realizing the scope of what was happening) were effectively pardoned."

People that abused it repeatedly, were banned and rightfully so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
49. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 16:09 Krovven

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 16:04:
Early access mods!

Absolutely.

Could you imagine if the next step for Skyrim was to straight up patch it so that it required Workshop and mods couldn't even be hosted on 3rd party sites like Nexus?

Not sure if someone already mentioned...but Valve has removed the "Rate" buttons on the paid content. /fail

I hope Valve is listening to the massive pushback.

47. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:54 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 15:11:
If they were going to outlaw free mods, wouldn't the vast, vast majority - about 99.93% - of the Skyrim mods on the workshop no longer be free, or have been removed? Wouldn't they have made the default paid instead of free?

No, because many existing mods use assets from other mods or require the use of other mods to function.

This prevents them from selling those mods...until they can go stand alone. Guaranteed some authors are working right now to remove the reliance of other mods from their own.

There is the possibility with future titles that a dev could require it.

46. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:49 Krovven

I agree that we could see some higher quality mods come out of this.

Much like Greenlight I think it's going to have a far more negative effect than it will positive. We may see a few quality mods come, but we will see a massive glut of basic mods charging far too much for what is being offered.

44. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:39 Krovven

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 14:00:
Sure, the last two posts do talk about how twisted this becomes. Doing this mid/late stream, would seem to compound those issues. So I don't know how well it works for mods already in the wild. Moving forward probably be cleaner. I like the idea of $$ for mods, but the mods have to step up and be better and bigger. Now you are a business, this isn't a good try, crap support because it's free. The moment you ask for $$$ it all changes. They will have to get that understood as well. A small mod isn't going to be worth jack. A total conversion... now you may have something. Some best be thinking $1. Steam really needs a points for $'s system now to get down to cheap transactions that many of these at best will deserve.

I know right. Let's use Black Mesa as an example. It took them 8 years(?) to release and it's still not complete. They would go dark for years at a time. Could you imagine if they had charged for the mod and never delivered.

Valve doesn't want to provide the man-power to micromanage what games go on Steam, but they are willing to micro-manage monetization with all sorts of spokes making things very complicated?

42. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:25 Krovven

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 12:20:
C. You have the choice if you want it or not.

And mod authors have always had the choice of making them or not. It wasn't about over-charging to make a few bucks while the Dev/Publisher suck most of it away. And again to be clear, I'm not opposed to authors making some money off their efforts. A "Donate to this mod" button would have sufficed, or even a cap of $1 to prevent greedy fucks from charging the price of full games for simple mods. The amount Bethesda is taking is ridiculous. The mod authors are what made Skyrim good and fixed up a ton of bugs in the full game. It's a pile of shit unmodded.

2 days ago I had a working Skyrim setup that I could copy over and fire up the mods, today I don't. This isn't a new game, it's an old one.

Basically I'm done with Skyrim and I'll seriously reconsider anything made by Bethesda again.

Edit: Not sure why I'm at all surprised about this, from Bethesda of all companies...they are the founders of the modern day DLC business model they pioneered with $2 Horse Armor.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2015, 15:31.

35. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:06 Krovven

descender wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 10:55:
Valve does not get 75%, they get the same "microtransaction fee" they get for everything workshop related just like TF2/CS/DOTA2 (I believe their cut is 8%) and Bethesda gets 67% of the money.

There is still a "pay what you want" option. Ultimately it's up to the modder how and what you get charged for. Gamers (consumers) are going to have to make intelligent decisions on what mods they support with their real money just like *gasp* real life. The successful ones will thrive, and the ripoffs won't.

This chicken little routine going on regarding this change is just insane. A lot of you would be considerably less freaked out by this if you kept reading past the headlines.

If you can't see the problems with this especially after the first day clusterfuck, then you are dumber than I thought.

Just to clear it up, when people say Valve/Steam takes 75%, they are referring to the 25% they get and everything else goes to Valve/Bethesda. People can read, it's been posted a dozen times or more. You are arguing semantics because you think it makes yourself look smarter, I guess.

I have no problem with mod makers getting some money for their efforts. I do however have serious issues with the way it's being done and anyone with half a brain can see the problems.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Trailer
8. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Trailer Apr 24, 2015, 07:42 Krovven

A couple years ago I bought the Tom Clancy pack on Steam during a sale. Wow was I ever disappointed. They games did not hold up well at all I found.

I had fond memories playing the first several games in the series, but I just can't go back to the horrible movement and animations.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
109. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 07:18 Krovven

paid-skyrim-mod-turns-into-a-clusterfuck

Good job Valve...how could nobody have seen shit like this coming?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2015, 07:15 Krovven

shihonage wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:14:
Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:47:
shihonage wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:57:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:35:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:25:
The only thing that significantly reduced any nagging stutter or hitches occasionally that I saw, was disabling the user radio station. (Deleting or moving all the shortcuts out of the user music folder)

Why aren't you running an SSD?

Because SSDs aren't suitable for massive storage yet. One doesn't just put their Steam library on an SSD.

Call me when 2TB+ SSDs become affordable, commonplace, and reliable.

You don't need every game on one drive. Put the most demanding games on the SSD and the rest on your normal drive.

Do you even have 60GB free on your SSD? I don't. And gameS? As in plural? Oh Lawd. Stop pretending this sort of massive file juggling is some kind of convenient solution.

The problem lies with the devs. End of story.

I don't have one yet. But it (500gb SSD) arrives with the new computer next week I hope My Windows 7 currently runs from a 10k rpm 75gb drive that I've had forever. Win7 is less than 40gb. Obviously you would have space issues on a 128gb drive. 250g are getting quite reasonably priced though and the 128's are very cheap.

If you want a 2TB SSD any time soon, I hope you have the cash for it. It's going to be quite awhile before they are reasonably priced.

98. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 23:17 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:11:
Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:53:
Already several mods thy I used for Skyrim are now pay only on Steam and have been removed from Nexus.

How many could you have been using? There are 18 paid mods right now, right? I know the Wet and Cold one has been mentioned, but the other 17 don't look anything whose absence would cripple the game. Surely there's something in the 25,240 still-free mods that could fill the gap?

I'm at work so I can't go through my list of mods right now. I also don't have Skyrim installed at the moment so I'd have to look at my backups. I think I had around 75 mods installed last time I played. It's also only been a few hours. There will be more. Hopefully most reconsider with the backlash.

95. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:58 Krovven

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:22:
Grokk wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:19:
A lot of people are going to get sued for a lot of bullshit over this.

Also, the 24hr refund policy doesn't actually work with the Australian law, so it should be interesting to see how that pans out over time.

On top of that, is a refund really a refund, or does it get converted into steam credit?

I'm sure there's a whole lot of legal jargon typed up somewhere that explains all of this and effectively allows Valve/Bethesda to avoid any kind of wrongdoing.

Could be an interesting few days, as the venting rage starts to dissipate and the really interesting thoughts/ideas around this begin to unfold and gain momentum.

Interesting ideas you mean like taking mods that are no longer supported by authors who maybe went to do other things in live and releasing those mods as yourelf claiming to be author and reapin the benefits? Ye, further mass dcma takedowns and considering in that case if anyone files a suit over copyrights since bethseda takes most of the revenue does that mean they can get sued for it?

People have already posted mods for sale that they are not the author of and had no association with. What's to stop me from grabbing an abandoned mod that still works and throwing it up for sale and profiting from it?

The percentage split is ridiculous and furthers my opinion that Bethesda are greedy bastards. Mod made their shell of a game fun to play. Without mods I would never have bothered.

94. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:53 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:35:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:25:
1. Mods in the past could be improved by someone other than the original owner and no one cared. That collaborative freedom will be gone.

I feel like this isn't true at all. That modders and warez groups are two factions often absurdly territorial and possessive over other people putting their names on their work. Like, message board drama dialed up to 12.

It's absolutely true. Mods get abandoned and continued on by others all the time. Many mods are worked on by dozens of people over years. Some come and go. Who gets paid?

Like Greenlight, this looked good on paper but reality is its gonna be a cluster fuck.
Already several mods thy I used for Skyrim are now pay only on Steam and have been removed from Nexus. I only use Nexus as Workshop is a pain to manage more than a handful of mods.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2015, 21:47 Krovven

shihonage wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:57:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:35:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:25:
The only thing that significantly reduced any nagging stutter or hitches occasionally that I saw, was disabling the user radio station. (Deleting or moving all the shortcuts out of the user music folder)

Why aren't you running an SSD?

Because SSDs aren't suitable for massive storage yet. One doesn't just put their Steam library on an SSD.

Call me when 2TB+ SSDs become affordable, commonplace, and reliable.

You don't need every game on one drive. Put the most demanding games on the SSD and the rest on your normal drive.

News Comments > Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours
19. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 21:04 Krovven

ViRGE wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:13:
Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 11:50:
Just want to add that if this were indeed a data breach with Rockstar, this would not be limited to PC customers, which is currently seems to be. Console (only) users would be having the same problem in larger numbers. And as I said in one of the other threads, this doesn't seem to be widespread but rather a small number compared to the amount of Social Club users they actually have across 5 platforms.
Would there be any point in stealing console accounts though? PC accounts get you the game, AFAIK console accounts do not.

That's true. But if they already have a copy of the game, then it would still allow them to use your account. Target for hackers that get banned to not have to pay to continue on.

News Comments > GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups
24. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 12:02 Krovven

NamecaF wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 11:41:
InBlack wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 07:58:
The real question is how many of those that got burned by Rockstar's support (in addition to already having an unplayable product) will turn around and buy (or even worse, preorder) the very next thing Rockstar announces, without batting an eyelid.

I dont think any other industry in the world has better, loyal or more forgetful customers, most of us gamers are ready and willing to buy any old piece of shit in a box (or a digital download) just WOW us and HYPE us and we will give you our soul...

It's quite pathetic, but when you think about the origins of our escapism hobby, it makes a lot of sense.

I saw this coming a mile away and said as much a month or so ago and got poo-pooed by all the fan-boys on here.

Rockstar's arrogance and consistent lack of respect for their paying customers should not be rewarded! Like I said last time they wont ever be seeing another red cent from me.

All you other forgetful/weak-willed enablers either need to vote with your wallets too or else suck it up, stop complaining and realise you're not helping the situation or yourselves by continuing to buy their games and show them that it's ok to treat their customers like this.

Yet I still have gotten more value per dollar with GTA V than almost any other game I own and I've bought the PS3 and PC versions at full price. Rockstar Support sucks. You can see my rants about it going back to when GTA Online first launched on PS3. I knew going in with the PC version there would be some bumps and bruises, but the game is too much fun (especially with friends) to ignore.

For the most part, Rockstar delivered. The game runs well for the majority of people. Unfortunately they seem to be having some random technical issues as most of my friends have unique issues.

This doesn't make me a weak-willed enabler. It means I enjoy playing great games with friends and can make my own choice of what to do with my money.

11. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 11:50 Krovven

Just want to add that if this were indeed a data breach with Rockstar, this would not be limited to PC customers, which is currently seems to be. Console (only) users would be having the same problem in larger numbers. And as I said in one of the other threads, this doesn't seem to be widespread but rather a small number compared to the amount of Social Club users they actually have across 5 platforms.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
18. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 23, 2015, 11:38 Krovven

Jonjonz wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 07:45:
Given how the whole TW series has been in a downward spiral, I see yet another failure looming here. Warhammer games seemed doomed, companies seem to think that buying the IP is all it takes, and sadly it is enough to sell a few boxes in the short run, at least until word gets out on the street about how bad the game really is. I love the Warhammer IP, its a shame so few titles do it justice.

Why do you consider them a downward spiral?

I think the games have gotten better. I used to hate the early games and have really only started to like them with Shogun 2. But that is still a stretch...I play them very occasionally and usually coop.

The TW games + DLC have just been coming out way too quickly for me to give a crap any more. I've barely played Shogun 2 yet have over 100 hrs played and haven't even touched the DLC that I got for a few $$. I skipped Rome 2 because of the poor launch (but played the free weekend and liked it a lot) and I just got it for free with a new computer build.

Now we have Atilla and Warhammer on the way and who knows what else...they are just coming out way too fast. It's like they expect it's the only game people play and are moving towards yearly releases with tons of DLC stuffed in between.

Over saturation is the easiest way for me to lose interest in an IP.

9. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 11:26 Krovven

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 10:10:
Well Rockstar sent out a email a month or so ago saying that accounts may have been compromised and to change your password.

Can you copy and paste the email? I just searched and I have no such email. I've also tried searching for info on this and only found 1 link to a site I've never heard of before, who cited no sources on their story.

If this did occur you'd think that the flood of recent "me too" articles on this topic, at least one of the stories would reference this from a few weeks ago.

8. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 11:21 Krovven

Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 08:48:
Why is there even any doubt that this isn't a security breach that's on Rockstar? If it was really just customer stupidity, we'd see this problem with STEAM, Uplay, and Origin accounts too. Nonstop. 24/7. For all eternity.

You know, many people had the "GTA 5 launcher has stopped working" error during release and beyond. How did many (like me) manage to "fix" that? Exactly, by turning off our virus scanner. Maybe there's a connection there. Who can tell.

It does happen, all the time, with every service. Steam has their Shield thing, Blizzard has Authenticator, so doesn't happen as often. The amount this occurs is ramped up every time there is a big new release.

7456 Comments. 373 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo