Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 7408 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
109. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 07:18 Krovven

paid-skyrim-mod-turns-into-a-clusterfuck

Good job Valve...how could nobody have seen shit like this coming?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2015, 07:15 Krovven

shihonage wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:14:
Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:47:
shihonage wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:57:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:35:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:25:
The only thing that significantly reduced any nagging stutter or hitches occasionally that I saw, was disabling the user radio station. (Deleting or moving all the shortcuts out of the user music folder)

Why aren't you running an SSD?

Because SSDs aren't suitable for massive storage yet. One doesn't just put their Steam library on an SSD.

Call me when 2TB+ SSDs become affordable, commonplace, and reliable.

You don't need every game on one drive. Put the most demanding games on the SSD and the rest on your normal drive.

Do you even have 60GB free on your SSD? I don't. And gameS? As in plural? Oh Lawd. Stop pretending this sort of massive file juggling is some kind of convenient solution.

The problem lies with the devs. End of story.

I don't have one yet. But it (500gb SSD) arrives with the new computer next week I hope My Windows 7 currently runs from a 10k rpm 75gb drive that I've had forever. Win7 is less than 40gb. Obviously you would have space issues on a 128gb drive. 250g are getting quite reasonably priced though and the 128's are very cheap.

If you want a 2TB SSD any time soon, I hope you have the cash for it. It's going to be quite awhile before they are reasonably priced.

98. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 23:17 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:11:
Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:53:
Already several mods thy I used for Skyrim are now pay only on Steam and have been removed from Nexus.

How many could you have been using? There are 18 paid mods right now, right? I know the Wet and Cold one has been mentioned, but the other 17 don't look anything whose absence would cripple the game. Surely there's something in the 25,240 still-free mods that could fill the gap?

I'm at work so I can't go through my list of mods right now. I also don't have Skyrim installed at the moment so I'd have to look at my backups. I think I had around 75 mods installed last time I played. It's also only been a few hours. There will be more. Hopefully most reconsider with the backlash.

95. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:58 Krovven

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:22:
Grokk wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:19:
A lot of people are going to get sued for a lot of bullshit over this.

Also, the 24hr refund policy doesn't actually work with the Australian law, so it should be interesting to see how that pans out over time.

On top of that, is a refund really a refund, or does it get converted into steam credit?

I'm sure there's a whole lot of legal jargon typed up somewhere that explains all of this and effectively allows Valve/Bethesda to avoid any kind of wrongdoing.

Could be an interesting few days, as the venting rage starts to dissipate and the really interesting thoughts/ideas around this begin to unfold and gain momentum.

Interesting ideas you mean like taking mods that are no longer supported by authors who maybe went to do other things in live and releasing those mods as yourelf claiming to be author and reapin the benefits? Ye, further mass dcma takedowns and considering in that case if anyone files a suit over copyrights since bethseda takes most of the revenue does that mean they can get sued for it?

People have already posted mods for sale that they are not the author of and had no association with. What's to stop me from grabbing an abandoned mod that still works and throwing it up for sale and profiting from it?

The percentage split is ridiculous and furthers my opinion that Bethesda are greedy bastards. Mod made their shell of a game fun to play. Without mods I would never have bothered.

94. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:53 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:35:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:25:
1. Mods in the past could be improved by someone other than the original owner and no one cared. That collaborative freedom will be gone.

I feel like this isn't true at all. That modders and warez groups are two factions often absurdly territorial and possessive over other people putting their names on their work. Like, message board drama dialed up to 12.

It's absolutely true. Mods get abandoned and continued on by others all the time. Many mods are worked on by dozens of people over years. Some come and go. Who gets paid?

Like Greenlight, this looked good on paper but reality is its gonna be a cluster fuck.
Already several mods thy I used for Skyrim are now pay only on Steam and have been removed from Nexus. I only use Nexus as Workshop is a pain to manage more than a handful of mods.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2015, 21:47 Krovven

shihonage wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:57:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 17:35:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 13:25:
The only thing that significantly reduced any nagging stutter or hitches occasionally that I saw, was disabling the user radio station. (Deleting or moving all the shortcuts out of the user music folder)

Why aren't you running an SSD?

Because SSDs aren't suitable for massive storage yet. One doesn't just put their Steam library on an SSD.

Call me when 2TB+ SSDs become affordable, commonplace, and reliable.

You don't need every game on one drive. Put the most demanding games on the SSD and the rest on your normal drive.

News Comments > Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours
19. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 21:04 Krovven

ViRGE wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:13:
Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 11:50:
Just want to add that if this were indeed a data breach with Rockstar, this would not be limited to PC customers, which is currently seems to be. Console (only) users would be having the same problem in larger numbers. And as I said in one of the other threads, this doesn't seem to be widespread but rather a small number compared to the amount of Social Club users they actually have across 5 platforms.
Would there be any point in stealing console accounts though? PC accounts get you the game, AFAIK console accounts do not.

That's true. But if they already have a copy of the game, then it would still allow them to use your account. Target for hackers that get banned to not have to pay to continue on.

News Comments > GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups
24. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 12:02 Krovven

NamecaF wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 11:41:
InBlack wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 07:58:
The real question is how many of those that got burned by Rockstar's support (in addition to already having an unplayable product) will turn around and buy (or even worse, preorder) the very next thing Rockstar announces, without batting an eyelid.

I dont think any other industry in the world has better, loyal or more forgetful customers, most of us gamers are ready and willing to buy any old piece of shit in a box (or a digital download) just WOW us and HYPE us and we will give you our soul...

It's quite pathetic, but when you think about the origins of our escapism hobby, it makes a lot of sense.

I saw this coming a mile away and said as much a month or so ago and got poo-pooed by all the fan-boys on here.

Rockstar's arrogance and consistent lack of respect for their paying customers should not be rewarded! Like I said last time they wont ever be seeing another red cent from me.

All you other forgetful/weak-willed enablers either need to vote with your wallets too or else suck it up, stop complaining and realise you're not helping the situation or yourselves by continuing to buy their games and show them that it's ok to treat their customers like this.

Yet I still have gotten more value per dollar with GTA V than almost any other game I own and I've bought the PS3 and PC versions at full price. Rockstar Support sucks. You can see my rants about it going back to when GTA Online first launched on PS3. I knew going in with the PC version there would be some bumps and bruises, but the game is too much fun (especially with friends) to ignore.

For the most part, Rockstar delivered. The game runs well for the majority of people. Unfortunately they seem to be having some random technical issues as most of my friends have unique issues.

This doesn't make me a weak-willed enabler. It means I enjoy playing great games with friends and can make my own choice of what to do with my money.

11. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 11:50 Krovven

Just want to add that if this were indeed a data breach with Rockstar, this would not be limited to PC customers, which is currently seems to be. Console (only) users would be having the same problem in larger numbers. And as I said in one of the other threads, this doesn't seem to be widespread but rather a small number compared to the amount of Social Club users they actually have across 5 platforms.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
18. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 23, 2015, 11:38 Krovven

Jonjonz wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 07:45:
Given how the whole TW series has been in a downward spiral, I see yet another failure looming here. Warhammer games seemed doomed, companies seem to think that buying the IP is all it takes, and sadly it is enough to sell a few boxes in the short run, at least until word gets out on the street about how bad the game really is. I love the Warhammer IP, its a shame so few titles do it justice.

Why do you consider them a downward spiral?

I think the games have gotten better. I used to hate the early games and have really only started to like them with Shogun 2. But that is still a stretch...I play them very occasionally and usually coop.

The TW games + DLC have just been coming out way too quickly for me to give a crap any more. I've barely played Shogun 2 yet have over 100 hrs played and haven't even touched the DLC that I got for a few $$. I skipped Rome 2 because of the poor launch (but played the free weekend and liked it a lot) and I just got it for free with a new computer build.

Now we have Atilla and Warhammer on the way and who knows what else...they are just coming out way too fast. It's like they expect it's the only game people play and are moving towards yearly releases with tons of DLC stuffed in between.

Over saturation is the easiest way for me to lose interest in an IP.

9. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 11:26 Krovven

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 10:10:
Well Rockstar sent out a email a month or so ago saying that accounts may have been compromised and to change your password.

Can you copy and paste the email? I just searched and I have no such email. I've also tried searching for info on this and only found 1 link to a site I've never heard of before, who cited no sources on their story.

If this did occur you'd think that the flood of recent "me too" articles on this topic, at least one of the stories would reference this from a few weeks ago.

8. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 11:21 Krovven

Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 08:48:
Why is there even any doubt that this isn't a security breach that's on Rockstar? If it was really just customer stupidity, we'd see this problem with STEAM, Uplay, and Origin accounts too. Nonstop. 24/7. For all eternity.

You know, many people had the "GTA 5 launcher has stopped working" error during release and beyond. How did many (like me) manage to "fix" that? Exactly, by turning off our virus scanner. Maybe there's a connection there. Who can tell.

It does happen, all the time, with every service. Steam has their Shield thing, Blizzard has Authenticator, so doesn't happen as often. The amount this occurs is ramped up every time there is a big new release.

News Comments > GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups
5. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 20:55 Krovven

Rockstar is handling this poorly. It's highly unlikely they had a breach otherwise this would be more widespread. If an individual has a keylogger on their system (or has had at any time), it's not going to matter if it's a unique key.

But hanging up on people? That's just bad. I'm not entirely surprised though as Rockstar has really poor support.

Console accounts are just as much of a target as the accounts can be tested on the websites for those services.

Might be a good idea to turn the Rockstar mobile app into an Authenticator.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 22, 2015, 18:08 Krovven

Leper wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 14:06:
I don't understand how this is different from showing sporting events in bars.

The sporting events have advertising. Even with a game like soccer that has few commercials, the advertising is always there on the field. With GoT or a DVD for that matter, revenue needs to be collected in other ways. GoT with commercials anyone?

Seems like a better way for HBO to go about this would be to make agreements with the establishments to have a cover charge that goes straight to HBO ($5?). The establishment benefits from the food and drink sales. HBO gets good PR, probably gains some subs from it, etc, rather than driving fans apart.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide
32. Re: Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide Apr 22, 2015, 17:35 Krovven

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 17:25:
gravity wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 16:54:
siapnar wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 15:31:
I don't have any custom music Quinn, so that can't be the problem.

It's very, very slight, the stuttering.

I think I'll try giving dx 10.1 a go tonight and see what happens. I'll try disabling soft shadows, too.

I run with Nvidia enabled Vsync. Seems to be fine compared to ingame Vsync but I'll try that again

Do let me know what you come across. I highly suggest trying just the DX 10.1 downgrade first. Keep in mind you'll lose ALL grass visuals (entirely). I'm willing to do without, until I can find a better solution, or they discuss a fix/patch.

Shit if 10.1 improves frames, just think how fast a DX9 version would run, right?

On my system I tried 10.1 and it improves a little with other settings down, but not much. I can run it just as well in 11 with a few of those settings turned up.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide
30. Re: Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide Apr 22, 2015, 17:15 Krovven

jomisab wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 12:43:
NegaDeath wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 12:38:
siapnar wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 12:00:
Have any of you noticed a specific setting that cause fps drops or judder?

Advanced distance scaling seems to do this for me even if set low on the slider.
Mind you, I have no other advanced options enabled.

GTX 970 here as well

I've only noticed the in-game v-sync cripples performance on my 970 while forcing vsync from the nvidia control panel works fine. Otherwise settings are at or near high.

Very strange. I'm running 970 SLI, and the in-game vsync makes everything extremely smooth.

I'm on an older computer at the moment. 3.0ghz Q9650 with 4gb ram and AMD 6970 2gb and this was my experience. I turned off FXAA and turned on MXAA 2x, turned on vsync and the game is much smoother (including minimal mouse lag) than if I change any of those three settings...until the game runs out of ram.

I can change most graphics settings with little to no FPS change, other than resolution. Changing the resolution has the biggest impact on framerate. The game is still very cpu dependent, just not as much so as GTA IV.

New computer is on it's way...they are just waiting for the back ordered ram.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patched
37. removed Apr 22, 2015, 16:32 Krovven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 23, 2015, 06:54.

News Comments > Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen
32. Re: Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen Apr 21, 2015, 19:16 Krovven

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 18:54:
Krovven wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 14:24:
Actually there is a lot of useful stats tracking, crew management, and at least on consoles for now all the user made jobs are managed from SC. There are plenty more little things, but these are a few of the big ones. I'd no sooner like to remove all of this than remove Steam and all of its features.
The issue is that it's mandatory. I have no doubt that many of those features are useful to a lot of players but when they're forced upon everybody it's a problem. I'm sure a lot of people would like a free blowjob when they buy a dishwasher but those that don't shouldn't have to endure a toothless shemale whore gnawing on their lovestick.

Exaggerated analogy that doesn't really fit. Similar to Battlelog it removes cumbersome database heavy info from the game and puts it in a place that's not going to bloat the client.

Having to sign in to a network to play a game is nothing new and the majority now. While I accept that some don't like that, that's reality now. At least with this there are many benefits to the service that enhance the game.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video
53. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 21, 2015, 15:11 Krovven

Quinn wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 04:40:
How often can you be the leader of the same heist? 2 days ago I've been leading my very first heist, and my friend and I wanted to do it again the moment we were finished. However, I didn't find any option to do this whatsoever.

It's very hard to find any information about this on the internet. I cannot believe that you can only complete a heist as a leader once. Does each heist has a cooldown, then? Of a few days, maybe?

If someone can shine some light on this, it'd be highly appreciated.

I believe the option is in the Online section of the Esc menu. Host a job, choose Heists.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2015, 07:14.

News Comments > Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen
28. Re: Rockstar Social Club Accounts Stolen Apr 21, 2015, 14:24 Krovven

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 11:35:
nin wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 10:24:
I was under the impression it's being used for GTA online. Is that not the case?
Multiplayer games don't require an online account, so that's no excuse. It's only required for marketing (to flog you more shit) or for advertising (whoring out your personal information for their profit).

Actually there is a lot of useful stats tracking, crew management, and at least on consoles for now all the user made jobs are managed from SC. There are plenty more little things, but these are a few of the big ones. I'd no sooner like to remove all of this than remove Steam and all of its features.

And I don't seem to recall ever being flogged shit or even advertised to on SC. So not sure what you are talking about there.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2015, 14:30.

7408 Comments. 371 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo