Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6817 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > L4D2 Still Free For Now
6. Re: L4D2 Still Free For Now Dec 27, 2013, 04:14 Krovven

InBlack wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 04:10:
Although I own L4D, and played quite a bit of it, I never got into the second game. It kind of felt like a ripoff to me. I think it was less than a year between the two games and a lot of people who switched later complained that the gameplay of L4D2 was not nearly as nuanced or balanced as the first game.

I hope they bring back some of the special feeling in the third game.

I don't know who told you the 2nd game was not balanced. As far as Versus goes, it's far more balanced with the introduction of the Spitter and Charger. This prevented survivors from just stacking into a corner and staying there to defend.

Nobody I know ever wanted to play L4D1 over L4D2 largely because of this. Left 4 Dead 1 doesn't even show up on the Steam Stats page...because everyone plays the better game...L4D2. L4D2 (prior to being released for Free) still averaged I think it was about 8k-10k concurrent players.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 00:09 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 00:03:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 23:46:
You know, I hear people talking about Spelunky all the time. I never owned a Nintendo, and don't really much like platformers. That being said, I am having fun with Rogue Legacy even though I'm not getting much further beyond the castle. Just wondering why people talk about it all the time, I guess, and if I'd like it.

Well it is randomly generated like RL, which is one of my GoTY, so you may like that aspect of it. It is a challenging game. I don't get very far, but I usually fall too far or forget about those damn poison darts..... Find the loot, find the girl, find the gold statue, get to the end in a certain amount of time. Don't die. Wash rinse repeat.

I have it on the Vita as well as PC. It is a nice break from everything else, and you can't beat the price.

I've got it on Vita as well and it is a fun game...but I suck so much, I can't get passed 1-3 without dying. Then I have to start over...

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2013, 18:46 Krovven

nin wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 17:05:
mag wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 17:04:
I really really want to play Anno 2070, but I refuse to buy games with crappy DRM. Sigh.

Thought it all got patched out, except for the uplay shit?

edit: Huh, I see Tages listed, but thought that was gone?

edit again: looks like it's still there

It is still there, but it was significantly changed way back in January 2012.

ubisoft-bluebyte-changes-anno-2070-drm

Post on Steam forums with activation details

You start off with three activations, in addition to the one you use up one in your initial installation. So technically an uninstalled copy of Anno has 4 activations.
Unlimited OS reinstalls
Unlimited GFX changes/installs
Unlimited RAM changes/installs
Upgrading a system
As you usually replace the CPU and an accompanying new architecture mobo, and maybe throw in a new SSD, all of this counts as one activation used up. The new GFX card and RAM is ignored.
Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again.

News Comments > Boxing Day Consolidation
7. Re: Boxing Day Consolidation Dec 26, 2013, 18:42 Krovven

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/26/playstation-plus-january-preview/

Bioshock Infinite free for PS+ in January...among others.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
64. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 14:16 Krovven

Quboid wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:03:
Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 12:59:
What they should have done is give this away during the last 3 hours of the sale. Not right smack in the middle.

They should put the extra load on the servers when people are checking out the last deals and when people can't just drop back in later?

I was about to say the same thing. Having it at the end of the sale would make no sense.

Seriously the downtime was inconsequential to me. Good lord i wasnt able to buy anything for a few hours! It was fixed and back up before the set of Flash Sales had changed and the downtime didnt seem to effect the majority of folks from playing games. People also have another week to get their purchases in.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
15. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 25, 2013, 18:08 Krovven

Alamar wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 17:57:
I considered getting it a while back, but it looks mainly coop, and I didn't have anyone to play with...

Versus mode is the best part of L4D.

News Comments > Hello Games Flooded
6. Re: Hello Games Flooded Dec 25, 2013, 17:40 Krovven

This game looks pretty cool!

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Dec 25, 2013, 15:17 Krovven

The load on Steam has been fine until L4D2 being made free today.
Didn't even have a problem accessing Steam in the first hour of the first day of the sale.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
79. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2013, 03:18 Krovven

Jerykk, stop trying to tell me what I want.

You don't seem to want to comprehend one message to the next, so I'm not going to bother continuing to repeat myself. You are against a morality system, consequences for player actions and unwilling to listen to anything that involves ideas along those lines, that much is clear. So I'm wasting my time discussing it with you.

There are two things in life that prevent most humans from killing eachother and taking what they want. Morality and the consequences if caught. In games, these things to out the window. Most people will do whatever they can get away with because of this. I'm sorry this simple concept is lost on you.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Consolidation
6. Re: Xim4 Dec 24, 2013, 15:26 Krovven

Snow in GTAO for just one day, being Xmas day? That's just lame. I think most people are going to be a little busy Xmas day. They could have at least done the snow for the week.

I won't get to see it, because the devs are stupid. Love the game, but they have done a piss poor job handling many things about GTAO.

72. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2013, 06:37 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 02:52:
So basically, you want an open-world, massively multiplayer co-op zombie survival game with no PvP. That could work, though I have to wonder how much threat zombies would pose in the long run.

Sigh, it's like talking to a brick wall. I've already said several times that I don't want to completely remove PvP from the equation. But the games offered currently have no consequences for just killing random people along with no benefit of random people working together. Therefore I may as well just play any number of shooters if I want to PvP.

I truly do find it amusing, how people are so defensive of their survival game PvP. How precious it seems to be to them that they don't even want to see alternative games and ideas instead of all these copy and paste jobs of DayZ. With all of them, including DayZ, being very amateurish and really none of them being very good or even completed.

The discussion is going on many websites and forums currently, with most defenders of PvP not even being open to other possibilities.
And a whole lot of stories from the PvPers saying "I tried to play nice and work with others, but I was just killed by them." Then they wonder why folks want to see something different.

70. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2013, 01:35 Krovven

Redmask wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 22:51:
What was the reason for the other player to kill that person if all they had was a "rock" as you said before? No reason at all, they didn't even have equipment to steal, so yes, I call that griefing. In this type of game, if you are killing another player simply because they are in view on your screen, that equates to griefing.

You can call it that but that's not griefing. Griefing is intentionally harassing other players using the game mechanics in unintended ways and it doesn't always result in death. Players don't need a reason to kill other players in a game with PvP combat because the game isn't bound by moralistic rules unless expressly written into the game code.

I don't see how a dev can include both PvP and coop while also enforcing some arbitrary set of rules to protect people from perceived unfair deaths in a survival game. The former seems to go against the spirit of the latter. Devs would be better off just making a separate coop survival game to serve that market or have entirely separate game modes. I think that's already happening with games like 7 Days to Die so I think those players will be served anyway.

That's your definition.

Wikipedia says "A griefer derives pleasure primarily or exclusively from the act of annoying other users, and as such is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals."

Urban Dictionary has their own list of definitions. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=griefer

But I don't really care what you want to define it as, because there is no set definition as it's a term created by gamers and doesn't exist in the proper English dictionary. Most of those definitions apply partially or in whole to what I described.

But I'm not really interested in debating semantics. The point is, there are plenty of people that do not want to always play games that way and we'd like to see some alternatives. If I wanted to to play PvP or blatantly kill other players (or be killed) in games for no reason, I've already got dozens and dozens of other games to do that.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2013, 01:43.

News Comments > On Sale
34. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 23:57 Krovven

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 23:48:
Maybe I'm missing your point. Viewership? Front page of Steam. On Specials List for bargain shoppers. Draws them in for the cheaper vanilla price without the download content.

Yep you are. Flash Sales are more prominent on the front page of Steam than the $10 category at the bottom on the page.

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 23:48:
Odd, sounds like we are saying the same thing, but according to you I'm complaining.

Maybe try re-reading what I said. I didn't say you were complaining. I said if you want it to change you need to complain...as in to the Publisher to get it changed for future sales. /facepalm

All you can do is complain. It worked to get the DLC discounted for Van Helsing...but I really doubt a company as big as Bethesda is going to care.

News Comments > On Sale
32. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 23:53 Krovven

Well THQ was a big participant, and they are gone. So that's one less big publisher and their games missing from the mix. EA of course pushes Origin, and only stuff they have on Steam is old...and they have had sales this time around. BF2 was just on sale for like $2.50 as was Dragons Age complete for $7.50.

Ubisoft has had Farcry 3 at $7.50, along with other games of theirs on sale.

Activision rarely deeply discounts anything.

Still 10 days left in the sale. Lots of time for other stuff to get discounted.

News Comments > On Sale
29. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 23:34 Krovven

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 23:03:
Best I can see is they still sell vanilla Skyrim for Flash sales (currently active) so they can be listed in the, Under $10 category to lure in the unsuspecting 'word of mouth' customers. Also, of course they want current Skyrim owners to buy Legendary, so they are holding back 75% off sales on dlc.

How would it being in the $10 category improve it's public view over being on the front page as a Flash Sale? Makes no sense.

It's the same scam as a lot of other companies have been doing lately. Massively discount the base game, leaving the DLC with a small discount, or none at all and hoping people that only buy the base game, or only have the base game already will turn around and drop $20 for Legendary or go for the DLC's Individually.

All you can do is complain. It worked to get the DLC discounted for Van Helsing...but I really doubt a company as big as Bethesda is going to care.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 19:33 Krovven

nin wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 15:02:
Parias wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:52:
nin wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:17:
I tried to play through it twice, and both times lost interest once it shifted to a "RTS"...

Fair enough - like I said, I guess I can see how some gamers may have found it a bit iffy, but I didn't consider that enough to make the game bad (quite the opposite in fact).

Just wanted to throw my own opinion in as BL definitely isn't a universally-bad game - it just depends on what you expect out of the gameplay as I really had a lot of fun with it.

I didn't notice todays Steam price until after I typed that (only read your comments, initially). I will say that for $2, it's hard to go wrong with any game. Even if you don't like it, the most you're out is that $2...

Interestingly enough, I bought the game on PS3 a few years ago, played it for a couple hours, turned it off and never went back and traded/sold the game. Someone described the later gameplay as similar to Sacrifice...I never got to this point. Maybe if they had started the game this way, instead of a hack and slash, I would have kept playing.

Sacrifice is such an amazingly underrated game, grab it for $2.50 on Steam if you haven't played it and like quirky RTS games. Watch a gameplay video first before you know what you are getting into though.
No thumbs down reviews on Steam...

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2013, 19:42.

68. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 19:24 Krovven

goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 18:34:
By the way, if you want to completely eliminate griefing try playing Rust on a pvp OFF server.

No thanks. Rust looks like absolute crap and zero fun to play.

I'm not interested in doing mundane work tasks in a game. "Somewhere between Dead Island and DayZ", does not equal building shacks in the wilderness with a bunch of naked dudes running around killing chickens with rocks.

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 19:13 Krovven

goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 18:26:
I hear it all the time, someone logs in, says they've played for 15 minutes gotten killed twice that that they hate this dumb game and leave. Happened in rust, dayz, etc. People in the forums would say they've been griefed, people would ask how, they would say they were minding their own business and someone killed them. Would you say they've been griefed? I wouldn't.

What was the reason for the other player to kill that person if all they had was a "rock" as you said before? No reason at all, they didn't even have equipment to steal, so yes, I call that griefing. In this type of game, if you are killing another player simply because they are in view on your screen, that equates to griefing.

goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 18:26:
Not sure where you are going with your last sentence. I SEE the cause and effect and am discussing portions of it so???

Schools in... CAUSE - player A gets killed repeatedly by other players while they are trying to explore and fight off zombies. EFFECT - player A learns to shoot other players on sight. Vicious cycle ensues where it's extremely rare for random players to help one another or work together.

Griefing is rampant in most games that players have means to grief. Give someone an environment that has zero repercussion for it and that's what they will do all the time.

Considering this needs to be explained to you speaks volumes. But I'm guessing you are one of the people that shoots other players on sight.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some people to comprehend that not everyone wants these kinds of mechanics. And that we'd like to see another game with different mechanics, more focused on coop.

64. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 18:10 Krovven

goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:16:
harlock most of the people complaining about being "Griefed" have not actually been griefed, they've just gotten killed, some of them ONE TIME and are cry babies.

You'd do better with your opinions to not claim to know what others have experienced.

goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:16:
Also, many of the people who say "hey some dude killed me and all i had was my rock" do the EXACT same dang thing as soon as THEY get a gun.

Gee, I wonder why? Congrats on coming to the same conclusion as the others here, but not being able to see the obvious cause and effect.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 04:09 Krovven

Well to me it would be the same genre, with different mechanics. I don't want to change DayZ, WarZ, Nether, or the others like it. They are all the same basically. I want a new game, that shares mechanics, but alters others and brings in new ones.

Kinda like some people like RTS's along the vein of Starcraft, C&C, etc, whereas I like RTS's like Sacrifice and Dungeon Keeper 2. With Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 borrowing from both styles.

Survival games don't all need to be cookie cutter with different graphics.

6817 Comments. 341 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo