Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6759 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
64. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 18:10 Krovven

goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:16:
harlock most of the people complaining about being "Griefed" have not actually been griefed, they've just gotten killed, some of them ONE TIME and are cry babies.

You'd do better with your opinions to not claim to know what others have experienced.

goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:16:
Also, many of the people who say "hey some dude killed me and all i had was my rock" do the EXACT same dang thing as soon as THEY get a gun.

Gee, I wonder why? Congrats on coming to the same conclusion as the others here, but not being able to see the obvious cause and effect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 04:09 Krovven

Well to me it would be the same genre, with different mechanics. I don't want to change DayZ, WarZ, Nether, or the others like it. They are all the same basically. I want a new game, that shares mechanics, but alters others and brings in new ones.

Kinda like some people like RTS's along the vein of Starcraft, C&C, etc, whereas I like RTS's like Sacrifice and Dungeon Keeper 2. With Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 borrowing from both styles.

Survival games don't all need to be cookie cutter with different graphics.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 02:25 Krovven

Redmask wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 23:24:
Players should learn not to lone wolf in a survival game anyway.

The problem is, not everyone has friends that can always play at the same time. And joining these games as a lone wolf is trial and error in finding people that wont stab you in the back when they feel like they don't want to work together with you any more.

I seem to recall a video of DayZ, while amusing, also brings home my point. A group of players "helps" a lone guy, saves him. Tell him to join them in the helicopter and proceed to fly him to their "outpost" on a small island. He gets off the chopper and then they leave him there, with no way off, or they killed him and took his gear. I don't recall exactly.

Like I said in another thread. I'm interested in something between Dead Island and DayZ.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 02:12 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 01:00:
Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves.

As I already said...people have those types of survival games available to them already. Why are you against having other options for people that want something different, that's not largely a griefers paradise?

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2013, 02:18.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 23:02 Krovven

Redmask wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 22:08:
Griefing is a side effect of having Player vs Player combat, you cannot get rid of it without getting rid of PvP which effectively guts a major part of those games.

Maybe not, but you can penalize it with good design. I've already posted in another thread an idea that could be expanded upon, but has the basis to lead to fun gameplay while limiting the unnecessary PvP.

"Something that would be a lot of fun, is if a player loses their humanity with each player they kill, becoming weaker each time, eventually becoming a monster themselves and playing as that monster until they are killed. There would need to be more to it, providing a way for players to gain humanity by peacefully interacting with players, etc. "

It's not like zombie AI presents any real difficulty to players anyway, the whole point is the human element which is unpredictable.

There are plenty of solo games that have challenging zombies. Nether doesn't even use zombies, specifically. They are these warping rage monsters. You telling me that they can't make monsters that have super-speed and can warp challenging enough for gamers without having PvP? I call BS on that.

You can't have meaningful PvP interaction without risk and fights are rarely fair, people just don't like being on the losing side. No one said they like griefing or microtransactions, people just like PvP.... You can't have fair, honorable combat in a PvP game without effectively neutering the whole experience. There are many people who play those games precisely because they don't want to work together with others and you can't really force them to do so.

Again...I'm going to repeat myself, for like the 10th time...I'm not suggesting removing PvP from the equation, or "neutering" it. If devs can come up with ways to award a person for killing other players, they can come up with ways to award a person for helping and working together with other players. I can think of plenty of ways just off the top of my head. Any devs want to hire me, I'd be happy to contribute to that design.

Once you start putting in numerous safe zones, forcing players to abide by engagement rules and trying to over balance combat you end up watering down the whole thing and people lose interest.

I never suggested safe zones or balancing combat. There are ways however to actually have drawbacks for killing people for no reason, or award them for working with other players.

There are numerous games on the market to accommodate that sort of play style already, I like that these games are branching out and experimenting more. It reminds me of the forced PvP and coop in the Souls games for the PS3.

No there aren't, that's the point here. The "survival" genre of games are basically all the same and nobody has tried to do anything different, with games like Nether basically copying feature by feature of WarZ, which both were basically just doing what DayZ did and trying to get their games to market before the stand-alone DayZ.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 21:23 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 20:00:
Redmask wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 19:36:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 18:52:
The problem with DayZ type games is the non stop player griefing. Just takes everything that is supposed to be fun out of it.

The threat of humans is the whole reason to play, the zombies are trivialized once you adjust. You can't remove that tension from the gameplay, the potential for PvP and cooperation are why people play in the first place instead of just picking up a single player zombie game. Build up a community of people and kill the griefers or just learn the ins and outs so you know how to avoid them.

This. If you arbitrarily limit PvP, you ruin the very thing that makes DayZ and its ilk compelling.

If your survival game isn't difficult enough without blatant PvP griefing, then you need to make design changes to your game.

You guys keep arguing that the game needs PvP. You keep missing the point. I'm not saying get rid of PvP. I'm saying there needs to be reasons for players to work together and not just kill each other on sight.

The other thing contributing to the problems, at least games like WarZ and Nether is the real money micro-transactions, especially in a game you've already paid to play. But that is really a problem in far too many games these days.

If you are ok with the PvP griefing and micro-transactions in these games, great. You've got several games to choose from to get that. There are plenty of people that are not interested in these things, and we'll choose to hold our money and game time until a survival game comes along that has some good game design for coop, but also allowing for meaningful PvP interaction.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 17:04 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 16:51:
If nothing else, you can get 15 minutes of gameplay footage and discussion of issues it has. Skip to the last couple minutes for a quicker wrap-up of his impressions.

Aye, even at the 7 minute mark, that guy talks about how because it's so similar to WarZ, it will probably end up being the same, where players simply resort to shooting each other on sight because there is no reason not to. There are benefits for killing players. There are no benefits for not killing players.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 16:57 Krovven

While the term reskin may be a little inaccurate, it's pretty obvious they copied many features/functions directly while making zero attempt to improve upon them, or even do them in their own way.

And as discussed in the other thread, his criticism of the PvP in these games is entirely valid. What's the point of spending time building a character to survive the zombie apocalypse, only to be sniped by someone picking off other players for the hell of it with zero consequence?

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:13 Krovven

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 13:51:
I was pretty close to picking up Nether but decided to get Far Cry 3 instead. The only other thing I picked up during this sale was the Warframe initiate pack for $10.

Don't buy Nether...incase you missed it the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIWLJIG-sk

News Comments > On Sale
36. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2013, 13:27 Krovven

Cutters comment that I took issue with was that all the vendors were "dialing in the sales" this year. If he had not added this ignorant comment I probably wouldn't have replied in the first place. But I replied with the factual info to prove his statement wrong, that no, sales were not being "dialed in" and many prices were the cheapest some games had yet been.

Today his comment is that maybe it's too soon for the games on his wishlist to go on too big of a discount. Now we have some logic setting in. If only he had said that in the first place...

Looking at his Wishlist, there are several games that he could have or could still get at their cheapest prices. 2 of which were on sale yesterday, were both noted as being the cheapest they had yet been...yet he did not buy them.

I haven't bought anything this sale yet myself, but I have my own reasons for it. My computer is getting too old to handle some games (that's why they are at the bottom of my Wishlist instead of already purchased). Also because I haven't been working, because I have tons of other un-played games, and I've set a budget of what's in my Steam Wallet (roughly $10 - more cards more money). So I'm being picky. But I don't think the sales have been bad. I probably could have spent $50 already if I had a decent computer and was working.

We also knew 3 months ago from the leaked email, that the Autumn Sale and the Xmas Sale would be the same prices. With the Xmas Sale being longer, we'd probably just see more games participating in the Daily and Flash sales.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2013, 13:50.

News Comments > On Sale
38. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2013, 04:54 Krovven

While I'm not opposed to player versus player interactions, it is possible to make a game that penalizes players for straight up griefing. Without some major deterrence, most players will simply devolve to shoot first PvP instead of working together. So I think we are saying the same thing.

My understandings of the current games in this genre, they do not provide an incentive for cooperation.

Something that would be a lot of fun, is if a player loses their humanity with each player they kill, becoming weaker each time, eventually becoming a monster themselves and playing as that monster until they are killed. There would need to be more to it, providing a way for players to gain humanity by peacefully interacting with players, etc.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 22, 2013, 02:54 Krovven

Even better is the MS tweet linked in the comments of that PS image...

http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/VMPQKBm.jpg

MS attempted to tweet a fake question for their support to answer and forgot to change accounts.

News Comments > On Sale
26. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 21:12 Krovven

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 21:07:
Dev wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 20:31:
Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 20:17:
Dev wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:47:
Incidentally, at $12 with coupon, that makes it lowest ever for the lego marvel game.

Where has Dev been?
Hey, thanks for noticing

Been busy with life stuff. I still often read blues, I just can't always find the time to read the comments (yes I generally read all of them in a thread when I'm interested in responding) and respond.

You typically don't complain when you make comments and you come across as intelligent. That's why I noticed your absence (or reduction in post frequency).

Howard and Raj bromance budding here?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2013, 21:08 Krovven

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:18:
I'm not a kook

Yes, yes you are.

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:18:
you're just a self-centered, greedy prick. Learn the difference asshole.

The difference between you being a kook and him being a self centered greedy prick? You make zero sense. Which I suppose is normal for you.

News Comments > On Sale
36. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 15:44 Krovven

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 13:18:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 12:24:
That Worth A Buy? video nails it. Subscribed.

Yep, game is a piece of shit

Yep that video saved me from wasting money. I've removed Nether from my Wishlist. I bought State of Decay during the Autumn Sale, but it runs like crap on my system. So I can't even speak for how that survival game is. The minimum specs they list, really shouldn't be the minimum specs.

Between WarZ, Infestation, DayZ and now Nether...the idea of a good/fun survival zombie game is beginning to look like it won't happen. I'd like something between Dead Island and DayZ gameplay wise, without microtransactions, without player griefing...the first to do it, will get my money.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
52. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 21, 2013, 15:35 Krovven

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 14:57:
You didn't mention the weird leashing that goes on with the coop, you get too far from another player and you're teleported over to them which is really jarring. I wish it had more leeway, my fiance was having a lot of trouble with that.

Wow, yet another bad design decision by Acti-Blizz for D3. Why would you not go with a split-screen for this type of game? They have a blind captain at the helm of their ship...

I've been playing Grim Dawn early access lately and feel like its the most promising ARPG yet, it hits all the right notes. It is far from completion unfortunately, at least a year or two off at this rate.

We should be getting Act 2 of GD within a month.

Because splitting the screen 4 times would be a retarded way to play. From videos I've seen the warping when coop people get separated is easily dealt with by staying together, which you are supposed to do anyways. And if you are playing local coop, you can simply talk to the person if you need to go back to pick something up, etc. This is a non-issue if you are playing online.

While I had hoped Grim Dawn ($35 pledge) wouldn't suffer from the same problems that Titan Quest did, it does. The combat is stiff and rather bland. I've shelved it for now and will give it another chance when Act 2 comes out.

I've installed PoE to give it another chance, as it's been a long time (a year or two) since I tried it. I found the combat to be even worse than Grim Dawn. I don't like the skill tree and I don't like all the currency types that take up inventory slots. I'll give it another go, as combat look a lot better, but I'm skeptical.

I've been trying the Van Helsing game lately, and it plays fairly well, but there seems to be zero variation in combat. I didn't appreciate that the Arcane Mage and Thaumaturge class gear was dropping when I didn't own the the DLC for those classes. I had intended to buy them during the Autumn Sale (or the week before when they had a sale on the game), but they screwed the pooch both times and did not discount the DLC. Now that the DLC is on sale, after a lot of people complaining to them, I really don't care and have uninstalled the game.

Torchlight 2...I can't get into it for some reason. I can't explain why. I really enjoyed Torchlight...but was it because there was absolutely no competition at the time?

D3 combat is still the best of all the ARPG's I've played in recent years. High difficulty random coop games have been excellent, when most online games these days are just filled with assholes.

I've been playing D3 again with a friend in Hardcore and having a blast. Just finished Normal...on to Nightmare. I've also checked out the D3 2.0 PTR patch, and it's looking good. I'll be all over Reaper of Souls....now if only they'd send me a beta invite.

News Comments > On Sale
7. removed Dec 21, 2013, 14:33 Krovven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 22, 2013, 08:23.

News Comments > Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks
10. Re: Steam Gifting/Trading Region Locks Dec 20, 2013, 15:09 Krovven

It's kinda hard to blame them from trying to protect their products. But this is one game that has been tagged, let's not freak out over it. Region blocking is nothing new to Steam. The fact that people were able to work around it for many years now, was a bonus.

Using the Chrome Steam Extension, everyone can see that Russian prices are generally 50% less than the US price (despite idiots here blindly posting otherwise and quickly correcting themselves). Some people take advantage of that, ruining it for others.

Take a visit to the Steam Trading forums...there are MANY users that have hundreds/thousands of games in their inventories they are re-selling.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM Next Month
5. Re: CONSORTIUM Next Month Dec 19, 2013, 19:51 Krovven

Asmo wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 19:30:
Valve: "Please don't release a new game during our attempts to sell Left4Dead 2 kthx..."

L4D and L4D2 are my two most played games, behind Civ5, with Skyrim quickly closing the gap considering I just got it a month ago. http://steamcommunity.com/id/krovven/games?tab=all

L4D Versus mode is a lot of fun. Many of us from Blues have a lot of hours playing together. It's a nice change from straight deathmatch shooters. Playing as Infected is the draw for me. Games can vary from slowly beating down the Survivors, killing one off at a time, or getting a quick killing blow with everyone getting their targets.

There are a lot of people in pub games though that really do Rage, blaming everyone and they are usually the problem. Sometimes the enemy team is just really good. But yea, people Rage. Exit>Quick Match is a good way to find a better game.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM Next Month
4. Re: CONSORTIUM Next Month Dec 19, 2013, 19:42 Krovven

Yea, don't want to release when people are looking to spend their money...

Depending on price, I may have grabbed it. I missed out on the Kickstarter and had voted for it on Greenlight.

6759 Comments. 338 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo