Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6811 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
12. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 17:31 Krovven

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:44:
Is Civ 5 any good? I stopped playing a few Civ's ago when my tank got destroyed by archers. Kind of thought that was some real bullshit.

Humble Bundle has the Civilization collection bundled right now. https://www.humblebundle.com/

$15 will get you Civ3, Civ4, Civ5 (with G&K and BNW expansions), Railroads and Ace Patrol. It doesn't seem to state that it's the GOTY edition of Civ5, so I don't know if you get all the smaller DLC's as well.

Civ5 classic is kind of weak, but adding G&K expansion makes the game 10x better and the BNW expansion improves upon that as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
11. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 17:26 Krovven

Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:34:
People play the Civ scenarios?

I enjoyed the WW2 one with Civ 2 but I've barely tried any since then - skirmish all the way. Maybe I should, I don't even know what they consist of.

Up until a couple days ago I hadn't. I think I had tried one or two before, but found them overwhelming not knowing a lot about the game at that point (plus the scenario specific rule changes). Fast forward 2-3 years later and I figured I'd give them a shot having about 500 hours in the game now, beating the game with a number of leaders and several PBEM games ongoing. Over the last few days I've played and beat the Viking, American Civil War and New World scenarios and as mentioned before, now working on the New World Deluxe scenario.

2. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 13:41 Krovven

Weird timing here, I just played and beat the Conquest of the New World scenario yesterday. After finishing it I saw that there was Conquest of the New World Deluxe in my scenario list and assumed it just unlocked after having beat the first one. So I started playing this last night not realizing it was brand new content.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
97. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 23:21 Krovven

Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 23:08:
Someone call the Looking Glass, Ion Storm, and Arkane folks, tell 'em they weren't actually making immersive sims after all.

Immersive Sim isn't a real genre. It's a descriptive phrase coined by Warren Spector that can be applied to the majority of games across multiple actual genres.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
86. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 19:12 Krovven

I'm going to wait and see if they want to charge existing owners $5 for a "directors cut" patch to fix the games biggest problems.

News Comments > Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion
9. Re: Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion Jan 31, 2014, 23:25 Krovven

Task wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 21:39:
Might want to fix that titan fall link

Msg'd Blue on Steam awhile ago about it...he seems to be busy playing FarCry 3

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall Delayed; Preorders Underway
11. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall Delayed; Preorders Underway Jan 29, 2014, 19:05 Krovven

$15 for this...and Kickstarter backers get it for free! Getting a Steam copy of the base game, a DRM free copy and now this expansion all for the $15 for backing it on Kickstarter...such a great deal.

Question is when will I get around to playing it.

News Comments > Valve Beta Streaming Impressions
29. Re: Valve Beta Streaming Impressions Jan 27, 2014, 22:06 Krovven

I wonder if it would be possible to stream to the PS Vita. Might require some crossover work with Sony, but I can't see why it wouldn't be doable.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots
6. Re: Legend of Grimrock II Details and Screenshots Jan 27, 2014, 22:02 Krovven

This looks great! I really liked the first game...although I never bothered to finish it. I think more than anything I got tired of looking at the same dungeon textures level after level.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
83. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 17:00 Krovven

Beamer, you wouldn't consider Ubisoft putting Might and Magic or Ghost Recon Online up for Early Access as shady? Or Starbound, considering the success of Terraria? Early Access is still very new. It won't be long before we start seeing more and more big companies and already successful smaller devs using Early Access, not because they need to, but because they can. As already made clear by some people here, they will think that adding a line of text to the store page somehow absolves those companies from any responsibility after the customer has given their money.

I'll say it one last time, there are benefits and downsides to the program. A lot of people seem to be willing to completely dismiss the downsides with the argument that the customer was warned. Changes need to be made to keep the companies accountable.

82. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 16:46 Krovven

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 11:25:
Krovven wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 06:43:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 06:26:
Krovven wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 04:35:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 01:37:
You have a source for these sales figures and the development budgets of ArmA3 and DayZ?

Yep, Google. You have fingers, use them.

Translation: Due to the possibility and probability of me being wrong, I'm not going to cite my sources. Instead, I'll ask you to go out and try to find the information yourself and then just say you're bad at google when you can't do it.

You were saying? Don't bother taking the foot out of your mouth, it suits you.

At a glance, none of the links you provided show development budgets for Arma3 and DayZ. See the original quote above if you're confused on the sources you need to cite during your second attempt.

Hey... at least you tried.

And you are focusing on "sales and budgets" which is not he point, but rather that DayZ mod massively increased the sales of Arma 2, generating them a lot of revenue to use to develop the stand-alone. A ballpark estimate is easy enough to figure out, and considering a lot of work had already been done on the mod for free...there was a large jumping off point, which they clearly have failed to take advantage of.
But you have no way to refute this, so you attack one meaningless statement instead of the real fact of the matter...which you tend to do a lot of around here.

68. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 08:37 Krovven

Redmask wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 07:41:
Krovven wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 07:25:
What's your point? Does this somehow make it ok to charge people for buggy incomplete games, just because they warned you ahead of time?

Yes it makes it ok. The market will bear it or not. The people were warned. Nothing is wrong with that situation. I don't agree with it so I don't put any money into early access games but that's my choice. No one is forced to do this and they certainly aren't entitled to refunds when they have every warning in the world ahead of the purchase that it is buggy and feature incomplete.

I would love to see early access games go away too but that's really a different discussion and it's different than buying a supposedly feature complete game which is advertised as such.

It's not a different discussion, that's kind of the point. It's all connected. There are many downsides to selling incomplete games with the promise they may one day be complete. Just because they added a little text on the store page (to me) doesn't make it ok. I looked, Early Access games are not applicable for refunds, despite technically being preorders. If the game never even gets out of Early Access, gets cancelled, the game completely changes from what was advertised, etc, etc...too bad. When it comes to "final" release games, consumers have rights, granted most companies do everything they possibly can to prevent you from exercising those rights and most people won't bother. What they are basically saying is you have no rights if you buy an Early Access game, because they put a little text on the store page warning people. BTW, that text is not as upfront on most Early Access game store pages as it is on the DayZ page.

WarZ (aka Infestation) had pricing tiers for preorder, beta, alpha early access. Look how that turned out. People had a shit, the game was removed from Steam briefly, they changed some descriptions and then put it back on Steam. Apparently to this day, in it's "final" state, it's still a buggy feature incomplete mess, despite going through it's own supposed early access public alpha/beta.

Yet, now over a year later, it's being considered perfectly acceptable business model by some for this practice to continue with other games.

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 08:04 Krovven

TotalBiscuit discusses Early Access

One things TB pointed out...

From Rust's store page:
"We haven't totally decided where the game is headed...But we have a plan...so please trust us."

/facepalm

64. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 07:25 Krovven

InBlack wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 06:59:
@Krovven:

Alpha = Buggy, Incomplete, Possibly broken, ADVERTISED AS SUCH!

Release = Buggy, Incomplete, Possibly broken, ADVERTIZED AS NONE OF THESE THINGS!

See the difference??

What's your point? Does this somehow make it ok to charge people for buggy incomplete games, just because they warned you ahead of time?

Don't misunderstand me, if stupid people want to throw their money at companies to be alpha and beta testers, they have every right to do so. It however, doesn't mean I have to agree with it and just keep my mouth shut while stupid people and their money tell game companies that it's ok to charge people to test their games and not allow refunds if they don't like what they preordered.

Just about everyone I know (including myself) was excited at the prospect of Early Access (and Greenlight) when it was put in place. Since then however, people have seen a lot of problems with it and the negative impacts it has.

61. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 06:53 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 06:12:
Krovven wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 00:15:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 22:25:
Ubisoft and BiS aren't even remotely comparable.

I never compared Ubisoft to BIS. They are both however established companies. When it comes to BIS and DayZ, they sold a shit ton of Arma 2 based on the DayZ mod alone, that they never would have sold otherwise. From what I recall, the sales figures are more than easily enough to have funded both Arma 3 and the stand alone DayZ without them having to do Early Access and bleed more money from people.

BIS originally had stated that the DayZ stand-alone alpha would be released by the end of 2012. This was stated in Septemeber 2012. It took them over an entire year for them to release that alpha and get to the point where they are now, which is still nowhere even remotely complete and they still say it will be at least another year before they even get to beta. Meanwhile, they are taking peoples money, despite having raked it in from the massively increased sales of Arma 2. It's fucking ridiculous.

To clarify, my reference to Ubisoft was regarding the established Might and Magic series game that was put on Steam as Early Access. Granted (from what I read) it was released in a much more finished state than most Early Access games. But this doesn't make it any better. If they want people to QA their games, hire people, hire a third party QA company...don't charge people full price and call it a pre-order.

It's one thing to have a pre-order and grant beta access with a few weeks or a month before release...it's entirely something else to charge people $30-$50 (or more in some cases) when a game isn't even feature complete and is a year or more from release.

That's funny, I was pretty sure that people are giving their money to play these games (often throwing it at the screen). But when you disagree with the business model, suddenly it's the evil developers taking it by force, against their will...

Just because people are willing to throw their money around for incomplete games doesn't automatically make it a good thing. Oh the irony with all the complaints from people buying buggy incomplete games, and now it's considered a valid business model to do just that.

As usual, some people can only see things in black & white. No way in hell something can have both positives and negatives and changes ever be made to improve the system. /sacrasm

But hey, why am I surprised when asshats insult someone from expressing their opinion about wanting a refund for a game they didn't like (that is technically a preorder and should be allowed). Nope, people need to tell him how wrong he is for having his own opinion. Fucktards.

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 06:43 Krovven

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 06:26:
Krovven wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 04:35:
You have a source for these sales figures and the development budgets of ArmA3 and DayZ?

Translation: Due to the possibility and probability of me being wrong, I'm not going to cite my sources. Instead, I'll ask you to go out and try to find the information yourself and then just say you're bad at google when you can't do it.

You were saying? Don't bother taking the foot out of your mouth, it suits you.

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 06:42 Krovven

Really Jerykk, I know you aren't stupid...are you just being obtuse on purpose? You don't need to see DayZ development budgets or Arma budgets, or sales figures to see how much DayZ has influenced sales of Arma 2. And if you think BIS has big budgets, you are off your rocker. If they had money they (theoretically) would make better and less buggy pieces of shit games. If they had spent any money on the stand-alone development, it wouldn't have taken them well over a year to get to the point they are now (which is still behind the mod) in development, with no end in sight. Most companies that spend millions upon millions of dollars on game development are frivolous with the money. I've been in one of those companies, I've seen it first hand.

Plenty of these stories out there about how Arma2 sales saw massive increases (to a 3 year old game) after the release of the DayZ mod.

Arma2 Server list majority running DayZ.

Credited for selling over 300,000 copies of Arma 2 in DayZ's first 2 months of release. I see you had linked the same story earlier...what you failed to note was that it was just regarding the first two months after release, not total sales for the last 2 years. That article was written 2 months after the release of the mod.

Not enough? How about this one...

Most of these stories are approaching 2 years old at this point. http://dayzmod.com/ 1,737,741 Unique Players. Do the math.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2014, 07:12.

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 04:35 Krovven

But then the benefit of generating revenue during development would be lost. Without this revenue, development suffers because the developers can't afford to hire more people or are forced to work other jobs to pay the bills.

Thousands of game companies have managed to get funding from other sources for 30 years prior to the invent of Early Access. As I've already shown, companies like Ubisoft and BIS already have the money to fund the development of their games without needing the drip feed from Early Access sales.

There are definitely some benefits for Early Access...there are a lot of negatives as well, but you seem to want to turn a blind eye to them.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 00:15 Krovven

Ubisoft and BiS aren't even remotely comparable.

I never compared Ubisoft to BIS. They are both however established companies. When it comes to BIS and DayZ, they sold a shit ton of Arma 2 based on the DayZ mod alone, that they never would have sold otherwise. From what I recall, the sales figures are more than easily enough to have funded both Arma 3 and the stand alone DayZ without them having to do Early Access and bleed more money from people.

BIS originally had stated that the DayZ stand-alone alpha would be released by the end of 2012. This was stated in Septemeber 2012. It took them over an entire year for them to release that alpha and get to the point where they are now, which is still nowhere even remotely complete and they still say it will be at least another year before they even get to beta. Meanwhile, they are taking peoples money, despite having raked it in from the massively increased sales of Arma 2. It's fucking ridiculous.

To clarify, my reference to Ubisoft was regarding the established Might and Magic series game that was put on Steam as Early Access. Granted (from what I read) it was released in a much more finished state than most Early Access games. But this doesn't make it any better. If they want people to QA their games, hire people, hire a third party QA company...don't charge people full price and call it a pre-order.

It's one thing to have a pre-order and grant beta access with a few weeks or a month before release...it's entirely something else to charge people $30-$50 (or more in some cases) when a game isn't even feature complete and is a year or more from release.

Ultimately, Early Access makes games better.

Your opinion. Not a fact. There are people that thought micro-transactions would be good for games too...

I'm looking forward to the day that an Early Access game/company folds before the game is even complete. Oh, the shit storm it will bring.

If you don't approve of buying unfinished games, simply wait until the games are finished.

Did you read all of what I said? And I've said it before. This is exactly what I do. Doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion on the matter, and that some changes need to be made. One change has already been done, being that Early Access games no longer get listed in New Releases on the front page of Steam, until they release as Final.

Personally I think if they want testing and feedback from the public, the alpha/betas should be free and only charge for preorder a couple months before official release as preorders. OR, allow full refunds on these games up until they are officially released (maybe they already do)...just as Valve already gives refunds on pre-order games.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2014, 00:32.

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 21:23 Krovven

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 18:20:
Jesus, is everybody in a shit mood today? So the Bats didn't like an early access game and asked for a refund. Big fucking deal.

I know, right.

If someone played the DayZ mod and decided to buy the stand-alone, it would be pretty fair of that person to expect the stand-alone to at least be on the same level as where the mod was it development.

Personally, I don't agree with the Early Access policies as they are now and take even greater issue with Early Access games going "on sale". It's one thing to back games on Kickstarter that would have otherwise never been made; versus companies like BIS and Ubisoft that have money to properly develop their games milking Early Access to fund development.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2014, 21:29.

6811 Comments. 341 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo