Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krovven

Real Name Krovven   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Krovven
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Oct 17, 2003, 03:30
Total Comments 6759 (Guru)
User ID 19048

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
56. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 8, 2014, 17:20 Krovven

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:08:
You don't take one look at that thing and recognize the problem with the face buttons? You need to take your hands off not just one side like with a traditional analog setup but both sides to potentially hit multiple face buttons. There is no resistance for movement like a traditional analog input on the left, that is going to be something many people hate. I think a smarter approach here would have been an analog stick on the left for movement and a pad on the right for aiming. The face button placement really needs to move somewhere else too.

I do a lot of gaming and I will definitely try it before passing judgment but I can see problem areas already.

My understanding of those face buttons is they are not intended to be the A/B/X/Y or O/X/^/[]/ buttons on the 360/PS controllers. Those buttons are for the lesser used functions. The buttons on the top, back and buttons functions of the pads themselves provide those functions, allowing you to keep your thumbs on the pads moreso than the current analog sticks of gamepads. See the Portal 2 control setup.
There is absolutely a learning curve, but I can see myself using the Steam controller moreso to play turn based and other slower paced games (Civ5, Shadowrun) from the couch without having to awkwardly use a mouse and keyboard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 7, 2014, 22:15 Krovven

edaciousx wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:39:
PropheT wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:21:
UConnBBall wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:23:
The reason it is important is that it is not Microsoft and/or Windows!

I really doubt many people are actually going to care about that.

It's basically buying a PC to just play games, but that can't do other PC things, for something in the price range of a PC that can do PC things -and- play the games. It makes no sense and I don't understand why anyone at all is excited for Steam machines when the only thing they have going for them is that they're not Windows based.

The reason why i'm excited for steambox is because I believe it will bridge the gap between hardcore console/living room players and pc players. It will make communities larger and hopefully bring back modding.

Right now the gaming community is split between 3 platforms, PC, PS, and Xbox when that community used to be all on PC.

So consoles didn't exist until the PS and Xbox's of the world. Funny, I seem to recall playing on both computers and consoles since the early 80's. Frankly Im tired of all the elitist pricks that think gaming can't or shouldn't have multiple platforms. If you play on only one system, it's your loss.

And people saying you can only play games on the Steam Machine... They are a computer. You can dual boot windows. You don't even need to use SteamOS and yes of course you can use a mouse and keyboard. They are off the shelf parts.

Build your own, buy a prebuilt. No different than what you can do now. Just now you could use SteamOS if you want. I just want to buy a Steam controller.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Announced
46. Re: Alien: Isolation Revealed Jan 7, 2014, 20:42 Krovven

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 18:03:
For me it's Alien and Aliens and then the series was done. Same with Terminator.

I actually like Alien 3. Along with everyone else, when it came out I was disappointed. But I think that has more to everyone's expectations as Aliens was such a good movie (many hated it at the time too because it was nothing like Alien). I've watched it many times over the years, and I enjoy and appreciate it far more now, especially with the extra bits in the Directors Cut. Would have been interesting to see what David Fincher could have done without the meddling of Fox.

Would have also been interesting to see what Alien 4 could have been like if Joss Whedon had directed instead of Jean-Pierre Jeunet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1kkNYNtQXo Joss Whedon on Alien 4. It's not playing for me, but hopefully it'll load for others. Basically, everything was done wrong and was nothing how he envisioned it when he wrote it.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Announced
40. Re: Alien: Isolation Revealed Jan 7, 2014, 17:41 Krovven

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:40:
Looks promising but so did Colonial Marines. That being said, 20th Century Fox should sue Gearbox for damaging the ALIEN franchise.

And who is going to sue Fox for damaging the Alien franchise with Aliens 4, AvP and AvP2 movies?

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves Valve
28. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 7, 2014, 04:25 Krovven

Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 01:06:
You mean other than the guy that says Valve is probably miserable for anyone not making really high pay? The guy that was the fourth or fifth post here?

Or the other people that make posts about how Valve's "work on whatever" plan must be miserable whenever it comes up? You know, like this:

One person, that has no clue how much Valve employees are paid....does not equal "lots". So now you are pulling quotes from other threads too? Oh wow, we have two posts...I guess that's "lots" too. Care to reach a little further so you fall right off the cliff? Those people know about as much as you do about the work environment and pay at Valve, which is nothing.

You ready to admit you don't have a clue what goes on at Valve regarding their personnel and you have no idea how many people have been laid off, or quit on their own, let alone for what reasons?

24. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 22:29 Krovven

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:37:
Whether they left on their own or not doesn't matter.
My point is that, on the game development side, we know when someone leaves. Few people have. Lots of people here are speculating that Valve must suck because Clint Hocking left.

"Lots" being who exactly? There's no such posts in this thread.

You seem to be trying to redirect your comments in rebuttal to me contradicting you stating that Valve has only had one layoff. To which, by your initial comment, it does matter whether someone chooses to leave or is layed off. And to again contradict your statements...do you keep track of Valves list of employees on their website and monitor who's coming in and who's leaving? I highly doubt it.

Contrary to what you'd like to believe...Beamer does not know everything.

News Comments > DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014
11. Re: DayZ Beta No Sooner Than End of 2014 Jan 6, 2014, 22:18 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 20:34:
hahah they cashed you in on your money and just sitting on it. I love it.

They have raised over 3M dollars - they are not in a hurry to release it....

I'd say it's a hell of a lot more than 3 million. 875,000 sales at $30 minus Valves 30-40%...

With many more sales to come, they better throw more developers at it.

22. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 19:12 Krovven

Alamar wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 17:27:
Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:31:
You kind of can.
For a developer like Valve, when someone leaves, it makes news. And you know when a developer leaves because they update their linkedin.

You know when a developer 'of note' leaves because people watch their linkedin...

There are dozens of unknowns at Valve (and every company) who's comings and goings, you'll never hear about...

-Alamar

Even moreso that when someone says "they left Valve", we don't know if they were layed off or if they left on their own. We don't know that about Hocking either. It's really none of our business under what circumstances someone left, unless they choose to make the reasons public. A good company would never say one way or the other.

19. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 17:10 Krovven

Sepharo wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 15:03:
Your rebuttal to his claim that when Valve employees leave it makes news was to link to news of Valve employees leaving?

No, he said that they have only had one lay off. I should have quoted his earlier post.

And Beamer, did you read the bottom of the story? Valve does not normally discuss their personnel matters. Just because they did 1 larger group layoff, does not mean they have never layed off people before. And your statement that that they have only had one layoff is ambiguous and could refer to a single person or a group.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 17:16.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
33. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 6, 2014, 15:09 Krovven

Luke, Suppa and others are always going to rail on Steam because they aren't rational.

Fact is Steam allows for no DRM. There are plenty of games on Steam that do not require Steam to even be running to play them, and plenty more that allow Steam to be in Offline mode.

It is not up to Valve/Steam to dictate what games use what DRM methods, or no DRM at all. It's up to the Publishers and the Devs themselves. Prior to Steam most games released on CD had a CD check at minimum. Yes you could circumvent this by cracking your game and installing on multiple machines. Even this was not foolproof, as many games still required a serial authentication and the same serial could not play multiplayer with the same another games using the same serial #.

If this is your argument...then you have no argument. You are only pissed off because it's that much harder for you to pirate games and nothing that is done will appease you, so debating it with you is wasted time. Your opinions do not matter, as your actions are unhealthy for the longevity of the PC games industry.

15. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 15:01 Krovven

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:31:
Panickd wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:54:
Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:48:
Panickd wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:58:
Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:44:
People change careers all the time for many reasons. You can do a lot better than the gaming industry sadly, the wages are shit for many positions comparatively, it really is a labor of love.

I'm pretty sure the pay at Valve is crazy good so long as you're working on the right (i.e. high profile and successful) project. But I'm positive the whole operation is complete shit for everyone else.

Pretty sure it's pretty good for just about anyone, though pay in the industry tends to be very bonus driven and bonuses come in most for releases - Valve also has a fairly significant other revenue source.

I'll never get why people are always so convinced everyone is miserable and disjointed at Valve. Valve has had very few people leave on their own volition, and only had one layoff.
People seem pretty happy to me.

Actually you can't really know with any certainty how many people have left Valve or how many layoffs or force outs have ever happened at the company. Unless the people that leave choose to talk about it, you'll never hear about it. Valve is a privately held company that doesn't have to blab all it's going ons to the public, and they don't. The people who have left and chosen to talk about it have made it pretty clear that if you can jive with the culture there and get involved on the right projects it's a great place to work. But the inverse is true as well. There is a massive culture shock in going to work for Valve when coming from nearly anywhere else and very little help in the company for overcoming it. And apparently that's the way they want it. So if you can't get with the culture or get on the right projects it's going to be a shitty place to work.

You kind of can.
For a developer like Valve, when someone leaves, it makes news. And you know when a developer leaves because they update their linkedin.

Fact is Beamer, you don't know. And I can say without a doubt that they have layed off more than 1 employee.

valve-layoff-hardware-mobile

2. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 11:13 Krovven

Portal 2 came out in 2011.

From what I heard before, Hocking was working on L4D3. It is curious why he left Valve after being so gung-ho to be hired there and having only been there for a little over a year. And his last stint was at LucasArts, which I assumed he jumped ship since he knew the closure of the studio was coming.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 4, 2014, 03:50 Krovven

Silvanus wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:49:
You can unplug/turn off Kinect, bitch to EA.. I have this game and don't have a problem.. Mountain out of a mole hill.. but whats new.

_silvanus

God forbid you get to use the features of the product you paid for AND be able to talk to someone while you are gaming without it fucking up your game.

News Comments > On Sale (2)
36. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 4, 2014, 03:45 Krovven

christheshitter wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 03:28:
Yea my post was kinda stupid that i could agree on. It's just my frustration of not having bought those games i wanted to buy at rebates which Steam had on those at the main site.

But my nickname is permantly changed by a moderator. I guess he's thought he made todays good deed.

And by the way i use Cheapshark to search for game sales across various Digital distribution sites.

Yea, not getting games I want at a massive discount makes me rage too... /sarcasm Time to grow up. There were tons of indie games on sale for more than 50% off during the Steam sale.

My guess is you just forgot which troll account you logged in to. BTW, you can change your name in the Account Options any time you want to.

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
62. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 03:27 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 01:34:
I went back and checked every one of the links in blues blurb. Its all about claims, no hard facts yet, beyond steam having issues. My theory fits steam having issues at that point in time just as well as the DDOS one does. EA's issues could be unrelated, could be a DDOS or could be something else entirely.

I'll admit the DDOS theory is possible, but so is mine

You are just being naive and ignorant to support your incessant whining about Steam needing to improve their infrastructure. So Origin, Steam, Battle.net, League of Legends, and World of Tanks were all down at the same time and you are trying to claim it was pure coincidence and not from DDoS attacks, that groups have publicly taken responsibility for. Nevermind, that they said they were going to do it, before it actually started. So no, your theory is not possible.

I suppose the moon landing was filmed in a studio and Al Qaeda didn't fly planes into the WTC.

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
22. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 4, 2014, 00:31 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:26:
Steam can and has revoked accounts or games before. Just recently I read about a game being removed by valve from everyone's steam account. Even GoG isn't doing that, just removing from store for future purchases.

It has also been updated that the Order of War game was restored ro users accounts as it was removed in error. Only the multiplayer game has been removed.

See, back in the Steam store and still for sale. http://store.steampowered.com/app/34600/

57. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:24 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:15:
Interesting. Any links? I'd like to read up on it.

I guess that answers my question in my previous post...you didn't read anything. You didn't read the links in the story Blue posted above, and you didn't read any links earlier in the thread.
As for it being used to make money...I haven't heard anything like that, but who knows.

56. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:22 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:09:
I don't think it was a ddos. I think it was everyone frantically trying to buy/sell/craft globes since this time valve said they were going away.

And valve's front end setup couldn't handle it.

Did you look at any of the links at all? 2 groups were DDOSing Origin, Battle.net, Steam among others. See the Twitter feeds linked in the stories.

hackers-claim-to-have-broken-eas-origin-service

pair-claim-to-have-attacked-steams-servers

44. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 17:06 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 17:04:
Well, I hope they make this right and let me do something with the globes I have....

You still have them? People were saying yesterday that they were going to be removed from inventories.

News Comments > Criterion Cofounders Leave
10. Re: Criterion Cofounders Leave Jan 3, 2014, 16:47 Krovven

LanikTnt wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 15:25:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:07:
I'd lay even odds that five years from now he sells his company to EA again, because game devs never learn.

Gamers have this crazy notion that all game devs want to do is make the games they want to make without influences from a publisher. They have wives, kids, a mortgage, etc. like everyone else. I've known lots of software developers who spin up companies, make a successful product, sell the company, rinse/repeat. There's nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Criterion wasn't a one hit wonder though. They had been around awhile with many successful games and probably didn't need to sell out to EA in 2004. But I don't know what their financial situation was like in 2004, so who knows. Maybe they were in trouble and selling for $40 mil pounds was their best option.

6759 Comments. 338 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo