Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Braun

Real Name Michael Braun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Talisorn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 897 (Graduate)
User ID 19028

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Ashes Cricket 2009 Announced
4. Re: Ashes Cricket 2009 Announced May 11, 2009, 18:19 Talisorn

Cricket is almost a religion in more countries than American Football, Baseball or Ice Hockey is even played in. BAH! Philistines, the lot of you!

That said ... I hate sports games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Richard Garriott Lawsuit Follow-up
13. Re: Richard Garriott Lawsuit Follow-up May 6, 2009, 17:47 Talisorn

Personally I'd love to sue see NCSoft sued .... mainly for what they did to Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault. Rumor was Sony wanted to take up Tabula Rasa and Netdevil wanted to buy back Auto Assault, but NCSoft have a habit of rather seeing a game dead than allowing anyone else to take it up.

Personally, I really liked both games. And hate NCSoft attitude!

This comment was edited on May 6, 2009, 17:50.

News Comments > NecroVisioN AU Ban
2. Re: NecroVisioN AU Ban Apr 15, 2009, 16:59 Talisorn

Glad I don't live "down under" such an oppressive government.
I'd hardly call our government oppressive. Oppressive is China in Tibet or North Korea. When it comes to censorship different countries have different things that push the censors buttons. Forv example, when it comes to sex in popular media, the US is positively prudish in its attitude compared to the rest of the world.

I would say the laws are out of step and out of date. The guidelines by which media content is judged by the OFLC with regard to "popular media" was laid down by a conservative government many years ago; to change that needs the unanimous agreement of all state Attorneys General ... of which there is one ultra-conservative nut-job holding out. The OFLC are simply playing by the laws that they have been given ... like any government organisation SHOULD do.

The Australian laws are not that different from 90% western of other countries out there in that control of Adult rated material (R18+) is written into legislation and people under the age of 18 cannot have access to it ... kids aren't allowed into R rated movies at the cinema. The US is actually the odd one out there. That said, the rules in Australia are simply out of date.

Don't expect this ban to last too long. The OFLC quite often review their decision and games are often allowed back in. Fear 2, Fallout 3 and so many other have been re-reviewed and we didn't miss out much at all. If I was a suspicious person, I'd say that the OFLC do this just to raise media attention at having to put up with using the stupid rules they've been given.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2009, 17:04.

News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Backlash
30. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Backlash Apr 8, 2009, 18:25 Talisorn

If it's acceptable to make games about WWII then what's the problem with one about Iraq War II?
Timing

News Comments > PC & Mac Guitar Hero: World Tour
6. Re: PC & Mac Guitar Hero: World Tour Mar 25, 2009, 18:14 Talisorn

While I'd probably never play this on the PC, I played this at a friends place on his PS3 and (after being a bit dubious to begin with) I found it to be a lot of fun as a group activity ...

... and this coming from a 45 year old kid ( ... a damn good drinking game). :p

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Patch
6. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Mar 22, 2009, 16:15 Talisorn

Does it run any better than when it did on first release? I'm thinking of picking this up now that it's hit a bit over half price in some stores.  

News Comments > Runes of Magic Live
4. Re: Runes of Magic Live Mar 19, 2009, 17:16 Talisorn

I'm having fun with this one, it seems to be well written, and while it's still pretty much a stock MMO, it's fairly high quality for being free-to-play.
Agreed. It's probably the best free-to-play MMO out there.

News Comments > Pirate Galaxy Open Beta
12. Re: Pirate Galaxy Mar 12, 2009, 17:45 Talisorn

Hey. It's subscription free. It sounds like you get more than enough for your money ....

It could be ok when your bored of everything else and just want to play something and blow shit up. Who knows until you try it?

News Comments > Crossover Bringing the DirectX 10
3. Re: Crossover Bringing the DirectX 10 Mar 10, 2009, 17:36 Talisorn

What about DirectX 10 for XP?
Not. Going. To. Happen.

News Comments > Empire: Total War Patched
5. Re: Empire: Total War Patched Mar 10, 2009, 17:32 Talisorn

Oh and heard the collectors is $65! Not even in a metal lunch box like Fallout 3. Who are they kidding?
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Special Forces Edition, which contains the six extra unit types?

The CE over here in Australia cost $140, but it comes in a varnished wooden box and has a nice metal compass and hip flask, as well as the Special Forces Edition. It's probably one of the better CE's I've seen.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2009, 17:35.

News Comments > MS: Windows 7 to be "Great for Games"
58. Re: MS: Windows 7 to be Feb 23, 2009, 16:16 Talisorn

That being said, the main issue for gaming in Windows 7 is if ATI and nVidia actually have their drivers up to snuff at launch. It shouldn't have taken them a year to get their Vista drivers decent. Anymore there's very little performance difference between Vista and XP (and a sizable advantage to Vista if you're running on 4GB RAM), but most people don't seem to be aware of it unless they deal with both operating systems regularly...
Well said. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Vista had less problems at it's core than XP did at launch. People seem to forget the problems XP had ... the constant crashes, software incompatibilities, the list went on on on. The only problems I ever had was with third party hardware manufacturers getting off their fat arses and developing stable drivers; they had over a year to get their act together and but they couldn't have been bothered.

And they you have the cyber-luddites who are rubbishing Windows 7 based on the reputation gained by Vista ... a reputation based purely on third-party providers fucking it up.

News Comments > EU Darkfall Next Week
9. Re: EU Darkfall Next Week Feb 19, 2009, 15:22 Talisorn

Darkfall is a MMOGG (Massive Multiplayer Online Griefing Game). Avoid at all cost if you actually want to play game content without someone trying to kill you every 2 minutes.

A massive waste of potential .... but at least it's somewhere where all the 13 year old emo psychopaths can hang out and play out their dark murder fantasies.

Seriously, why would anyone buy into any game, especially and mmo, without it being online and working in production for at least 6 months? Why pay to be a beta tester?
The only OTHER game I know of that had a lifetime subscription model was LOTRO and that's been a massive success. Hellgate London was just screaming failure (as a game with a subscription model) from day one; it was easy to spot a mile off. There is no way in hell that should ever have had a subscription model of any kind.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 15:25.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2009 in August
12. Re: BlizzCon 2009 in August Feb 17, 2009, 15:53 Talisorn

I watched the event on Pay-per-View over here in Australia. $30 well spent ... and I didn't have to spend a swag of cash and 15 hours on a plane. And the biggest line up I has was waiting at the kettle for all of 5 seconds as my partner was using the microwave.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2009, 15:54.

News Comments > AU MMOG "Legal Minefield"
3. Re: AU MMOG Feb 4, 2009, 16:03 Talisorn

It will be argued, debated and go around the parliamentary circle a couple of times. Finally whatever games there are will be rated by the appropriate authority as acceptable and it will all go away.

And the chance of WoW not receiving a rating (and therefore being banned)is simply laughable. Typical media sensationalism at its funniest.

That said, we still need to get an R18+ rating in this country. As soon as (the only person stopping it) Michael Aitkenson passes on (either physically or loses his position) then we'll get that .... but until then, enjoy this little blog as an example his ridiculous stance.

News Comments > DirectX 11 Preview
44. Re: DirectX 11 Preview Feb 1, 2009, 20:20 Talisorn

Indeed, I was careful to state that my 'ware is fairly modern - not "no older than Vista" in all cases, but that's splitting hairs.
Actually I've had some older hardware work better under Vista. My old TV tuner card was a bitch to get working under XP. It worked flawlessly under Vista from day one.

Go figure.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2009, 20:21.

News Comments > DirectX 11 Preview
13. Re: Re:moving forward Feb 1, 2009, 15:16 Talisorn

Until they fix drivers no way buddy. I doubt half my software will run in Vista and W7 sounds not much better just a tweaked Vista. Still not enough reason to switch..
All my software runs on Vista. The drivers were fixed more than eighteen months ago .... and you can hardly call that MS' fault; that was just plain lazy hardware vendors considering the specs were available for a year prior to Vista's launch.

This line of thought was valid two years ago, but has long since hit its expiry date.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2009, 15:20.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch Woes
2. Re: World of Warcraft Patch Woes Jan 22, 2009, 01:45 Talisorn

Why do they call it a patch when they don't actually patch anything?
Oh believe me they "patched" Hunters .... OUCH!!!!

News Comments > SOE on Steam, SEGA on GamersGate
8. Re: SOE on Steam, SEGA on GamersGate Jan 16, 2009, 18:26 Talisorn

EQ2 is, in theory, a far better game than WoW. But it's lacking something... it's hard to really place your finger on what it is missing.
It's call "a soul". Even though you may not like WoW, you have to agree that Blizzard are A-Class story tellers, bring to life great and interesting settings and have an engine that runs nicely low spec PC's while is still looking good. That's why the game does so well.

EQ2 and a lot of the other offerings out there try really hard (WAR probably did it best), but still can't quite match Blizzard in those respects.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2009, 18:27.

News Comments > Richard Garriott on Games, Ultima
10. Re: Richard Garriott on Games, Ultima Jan 15, 2009, 18:14 Talisorn

Come on Garriott. You don't need the Ultima series or name. You created it from scratch. You did that. You can do it all over again. Concentrate on making the story engaging like you did for the first few Ultimas. Then, deal with how the game will look.
It wouldn't be the same. jhelom, the forests of Yew, Trinsic ... the dungeons. Brittania rules!!

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2009, 18:17.

News Comments > Richard Garriott on Games, Ultima
2. Re: Richard Garriott on Games, Ultima Jan 15, 2009, 15:23 Talisorn

I would jump at playing another Ultima. Despite the faults of the later ones, it is still by far my favorite series of games.  

897 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo