Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Braun

Real Name Michael Braun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Talisorn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 884 (Graduate)
User ID 19028

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Free MW4 "Very Shortly"
1. Re: Free MW4 "Very Shortly" Sep 4, 2009, 18:07 Talisorn

Thanks for following that up Blue!!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Trek Online Beta Applications
11. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 18:03 Talisorn

In the closed beta the dev's REALLY listened to the player and made direct changed to the game to reflect that. In the open beta (as was mentioned in a interview with Champions on Ten Ton Hammer I believe) they even say that there is no way to simulate the affect of 10,000 players will have on the game/servers/etc without having an open beta, and the XP curve changes they made were directly from that.
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, too many people want to get into Closed Beta as a way of playing a game for free. What they don't realise is that the game is incomplete, unbalance and is prone to crashing. That's the nature of testing an IT system. That's what Beta Testers are there for: to give feedback, report bugs and not just to play a free game and bitch about it ... or worse ... note loopholes in the game mechanics so they can exploit it in the live game.

Open beta is about load testing and making sure your infrastructure can handle the stress of "n thousand" players. It's still going to have problems, especially performance ones. It's still going to have some very minor bugs.

Unfortunately the marketeers have got hold of the closed beta concept and run with it as a "Hey see our new game for free!" thing ... and then the punters complain because it's laggy, there are minor problem or skills/powers/abilities get changed. HEY! Guess what! Your there to show up problems in the system ... hopefully before the game goes live!

Closed beta participants really need to be more carefully screened for people who ACTUALLY understand what they are there for.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 18:04.

News Comments > MechWarrior Legal Conflict
30. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 17:51 Talisorn

FFS! Just license the damn designs off them once and for all. These are core Mechwarrior mechs. Shouldn't this shit have been sorted out by now!  

News Comments > Casual Star Wars MMOG Rumor
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 4, 2009, 17:45 Talisorn

Give me a few mil and I'll be happy to take a stab at it.
A few mill might get you the basic framework for a good MMO. Don't expect it to be playable in any way shape of form.

A good MMO is a massive undertaking that takes years of development even before it's even hinted at to the public and then another couple of years before it's released.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 17:47.

News Comments > Casual Star Wars MMOG Rumor
5. Re: Casual Star Wars MMOG Rumor Sep 4, 2009, 17:43 Talisorn

SOE you say? Pass.
At least you know it will be around for a while before it gets the chop. If NCSoft did it, even a sniff of a drop in profitability would see it axed immediately, leaving the fan base wondering what happened.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Beta Applications
9. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 17:42 Talisorn

How long was Cryptic beating the Join Beta! drum? 2 years plus before their beta even started? I wouldn't hold my breath.
WoW was in development for a lot longer than two years. In fact just one of their expansions takes much longer than two years toy develop .... mind you they just about re-invent their player character game mechanics with every expansion.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
7. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege Sep 4, 2009, 17:37 Talisorn

As much as I realize it's not a fair complaint about a LotR game, my biggest problem with it is that it's so...LotR. There's so little personality to anything and the classes and characters are so bland it's painful.
I definitely disagree with you on that point. While it's not a vivid as WoW (which in my opinion has lost it's shine and has been overdone), LotRO just oozes atmosphere but in a very understated way. It's the closest to keeping true to Tolkien's works in an MMO.

News Comments > WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Changes Planned
28. Re: re: Sep 3, 2009, 18:26 Talisorn

Everything people in this thread have been bitching about, the faction change fee, the server change fee, hell the internet feed for BlizzCon, have been things that players have been clamoring for.
Not everyone has been clamoring for faction changes .... or at least in the way it's been implemented anyway. Personally I would have preferred to see the ability to maintain your race and still change sides.

But regardless of the change, there has been a steady shift by Blizzard to make what was a fun game with enjoyable challenges into one giant mall where money (and in game tokens) get you what you want in the game. The game has lost its vision and its way. And with every new expansion, they re-invent the classes, the attribute system, the combat and any number of things that they could just leave well enough alone and work within the "tried and true" framework that they have. Frankly I'm sick of rebuilding my character every time someone in "WOW Game Mechanics HQ" decides that they don't have enough work to do and I need to relearn how to play the same character all over again.

Finally, it really does appear to me like the game is in a holding pattern until Blizz's new MMO drops, which in all likelihood will be gobbled up with glee by the punters. In the mean time, I'll likely get Cataclysm, play it to max level and check out the new content, quests and whatnot ... but that will be about it. I'll give it a couple of months and then look for something else.

Blizz are great a producing a nice, shiny and polished product. Generally they are some of the more fun games on the market. But WoW has been polished so much, there's no paint left and the metal is showing severe wear.

News Comments > WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Changes Planned
13. Re: WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Chan Sep 2, 2009, 23:14 Talisorn

I can hardly wait for the paid "Character power level to 80 service" and the paid "Uber gear service"!!!
Yup. The more changes like this, the more I'm glad I ditched World of Mallcraft.

News Comments > Champions Online Changes
11. Re: Champions Online Changes Sep 2, 2009, 18:29 Talisorn

Well it's like every MMO launch but it was pretty much the same for City of Heroes, you see some amazing themed characters, but you also see alot of these 'ok wtf were they thinking' characters that only happen at launch, and I too am like the guy eating pop-corn, it's too damn funny not to stop and watch.
QFT. Pass me the popcorn.

News Comments > Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW
13. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 2, 2009, 01:56 Talisorn

People don't have time to play two MMOs. The people that do have time are jobless and probably can't afford it or flunking out of college and eventually will realize their predicament.
Thus speaks the voice of authority. LOL! At one point I had three paid subscriptions running and a LotRO lifetime sub running. All with a good job and a family life. I guess your "one size fits all" brain finds that difficult to comprehend, huh?

News Comments > Champions Online Launches
12. Re: Champions Online Launches Sep 1, 2009, 18:27 Talisorn

Beta showed the game for the epic fail it is.

Yeh. Yeh. And Bill Roper is the devil. We get it.

Just admit that this game is not to your liking and your opinion may well differ from other people. I enjoyed my experience in beta so much I went for the lifetime sub. You didn't enjoy it (assuming you even tried it), so you won't get it. Why not leave it at that?

To say the game is "epic fail" on your own personal experience (or just as likely the say-so of other people, preconceived opinions or just blind hatred of Bill Roper) is just plain stupid.

There was a much needed nerf of quite a few defensive and passive powers, but also some of them are a bit too harsh. The XP curve has been increased again, but for people like myself I'm on the 2nd XP curve (nerfed) and not getting enough XP to be where I should be for the missions I am doing.
I agree that there are a few powers that seem like "I Win" buttons (like some in my much loved Supernatural framework), but isn't that the idea of a "Supers" game? They need to balance but not necessarily nerf. At the same time they need to to make the XP curve not seem like a grind and yet not make it easy to get to top level quickly. It's a careful balancing act that won't please everyone and may take a while to get right.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 18:32.

News Comments > Champions Online Discount Subs Return
32. Re: CO Discount Subs Return Aug 28, 2009, 06:02 Talisorn

Your opinion however is completely meaningless to me.
Then we do have a great deal in common in that case. I feel the same way about your opinion.

News Comments > EA: Marketing = 66-75% of a Game's Budget
37. Re: EA: Marketing = 66-75% of a Game's Budget Aug 28, 2009, 00:22 Talisorn

FOR GODS SAKE!! Stop paying your marketing people so much and plow some of that money into games development. A good game almost markets itself with word-of-mouth hype built around a few screenshots and a cool trailer or two.

Ok ... so it's probably a generalisation, but it seems they are not paying their games devs enough money and their advertising guru's way too much.

News Comments > Aion Open Beta Starts September 6
13. Re: Aion Open Beta Starts September 6 Aug 27, 2009, 19:44 Talisorn

As much as this game looks interesting, I'm not touching another NCSoft game again. I'm probably in the minority here in that I enjoyed Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa. They weren't doing so well and what happened? NCSoft axed them.

I'm not going to invest any of my time and money into a game that I suspect may well be axed.

As George W. Bush said "Fool me once, shame on .... shame on you. Fool me ....... you can't get fooled again."

27. Re: CO Discount Subs Return Aug 27, 2009, 19:30 Talisorn

Meh. I'll take my $40 and buy Guild Wars 2. No extra fees, no bullshit, no nadagameplay.
Fixed.

26. Re: CO Discount Subs Return Aug 27, 2009, 19:27 Talisorn

A few major problems with this pre-launch Lifetime Sub for me....
LotRO had pre-launch lifetime subs. Every seems to forget that it was teh first to do this. Not Hellgate London. Not Bill Roper. And LotRO has been extremely successful and was by no means "fly-by-night".

1. It's being published by Atari which has been in the news for being in a bad financial condition for awhile now and this is their first subscription game.
There are many games out there which are published by Atari. They are not developing the game. They have no creative input into the game. Cryptic are in the driving seat. Not Atari.

2. I have yet to hear anything good about this game in its current state.
You have extremely selecting reading skills then. Or perhaps you just take notice of the comments that validate your pre-conceived notions. Or you could have played it yourself and made up your own mind ... but I'm pretty sure that you already have made up your own mind without any hard facts.

3. That they are putting the "lifetime" subscription offer on the table only before the game goes live makes it seem that even they have little faith in the game gaining subscriptions or even sustaining them post-launch.
LotRO again. 'nuff said.

Your ignorance astounds me.

25. Re: CO Discount Subs Return Aug 27, 2009, 19:18 Talisorn

Wow, you folks have really been traumatized by Bill Roper. Maybe you should seek counseling.
I think Bill roper stole their flip-flops and got their dog pregnant.

News Comments > Weisman: MS "Destroyed" FASA Dev Culture
32. Re: Weisman: MS Aug 26, 2009, 17:12 Talisorn

Yeah, but the Bungie of old is long gone. All they do now is make one Halo game after another. If that's what they enjoy doing, more power to them, but somehow I doubt it...
Agreed. I mourn the loss of the Myth games.

News Comments > Champions Online Discount Subs Sold Out
27. Re: Champions Online Discount Subs Sold Out Aug 26, 2009, 16:56 Talisorn

Only idiots buy lifetime subs.
Then I'm one happy idiot with my LotRO lifetime sub that I purchased on on day one. What more can you ask for than be happy? And just sometimes taking a gamble on something can can pay off ...

... I have no qualms gambling a lifetime sub on CO and Cryptic. I'm thoroughly impressed with and am enjoying what I've played so far.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2009, 17:05.

884 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo