Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Braun

Real Name Michael Braun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Talisorn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 19028

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > MMOG Lawsuit
22. Re: MMOG Lawsuit Sep 16, 2009, 19:16 Talisorn

Time for a few oldies ....

What's brown and looks good on a lawyer? A pack of dobermans.

What do you call 20 lawyers at the bottom of the Hudson River? A good start.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WoW and Innovation
15. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 16:56 Talisorn

Do'h. Double post.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 16:58.

News Comments > WoW and Innovation
14. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 16:54 Talisorn

Yeah, sounds like a bunch of marketing bullshit to me. "Ever-changing, ever-uncertain in-game environment"? It's like the author hasn't actually played WoW for more than 20 minutes
Or it's like the other hasn't played any other MMOs at all. Innovation? No. Buff and polish? Definitely.
Achievements - Lord of the Rings Online
Auction House - Ultima Online
Battlegrounds - PlanetSide
Classes - Star Wars Galaxies
Content phasing - Lord of the Rings Online
PVP - Ultima Online
Quests - EverQuest
Talents - Diablo 2
Telling an immersive story via consecutive monthly content since launch - Asheron's Call
I'm still waiting for them the steal innovate the music system from Lord of the Rings Online or player housing from ... well any other game really. Then true innovation will be complete.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 17:00.

News Comments > Direct2Drive Sales Figures
31. Re: Direct2Drive Sales Figures Sep 15, 2009, 16:51 Talisorn

Yup Blue. That table has legs!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Guerrilla
13. Re: Steam Sep 15, 2009, 16:44 Talisorn

Has the most retarded unlock time for this game. Today at 2pm CST. What the FUCK is up with that? I happily turned on my system at midnight, thinking I'd start downloading it. "Game will be unlocked in 14 hours."
And for that reason, it's probably one of the few off-the-shelf games I've picked up on almost a year (everything else has been digital download). I saw it at EB yesterday ...

And they screwed up this port though not nearly as badly as SR2. Tons of tearing going on, mouse acceleration problems, changing the options in-game sometimes just crashes straight to desktop and finally lots of framerate issues even on a very competent rig.
Not to mention locking up when rebinding a key and issues trying to manage sound levels. Were QA on a coffee break? Patch time hopefully soon.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 16:47.

News Comments > Champion Online Patched, Free Retcon
12. Re: Champion Online Patched, Free Retcon Sep 11, 2009, 16:34 Talisorn

I wonder how long it will take before all the people who paid for the lifetime subs begin chiming in....is thats all there is to this game??? But But Bill Roper said....but but he said there would be more...
Yeh, yeh. Bill Roper is the devil. We know. Whatever.

I'm enjoying the game immensely. So it doesn't appeal to some people. Big deal. It doesn't mean the game sucks. It just means that they don't like it. On the other hand, there's always heaps of people on the server and each area seems to have lots of instance running; it seems to be quite popular ... so there are quite a few people who like it too.

If you think that CO is going to be another Hellgate: London your a bloody idiot. Bill Roper is only one guy on their team and the rest of Cryptic have done a good job with the game so far.

And if anyone thinks that an MMO is complete at startup, they are also bloody idiots. No MMO is ever complete at startup. There is always more to come.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 20:47 Talisorn

He means the original "Stygian Abyss". The title's been used before, for a single-player title in the Ultima series.
His question wasn't particularly well phrased then, so you'll have to pardon my confusion, especially as the article is about UO.

True that Ultima Underworld was one of the original FP games, and a bloody good one it was. In fact ALL the Ultimas were damn good in one way or another ... even the much maligned Ultima IX.

But they still pale in comparison when you consider the depth of gameplay in Ultima VII (Parts 1 and 2); it's still one of my all time favorites. Even Ultima IV was a leap forward in gameplay, considering the that you couldn't win by killing every enemy in sight otherwise you'd fail at showing compassion ... which was one of the avatar's virtues you needed to "display".

But I digress ....

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 19:22 Talisorn

wasn't the original one of the first games to use a 1st person perspective?
UO has always been isometric. It has never had a first person perspective. You're probably thinking of Meridian 59.

News Comments > LOTRO Expansion $20.00
7. Re: LOTRO Expansion $20.00 Sep 6, 2009, 23:08 Talisorn

I quite like the classes in LotRO. They ARE different ... though on the surface they may not seem that way. When you get down to the mechanics of the game, their rolls play out quite differently. Like the Burglar ... on the surface, he's the Rogue, but when it comes down to it in group play, they are the "debuffer" of the party and open up "group combo attacks". The Loremaster appears to be the mage, but really they are the crowd control/pet class. The Archer really takes on hte role of ranged DPS, but also allows "swift travel" for the party around the world.

The funny thing is that I know plenty of people who don't like them because they are NOT the standard "mage/rogue/fighter/priest". Whatever float's your boat, I guess.

News Comments > LOTRO Expansion $20.00
5. Re: LOTRO Expansion $20.00 Sep 6, 2009, 22:32 Talisorn

I was worried it was more strait classes, were the Classes pretty limited, could you be some type of Summoner, Necromancer or Mezzer?
In LotRO? They've tried to keep the game very low magic. Summoning would be right out and just doesn't fit the setting. And heroes in a Tolkien setting would never be necromancers.

Mezzers could work, but they have that already in Loremasters.

News Comments > Free MW4 "Very Shortly"
1. Re: Free MW4 "Very Shortly" Sep 4, 2009, 18:07 Talisorn

Thanks for following that up Blue!!  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Beta Applications
11. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 18:03 Talisorn

In the closed beta the dev's REALLY listened to the player and made direct changed to the game to reflect that. In the open beta (as was mentioned in a interview with Champions on Ten Ton Hammer I believe) they even say that there is no way to simulate the affect of 10,000 players will have on the game/servers/etc without having an open beta, and the XP curve changes they made were directly from that.
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, too many people want to get into Closed Beta as a way of playing a game for free. What they don't realise is that the game is incomplete, unbalance and is prone to crashing. That's the nature of testing an IT system. That's what Beta Testers are there for: to give feedback, report bugs and not just to play a free game and bitch about it ... or worse ... note loopholes in the game mechanics so they can exploit it in the live game.

Open beta is about load testing and making sure your infrastructure can handle the stress of "n thousand" players. It's still going to have problems, especially performance ones. It's still going to have some very minor bugs.

Unfortunately the marketeers have got hold of the closed beta concept and run with it as a "Hey see our new game for free!" thing ... and then the punters complain because it's laggy, there are minor problem or skills/powers/abilities get changed. HEY! Guess what! Your there to show up problems in the system ... hopefully before the game goes live!

Closed beta participants really need to be more carefully screened for people who ACTUALLY understand what they are there for.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 18:04.

News Comments > MechWarrior Legal Conflict
30. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 17:51 Talisorn

FFS! Just license the damn designs off them once and for all. These are core Mechwarrior mechs. Shouldn't this shit have been sorted out by now!  

News Comments > Casual Star Wars MMOG Rumor
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 4, 2009, 17:45 Talisorn

Give me a few mil and I'll be happy to take a stab at it.
A few mill might get you the basic framework for a good MMO. Don't expect it to be playable in any way shape of form.

A good MMO is a massive undertaking that takes years of development even before it's even hinted at to the public and then another couple of years before it's released.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 17:47.

News Comments > Casual Star Wars MMOG Rumor
5. Re: Casual Star Wars MMOG Rumor Sep 4, 2009, 17:43 Talisorn

SOE you say? Pass.
At least you know it will be around for a while before it gets the chop. If NCSoft did it, even a sniff of a drop in profitability would see it axed immediately, leaving the fan base wondering what happened.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Beta Applications
9. Re: Star Trek Online Beta Applications Sep 4, 2009, 17:42 Talisorn

How long was Cryptic beating the Join Beta! drum? 2 years plus before their beta even started? I wouldn't hold my breath.
WoW was in development for a lot longer than two years. In fact just one of their expansions takes much longer than two years toy develop .... mind you they just about re-invent their player character game mechanics with every expansion.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
7. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege Sep 4, 2009, 17:37 Talisorn

As much as I realize it's not a fair complaint about a LotR game, my biggest problem with it is that it's so...LotR. There's so little personality to anything and the classes and characters are so bland it's painful.
I definitely disagree with you on that point. While it's not a vivid as WoW (which in my opinion has lost it's shine and has been overdone), LotRO just oozes atmosphere but in a very understated way. It's the closest to keeping true to Tolkien's works in an MMO.

News Comments > WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Changes Planned
28. Re: re: Sep 3, 2009, 18:26 Talisorn

Everything people in this thread have been bitching about, the faction change fee, the server change fee, hell the internet feed for BlizzCon, have been things that players have been clamoring for.
Not everyone has been clamoring for faction changes .... or at least in the way it's been implemented anyway. Personally I would have preferred to see the ability to maintain your race and still change sides.

But regardless of the change, there has been a steady shift by Blizzard to make what was a fun game with enjoyable challenges into one giant mall where money (and in game tokens) get you what you want in the game. The game has lost its vision and its way. And with every new expansion, they re-invent the classes, the attribute system, the combat and any number of things that they could just leave well enough alone and work within the "tried and true" framework that they have. Frankly I'm sick of rebuilding my character every time someone in "WOW Game Mechanics HQ" decides that they don't have enough work to do and I need to relearn how to play the same character all over again.

Finally, it really does appear to me like the game is in a holding pattern until Blizz's new MMO drops, which in all likelihood will be gobbled up with glee by the punters. In the mean time, I'll likely get Cataclysm, play it to max level and check out the new content, quests and whatnot ... but that will be about it. I'll give it a couple of months and then look for something else.

Blizz are great a producing a nice, shiny and polished product. Generally they are some of the more fun games on the market. But WoW has been polished so much, there's no paint left and the metal is showing severe wear.

News Comments > WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Changes Planned
13. Re: WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Chan Sep 2, 2009, 23:14 Talisorn

I can hardly wait for the paid "Character power level to 80 service" and the paid "Uber gear service"!!!
Yup. The more changes like this, the more I'm glad I ditched World of Mallcraft.

News Comments > Champions Online Changes
11. Re: Champions Online Changes Sep 2, 2009, 18:29 Talisorn

Well it's like every MMO launch but it was pretty much the same for City of Heroes, you see some amazing themed characters, but you also see alot of these 'ok wtf were they thinking' characters that only happen at launch, and I too am like the guy eating pop-corn, it's too damn funny not to stop and watch.
QFT. Pass me the popcorn.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo