Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Braun

Real Name Michael Braun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Talisorn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 19028

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > TERA Announced
8. Re: TERA Announced Feb 24, 2010, 17:54 Talisorn

"Innovative MMO" and Korea do not belong in the same paragraph. Innovative for a Korean MMO is for it to not feel like a constant grindfest.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Napoleon: Total War
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Napoleon: Total War Feb 24, 2010, 17:51 Talisorn

I have my big-arsed Emperor's Edition box on my desk ... it's very noice.

Seven more hours to clock off.

News Comments > No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
39. Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 23, 2010, 16:39 Talisorn

Zzet wrote on Feb 23, 2010, 16:30:
3) Emulation mode for XP. Games won't work natively? Run the XP emulator.
I hate to break it to you, but "XP Mode" does not support Direct 3D.

That said, the only game I've got that doesn't work well on Win 7 is Mechcommander 2. If you're really desperate, just run Sun's VirtualBox instead; that DOES support Direct 3D.

News Comments > No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
35. Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 23, 2010, 16:14 Talisorn

WTF! No Win 3.1 Support! ARGH!!  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
28. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 15:59 Talisorn

Stanly Manly wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 11:01:
EDIT: To anyone who cares, I think STO is quite a good game, and I'm enjoying it. Sure, its not perfect, but the vast majority of players (IMHO) that are complaining about the game, are the ones who click past every dialogue box and just race to max level. The story in STO is pretty interesting, and if you stop thinking within the confines of WoW, you'll see the game is a good Star Trek game. You aren't some random adventurer, you are a Starfleet Officer, doing Starfleet type missions. Players just can't seem to grasp that. Oh well.
Agree 100%

News Comments > Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming
18. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 16:15 Talisorn

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 10:57:
Ricky baby...stick to what you're good at...Ultima. Buy it back, make a deal, whatever it takes. Get down on some new single player Ultima and maybe a new Ultima Online at some point too.

This x10!

News Comments > King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame Patched
2. Re: King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame Patched Feb 16, 2010, 20:13 Talisorn

I've been trying to track this down in Aus. No luck so far.  

News Comments > No More WoW Tiered Raids Before Cataclysm
1. Re: No More WoW Tiered Raids Before Cataclysm Feb 14, 2010, 16:07 Talisorn

even though some high level players complain that they completed all the current raids within nanoseconds of their release.
Bah. It takes less than a day for these whiny bitches to finish something it takes Blizzard to create over ... how long? Let them wait, Blizzard ... let them wait.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Capacity Increased
38. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 16:06 Talisorn

My only real criticism of STO is there was some kind of grand plan to allow exploration and have a randomly generated universe; you COULD be the first to discover a new race and make first contact ...

... however to get some perspective, need I mention Fable, Spore, Black and White? How many other games had grand plans to build up hype? Those game I mention are single player games. Add a order of magnitude to the difficulty to translate those grand plans into an MMO. I seriously get annoyed with the hype machine ... partially because even at my age, I'm still naive enough to buy into it, but also because game companies should KNOW that when they don't deliver all sorts of negative feedback comes around to bit them.

That said, Kudos to Cryptic for making a space based MMO that's not EVE. Contrary to some people's opinions, I find it fun. It has it's shortcomings but most MMO releases has been like that with few exceptions. And most recover and become good games in time.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Capacity Increased
11. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 7, 2010, 19:54 Talisorn

Fion wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 19:43:
Champions Online was 'meh' and STO sounds 'meh' as well.
I disagree with you. I think CO addressed most of the principle design issues plaguing CoX. Sure it's not as polished, but what do you want for a game that's relatively new compared to one that's four years old?

And STO is quite a bit of fun too. It's not EVE, but "X-Men" is not "War and Peace" either, but it's fun for a bit of light entertainment.

Apart from Bill Roper (who I agree is a "size 10 douche"), what is with all the Cryptic hate? Is it the fact that just like most other game company out there (with few exceptions) they promise more than they deliver? They certainly are no worse than Peter Molyneux. Is it the fact that they are a company and they want to make money? Welcome to the real world, folks.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 19:57.

News Comments > Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity
37. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 17:20 Talisorn

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 10:32:
Actually, this has been the smoothest launch of an MMO that I've ever seen. The servers dropped a couple of times during the head-start period ("It's like an out of town premiere"), they addressed it, and (other than scheduled maintenance) I haven't seen any downtime since the game went officially live.

I'm pretty burned out on MMOs, but having fun with this on (no one is more surprised than me). It doesn't fit the WoW-clone formula. It's a lot closer to playing Starfleet Command in a persistent setting than playing WorldEverLordoftheDungeonQuestCraft or whatever the latest clone is.

Does it have the pure and unequaled polish and detail that WoW does? The epic complexity of EVE? No...but they obviously learned a thing or two about launch day. From my perspective, it was seamless.

Certainly not everyone's cup o' tea (and yeah, Cryptic/Atari are greedy bastards) but a lot of the venom in here is a bit unfounded. If you hate it, cool - I think L4D2 and Modern Warfare 2 are bad games, and I never tried them...people enjoy different things.

This is more of a hop in and blast a few Orion pirates and Birds of Prey (yes, at the earliest levels, it's mostly a turning fight, but it gets more involved as you advance), not a grind until you cry kind of game. I think people are right in that the initial rush will fade (people powerleveled to Admiral in no time) but that happens with every MMOG after the Powergamers move on. I think there's a core that will stick with this one, and without a divided population like WAR (where they gorged themselves then starved because they weren't scalable) it might just stick around awhile.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

^ This.

30. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 22:47 Talisorn

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 21:34:
Unfortunately, the interest in Star Trek Online seems to have caught Cryptic off-guard, despite the fan base of several hundred million people.

STO has a fanbase of several hundred million people does it? Uh huh. In Cryptic's dreams.
I think they might be referring to Star Trek fans. Not STO fans.

/endsarcasm

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 22:48.

26. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 19:58 Talisorn

space captain wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 19:10:
...He... He ...put ...creatures in our bodies to control our minds, ...made us say lies, ...do things. ...But we beat him. ...He thought he controlled us, but he did not. The Captain was strong.
I've always wondered what becomes of my characters when I log off. Now I know ...

... disturbing.

Mead wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 19:51:
Everyone should have an Overon filter. It's so nice to be told what I meant to post.
Nah. Nobody wants Overon Filters. Just like that Multi-phasic Cynicism Inducer, you can't get rid of it on the exchange. Oh well ... into the replicator they go to turn them into energy credits.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 20:05.

13. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 18:01 Talisorn

joe2tiger wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 16:08:
I consider myself a Star Trek fan but I don't think I would enjoy this game. I'm kinda burned out on MMOs and I don't want to collect 20 tachyon crystals from a cave on Planet B. I'm kinda tired of the WoW or Everquest formula.
Your loss then.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Midnight Madness
28. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 1, 2010, 21:34 Talisorn

Overon wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 18:44:
I predict star wars galaxies and the matrix's fate for this.
Star Wars Galaxies is still going.

News Comments > Aus Gamers 4 Croydon Interview
1. Re: Aus Gamers 4 Croydon Interview Feb 1, 2010, 17:36 Talisorn

G4C won't unseat Atkinson. He's too much of a political bully and thug to allow them to get too serious. He'll spread lies, misinformation and slander. He'll throw mud. And he'll still get voted back in.

The best G4C can hope for with regards to the electorate itself is to embarrass him by stealing some percentage points from him. Which will still be a good result in my opinion.

Where the real difference will be if they get a candidate in the upper house. THEN they will have real power.

19. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 1, 2010, 17:31 Talisorn

Ant wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 16:27:
NEEEEEEEEEERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's your point?

18. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 1, 2010, 17:30 Talisorn

space captain wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 16:02:
I like the game. And I want to play it once it's finished but at the moment is a big mess. I'm guessing the first 2 months are going to be full of balance tweaks and adjustments that will end up changing the game so much there won't be much benefit from the time and energy put into playing it now.

EVERY SINGLE MMORPG IS RELEASED LIKE THIS

Sad but true. Companies rely on that online patching system you need to go through before at the beginning of every MMORPG to distribute "the magic fixes" that they don't bother doing on release. Cryptic are no worse than any other developer in this respect ... but sadly, no better.

It's not like single player game developers try the same thing really ... oh wait!

News Comments > Cities XL Online Closing - Cities XL 2011 Revealed
2. Re: Cities XL Online Closing - Cities XL 2011 Revealed Jan 27, 2010, 16:29 Talisorn

Why they don't offer a FTP for the Planet Offer with micro-transactions for selling new bits, I don't know. That might actually be a decent business model for them.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 16:30.

News Comments > Lord of Ultima in Beta
6. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 26, 2010, 23:41 Talisorn

Icewind wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 23:20:
Ultima died the day Pagan came out.

/end
While I didn't mind the later games in the series, Ultima 7 (Parts 1 and 2) were the pinnacle. I still regard it as one of the greatest games ever made.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo