Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Braun

Real Name Michael Braun   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Talisorn
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 15, 2003, 02:59
Total Comments 887 (Graduate)
User ID 19028

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay Details
42. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 01:18 Talisorn

Prez wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 00:01:
Anyone pirating games should be ashamed.

Anyone who defends such paranoid and intrusive DRM that shows such disrespect to paying customers ought to be ashamed as well, but you're too busy playing Ubi-apologist and casting mass insults.
Ubi-apologist? Did you read my last post? Didn't I say it was poor form on their part to blame users for the Settlers 7 debacle? Didn't I say they had poor-QA?

And you'd can hardly call this form of DRM as intrusive. It adds 5 seconds to the starting of the game. That's it! Intrusive is loading drivers onto your machine and screwing up your optical drives. Intrusive is opening security holes in your operating system. Intrusive is NOT applying the same restriction that you would require for a multiplayer game, regardless if it's single player or not.

And if the insults your talking about is the "whiny bitches" remark, come off it! This place is hardly the place you go to for a balanced viewpoint when it comes to issues like this? The only people I've seen complain more about some issues is the "No Mutants Allowed" mob. But don't worry too much; the Blues crew is not even in their league.

Jerykk wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 01:03:
And how many potential customers did it deter from buying the game? I know I'm one and I know several others on this forum are as well.
Yeh, Jerykk. I know your stance on piracy. I personally find your stance reprehensible, but that's just my opinion. I don't think anything will deter you from your "wicked ways" you unless you get personally get ripped off in the same way. Even then I'm not sure you'd make the connection.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 01:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Access with Preorders
9. Re: StarCraft II Beta Access with Preorders Apr 21, 2010, 23:19 Talisorn

Bah. I've pre-ordered, but I'm damned if I'm trying out the beta. You end up burning yourself out on an unfinished, buggy mess. Just roll on the finished product, baby.  

39. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 23:09 Talisorn

Overon wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 22:48:
Talisorn: tell that to the people on the settlers 7 ubisoft forum. They can't play and after ubisoft did the standard blame game, "it's your firewall", "it's your router", "it's your isp", ubsisoft finally posted that they have technicians working on the problem(s). When the problem is not your firewall, your router, or your isp and you pay 60 bucks for a game, it's fucking inexcusable to not be able to play it because of draconian DRM authentication does not work for them.
Oh ... I completely agree with you. But that kind of problem is EXACTLY the same as if there was a serious bug in the core gameplay that affects only a sub-set of users. Those problems are not a fault of the core design. It's a fault in the QA/testing process that let these kinds of bugs through; it's very poor.

And it is shameful that any company would blame the user's setup for it as well. PC games should cater for all PC environments (within the specs and within reason) ... not just the ideal setup.

This kind of problem is not unique to DRM. How many times have people complained on forums that they "can't get Game X working on PC Y" and other posters howl them down that it's their fault. Funny that when the bug is in DRM, it's immediately NOT their fault ( ... which it shouldn't be anyway).

37. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 22:16 Talisorn

Flatline wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 18:29:
Talisorn wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 18:02:
The DRM isn't going anywhere. They're even leveraging off it to give a reason to be online, adding enticements to play through the games and get "free stuff" if you complete achievements.

All your moaning has achieved nothing except make you look like a bunch of whiny bitches. Just build a bridge and GET OVER IT ALREADY.

I disagree strongly. It took years, but the rootkits that used to represent the popular form of DRM have fallen out of favor specifically because of consumer complaints and how it eventually cut into sales.
The difference is that Rootkits were causing damage, either physical (such as Starforce) or opening security holes in the operating systems (such as the one used by Sony). Ubisoft's DRM does not cause damage (at least that we know of). If you can prove it does cause damage, I'll drop it like a tonne of bricks, like I did with Starforce.

Until then "Awww ... but I don't like it" is all you've got. Sure, that's your choice and you can own that. For me, it's no different than the MMO's I play so often so it's no big impost on me. And I don't believe your "fight", "resistance" or what ever you want to call it ... that's a load of bullshit in my opinion. Anything that combats or slows down the rampant piracy that is killing the PC gaming industry is a good thing, as long as it's not harmful or obtrusive.

35. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 19:37 Talisorn

Sempai wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 19:09:
Darks wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 18:33:
BTW, as of earlier today, AC2 was offically cracked! The special note to Ubi is funny.

Special Notes
Thank you Ubisoft, this was quiete a challenge for us, but
nothing stops the leading force from doing what we do. Next
time focus on the game and not on the DRM. It was probably
horrible for all legit users. We just make their lifes easier.

Thats pure win.
Actually it's not. The fact that it's taken this long has deterred a few "day one pirates" who may well have gone out to buy the game instead.

The statement above is justification for a bunch of low-life thieves who just want to steal from the mouths of developers. The statement is pure fail. Anyone pirating games should be ashamed.

News Comments > Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights
11. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 21, 2010, 18:10 Talisorn

Hmmm .... two of my favorite games right now are LotRO and DDO. It could go two ways:
* Warner leaves Turbine to do their shit and scoop the profits (hell they may even invest in Turbine to help them do their shit), or
* Warner fuck over both games by interfering.

I pray it's the former.

31. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 18:02 Talisorn

The funny thing is that all your complaining is just making you look like a perverse parody of a pity parade.

The DRM isn't going anywhere. They're even leveraging off it to give a reason to be online, adding enticements to play through the games and get "free stuff" if you complete achievements.

All your moaning has achieved nothing except make you look like a bunch of whiny bitches. Just build a bridge and GET OVER IT ALREADY.

Verno wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 10:48:
This is what they should do instead of DRM, not try to do both.
Kind of true. If they had done this in the first place, emphasising the need to be online all the time was to take advantage of the achievement system, then maybe the press wouldn't have been as bad ...

... that said, you lot would still complain.

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success
116. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 19, 2010, 18:30 Talisorn

Jerykk wrote on Apr 19, 2010, 02:51:
Ah. So that's how you justify piracy.

I guess..? Should I be ashamed that I don't throw my money away on a whim? Or that I think the best way to judge a game is to actually play it?
No. you don't throw money away at a whim. You find reviews that you believe you can trust (and read them rather than just rely on final scores), do some research and then determine whether or not you want to buy the game.

On that note, with regard to Silent Hunter 5 ... if you are a fan of Sub-Sims, then I can personally recommend it. While I won't don't have the time to write a personal review for you, I can tell you that after logging more than 80 hours I am thoroughly enjoying it and have yet to encounter a single problem with the DRM. There you go. You can go out and buy it now without pirating it ...

... I can't see that happening though.

111. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 18, 2010, 18:03 Talisorn

Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 15:35:
Really? So if Ubisoft did all this, you'd be first in line to buy their games right?

No, I'm never first in line because I don't buy games without playing them first. But if the games prove to be good, I do buy them, as opposed to the current situation where I'll never buy any Ubisoft game that has this DRM.

Ah. So that's how you justify piracy.

94. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 17, 2010, 08:04 Talisorn

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 16:00:
How about they back up thier BS with some facts. Has this new DRM resulted in more sales?
Just hypothetically ... if they said it increased sales, would you believe them? Even if it HAD increased sales, would you believe them? Facts or no, I don't think anything they say would convince you anyway.

News Comments > WoW, That's an Expensive Horse
65. Re: land of rape and honey Apr 16, 2010, 06:05 Talisorn

space captain wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 04:19:
suckers.. grab that teet, baby
Damned if they didn't cover that teat with cocaine as well.

32. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 16, 2010, 00:47 Talisorn

Jerykk wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 22:58:
$25. Wow. This is quite easily the worst-value DLC I've ever seen. It makes the MW2 map pack look like a bargain.
I wonder how much the horse armor is .....

... you know it had to be said.

2. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 15, 2010, 22:53 Talisorn

Ghostcrawler really delivered on the pony ... but a a price! Blizzard have been charging for stuff for years. Originally it was "services" like character transfers ... then pets ... now mounts. And from all accounts there's a queue around the corner for these new critters; people on WoW.com were reporting they were several thousand deep in the queue.

Blizzard are just milking and milking and milking that cow. She just keeps on giving.

News Comments > More Infinity Ward Departures
28. Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Apr 14, 2010, 18:02 Talisorn

Jackplug wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 17:44:
All activision has now is an empty name and an IP called CoD, nothing more.
Now if Blizzard were to extricate themselves from the deal, that WOULD be true.

News Comments > Bruckheimer on Movie Games and Game Movies
1. Re: Bruckheimer on Movie Games and Game Movies Apr 13, 2010, 22:27 Talisorn

No different than creating a movie from a theme ride? Ahem ...

When people play games, it's a very personal experience. They take part in the action and as such [/feel/] they have a personal stake in what happens. How is any movie (which IS essentially a theme park ride) going to compare to people own personal experiences ... even if it is a fictitious one? And when it doesn't, the movie doesn't just bomb ... it BOMBS!

Perhaps it you think that a video game is just a ride on a theme park, perhaps you don't understand the nature of what games are nowadays.

News Comments > Earthrise Delayed
3. Re: Earthrise Delayed Apr 13, 2010, 18:15 Talisorn

Isn't this the game that Interplay were backing as an excuse to stop Bethesda developing a Fallout MMO?  

News Comments > StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia
24. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 18:13 Talisorn

RussianGirl wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 17:50:
Well, in Soviet Russia, many of people unfortunately can't afford $60 games. If you go at the legal Russian market, you can buy PC-games for $10-$30. It doesn't include english voices, but it's cheaper. And what Blizzard is doing is just a reasonable anti-piracy measure.

Sounds reasonable to me actually. It sounds like a good idea for cash-strapped students as well.

It's what people have been complaining about Windows for years: "If they made the OS cheaper maybe people would buy it". Blizzard have come up with the idea; lets see if it floats before condemning it. Or is that too "progressive" for some of y'all.

News Comments > Free CryENGINE Plans
4. Re: Free CryENGINE Plans Apr 12, 2010, 21:20 Talisorn

If the JC2 engine was multiplayer, that would rock even harder.  

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve"
75. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 16:31 Talisorn

Reactor wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 09:35:
ROFLMAO @

Congratulations on your 12th birthday.

So. I'm pretty safe in saying that I was gaming well before you were an itch in your daddy's crotch. When it comes to the evolution of gaming, I've seen it all. Revolution? Resistance? Stop kidding yourselves. This is one more move down the line. When it becomes the norm (and it will eventually), are you going to stop gaming? The concept is simply ahead of it's time. When broadband and wireless connections become the norm and you can become connected from anywhere then this type of DRM will become the norm. Accept it.

You don't like it? So be it. There are lots of things to not like about it. The always on part is not ideal. The cloud saves are. No having to go hunting for disks is as well. The DRM simply needs to evolve into something that gives more than it takes. Most people hate it because they believe it gives them less than it "takes" (not that it takes anything really).

And by the way, I've yet to hear this DRM has been hacked. All there is out there is anecdotal evidence from a bunch of people who are known to be lying, thieving, boasting arseholes who enjoy nothing more than stealing from software developers. Pirates are the new revolution? Send them to the gallows, just like the good old days! (That last part was a joke, by the way).

Times change. The world changes. How many of you were bitterly complaining about Steam when it started doing it's thing? In ten years time, you'll all be wondering why you were all spouting such shit.

EDIT: That said (in a rather provocative manner I'll admit, but no less heartfelt), I can at least respect your stance if you don't like it. It's a shame that the rest of you can't seem respect a position that is polar opposite to your own.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2010, 17:14.

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve"
61. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 08:25 Talisorn

Creston wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 22:53:
MTechnik wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 20:04:
Talisorn wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 18:02:
I never had a single problem with SH5 either. I'd say that not one of the whining many here have even tried a game with this DRM.
You're right. Those that said "as long as this DRM doesn't allow offline gaming, we're not spending our money on it" haven't spent their money on it. If they did, it wouldn't be much of a resistance.

That's getting way too technical for the "if it works for me, there must therefore never exist a problem with it anywhere else" group. Don't waste your breath.

Creston

ROFLMAO @ your delusions of superiority. You assume that I am just willing to put up with the DRM because it just works for me. Correction smart mouth: I actually don't see any problem with the DRM. I believe that with some improvements it could be quite good.

And if you don't agree, I couldn't give a big sloppy shit. You have your opinions. I have mine.

887 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo