Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SimonG

Real Name SimonG   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimonG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 3, 2003, 22:04
Total Comments 4 (Suspect)
User ID 18890

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > On Half-Life 2
8. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2003, 10:34 SimonG

Valve is certainly getting a lot of press coverage at the moment - Certainly won't make up for the recent issues but at least there may be some positeve benefits in the long term.

I've been following this story since day 1 and I agree it's getting a bit old at the moment - I just want Valve to release the game so that all this can be forgotten about.

With the leaks over the past week one thing that's occured to me is that maybe Valve weren't so slack in their NW protection after all.
Yes, the source got leaked which is VERY bad,and yes it looks like a semi-playable version of the game has also leaked - BUT, from the comments I've been reading people say that it's far less complete than the E3 build and that was supposedly a build that was 1yr old.

The Anon hacker gives the impression that he got "everything" off Valves network, but maybe the latest code was actually on an isolate NW that he couldn't get access to!. This would possibly explain why this build looks to be missing details that were in the E3 demo !?.

I'm really hoping this is the case and that what people actually have is a very old build that was accidentally left on someone's PC.

Anyway, we'll just have to see what happens over the next couple of weeks

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Delay? Maybe, Playable? Yes
53. Re: Latest info (I should tell Blue! ;-) Oct 7, 2003, 18:27 SimonG

Valve & Vivendi really seem to have communication problems.

1. Vivendi announce delay
2. Valve deny delay
3. Valve still deny delay
4. Valve confirm delay 1-week before release date
5. Valve announce delay until "holiday"
6. Vivendi announce delay of 6months from original Sept 30th date
7. Valve deny delay
8. goto 1

Does anyone see a pattern developing here?
My guess is that Valve will eventually confirm a delay until 2004 but probably not for a while yet.

News Comments > Halo PC & Patch Released
140. Re: Halo Performance Woes Oct 6, 2003, 12:02 SimonG

Got Halo over the weekend and have to say it's been fun so far....BUT....

I agree with people ref the graphics. The whole game seems to be a mixed bag, with some scenes looking amazing and running smooth as butter - but other scenes that run like a 1 legged dog. One thing that struck me was the grass in the otside levels - if I crouch and look at the ground it's all pixelly. Does everyone else get this as it looks awful. Stranglely, I can go up close to a tree and the detail stays sharp - I find it odd that the ground textures used are so low.

With ref to the performance - Something has gone very wrong here somewhere !.
I'm sure that many people remember when Halo was headed for a PC before MS sngged it for the Xbox - Well, all the videos we saw at the time were supposedly running at 1024 x 768 and were smooth as butter - and this was on 3yr old technology !!!. I believe that the HW that Bungie used to demo the game at that time was a P3 1Ghz with 256MB mem and a nVideaTNT2 Ultra (64MB) graphics card - Hardly speedy at all by todays standards.
I know that they've added pixel shaders into the game but has this really causes such a performance hit compared to the original HW platform that it was intended to be released on? Looking back at the original vids of the game I can't really see any effects that PS have added that warrants such a performance hit.
I'd have rather had higher detail textures (Especially the grass).

Don't get me wrong - I'm really enjoying the game, but something's gone wrong with the port somewhere along the line - and as mentioned, Halo was originally going to released on the PC over 2yrs ago so I'd imagine that they must have had approx 30fps at that time on much older HW.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Source Code Leak
242. Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 3, 2003, 18:28 SimonG

I'm a regular visitor to BluesNews but this is my 1st time posting.

Valve certainly have some big probs at the moment, but there's a few things that bother me over this whole HL2 delay/leak thing.

1. Valve say that Gabe had someone accessing their mail systems etc several weeks ago. This would explain thew recent hoax emails sent out to several sites saying the game "would" still be released on thee 30th Sept - BUT, if I was a hacker with intimate access to all Gabes emails I would have known that the game had been delayed weeks ago so I'm surprised that this was never leaked.

2. The recent ATI launch event was supposedly going to be spearheaded by HL2. Even the location & date appears to have been chosen with this in mind. Seems strange to go to all that trouble for a game that wasn't ready to be released/shown. These events are VERY expensive and I can't see that ATI would have made such a big investment about HL2 without substantial assurances from Valve that the game would be ready to release. Those that did attend the event have commented on the fact that it's not at all what they were expecting (i.e. to see HL2 in all it's glory)

3. Why was only the source code stolen?. I'm not expert but I don't see why Gabe would only have JUST uncompiled source code on his machine - I'd imagine that it's unusable without the content!? (Unless of course the whole game HAS been stolen but not released yet !)

4. I found it strange that Gabe went into so much detail as to how the code was taken. Most companies would try and cover themselves by being a little more vague - May only prove how upset Valve are over this whole episode.

With ref to 1, I personally believe that HL2 *WAS* completed and ready for it's official launch at the ATI event on the 30th Sept, but the realisation that the source code had been stolen completely screwed everything up.
This may also explain why the game was delayed just a week from it's release date.

Some have said that the reason the code was stolen in the 1st place was as revenge for Valve delaying the game - but at the time of the intrusion into Vale's systems the game was still on course for it's Sept 30th release. Add to that the fact that whoever hacked their mail server appears to have been unaware of any delay (or I suspect they would have leaked this info), then I suspect that the delay of the game is a result of the leak and not the other way round.

Some may say "release the game anyway and then patch it" in order to get around any online cheats that may come from the leak but I don't believe that would work - if you have the source code you can work out what's been patched and work round it. The only real way to fix this is to re-write some of the code from scratch so I'm afraid that we're probably going to have to wait some time for Hl2 to be released.

On the positive side, the new "holiday" release date was made AFTER Valve knew what had happened so they've probably taken this into account. So hopefully we're not looking at a 2004+ release date at least.......Hopefully anyway.

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo