Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 9647 (Guru)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Clients From Hell Dec 14, 2010, 18:41 Kxmode

http://clientsfromhell.net/

"Innovation should be obvious."

------------

"I want them to know that it’s Christmas! Make the reindeer picture the newsletter background or get out of my office!"

------------

Our client said, “spend no more than 10 hours designing and programming it; I don’t want to spend more than $600.” We had spent 10 hours in meetings alone.

------------

"Stop. I can’t explain this to all my visitors. This is too complicated and I never had to do this before on any website. You have to make it work without this empty-cache-and-reload-thing."

------------

"Can you take the edges in and make it more roundy and less squarey."

------------

I was designing a series of posters advertising retirement accounts for a credit union. One had an elderly couple walking on a beach, holding hands, silhouetted against a sunset; another had a similar couple looking into the horizon from the bow of a cruise ship. The tagline on both was something to the effect of “It’s your retirement, what do you want from it?” The comments on the proofs came back (respectively) “It looks like they are walking into the sunset to die” and “It looks like they’re considering jumping overboard.”

I re-submitted some different concepts, but also commented that the client may want to contact their HR department for referral to a therapist.

------------

"Build me a website that looks like Edward Cullen from Twilight. I don’t care about that half-human chick he has a thing for; I just want to see him, but in the form of a website. Can you do this?"

------------

Me: “What makes you think they’re gay?”

Client: “That guy in front is wearing a polo shirt!”

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 18:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2010, 16:36 Kxmode

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 11:45:
Having been a rival as a Vikes fan to the Pack for my whole life

Do you pronounce Vikes as Vi-keys?

News Comments > OnLive Claims Cloud Gaming Patent
6. Re: OnLive Claims Cloud Gaming Patent Dec 14, 2010, 16:33 Kxmode

Gaikai might hear from OnLive's lawyer, Mr. Stephen Abootman.  

News Comments > Minecraft Beta Next Week
34. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 15:55 Kxmode

Kosumo wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 14:40:
Hey kxmode, you should build us a minecraft simulator in Second Life and then we may agree with you

I'll get started! I'll let you know... in about 15 years.

32. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 11:31 Kxmode

kylania wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 10:07:
kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 02:09:
All of the following was created by Second Life users:

The point is in Minecraft anyone can drop a few blocks here or there and make anything they can think of.

Your average SL user isn't going to make anything like the things in those SL videos. Your average MC user does make the things like in those MC videos.

So what you're saying is MC is like WOW while SL is like EVE Online. Thanks!

Jokes aside, there's always going to be more consumers than creators. In any industry only the gifted rise to the top. This will happen in MC as it has in SL. The only difference between SL and MC is Mindcraft looks very restrictive as far as creativity goes. You can't control the textures, music, sound, etc. You have to build your world from a set of pre-defined objects and rules.

The rules in SL are created by users, for users. If you want to own land you pay. Once you own a piece of land you set the rules for your property. The rules can be loose or strict. They can be freeform or locked to specific conditions to support some sort of RPG you wish to make.

Speaking of which if anyone wanted to get into game making SL might be a good platform to practice on. It has an advanced scripting engine. Prims are objects that can be twisted and bent to form complex objects. There are also high resolution templates for creating textures for avatars and objects. You can import sounds and music. You can also create animations called gestures. Actually, you could create an entire MMO inside SL; as many have done. Basically SL mimics the same basic characteristics game making engines offer. If you're familiar with FPS editors then you have an idea what SL is like.

By the way I'm an average SL user and I've made creative stuff. Off hand I made a Grim Fandango avatar from scratch (even created the textures).

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 11:50.

24. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 02:09 Kxmode

Dev wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 00:33:
Well first off, I've never seen the kinda cool videos of SL stuff like I see minecraft stuff. Like people building a huge model of earth, etc. Every video I've seen reminds me of WoW. I've done MMO's before and paid for them monthly and also done betas. I'm not really interested in doing SL based on the videos of gameplay I've seen.

Secondly, SL was basically built to make money. Its not an indie thing. You buy and sell game currency for real money.

But hey, if you dig up some cool youtubes of cool creations, I might give it a try.

All of the following was created by Second Life users:

Myst's Channelwood in Second Life (wow!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EBp033eLM

The Next Day (Sci-fi/Cyberpunk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1abcpFIFI

Pirate Island of Jabberwock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2daJyzzfJE

SL Sailing Tutorial (combat ships)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mk8pqPr0rc

Retropolis (Myst like)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5eIMs2oCs

Smuggler's Moon (From The Old Republic)
http://secondlife.com/destination/smuggler-s-moon
Compare the screenwith with this:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/17674/Nar-Shaddaa-Smugglers-Moon-Revealed

Deshima (Sci-fi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_0JlQHwU-I (station's exterior)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqKeBOpkxkA (station's interior)

Caledon (Steampunk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyDTDzwleic

Dead End (Post Apocalyptic Police vs Zombies)
http://deadend.sl/drop
http://secondlife.com/destination/dead-end

Needless to say I think Second Life is VERY cool! People can, of course, focus on the stuff SL is known for (furies, cybersex BS, etc.) but beneath all that crap there are generally really cool virtual environments to explore. All of it is free to visit. The client is free to download and there are no monthly fees until you decide you want to own land.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 02:31.

20. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 00:07 Kxmode

Why do so many of you love this but there's no mention of Second Life? From my experience SL offers a lot of what MindCraft offers. And yes, I'm aware of the negative uses of SL. Still, for all intents and purposes it is an open sandbox platform where you can create anything you want. And it isn't pixelated.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 01:33.

14. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 13, 2010, 21:51 Kxmode

World of Mindcraft. YYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH! Cool  

News Comments > Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours
42. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 18:30 Kxmode

Tumbler wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 16:52:
But then I got a mission that said to go see someone in darkshore which is right below my little newb island and I can't figure out how to get there... I can go to stormhelm or something and the other ship kicks me off because I don't have burning crusade.

Talk the Flight Master in Rut'theran Village. He looks like a Night Elf standing next to pair of winged lion creatures. You should visit http://www.wowwiki.com/ for general information.

22. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 12:39 Kxmode

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 12:19:
I gotta say (for the first time) they deserved it. This expansion is by far the best one of them all. It sucks that its only 5 levels (I got them in 2 days), but the zones and quests are simply awesome and this time actually deliver an RPG-worthy atmosphere and immersion. I honestly never thought I would say that.

When I played Beta I created a character for each race on both factions. The content from all the newbie zones is amazing. And then go through the pre-defined questing path. That alone makes up for only having 5 levels. Of course if you only played one faction then it might not have as much impact when you experience the Cataclysm sub-plots. On the Alliance side there's Zenn Foulhoof, a satyr familiar to many night elf players for his appearance near the starting area, has finally been kicked out of Teldrassil for performing perverse magic. The origins for the popular skeletal remains in Master’s Glaive become much clearer. On the Horde side there’s Mankrik! You’ll find out what happened with this stalwart warrior and his wife!

19. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 12:31 Kxmode

Sencho wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 12:23:
kxmode wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 12:03:
Yes, it does... big time, but the game is also dumbed down.
Step into a Cataclysm era dungeon and compare it to a LK dungeon. The complexity there was brought up several notches.

I'm not referring to the dungeons, I'm referring to the leveling process.

17. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 12:29 Kxmode

ASeven wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 12:20:
kxmode wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 12:04:
I think it's safe to say Blizzard is the last, great exclusive PC developer/publisher. They are keeping the torch of PC gaming burning brightly. You have to at least love them for that.

Indies.

You missed the part where I said "great". Great as in size and scope. Indies are definitely not that.

10. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 12:04 Kxmode

JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 11:28:
Lemme see here...3,300,000 x $40...carry the one...

Yup, that's $132M in a day.

Or $5.5M an hour.

In effect, damn near $100K a minute.

It cost them 100M to create the expansion. Basically they recouped their development costs in one day.

I think it's safe to say Blizzard is the last, great exclusive PC developer/publisher. They are keeping the torch of PC gaming burning brightly. You have to at least love them for that.

9. Re: Cataclysm Sells 3.3m in 24 Hours Dec 13, 2010, 12:03 Kxmode

kimbambaman wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 11:27:
So I haven't played WoW since before the first expansion came out. I think I got as high as level 35 and got tired of it. Does Cataclysm change the game enough (or the other expansions for that matter) that I should give it another look? Or is the same interminable series of fetch and kill quests plagued by gold seller spam?

Yes, it does... big time, but the game is also dumbed down. This doesn't necessarily mean it is any less fun. It's just "different".

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
5. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Dec 13, 2010, 11:58 Kxmode

Can someone explain to me why a CG movie like this hasn't been made and released in cinemas yet? Why do studios continue to release CG movies like Despicable Me, Igor, Toy Story, UP, Tangled, Cars, Clone Wars, and so forth? Is there something that is keeping Hollywood from making a film like this trailer?  

News Comments > CoD DoS Arrest
59. Re: CoD DoS Arrest Dec 12, 2010, 22:31 Kxmode

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 11, 2010, 13:47:
Now that we're talking about candy.. I have to say something: Chocolate in America blows. If you ever get near a store that imports chocolate from Europe.. buy "Kinder" chocolate. My American family plus like whole freaking Connecticut by now is convinced and will agree with me. Hershey(sp?) chocolate is a joke.

Don't feel offended. Trust me, a new world opens up after ye followed my advice. ^^

Deutschland Schokolade is THE BEST chocolate in the history of world... ever! Mmmmmm.... schokolade...

28. Re: Dial-up Modems Dec 12, 2010, 22:28 Kxmode

Ant wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 00:40:
kxmode wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 00:31:
Nameless Again wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 17:46:
AT
ATDT
ATZ
AT&C1&D2

Oh god, I still remember it...

That modem connecting sound haunts my nightmares
Then, use ATM0.

Just for kicks: http://www.lazylaces.com/56Kmodem/ ... :P

Oh the humanity!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced
41. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 22:17 Kxmode

the game will be using an all new engine, which we would guess is id's Tech 5 engine being created for RAGE and DOOM 4.

For all intents and purposes Gamebryo was a flawed engine, which is why they bought id. They knew they would need to create a new nextgen engine. So it was cheaper and more cost effective to buy the company that invented the FPS and game engine genres. And the rest as they say is history...

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2010, 00:31 Kxmode

Nameless Again wrote on Dec 10, 2010, 17:46:
AT
ATDT
ATZ
AT&C1&D2

Oh god, I still remember it...

That modem connecting sound haunts my nightmares

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Extension, Shakeup
11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Extension, Shakeup Dec 11, 2010, 11:47 Kxmode

we have decided to extend the free trial period until after we can confidently present customers with a plan outlining a level of enjoyment that will satisfy both us and our customers.

Well that statement put me to sleep...

9647 Comments. 483 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo