Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Here's my full communication with CIG requesting a refund. http://pastebin.com/mSM29KZs This contains eye opening evidence.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 10839 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises
17. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 15:04 Kxmode

Frijoles wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 13:11:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:48:
TangledThorns wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:39:
As much as I loved the last game I don't want to pay $60. I'll wait till I see a deal.

And that's fine. The $60 price tag is a premium for early adopters.

Or $43 if you use the code that was posted a couple days ago for GMG (27% off). They have a 20% off code on the front of their site, too.

OR $43 IF YOU USE THE CODE THAT WAS POSTED A COUPLE DAYS AGO FOR GMG (27% OFF).

thanks!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 14:58 Kxmode

sauron wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 13:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 13:02:
sauron wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:51:
I'm too busy with Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity (and maybe Assassin's Creed series) to look at this.

Witcher 3 is great, but the early stages were a bit frustrating. Damn game is so huge that I have trouble getting everything straight. And when I think I have it all figured out, I realize I missed a whole other system (eg crafting). Or I finish a quest and realize it has blocked me from finishing up a bunch of other quests (I'm looking at you, White Orchard). Or I stop to look at a pretty church, and get eaten by a wraith from the graveyard that's like 8 levels above me.

Here's what I did. Do one or two of the main quests then go do a lot of side quests. Think of the main quest as dessert and the side quests and activities as the 4-course meal. If you do that it won't be so overwhelming.

Thanks, I'll do that. I think I'm going to re-load a save from before I got kicked out of White Orchard - just realized the place is full of low level side quests that I completely missed.

Anyone else enjoy the peasants' chat as you ride around the village? They're all gossiping about all sorts of things, and some of it is pretty funny and/or saucy. Very entertaining.

You should be able to go back to White Orchard. Go to the map and then I believe you press spacebar to go to the world map. From the world map you can revisit White Orchard. Because they're side quests they should still be available.

9. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 13:02 Kxmode

sauron wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:51:
I'm too busy with Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity (and maybe Assassin's Creed series) to look at this.

Witcher 3 is great, but the early stages were a bit frustrating. Damn game is so huge that I have trouble getting everything straight. And when I think I have it all figured out, I realize I missed a whole other system (eg crafting). Or I finish a quest and realize it has blocked me from finishing up a bunch of other quests (I'm looking at you, White Orchard). Or I stop to look at a pretty church, and get eaten by a wraith from the graveyard that's like 8 levels above me.

Here's what I did. Do one or two of the main quests then go do a lot of side quests. Think of the main quest as dessert and the side quests and activities as the 4-course meal. If you do that it won't be so overwhelming.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2016, 12:59 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 21:47:
That robot with the Rubik's cube is nuts.

I bet Will Smith could do it faster.

7. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 12:48 Kxmode

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:39:
As much as I loved the last game I don't want to pay $60. I'll wait till I see a deal.

And that's fine. The $60 price tag is a premium for early adopters.

6. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 12:45 Kxmode

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:29:
"including 4k resolution"

Which every single game made in the last 10 years supports, so long as it lets the driver tell the game what resolutions your system (videocard and monitor) support. How is this a feature?

Because the developer has to make sure they actually include 4K textures otherwise even if the game upsizes to 4K the game is going to look like ass. Also, at 4K resolution all of the UI elements would need to be adjusted so that they are not microscopic.

Sybaritic Gamers with beefy gaming systems will want the quality of their 4K games to be the best possible.

"advanced graphics"

Relative to what? A console? I bet it looks the exact same as those shitty, 5-years-behind, 2005-Dell-laptop-emulators, since it was made for fucking consoles...

Well, for starters, during game play the character models don't look like the hot mess character models of Fallout 4. In this game they actually look pre-rendered and cinematic quality.

"Pure Hair technology"

Oh jesus fucking christ. Excuse me while I go stab a baby.

Well if you have a "5-years-behind, 2005-Dell-laptop-emulators" then hair isn't a big deal, but it does add to the realism. Geralt as well as the wildlife in Witcher 3 look much better with "pure hair technology".

I believe you should pass on this game since its existence so clearly angers you.

1. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 10:18 Kxmode

Gamers should take IGN quotes in game advertisements with a grain of salt. They have been known to receive "compensation" in exchange for glowing reviews.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2016, 15:06 Kxmode

That League of Legends article shows that World of Warcraft made $814 million last year; no doubt a ton of money for a 11-year old game. Additionally the vibe I'm getting from people online is the pre-orders for Legion are high and many are ready to come back. I personally pre-ordered Legion and I plan on playing it on release day. I think WOW is in no danger of collapsing any time soon. WOTLK was the last time I did this.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
27. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 14:56 Kxmode

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 14:30:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 10:57:
I'm not sure what you mean with "background in AAA". What's "AAA"?

"AAA" (triple A) means big budget games from big companies that people care about like say Mass effect 2 or Supreme commander. When the whole crowdfunding thing took off, anyone with any idea of how much game development costs have increased from the 90's into the 2000's and the huge problems developers had transitioning from small teams to teams of hundreds which caused a lot of cock-ups in games released during those periods knew to be massively skeptical. Because they were in the know of how hard it is to make games and the bigger the scope of the game the higher the risk of disaster, more people, more more work, points of failure, etc.

The further you go back in time the less work a typical videogame was to produce in that it was more manageable in terms of man hours/talent to produce focused serious games. This means while many uglier (by modern standards) games during the 90's got produced, they also had a tendency to be more focused and less disaster prone because the time to make models/artwork/etc was not as time consuming. This lead to a cottage industry of gamers/amateurs modding games during gamings golden years during the 90's. Things that have been severely curtailed post in the post 2000 era as developers shifted to locked down platforms like consoles for easy $ for the new kiddies growing up.

For those of us who follow or work in the game industry we have a good idea of what making certain kinds of games cost and being able to predict whether a game will be good or not before development even starts by looking at who's involved and the budget.

Whether a game is good or not has a lot do with the team size, the scope of the game and the time available for the team to actually make the thing.

Thanks! Yeah. Most definitely. I agree with all that. I have to say that because the crowdfunding public mostly doesn't have a AAA background then it absolutely behooves the crowdfunding company to be fully upfront and honest with those they are trying to get money from. First and foremost they can't be making all these grandiose promises and then not delivering them.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2016, 14:23 Kxmode

KGO 810 San Francisco has the editor from GameSpot on the show now. They're discussing video games.

http://www.iheart.com/live/kgo-810-san-francisco-5338/

This is so cool! It's live now (at the time of this writing).

23. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 10:57 Kxmode

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 02:10:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 00:58:
I'm done with crowdfunding and early access. Battletech is going to be the last crowdfunded game I back. What Inxile is doing seems like a sucker punch to those who backed high amounts for early access Alphas and Betas.

Not really, the reality is they will try to get as much money as possible because making AAA games on shoestring budgets is really what has been causing the kickstarter disasters. The reason things like planetary annihilation and others were so controversially fucked up is that it didn't take in enough money to make the thing.

Anyone with any background in AAA knew kickstarter/crowdfunding is simply not giving enough to fund the games.

The reality is game developers know gamers are stupid and easily exploitable, the rise of MMO's, steam and F2p is a case in point. The reality is most gamers are so passive and eager to get a game they will take anything up the ass from the corporate world.

I'm not sure what you mean with "background in AAA". What's "AAA"?

I agree with a lot of what you say, although it's buried under too much hyperbole and over-generalization. There's a huge difference between funding something in exchange for promised incentives versus someone being exploited. For example When I backed Star Citizen for $930 at no time during the course of my backing did I believe I was being conned. I believed Chris and took his word as gospel when he made promises on delivery time, project cost, and scope. However when it became very apparent that his promises were in fact lies that's when I decided enough was enough and requested a refund. CIG has been honorable enough to refund all my money, which I am grateful for.

I'm saying after years of being exposed to crowdfunding and early access the only conclusion I can draw is it is a sucker's game. Developers continue to make grandiose promises that they know they cannot reasonably or even feasibly fulfill in the hopes of infusing their project with the most amount of money possible. From the beginning they lie simply by showing you how much money they need when the project will cost A LOT more to complete. If, using Star Citizen as an example, Chris had gone to the public and said, "I want to build a modern, fully realized, space sim MMO with an engine not designed to do this. I need about 150 million and it will take about 6 years." most people wouldn't have funded it. They would have just rolled their eyes and told Chris to go back to Hollywood and produce films. The fact that Chris pitched that they only need $500,000 and then it blew up to over $100 million is the reason why these charlatans should be held accountable for their actions.

If you don't believe me watch this video on Psychonauts 2 and Tim Schafer on the FIG crowdfunding platform. Here's the diagram of the complex matrix of shell companies created to protect Tim Schafer and his investors from backer backlash (like that?).

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2016, 11:15.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2016, 01:14 Kxmode

An amazing effect are those you don't know are effects and TFA had a lot of those.  

15. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 00:58 Kxmode

I'm done with crowdfunding and early access. Battletech is going to be the last crowdfunded game I back. What Inxile is doing seems like a sucker punch to those who backed high amounts for early access Alphas and Betas.  

21. Re: Why Snow Shoveling is an Unusually Deadly Type of Exercise Jan 26, 2016, 13:28 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 19:59:
Because the fools didn't buy a snow blower!

Otherwise known as Snow Flamethrowers. Flamethrower

Grin

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2016, 23:05 Kxmode

bigspender wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 20:30:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 11:37:
Verno wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 09:09:
Stalin comparison is just a little bit over the top, holy weird.

Well it was either him or Hitler, and Hitler is pretty much played out. Godwin's Law makes it a joke.
What about Mao? he killed more people than Hitler and Stalin combined.

Dictator, not mass murderer. Gees people. I know most of you are educated, but sometimes comments like these give me pause.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jan 25, 2016, 22:59 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 14:38:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 10:51:
Baby Thrall vs Baby Shaun from Fallout 4: Who is the ugliest?

Baby Shaun, by far

Definitely!

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Delayed to Spring
3. Re: Mighty No. 9 Delayed to Spring Jan 25, 2016, 11:06 Kxmode

Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 10:52:
They seem to have done everything a kickstarter could do wrong:

• Play to nostalgia without recognizing that nostalgia is often impossible to live up to - check!

• Overpromise - check!

• Use an engine not directly designed for your needs - check!

• Hire toxic community managers to alienate your supporters - check!

• Delay & Excuses - check!

• I thought you were talking about Star Citizen

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2016, 11:50 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 05:31:
    Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 18:27:
    RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 15:14:
    Would love to but i am too busy helping a Nigerian prince trying to rescue his fathers wealth from the evil emperor.

Much success with that...

Funny, your story about Orem brought Nigerian princes to mind...

I really don't know how Orem's story, which comes directly from the website, can be compared to an email scam. Did you not see the pictures of Orem? Did you not see the after surgery photos? Rise Up Society isn't stealing people's money. They're genuinely using the money to try to help people like Orem who have had nothing but pain and misery their whole life. It's a human thing to show compassion and want to help. It's also a human thing to want to share Orem's story so that other's can help. Together we can make a difference in this young man's life. Is that not a noble effort?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2016, 11:37 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 09:09:
    Stalin comparison is just a little bit over the top, holy weird.

Well it was either him or Hitler, and Hitler is pretty much played out. Godwin's Law makes it a joke.

News Comments > Into the Black
    9. Re: Into the Black Jan 22, 2016, 11:32 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 03:14:
    Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 22:03:
    This is so awesome! Minitur Wunderland - Hamburg, Germany. The world's largest railway exhibit.

It's like visiting Disney World on your computer.

Yes watching fat overweight tourists wearing spandex (only American's for some reason) sweat in Florida summer humid heat, while walking side by side and taking up ALL walkways so you can't get away from the smell of burnt body cheese and sweat is just what I want to have access to at home.

That was a really dumb thing to post. I was referring to the world's largest railway exhibit, not the actual city of Hamburg, Germany. Do you remember when you were a kid and you wanted to make a really large train set? Probably not...

10839 Comments. 542 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo