Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ed

Real Name Ed   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tango
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 20, 2003, 11:58
Total Comments 3321 (Veteran)
User ID 18712

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
21. Re: house update Mar 2, 2007, 09:25 Tango

Also if you want to keep a long-term record of the construction, I'm not sure tinyurl is a good idea as I think they expire after a certain amount of time. Just a thought.
While keeping a record of the actual links is probably a good idea, I don't think TinyUrls do expire - at least not according to their website:

By entering in a URL in the text field below, we will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings and never expires.
- http://www.tinyurl.com

It's a very clever system TinyUrl. One of those things I would never think of.

www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.
This comment was edited on Mar 2, 09:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: No subject Mar 2, 2007, 07:16 Tango

So try that, and let us know if it changes your opinion since that's what you should have started with.
Will do. Thanks pal!

www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

29. Re: No subject Mar 1, 2007, 19:12 Tango

fred, please delete your life

28. Re: No subject Mar 1, 2007, 19:10 Tango

Thought I'd set myself a challenge today and get an old bunch of computer bits and try and install Linux on them just for kicks to see how Linux works. First impression: my GOD is Linux a long way from being ready to topple Windows for the average consumer.

Even in what I thought was a relatively friendly build (SuSe) the simple task (in Windows) of installing a wireless network card is beyond me. Following instructions to the letter doesn't result in the right things happening. It's an extremely frustrating O/S because as a fairly advanced Windows user the potential for an 'unshackled' O/S such as linux is huge, but it's just too steep a learning curve. An O/S which can't connect itself to the internet within half an hour of installation with minimal user commands (like every Windows beyond 98) is never going to catch on in the mainstream IMO.

Yes, it is because I am a linux n00b, but the O/S is so impenetrable (or seems to be) that I don't understand the information overload that even simple commands can result in. This doesnt make me want to carry on, it makes me want to install Win2000 and have done.

Rant over, sorry if this offends die-hard linuxers

Edit: All strictly IMHO.
This comment was edited on Mar 1, 19:11.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: No subject Mar 1, 2007, 15:59 Tango

I stopped reading at "less bottlenecks." I figure if IGN's writing staff can't write I shan't bother reading.

21. Re: B&B Feb 28, 2007, 16:21 Tango

Thanks WH, you have mail!

18. Re: B&B Feb 28, 2007, 15:19 Tango

Warhawk do you have an email address? I have a couple of California-related questions if you don't mind - nothing complicated or anything, just I don't want to clog up the boards.

Thanks in advance

37. Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:53 Tango

I bought a can of air
I know it's pressurised and so on, but those cans always make me laugh - you want me to pay... for air?!

36. Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:44 Tango

Thanks Enahs. That JunkScience article is excellent.

The first question I asked myself when this Global Warming (or "Climate Change" to use its current description) is who benefits? And I see a lot of people getting rich off carbon offsetting programs which don't do anything. I see extraordinary growth in associated 'ethical' products - Fair Trade, Organic movements (food, textiles, etc), alternative fuels, etc.

And then I see strange obsessions emerging. I don't know how it is in the USA, but in Europe the favourite whipping boy is air travel. Aeroplanes account for about 1% of man-made CO2. Given the height at which they emit this, we can maybe allow them 4% (being generous) in terms of the harm they cause. But there is no realistic alternative for doing long journeys than aeroplanes, and at the moment, there is no alternative to burning Kerosene and its derivatives in order to fuel these aeroplanes. Yet air travel receives FAR more than 4% of complaints. Air taxes, fuel duty, etc. are all 't3h good thing.'

Power generation, on the other hand, accounts for about 40%. Industry another 15% and Agriculture a further 10%. Now something odd happens - we have answers to these (considerably more significant) polluters. But these solutions we have are dismissed. Nuclear power provides clean, safe and virtually limitless power, but green lobbies refuse to countenance it. Even investment in future power sources - this ITER thing in Southern France - is derided as being unneccessary. For these guys it's their way (windmills, solar, tide - all hideously inefficient) or no way.

This weird contrast hints at a tendancy to confuse environmental concern and broader ethical concerns with a subtle anti-capitalism which enters most of these discussions. The only explanation I can come up with for this kind of rejection of an obvious solution is that there's some ulterior motive for its rejection. Nuclear power, air travel, cheap textiles, corporate farming - these are all classic symbols of globalisation and have attracted their fair share of hatred. While some of this vitriol is fair enough, I don't like the way genuine reasons (global warming aside) for improving our atmosphere are being muddled with this kind of thinking.

To bring this back into a gaming context I believe in the Sim City solution. By 2040 we'll have almost infinite electric power available for very little cost (environmental and pecuniary). Everything we currently use fossil fuels for will eventually become electric powered in response to this low price electricity. Further advantages are felt through a lower reliance on oil and oil-producing countries. Though I'm no fan of Bush, I agree that the solution to this 'problem' is likely to be found in science.
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 17:52.

29. Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:02 Tango

Please Mr Enahs, what's the answer?

News Comments > Supreme Commander to Expand?
25. Re: Great game Feb 27, 2007, 07:32 Tango

The graphics are simply amazing. Hold spacebar to pan the camera around, for example.
Meh. They're ok. They're not as good as CoH (yes, I realise it's a different scale, etc). But the huge units are definitely pretty cool. It doesn't really matter anyway, as 90% of the time you won't be zoomed in.

One thing I did forget to mention was that this game is frikkin' HUGE! It takes up 11Gb on my disk, which is more than my entire Steam folder. Not that it's a problem in this age of 500Gb hard-disks, but I thought it was quite interesting.

11. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2007, 12:45 Tango

carriers didn't work properly in the retail version
I find that they do, it's just the tutorials / manual sometimes say 'left click' when they mean 'right click' and vice versa.

And I didn't know about speeding up the game. Add another 2% to my score then

4. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2007, 11:42 Tango

Can anyone recommend some wireless headphones? And do these headphones with 3D surround actually do anything?

4. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2007, 11:37 Tango

Any reason I shouldn't buy this game? Cause I'm about --> <-- this close...
I was going to wait a bit before I post a full 'Tango Review' but in short the game is good. The scale, the strategy, the units, the engine, the differences of the sides are all cool.

It's not perfect - the AI (especially the pathfinding) needs improving. The scale can make things tedious at times, especially near the end of battles when you have to get units across the map in transports. I'm sure the interface could be improved (though it's by no means bad).

Pick it up if you like strategy games - it's different. It's not a 90% classic, but it's a solid 85%.

News Comments > Supreme Commander Patch
4. Re: No subject Feb 23, 2007, 15:33 Tango

My GOD the pathfinding AI needs improving.

News Comments > Supreme Commander Patch
1. No subject Feb 23, 2007, 12:11 Tango

I just bought this. I hope it's good.

News Comments > Sam & Max Episode 4 on GameTap
4. Re: Games on Tap Feb 22, 2007, 16:35 Tango

And you'll have to deal with the phone rep trying everything in their power to keep you subscribed
Whenever I'm in that situtation I say:

"Hi, I'd like to cancel my subscription to your service. My customer number is XXXXXX. Can we please skip now to the part in your script where you tell me that's all done and my final bill will be this month's."

On another note, this seems to be how you do episodic content - regular episodes like a TV show, rather than the movie / sequel thing certain other developers seem to be into... Of course, I suspect designing these things takes less by way of resources than that-other-episodic-series-that- dare-not-speak-its-name.

25. Re: No subject Feb 22, 2007, 16:10 Tango

I do hope that Gabe made damn sure she is who she says she is though
Agreed, but God knows why someone would make up that sort of story. Terribly sad story.

That kid must have had some sort of mental problem. Let's hope the prison service takes care of him.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Supreme Commander
33. Re: No subject Feb 22, 2007, 08:48 Tango

tried the skirmish?
Don't bother on anything other than Hard. I'm no RTS king but on any other level they don't bother attacking.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Blue would get Wing Commander Feb 22, 2007, 08:42 Tango

I'd prolly have to buy it as long as there's no FMV.
Nonsense, you should be offered a cameo. Hmm... www.petitiononline.com anyone?

3321 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo