Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for chuckz

Real Name chuckz   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Acleacius
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 10, 2000, 03:22
Total Comments 3642 (Veteran)
User ID 1858

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Dying Light Nighttime Trailer
13. Re: Dying Light Nighttime Trailer Dec 18, 2013, 13:57 Acleacius

Jerykk wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 00:17:
That's not really true at all. If you design a game for high-end PCs and then try to cram into 7 year old console, you'll run into quite a few problems (primarily memory). Sure, you can downres all the textures, lower the render resolution, remove a bunch of effects, etc, but then you end up with a game that looks like crap. It's much easier to build for the lowest common denominator since you know that more powerful hardware won't have any issues running the game. You can focus on making it look good on the lesser hardware and then making it look really good on high-end hardware.

Also, it's not just about the graphics. Less memory means you need smaller levels and fewer characters loaded at any given time too.
In general things do look crappier on console, that's why so many effects are cheapened and abused like bloom and motion blur.

It's much easier to reduce functions using up memory and calculations, just like it is for textures. Animations are a good examples, just like physics and textures. The same as it's easier just to pay for your art assets once. I can't think of a single instance where it's better to make low quality first, then try to upscale.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Censored for Australia
15. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Censored for Australia Dec 17, 2013, 13:38 Acleacius

I hear it's because of the rape scene.

Sure seeing a guys doodle hanging out is traumatizing. I think it more the screams of torture and unbridled carnal lust overwhelming the Aussies.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

News Comments > Dying Light Nighttime Trailer
6. Re: Dying Light Nighttime Trailer Dec 17, 2013, 13:29 Acleacius

I'm looking forward to the Coop, but don't see much point in the day and night differences. Afaik, Techland made DI for a publisher but started DL, their own franchise because they didn't want to pay for the license for DI.

The author of the DI books did a crappy job writing it into a game, everyone complained about the acting/story in DI.

One of the biggest problems Techland has is their sort of deluded sense to prioritize console over PC development. As a developer you can always scale back, things like graphic and physics for lesser hardware. It's much harder and more costly to scale up.

It's funny since like many developers, they got their start developing on the PC, with Chrome (iirc).

Also, this looks exactly like the last nighttime video demonstration.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 20:48 Acleacius

Omg, I need a shot of tequila, only 3 days till the wallet pain!  

News Comments > Just Cause 2: Multiplayer Mod on Steam
3. Re: Just Cause 2: Multiplayer Mod on Steam Dec 16, 2013, 20:44 Acleacius

Funny, iirc it used to be only $9.99. Could swear it was selling for $1.99 as a 75% off. Guess they jacked up the price to $14.99 before the holiday discount.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2013, 20:11 Acleacius

TSCC was pretty good for the most part and Summer did a great job.

I still can't believe some execitive at fox didn't lose his job, for the idiot move of canceling Sarah Connor Chronicles for Dollhouse.

I'm probably missing something, besides brain cells. What's with the Malukah video? Thought it was going to be something new, but it seems to be the original video, just 'newly posted' to some other youtube account.

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
2. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 09:29 Acleacius

Site is down! Login to be specific.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in April
60. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 17:13 Acleacius

BitWraith wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:27:
Axis wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:18:
'Cartoony' in eq wasn't silly, it was designed to look serious and realistic as possible at the time.

Sorry I'm still not buying this. I was there. Everything looked like this:
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/1992/965943-race_ogre.jpg
Your seeing parallax. If you want to see clearly name another mmo, att with better graphics? There were better engines, which could do better graphics but not that could handle 40+ if not 100s of players at once.

Playing something like EQ without a map, really forced me become more spatially aware. I notice this even now 15 years later, gaming friends who didn't play EQ back in the day, get lost in big maps or mazes, often asking for me to come get them, lmao. Of course them drinking copious amounts of magical brew, probably doesn't help.

42. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:14 Acleacius

ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 13:58:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 13:53:
The most amazing trailer, of the most amazing MMO 'RPG' I've ever seen. I've never seen so many, 'REAL' world effecting dialog choices, in a CTF battle trailer.

The affects', just stun me.

I barely understand what you wrote, but I think you're being sarcastic.

Yeah, I saw the trailer, wow, it sucks. It really sucks. It's basically exactly what I want the least about the game.
Yeah, I should've used an Annoyed .

On the scary side, I've been watching EQNext videos ( EverQuest Next Landmark? )too. The textures during the scenes of building, look like WoW. It could very well be, due to all the physics required by the engine to do Deform/Destructible terrain doesn't allow for more detail, but it sure seems a risky move.

At least for me, I was expecting some more along the lines of Vanguard II. SoE could have just bought the license to keep a Vanguard II from happening and crushing any chance of EQIII succeeding. EQNext seems much less than what EQIII should have been.

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:53 Acleacius

The most amazing trailer, of the most amazing MMO 'RPG' I've ever seen. I've never seen so many, 'REAL' world effecting dialog choices, in a CTF battle trailer.

The affects', just stun me.

News Comments > Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered
9. Re: Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered Dec 10, 2013, 23:57 Acleacius

Mmmmmm, Mongo like candy!  

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Trailer
4. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Trailer Dec 8, 2013, 23:11 Acleacius

Damn, 3 more months, maybe enough time to binge watch all the episodes.  

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Trailer
3. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Trailer Dec 6, 2013, 23:42 Acleacius

I don't watch the show either but I did like the one about scientology and tom cruise being in the closet.

Really looking forward to this, doubt I will preorder it though.

News Comments > More Survivor 2299 Teasing
26. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 20:18 Acleacius

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 14:17:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 13:43:
They make a great world to adventure through, amazing editors and have overall very good story plots. But I can't think of any AAA RPG game developer with worst writers, in story, dialog and NPCs.

Whether it's being forced to listen to Linda Carter saying "I'm am forced to carry your burdens" or Fallout 3's infantile dialog. "Have you seen a middle aged guy, I'm looking for my father."

I'm playing through SWKOTOR2 right now and some of the characters are just one info-dump after another. I "got" what was going on after the first two lines but I'm having to click through a wall of text so I can get to go DO something (doing something being the point of a game).

I'm actually starting to lean more towards liking NPCs that have simple dialogue. If I want to read a lot of back story or detailed explanation I'd much rather read it in an in-game journal or book.

This goes doubly if I have to listen to a voice actor read from a script.

Without getting into the obvious shortage of time they had for development, I'm pretty sure they didn't have time to fine tune the dialog. Obsidian did mention KotOR2 was a dialog and story structure experiment. Trying to improve/recreate the feel of Planescape and they obviously learned a lot. Constantly experimenting (Alpha Protocol) and improving (New Vegas), their dialog and writing, unlike Bethesda.

Also in their defense, they were arguing against the Force. While it might be passe now days, att it was a bold move. Since then, there have been many Dark side games made, Obsidian was one of if not the first.

Bethesda seems completely egocentrical about their writing, using sales of a mainly adventure/exploration game as self justification. Reality is, their dialog is less then 1/10 of the of the game mechanic. Also their low quality and low mentality dialog is pretty much universally panned.

News Comments > More Survivor 2299 Teasing
14. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 13:43 Acleacius

They make a great world to adventure through, amazing editors and have overall very good story plots. But I can't think of any AAA RPG game developer with worst writers, in story, dialog and NPCs.

Whether it's being forced to listen to Linda Carter saying "I'm am forced to carry your burdens" or Fallout 3's infantile dialog. "Have you seen a middle aged guy, I'm looking for my father."

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Trailer
12. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Trailer Dec 4, 2013, 14:54 Acleacius

Amazing work !

We could see quite a few games with this even though consoles can't really keep up. Since Unreal engine has always been very scalable. PC versions will have higher physics and resolutions, not so sure about AI function.

News Comments > Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch
16. Re: Path of Exile Status, Packs, and Patch Dec 3, 2013, 14:13 Acleacius

Good fun, best arpg I've played despite the issues. Mine are mainly being disconnected between 6pm and 10pm. Minor desync issues, mostly play on normal servers. My current friend group, don't now the meaning of backing off and would last about 10 min in hardcore.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Dec 2, 2013, 20:32 Acleacius

jimnms wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:41:
Farcry 3 is the same price on Amazon that activates on Uplay. I don't own any Uplay titles, so I'm completely unfamiliar with it. Does it have an offline mode like Steam? From what I understand so far, if you buy it on Steam, you have to launch it on Steam first, which then brings up Uplay, then the game. Or since it's registered to your Uplay account, can you skip Steam and just launch it from Uplay?

If you have to jump through two DRM hoops by buying it on Steam, it sounds better to just buy it from Amazon and register it on Uplay.
If I understand your question correctly, this is worst part of the game, but uplay is unavoidable, afaik. Think, I have to start Steam (so far, I've always been on it) and it launches uplay (it launches the game). However, even though uplay is completely intrusive malware, you can set it to offline mode. Apparently they monitor you anyway, as every time I quit, get a thanks for playing popup.

In case you didn't know, it's a big open world but the vehicles don't spawn correctly. So when you get to a base, without a boat or buggy that should be there, you have Save first, then quit and restart the game for them to appear correctly.

Not to mention ubi forces punkbuster install, whether you play competitive or Coop. Then when you uninstall, ubi leaves that trash 3rd party monitoring malware on your PC. Iirc, had to download a special uninstaller from punkastards to remove it.

Also the achievements seem to be on ubi, not steam.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2013, 20:50.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 2, 2013, 19:12 Acleacius

Finally got Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 dlc for 75% off. Only Skyrim still holds off, on 75% off dlc.  

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Multiplayer Modification Coming to Steam
3. Re: Just Cause 2 Multiplayer Modification Coming to Steam Dec 2, 2013, 10:18 Acleacius

Could this be used to play the game Coop with friends, or is it intended just for deathmatch/pvp style gameplay?  

3642 Comments. 183 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo