Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brian Woods

Real Name Brian Woods   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname xmb1121
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 19, 2003, 00:35
Total Comments 68 (Suspect)
User ID 18576

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2011, 04:10 xmb1121

In the same vein, I initially read it as "Regal THREATENS..."  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 14:33 xmb1121

Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 11:21:
He didn't actually poop and pee out of anger or vengeance or displeasure or anything, but because he was scared. Anxiety will make dogs lose control of their bladder.

As for how to deal with it going forward... pfff... You could try crate training them, though that's always much better if you do it when they're a puppy.

Creston

My dog only used the bathroom inside under two situation: One, he got in the garbage and ate something that made him have the runs or when he was pissed at me.

Some people think dogs are smarter than the really are and some don't appreciate just don't appreciate how smart they really are. My dog and I understood our relationship and he knew the only way he could ever win an argument was by poop.

That said, if Gunnar doesn't have those clearly defined limits, it could have been out of fear, separation anxiety or a mix of those with mischief. No one knows but Gunnar.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 12:21 xmb1121

Hmm,, so no one should live on the eastern or southern coasts of the country, nor the Kansas area since it's prone to tornados no the entire coast of California because it's subject to earthquakes? No one should build along a river because they might flood. You can't build in any mountains because they might have blizzards. You can't build in New Mexico or Arizona because they have yearly wildfires (most often caused by lightning, natch).

That leaves us with...Tennessee! Let's have all 500 million of us move there since they have fewer natural disasters.

But crap, we forgot about the New Madrid fault that had an earthquake in the 1800s that made the Mississippi River run backwards for a couple of weeks.

I guess we have to pack up and abandon this half of the hemisphere.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 00:14 xmb1121

Pakistan is in rough shape. There was an article last weekend that pointed out the destruction there was worse than the 04 tsuname, the 05 pak. earthquake and the haitian earthquake from this year combined.

Oddly, while hundreds of dollars were donated per victim for those, only about $16 per victim had been donated this time.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2010, 20:46 xmb1121

Far be it from me to criticize the media, but it was Mississippi and to a lesser extent Alabama that suffered the most damage from Hurricane Katrina as in Mississippi multiple cities were wiped from existence. New Orleans suffered a levee failure a couple of days later due to their gross mismanagement of the funds for their levee system.

Briefly: The winds to the east of a hurricane are the ones the f some s up. The closer to the eye, the worse. To the west of the eye, still strong winds, but no where near the strength or intensity of the eastern part. Katrina landed east of New Orleans and caused much less damage because of it. Had she landed on top of New Orleans, well, it would be a much different situation.

The levee breaches were a disaster unto themselves, but an entirely manmade problem. As a Mississippian, it pains me to read that some 20% of New Orleanians haven't returned, but it pains me much more to think that only 25% of the homes on the Mississippi gulf coast have been rebuilt so far.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 18:43 xmb1121

We appreciate the work you do, especially when you are dealing with family emergencies. No need to apologize.  

News Comments > OnLive On, Live
13. Re: OnLive On, Live Jun 18, 2010, 20:03 xmb1121

I thought OnLive was it's own console that used teh tubes and ran the game on the backend...If so, when you buy, are you paying for them to run your game on a PC or Mac based cloud?

I am perplexed.

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
35. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 15:41 xmb1121

Personally, Ubi is on the boycott list until they end their messy PC DRM, but...

Used sales are a reaction to sticker shock. The more used sales there are, the worse the disparity between retail and what a customer is willing to pay.

Also, knowing a more complete edition will come eventually (I waited for the just released Little Big Planet edition that includes a lot of downloadable content on the disc) also harms first day sales.

I bought Dragon Age and love it and haven't minded paying for the extra content with it. It's a slippery slope, though, choosing what content to hold for later. I would not have enjoyed Oblivion as much if the Dark Brotherhood had not been part of the original release, perhaps so much so that I would have been turned off the series and company for the long term.

Bottom line: I think the move from $50 to $60 has done damage. Having a one price fits all model does the industry poorly, too.

To address the comments of others, a policy where used buyers have to pay an extra fee is a direct attack on the price of used games. But used sellers have a lot of leverage in their pricing. I don't think this is a battle that is worth fighting or that the game companies can win.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 26, 2010, 10:58 xmb1121

Dr Horrible did it a couple of years ago, but it was with a van of Wonderflonium. (I thought Avatar would have been better if they were mining Wonderflonium.)  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2010, 10:55 xmb1121

Typo alert: It's February, not January.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2010, 13:39 xmb1121

Creston wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 11:54:
space captain wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 11:47:
get a backpack or strap-on sack of some sort and put a few water bottles in it, and then put that on your dog before going out for a walk - it makes them have to exercise alot harder

if you weigh em down enough you dont have to run very fast to get them tired

That's going to get your dog hip dysplacia (HD) if you're not careful. A dog is not a pack animal...

Creston

I believe dysplasia is a genetic condition, not a repetitive stress disorder...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2010, 11:23 xmb1121

Armengar wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 10:43:
Remedial training wont work (I guess). If you let her play with toys like this then a small 4lb furry poodle is all the same. Sorry, but its not good dog ownership to have let this happen.

As an ex delivery man I lose count of "he wont bite" only to be bitten seconds later - only to see the multitude of chew toys, and mangled objects. And no, I dont show fear having an alsatian of my own (rescued too with plenty of issues originally).

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I'm guessing you don't know much about dog psychology or you might have picked up a thing or two for keeping yourself from being bitten. My dearly departed husky loved all his toys, shook the heck out of them, held them and licked them, gnawed on them and when he was tired of them, pulled the stuffing out. Yet, no matter how many people came to the door in all the places we lived from LA to Philadelphia, he never once bit anyone. (He also tragically died a virgin. )

Blue, you will need to be careful with the bike experiment. It worked great with my husky until he turned around one day and saw a bicycle right on his tail and went from a trot to a gallop, pulling me off the bike, dragging me down the street and making hamburger of my leg. It's pretty funny to think about it now, but it really sucked at the time.

News Comments > Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony
17. Re: Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony Nov 8, 2009, 17:06 xmb1121

Seriously. If you only have one hand, is it Sony's fault you lose at Guitar Hero?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 12:00 xmb1121

VHS had ~170 lines of resolution interlaced, dvd is 480p and BD is 1080p. If you see a properly mastered disc on a properly calibrated tv, it will knock just about anyone's socks off.

Given that laserdisc was around for 20 some odd years, we can only hope BD lasts so long (or dvd for that matter).

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 31, 2009, 06:41 xmb1121

I'm a little disappointed that CueOnline isn't a barbeque making simulation. Something like that could actually help people learn whether KC Masterpiece was any better than Bullseye or not.  

5. Re: Games You Wished Existed. Jan 31, 2009, 14:52 xmb1121

They went to Sunday Night Football from Monday Night Football, which was also a venerable brand name, so why the f not?  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2008, 05:05 xmb1121

That's pretty upsetting. What kinds of leashes did you guys have the dogs on?  

28. writers Jul 26, 2007, 17:57 xmb1121

i am lucky enough to work with one of the writers of wing 3/4! huzzah!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. The MS Reply Mar 16, 2006, 11:17 xmb1121

:cynicism on:

I thought they would announce that they hoped to fill their preorders by the time the PS3 launches...

:cynicism off:

News Comments > BioWare's Austin Offices, MMORPG Plans
57. Re: Glad to hear not Cali Mar 14, 2006, 12:39 xmb1121

::On the other hand, you have the odd company in Wisconsin (Raven), or Albany (Vicarious Visions), or Raleigh (Epic). These places may offer a cheaper cost of living, but what if you decide to settle down there, buy a house, and find out a year or two later that it just isn't the company for you, or the company for whatever reason goes out of business or is relocated? You have no where else to work in a 100-mile radius.::

i assure you raleigh and north carolina have quite a few things that suck about them. the first two that pop into my head is how all the landlord/tennant laws favor the landlord and the second is that in my year and a half living in raleigh, i only saw one redlight that wasn't timed in the whole state. that means at 4am when no one is around, you will be sitting for two minutes waiting for the signal to cycle.

68 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo