Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brian Woods

Real Name Brian Woods   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname xmb1121
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 19, 2003, 00:35
Total Comments 68 (Suspect)
User ID 18576

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2014, 17:41 xmb1121

In front of my parents house are two fiber cables. One feeds an independent telephone company seven miles away. The other does nothing. Their calls are serviced via POTS/twisted pair. This is Bellsouth/AT&T where that twisted pair has degraded enough that dialup no longer functions and almost seven years after the merger agreement to provide high speed internet to every customer by Dec. 31, 2007.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2014, 12:38 xmb1121

It strikes me as funny that he'll sell a buggy mess of code for half price when those people should be on his payroll as testers.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
103. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2013, 21:41 xmb1121

Kipling said it best:

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair, -
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!),
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent,
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

It took me years to get over my dog dying. Finally I bought another pet--a ferret--because I knew there was no chance of another dog filling the hole.

Good luck, Blue. You're in my thoughts.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2013, 03:25 xmb1121

Crimea is in Ukraine, not Russia. I doubt even Yanukovich would risk his EU trade deal by anteing up with Snowden on top of Tymoshenko.

Also, without supporting the US 's actions to stop the Soviet's incursions into South America, those countries are infinitely better off than Eastern Europe. Imagine if they were at the same level of development as Romania or Bulgaria. Imagine if every archeological treasure was in Petersberg like Ukraine and Georgia.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Knock-knock
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2013, 23:58 xmb1121

The creepy voice is in Russian. Is this from devs in a post-Soviet country?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 10:12 xmb1121

A lighter touch is better with the forums. Don't feel bad about reminding folks not to be assholes as needed, though.

Fewer screenshots I'd better

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2013, 01:55 xmb1121

We only have two major cable companies now. Every businessman knows if it goes to one, the universe will finally be in proper alignment.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 13:21 xmb1121

Freely was the best of the ones I tried, but it failed because it stopped working last month and now only ever says it's synchronizing.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2013, 13:00 xmb1121

CrimsonPaw wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:38:
I'm sure I'll get ridiculed, but I'm really looking forward to remote play on the Vita. Even though portable gaming is "dead" I still marvel at that machine.

No ridicule from me, just another player excited to see PSV get some love and outdo the WiiU

News Comments > Spamalot Unchained
27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2013, 15:20 xmb1121

Bosanac wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 13:59:
Ant wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:21:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:15:
Julio wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:00:
I'm going to pass, MMORPG no thanks.

I hear ya, i just dont have the time anymore (who does?). Let alone the longing to grind up 50+ levels just to try pvp/rvr
Same here. Even don't have time for quick Flash games these days!

See, this is what happens when people make up their opinions and judge things without knowing anything about it. There is no PvE. You don't level to get to it, you start it right away.

And some idiot after you two yaps about how there's no content update to justify monthly fees because its RvR and he wants his pve raids. I mean really? There' no way to improve an RvR game over time? Add new objectives, mechanics, abilities to the raw engine. You can already build your own keeps.. did minecraft not have any reason for updates because it had no PvE raids?

Come on people. Grow the fuck up.

Two things: If they don't properly understand what the game is about, that isn't their fault. The media team for the game obviously isn't doing their job. You suspect they don't have a team of people to educate folks about the game? That also isn't the fault of people who don't understand the concept.

Second, the fact that someone isn't interested in a game isn't justification to tell them to "grow the fuck up." Perhaps that's what's already happened. Maybe they need to "immature the fuck up" to enjoy griefer pvp more instead.

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 13:16 xmb1121

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:37:

It's true in some sense. Some games do feel padded just to hit a certain mark. And games like the Call of Duty games would wear out their welcome if single player went beyond 7 hours (they start getting grating before that.)

But when you're paying $60, you expect a certain return both in quality and quantity. CoD can get away with it due to multiplayer being the focus. Other games? A 7 hour game without a strong multiplayer component would irk me at $60 but feel fine at $30.

This. There are two separate things going on. I suggest not padding the game or the price. That prices of goods are not allowed to be elastic is one of the angles from where you can see how fake our capitalism really is.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2013, 11:32 xmb1121

I misread his nickname as "Samwell" at first. Oops.  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2013, 02:28 xmb1121

While the Saturn launch basically killed Sega, Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon were amazing launch titles.  

News Comments > THQ Breakup Details Confirmed
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2013, 09:44 xmb1121

Sad news about Vigil. I liked Darksiders. I hope a white knight will appear to save them.  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 01:28 xmb1121

Just over a decade ago in Albuquerque, I worked on a news story where a family had a baby and the dog didn't like the baby and snapped at it. The owners didn't know what to do, so they took the dog to the shelter to be adopted. They thought better of it a few days later only to find out that the shelter had euthanized the dog ("We had to tell whomever was interested that the dog snaps at children. No one would have adopted it," they said.) The couple was horribly upset at what had happened. If there was a silver lining to this story, it was that part of our story when to a local dog psychologist, a profession I had no idea existed as this is years before Cesar Milan burst onto the scene (but I did see the real horse whisperer about a year earlier). The advice the psychologist gave made such good sense that it caused me to rethink how I thought about dogs.

The psychologist talked about the order of the pack and how to retrain the dog to understand that people packs are different and people babies go above them. This included stopping doing submissive behavior around the dog (no laying on your back with your belly up on the sofa, for example). The ending was that this was a tragedy that could have been avoided, but in 2001, who would have thought to find a pet psychologist?

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2012, 16:49 xmb1121

Redbox Instant could take over the world if Verizon didn't count it against your data usage.  

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 15:55 xmb1121

All I see in the MS Store are things like Angry Birds. If that's where Cryteam is heading, then they deserve what they get. I prefer a honest to goodness PC gaming experience when I sit at the computer, not a tablet/phone experience. I humbly implore them to keep making 100 proof desktop games not 99 cent jello shots.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2012, 16:44 xmb1121

I beta'd XBL back in the day. I remember how it made the PS2's online strategy look like crap. It made me an Xbox fan the way the RROD made me hate the 360. Of course that hatred intensified when my "cool" gamertag made me a hacker target that saw me spend a year and a half without my account. Oh Microsoft, you do things that make me like you then make me hate you. :/  

News Comments > Afternoon Mobilization
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 18:27 xmb1121

I'm so happy that Play matched Apple for fart sound apps! Too long have Android users had to make do with only 100,000 fart sound apps.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2012, 15:50 xmb1121

I'm with you guys. I felt like I needed to take a shower to get the crap off me after I read that article.

If Amazon decides to sell things at a loss, that in no way takes money away from the publisher or author. They still get the price they sold it for. It actually hurts Amazon, but like 7-11, they hope you will buy something else to offset the discount.

68 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo