Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zathrus

Real Name Zathrus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zathrus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 18, 2003, 15:27
Total Comments 4286 (Master)
User ID 18483

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Ethics and Compliance Oct 18, 2006, 09:14 Zathrus

Both were great

Eh, I thought the movie sucked.

In fact, I thought all the Clancy movies except HFRO sucked. I don't expect them to follow the book religiously (that'd be impossible with the way Clancy writes), but they just butchered the books.

On the other hand, I still don't know which ending I liked better for HFRO -- the book's or the movie's.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
42. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 16:22 Zathrus

which companies already have anytime you log onto a master server

Oh... so then why don't they just use that data?

Oh, that's right... because they don't have it.

This is basically a tracking cookie gone bad. I don't really have any issues with tracking cookies, since all the heavy lifting (tracking time, ads, etc.) is done by their servers. In this case it's all done by your own system.

i don't really mind be a guinea pig for testing

Why? What is it giving you in return? If they'd given the consumer something back for it -- say $10 off the normal retail price for a top line title -- then it might be reasonable as a trade off (except that I still object to the method used). But they're not. It's full price, the expansions are likely to be full price, and I bet you won't see any better support than there was for the previous games.

And yes, it'll probably still sell because there's a fool born every minute. But that's not your excuse since you know exactly what it does, and exactly what it gives you. Why are you so willing to be a "guinea pig" for absolutely nothing in return? Hell, at least go sign up for some medical trials -- they'll pay for your doctor's visits, time, and give you free medicine too.

33. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 14:47 Zathrus

what you are legally and contractually aggreeing to when you actually click agree

The legality of EULAs is still questionable, at best, and the legality of certain phrases within them is even more questionable.

Stating that they can, at any time, record your IP and usage information is pretty much standard fare for virtually every PC game with on online component out there.

Yeah, because it's called logging. Every freaking website does it too. Capturing information when you're not playing the game, however, is hardly the same thing.

Life is sexually transmitted.

And terminal.

26. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 14:14 Zathrus

who the fvk reads game Eula's?

Maybe you should.

I'm not a fan of Riley's over the top paranoia, but from what little I've read on BF2142's spyware it's sure as hell not something I'd want or allow on my system.

21. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 13:57 Zathrus

You are part of the problem, if you accept it then you're contributing to it

Hold on... you're bashing EA/DICE for a release day patch while calling for QW at the same time?

You realize that id has put out patches for their games at release or shortly thereafter, right? Do you not recall how amazingly crappy the Quake2 networking code was at release?

And yes, I know that Splash Damage is doing QW and not id, but the point remains. Bitching about release day patches is silly. The proper issue is that EA/DICE do not properly support their games, unlike id, Epic, and many other devs. I'm willing to bet that some major issue will be found in BF2142 and still not be fixed in a year or two when they release the next iteration of the game.

18. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 13:53 Zathrus

I really don't get the hatred and bickering.

Maybe because EA/DICE have a long history of releasing BF games with major bugs in them and never really patching them? Or that the server browser, key binding, and a few other elements remain the same sucky crap they were in the original BF1942?

I bought BF1942 and BF2, but I'm certainly not buying this game, or any other game from the ex-DICE crew since it's clear that they have no interest in actually fixing the games they've already released.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 09:46 Zathrus

This year Hudson the wonder dog will be Spider-Man and Gunnar-man will be a criminal.

But I thought Hudson was the escape artist of the house...

14. Re: RSS feed Oct 16, 2006, 15:25 Zathrus

Does bluesnews have a RSS feed?

Yes.

Firefox doesnt seem to detect it

That's because the HTML here is a bit on the archaic side.

http://www.bluesnews.com/news/news_1_0.rdf

You'll have to plug that into the "New Live Bookmark" dialog yourself. For FF to detect it it would need to be using a link tag not an "a" (anchor) tag. I think.

6. Re: Blockbuster online Oct 16, 2006, 14:42 Zathrus

We seem to watch a lot of the Backyardigans, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Wonderpets right now, any of them work for you

Add in "The Wiggles", "Jojo's Circus", and "Sesame Street" here.

All I want to know is why the hell are the songs to those shows more of an earworm than anything on the radio? Ever. I mean, even "Yellow Submarine" cannot displace the frigging Jojo's Circus intro song for me.

And yes, because of this post I now have it running through my head again. Damn it.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Software piracy costing Africa bill Oct 16, 2006, 14:27 Zathrus

Well I'm sure piracy in Africa isn't a big issue to MNCs but rather the countries themselves

That's only true if the benefit from using legitimate software (which comes in the form of wages to salespeople, a homegrown software market, and taxes on all of the above) exceeds the benefit from the illegitimate software to the economy.

And that's a difficult thing to prove in either direction; you simply won't sell as many legit copies as there are illegit ones, and the benefit of the illegit copies is difficult to monetize in the first place.

4. Re: Software piracy costing Africa bill Oct 16, 2006, 13:31 Zathrus

From the article:

"Piracy has become a threat to copyright-based industry as it has wiped out the incentives for creators, which was offered by the copyright protection," he [Edward Sigei, an attorney with the Kenya Copyright Board] said. "This threatens the whole rationale of copyright system."

Yes, I'm sure MS, Oracle, IBM, and various other software companies are going to just give up and fold in the next few years. Clearly they're not making money because of the rampant piracy in Africa.

Please... could we get some perspective here? This is not threatening the copyright system as a whole, nor is it threatening the majority of companies involved in it.

That's not to say there isn't harm (or benefit) to companies "afflicted" by pirating; but for multi-nationals it's pretty damn small. And if they're pirating your software now, that's great -- it'd be better if they bought it, obviously, but at least they're not using a competitor's software. There's at least the potential for a future sale there.

Now what it does harm is any effort to establish a copyright-based company there, or to cater to that market. Want to write a piece of software that is oriented specifically to sub-Saharan Africa? Well, don't expect to get paid for it. At least not without a NGO or UN grant. And that could be harmful.

Except that, right now, most of those countries have bigger issues... like dealing with massive disease, crop failures, transport, and other elements of the poverty trap. Even for the groups trying to help, software is pretty far down the damn list.

19. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2006, 09:58 Zathrus

42% white and nerdy. And, appropriately, C++.

38. Re: Air America - Oct 13, 2006, 15:59 Zathrus

is AA considered a farce?

Well, it clearly wasn't very successful... I never listened to it, but I suspect that some of their shows were about as much in touch with reality as Sean Hannity and his ilk.

26. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2006, 15:04 Zathrus

We don't really have any use for a nice Enahs.

That implies we have a use for mean Enahs...

I'm hoping BSG picks up a little after last week

I liked the ep, but yeah, I expect it'll be somewhat more "action packed", at least this episode.

And by liked, I mean it creeped me out appropriately and had some interesting concepts.... they said that while the first two seasons were dark, we haven't seen anything yet. Urk.

SST:
was anyone else totally disgusted by Apollo's fat suit?

Uh, that wasn't entirely a suit... the actor put on some weight for the role. Not as much as they showed there (the face shots were makeup), but I heard he put on around 20 lbs for this season.

22. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2006, 14:37 Zathrus

Any wooters get a bag o crap?

Got through to the "checking inventory screen" after placing order, but it apparantly didn't go through. Shrug.

I find the whinging about it on the thread amusing. No folks, they are not going to upgrade their servers to handle that kind of load for 5 minutes every 2 months. Deal.

3. Re: Terrorism Oct 13, 2006, 14:11 Zathrus

Oh, I have no doubt it's true. I'm sure that some very small number of pirates funnel the money to fundamentalist whackos of one flavor or another.

But, hey, you can make the exact same argument for anything. I bet there's someone out there that sells hot dogs, apple pie, and American flags and send the profits to a terrorist group. Clearly the proper response here is to crack down on the sale of those items.

13. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2006, 13:39 Zathrus

Holy crap that bike is cheap. I'm sure it's not as well built as more expensive bikes, but I can see why all the US manufacturers are going under now... that's just stupidly cheap.

18. Re: Video and OS stuff... Oct 12, 2006, 16:01 Zathrus

If you can't say anything nice...

Then don't buy the blighted card?

14. Re: Video and OS stuff... Oct 12, 2006, 14:48 Zathrus

Do I get a DX10 compatible video card, or just settle for a realy good DX9 card?

Since there's still jack info on DX10, that's difficult to say.

DX10 would be the only reason I'd upgrade to Vista, will it be worth it before, say, 2008?

Again, hard to say. There were good DX9 games out before DX9 was 2 years old though. On the other hand, some of the early DX9 cards (Nvidia 5*) sucked.

Are SATA hard drives that much faster than "standard" IDE (pata) drives?

Not at all. Nor are they slower. It's just a different interface... the hard drive is still not even coming vaguely close to reaching the max transfer rate of the interface.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2006, 10:26 Zathrus

Please do not try to summon the fool back. It's been nice with him gone.

4286 Comments. 215 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo