Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6124 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Anno 2070 Content Update
10. Re: Anno 2070 Content Update Feb 13, 2012, 14:52 Tumbler

Such an amazing series, I can lose myself for hours in 1701, love the two hour warning. It really is a shame, I was so looking forward to this futuristic spin.

This whole scenario where a developer makes something that looks cool but the publisher goes and fucks everything up by either splitting up content into dlc packs and so on or adds DRM that detracts from the value of the product is why seeing stuff on kickstarter makes me excited.

If the financials suck for continuing to do business under Ubi then I want to see the devs behind a product like this look into the option of jumping ship on Ubi en mass then starting a new studio with a kickstarter offering.

No idea how much this game cost to produce but it looks interesting but the Ubisoft additions make this a total joke. No way I'm paying to be tethered to ubisoft.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2012, 19:56 Tumbler

I would love the opportunity to fund other projects like this double fine kickstarter. At the end of the day I'm much more excited to see a game build this way rather than under the constant pressure to suck dollars out of consumers that we see from publishers. That's been the comments from developers for a while now, all this DLC / DRM bullshit is being forced by publishers.

And how much of the advertising budget could you cut when you are funded like this? If you have a great game then tens of thousands of people are going to have copies and you've already paid for everything. If you make the game and it stinks the people on the back end are out $15 in most cases and you spent your budget. If the game is a success then you get to take almost all the profit for yourself as you have no back end publisher trying to earn their own profits.

Consider how much of a $60 game goes to middlemen and try and think of the real numbers a developer would need to distribute something digitally when the gaming community knows the devs past work.

Respawn could pull a ton of money assuming the entry price was $10-$20. Those are dollars I can afford to risk on a developer I've liked in the past.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
1. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Feb 7, 2012, 23:20 Tumbler

Space Marine Powersword? Eh? They're making DLC for this still.

*pops up steam product page*

And it's just a sword you use in multiplayer? For $3...come on Relic. Jeeez. What other DLC have you made...lots of cosmetic stuff, dreadnaught...wait. Dreadnaught?! WTF is that? $10...3 multiplayer maps that let you play as a dreadnaught?! (Looks like it's something each side works toward then one player gets to control the dreadnaught.)

That is a step in the right direction...but $10 for this is disappointing. It seems like this is only available on those 3 new maps too. Maybe if dreadnaught mode was possible on all maps and they added a few tanks too then it might be worth $10...

So in Space Marine 2, lets work on destructible terrain...ok? When I go driving a predator tank around shooting my auto cannon I want to chew up the terrain. I want to see dreadnaughts come crashing through walls and ripping guys apart.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 23:00 Tumbler

LOL at Volition Dev. You're one of the companies that will go belly up if they make games require codes that get linked to accounts. (aka used games won't work) When you force people to pay $60 for any game they want to play they stop trying lesser known title like Saints Row the Third and instead everyone buys Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

News Comments > Ubisoft Online Disruption
26. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 13:43 Tumbler

"Fighting Piracy" at the expense of your consumers. So brave. Keep up the good fight!  

News Comments > Rovio Positive About Piracy
29. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 21:09 Tumbler

Hey, real quick, what other industries let us try something at no risk, particularly when they actually bear an enormous amount of risk?

Movies? No.
Books? Well, Kindle does this, but Amazon has no risk.
Cars? Nope, you can test drive, and in some cases even take home for a night, but you also have to put up collateral.
Music? I suppose Spotify lets me listen to entire albums, but it's essentially what I advocated in Gaiku, no?
Restaurants? Hardly.

Um...well this industry for starters. PC software outside of games often has free trials you can download and try almost instantly. I downloaded Illustrator CS5 a few nights ago to use for a small project. Took me an hour, I only needed to provide an email. I was able to create content and save files and now I have what I needed and paid zero. (and they will likely get a sale from me later)

MS does this with MS Office. You can download all parts of that program. I can't remember the last time pc software didn't have a free trial unless it was a game.

Movie theaters will give you your money back if you walk out on a movie...

Books can be read at book stores...

Cars can be test driven for free and taken home (as you said) which is a great comparison to paying in full for a game and trying it for a few hours.

Music...last time I was in a book store they had a whole section setup to listen to music, entire albums...and on youtube you can listen to EVERYTHING.

And Restaurants? You're fucking with me right now right? Yeah, you've got to be. I mean if someone is served food they don't like, like there is a hair in it, everyone knows enough to complain right?

I mean you don't live under a rock...right?

19. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 17:51 Tumbler

but it couldn't really work: people would be very quick to find a way to use offline mode to get the full game for free.

So True. Better that piracy is the only way to try games with no risk. Paying customers don't deserve to be protected from bad purchases. If they weren't so lazy they'd go look into the future and see if they liked the game. Grumble grumble, you know what one of them told me? He said that wouldn't even be possible because if he went to the future then decided not to buy it in the past it's destroy the universe or some shit. Fucking pirates. They'll do anything to play my game for free.

15. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 16:34 Tumbler

So piracy may be a factor, but just flat out overpricing, under delivering, nickel and dime tactics, and outrageous DRM "hoops"....they have all definitely factored into my purchasing decisions.

This.

I'm guessing angry birds was $1 on Itunes? It's free on Android but in either case getting a legit copy is so easy it makes no sense to pirate. Even if the game is shit and you hate it I'll bet you'll walk away happy having one less dollar. (at worst)

The same can't be said for many other games on more traditional platforms. Steam would be wise to institute a return policy within a certain amount of time. Like 2 hours of gameplay or 24 hours after purchase, whichever comes first. The biggest deterrent I have to spending money on many games is buyers remorse. You give me an optional refund if I don't like you're game and I'm WAY more likely to try it.

The industry should not be built around getting people to buy your game, you should be getting people to try your game, then buy it if they like it.

Case in point Humble Bundle five is up, never heard of any of these games, Anomaly sounds interesting, I'll drop a dollar and try them. Tryed anomaly, very excited at first, gameplay put me to sleep. Maybe I'll give it more time later but for now I spent $1 so who cares. (The people who have my dollar probably care!)

News Comments > THQ Receives Stock Delisting Warning
4. Re: THQ Receives Stock Delisting Warning Jan 31, 2012, 15:48 Tumbler

I wonder how Saints Row 3 would have done if they'd waited to launch it until now. Everyone seems to love the game, I have it and can't stop playing swtor long enough to give it a chance but I'm finally hitting that point in swtor where I don't want to play it as much so maybe i'll finally give saints row the third a try.

Seems like launching that game in late january would have worked better assuming they had some marketing money to do so...

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
26. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:26 Tumbler

wtf_man wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 10:53:
Looks to me like this game will flop. Rumor isthat they have spent anywhere from 300-500 million making this game... (I said rumor)... and EA's shares have dropped already because the sales have been short of expectations.

That's odd. I just noticed an article linked on Reddit regarding this:

Joystick.com

Says the budget was 200 million and the stock has bounced back a bit on reports of total subscribers?

Will be interesting to watch things going forward. I like the game. My account go deactivated today though...so there is that...apparently my paypal billing information didn't go through...which is odd...because I used a 60 day time card so it shouln't have been trying to bill me at all...but even if it did the info was good so it should have gone through...

The 800 customer service line is a pretty big joke so far. I'll save that for another post....you do not want to call them if you don't have to...

News Comments > Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM
8. Re: Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM Jan 20, 2012, 11:14 Tumbler

Seems reasonable for $5....oh...$50? Maybe that is a bug, probably just need to report that to steam. This is clearly a $5 special type item.

This is the future of secure DRM I'm afraid. Companies will push as far as they can and there will be a time when the license is only good for a year, then 6 months, then less and less. As long as people keep paying them they'll keep getting worse.

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
15. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 16:12 Tumbler

This appears to be fixed...

Have been checking my account stuff and clicking subscription brought up what looked like a blank slate. No sub info, no ability to cancel.

Just clicked the link again and it's showing all the correct info plus a cancel button.

Troubling...

News Comments > SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching
22. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 8, 2012, 16:09 Tumbler

I have been playing since early start and have many days of played time. I have not noticed any 'responsiveness' problem at all.

I deal with it constantly. The cover system is a big problem at the moment. It's worst in pvp when you have to go into cover before you can use a lot of your attacks. It must take 2-3 seconds for the game to respond to the shift F command, god help you is you use the "Take Cover" ability and the game needs to find a spot to roll to. And then cover behind terrain stops a lot of your attacks from working!

A lot of the sniper shots lag, ambush in particular charges for 2.5 seconds then sits there waiting to fire and goes off a full second later in most cases. In PvE the delay is manageable but it was a lot better in the opening days when they were keeping the server loads light. Now that they've scaled up the number of players online at the same time the game is not performing well.

Empire station is ridiculous now. 5 fps all the time. The game runs fantastic with lower numbers of players but once you get above 175 or so and there are large groups the game starts choking on everything it's trying to load. It's great in the middle of the night, very few people in any of the zones, empire station is maybe 50 people, so runs like glass.

I want them to give us smaller instances so it runs better. I'd be happy with an empty instance just for me if I chose that option.

Space combat has also started to stutter...not sure why, this appears to be a private instance for each player, I would hope the game would run much better during those...

All that said, I'm really enjoying the game. So far the updates and such have been enough to keep more a bit happier than frustrated but they seem to keep pushing me to that line then they fix something. I think the IA is getting an update on monday that includes something I hope will help with the cover system.

I'd like them to work on the GTN, searching for gear is tedious and often a waste of time.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 5, 2012, 12:49 Tumbler

I love Netflix. I think I'll start emailing companies that do not have their content on netflix and complain.

News Comments > Syndicate Co-op Trailer
6. Re: Syndicate Co-op Trailer Jan 3, 2012, 23:44 Tumbler

Amazon says this ships on February 21, 2012...Wow.

This looks awful.

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
4. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 13:48 Tumbler

This one's even better:
http://i.imgur.com/1J98e.jpg

Wow.

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
1. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 13:36 Tumbler

Top comment on reddit:

Banning for this comes off as an amateur move.

Couldn't agree more. There is no excuse for banning for looting higher level zones. If he's using some bizarre stealth trick to get past mobs and loot containers then fix that in the future. Banning people for something like this is just shy of incompetent.

I'd never say this on the official forums though...because they'd probably ban me!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2011, 13:00 Tumbler

The viacom vs Harmonix case makes me hopefully that Activision will get slapped with something similar vs the former heads of Infinity Ward.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2011, 12:10 Tumbler

I hope the court throws this out. It would be one this if the device was branded with a decepticon logo or was a dark purple or red or something in line with that franchise. Simply using the word transform to describe this item seems to cause no confusion for consumers...I hope they update the legal documents behind trademarks soon because this is just institutionalized extortion so large companies holding lots of trademarks can suppress competition in any form.

Let's trademark letters in the Alphabet. I'll take A,E,I,O,U. Open a law office and SUE EVERYONE!

Although if this were some sort of viral marketing campaign I'd say it worked because I went and looked up this tablet. My father has been talking about wanting a tablet with a keyboard and this seems like something to might work for him. I think I'd rather he buy one of those sturdier ones that looks like a netbook and the screen pops out. (screen is a tablet) This looks too delicate for him I think.

News Comments > BF3 Free Physical Warfare Pack
4. Re: BF3 Free Physical Warfare Pack Dec 21, 2011, 00:29 Tumbler

If I install this, what will it unlock in SWTOR? Anything? No? Well that is too bad. Maybe you can make a star wars expansion for your game then I might want to play it again.  

6124 Comments. 307 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo