Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6266 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
17. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 12:57 Tumbler

I would not be surprised if this person had been working without pay for more than a month when she quit and rather than giving them all the free work she'd done she chose to destroy it.

Who knows what really happened but bringing this suit makes them look like idiots. Connecting the failure of this game to sell with losing your marketing materials is just hilarious. I heard a lot about your game before launch and I know a lot of people bought it because the "internet" was very vocal about the quality of the game.

Marketing was not the problem here. I almost bought the game at launch but after Demigod I wasn't all that eager to jump in early.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Kickstart
6. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 00:16 Tumbler

Wow! I was expecting very little when I visited that kickstarter page. Really like the art style and the mechanics of moving between planets. I was a heartbeat away from going in at $95...need to pace myself...can't jump in fully just yet. Let's see what this Tshirt looks like then we'll talk big money.

That $1000 level where you get your own custom commander is pretty awesome...

News Comments > C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer
36. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:56 Tumbler

Wasn't Bioware involved in this?

*Checking commandandconquer.com/free*

Yep Bioware...and someone named Victory Games. Looks pretty. I'm kind of happy it's "free" because I don't expect this to be good and to verify that for $0 instead of $60 is fine by me.

News Comments > BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC
19. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 14:48 Tumbler

How much longer before you pay $60 for the menu and the engine, and ALL the content is for-pay DLC?

Next Gen launches in 2013...I thought you'd heard? My spider sense is telling me that DLC is priority number 1 going forward so I think we're going to see $60 games be treated more as store fronts and tons of stuff will be purchasable after you buy the game. It should be an amazing disaster to watch unfold.

News Comments > BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC
7. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 12:31 Tumbler

I'm agreeable to all this day one dlc bullshit if the game is $40. That way I can feel like it's my option to buy your content that you cut out of the game and build the experience I want.

Having Day one Dlc when your game is $60 is just blatant exploitation of your biggest fans. Keep biting the hand that feeds you, there is nothing wrong with that business plan. I mean apple does it so you can do it too! They pull all kinds of stupid crap with their consumers, that's just the new normal!

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup
12. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 13:46 Tumbler

If anyone else is wondering what this skill tree actually does I think this is useful.

One of the first skills available in the BFF tree is called Close Enough. This means your bullets that hit walls or other objects, that is, miss their target, have a chance to ricochet off towards the enemy.

"Can't aim? That's not a problem," Hemingway said.

In a gameplay demo, Gearbox showed this skill in action. At points, after taking damage against bandits, the Mechromancer was able to hide behind cover waiting for shields to recharge. From there, she could safely shoot in the general direction of the enemy, with bullets magically hitting targets.

This sounds like silly idea, especially for a character coming 60 days after launch. If you want a very forgiving auto aim on player 2 just make an option in the game menu. Seems like you're wasting a perfectly good skill tree just to try and hide the fact that there is an easy mode.

And I'm not the only one noticing that the girl character has a power called "Explosive Clap" right? We're talking about claptrap though, not an STD!

Feels like someone stood up and said, "THIS GAME NEEDS MORE DUKE!"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
42. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2012, 16:24 Tumbler

So did this come up yet?

Romney to pick Rob Portman for VP? (Rumor)

Is that a fire burning over there? Lemme just put that out with GASOLINE!!!!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2012, 12:43 Tumbler

15% are paid fakes.

15% of his paid twitters followers are willing to admit they are paid. You can almost guarantee the number is far higher. 15% are the one who feel enough guilt or whatever to admit to this fact.

Honestly the people being are probably smarter than those of us not being paid...it's all about money right? That is how the system works, you spend money to get what you want...so if I'm not going to get national healthcare systems and fewer loopholes for massive corporations to exploit then I should at least get paid right?

News Comments > THQ Results: InSane Cancelled
17. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 6, 2012, 22:59 Tumbler

Seems like this game is pretty far along, at a year and a half in development, no? There going to be a studio shut down this friday? (or tommorrow?)  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 6, 2012, 20:37 Tumbler

Next gen consoles are about as exciting as vita's and 3ds'.  

News Comments > Diablo III Hero Profiles Live
4. Re: Diablo III Hero Profiles Live Aug 6, 2012, 17:38 Tumbler

This makes me sad.  

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Aug 4, 2012, 17:10 Tumbler

I'm not sure the extra sales at a 40-dollar price point justify a 25% price cut.

I think I forgot to mention an important part of my example. Max Payne 3 for me was a fail. I didn't like it. I paid $40 and quit playing after an hour or two because it wasn't holding my attention. Never went back. There have been many other games that have done this and if I paid $60 for them I was pissed. Furious in fact.

$40 doesn't get me as mad. I bought BF3 on pc for $35 shortly after launch and ended up in a very similar situation and again...it sucks I dont' like it but at $40 or less price point I can move on.

The whole "one price fits all" solution they expect consumers to play along with is a joke. $60 is not an amount of money I can just laugh off and say, "Oh well, no biggie."

The original article was trying to discuss the whole angry gamer / developer cycle that seems to be getting worse. The problem is that not everyone is going to like your game and offering only one price to everyone regardless if they end up liking your game and playing it 80 hours or hate it and quit after an hour is creating this rage.

The industry standard of no returns ever is fueling this because as publishers desperately try and get more money out of gamers it's pissing more and more people off.

Lowering prices would counter some of this tsunami of rage that seems to be always building. Offer a return policy. Give some sign that you appreciate people spending money on your products. The companies that do this seem to be having none of these problems. It's not rocket science. The devs / pubs who are getting shouted down anytime they come up to say anything have been acting like a bunch of assholes.

Quit being assholes and gamers will treat you more like Valve.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 17:59 Tumbler

Why change what's working right now and go straight to $40? You were only willing to pay $40 for Max Payne 3, and within a few weeks you could.

I don't think it is working. I don't look at new games coming out and see one that I want to spend $60 on. They're just not good enough. Or maybe I've just seen to many. I don't know why more and more games seem to be just taking older mechanics and throwing new paint on them and trying to pass it off as new and innovative.

My time is being continually pulled away from games because the quality of entertainment I get seems to be waning. I often prefer reading reddit, watching youtube video's, listing to books on tape via audible.com or just watching movies. Hell, I like watching many games on Let's Play videos on youtube over playing them.

Maybe it's the story driven narrative that so many games try to copy. Be like a movie and people will love it! Well it just ends up feeling like an awful movie because you end up "watching" the same scene play out a dozen times before you get to see the story advance. (a dozen waves of enemies)

I don't know what's wrong exactly. I just know I'm not going to pay for it anymore. (Pay a premium)

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 16:14 Tumbler

Funny thing happened recently for me.

I bought max payne 3 for $40. When it came out at $60 I thought that was a rip off. When it hit $40 it was ok.

I bought diablo 3 at launch more out of morbid curiosity than anything else and feel like that was a bad purchase. (Paid $0, all trade in credit)

I recently purchased Borderlands 2 PC via green man gaming. I'd decided to pass on the game recently and pulled my pre-orders. The game looked interesting but not for $60. But $40? Ok. I'm even willing to cut you some slack if I end up not liking it.

But $60? You better deliver something that knocks my sock. Most companies don't and I think that is where the problem is.

$60 is no longer a realistic price to expect for games. Some companies, the so called self made brands:

Tim Schafer, Notch, Cliff Bleszinski, and Gabe Newell can afford to be frank because they either own their companies or are brands in and off themselves, functionally unfirable.

Those guys are successful because the games they make have continually met expectations of gamers. (not sure how Bleszinski is in there...) If you make games that meet expectations gamers will be happy with you. If you don't and you expect everyone to pay the same price as if you did then people will (and do) feel ripped off.

Lower prices. $40 should be the norm. $50-$60 for the biggest games. Don't and you're only signing your own pink slip. Enjoy!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Amazon Instant Video App Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 Tumbler

Awesome. I love renting videos from Amazon and I've got prime so I occasionally go find something to watch on that as well. Canceled netflix recently because it was becoming too hard to find anything I wanted to watch.

I don't understand why netflix can't offer a way to rent new releases online and / or allow you to buy movies to hold in your library. I think they're falling behind Amazon and Apple who can both offer ownership of movies digitally that can be viewed remotely. I'm getting to the point where i want to be able to buy a movie once and just watch it where ever I am. I believe Apple and Amazon offer this but my first choice would have been netflix.

This whole split off the at home rental market and streaming market has been a disaster. I'm not even sure how they can recover going forward. Maybe if Sony or MS buys them out and makes that service exclusive to that platform they can then integrate their own marketplace services into one service...

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 12:08.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 2, 2012, 12:01 Tumbler

The Wii U was a pretty good idea 3 years ago. It's nice to see the biggest games on the PS3 coming to the Wii as well. I'm sure that would move more copies of those games in the future but doing that now seems kind of odd. Assuming MS and Sony are just about to launch a new console we could very quickly see the Wii U version of newer games looking like the Wii version today. (graphically inferior at least, or a completely different game)

It will be interesting to see what Assassin's Creed looks like on Wii U. (just as a comparison) AC3 is october 30 on Xbox and Ps3 so I wonder if that is the launch date for Wii U? That'd be odd considering that is less than 3 months from now. I'd expect them to be doing a lot more advertising if that were the case.

News Comments > World of Tanks Patches
11. Re: World of Tanks Patches Aug 1, 2012, 18:58 Tumbler

The match balancing in this is completely bonkers. I am tier 4 and am regularly put against tier 7's ... with about as much chances getting a kill. Yes, its a team war, sadly if 60% of the team is tier 7 and I am tier 4 this matters nothing.

That info screen in the beginning does a fairly good job of warning you what is coming. If you're at the top, you're likely going to have a good time, if you're at the bottom then you should make sure you play very defensive.

I didn't realize how important looking at that grid was for a long time. 4 tier battles (tier 4,5,6,7) are not very fun when you're tier 4. The best thing you can do is prepare yourself to be totally out gunned and plan accordingly. Other matches you'll find yourself in the middle in a 2 tier match, (4 and 5) and it's so nice when they stick you at the top, that means you're in the best tank. (however that is rated)

Basically ignore all the experience you've had when you're shown at the bottom. Your job is to dig a hole and survive. You stay back an guard artillery, you hide behind tank destroyers, you pray you spot enemies who are fighting other tanks so you can shoot them without being blown to bits the moment you're seen.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 31, 2012, 22:10 Tumbler

It looks like a simple blog...(digg) I hope you have a lot more planned...  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 00:32 Tumbler

I still feel burned out by the first game...is there a cheat that gives you lots of money to spend? Always felt frustrated that I couldn't just build this crazy dungeon to try and toy with the orcs. Too busy fighting to have fun watching all the traps go off.  

News Comments > PC Dawnguard Info "This Week"
9. Re: PC Dawnguard Info "This Week" Jul 30, 2012, 15:41 Tumbler

Seems like the Steamworks content available is far more interesting than this expansion.

Where are my fucking dragon mounts Bethesda? Why did you make something with Vampires? Who gives a shit about Vampires?! This game is about DRAGONS. Give us some fucking dragons to play with!!!

And flying mounts! I want to play joust in the sky with my flying horse and a Dragon! And I want to ride dragons where I straff downs and drown them in fire! I want to hear stories in the nearby town about how my actions! Did you hear about the dragon? It killed everyone in Greenwood! Or if someone saw you riding the dragon then maybe the whole town would run from you screaming, "It's the dragon rider!!!" And guards would attack you for your crimes!

This shit writes itself Bethesda, why on earth did you make some stupid expansions about vampires?!

6266 Comments. 314 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo