Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6136 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative Released
1. Re: Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative Released May 8, 2012, 15:17 Tumbler

Portal 2 is $6.79 on sale today!?

Holy Shit Valve. Just holy shit.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 14:47 Tumbler

Here's the test for a bubble:
1) Are people spending lots of money?
2) Is the money being spent someone foolishly, without much due diligence or regard for how reasonable the promised returns are?
3) If the promises don't come true, will people become much stingier?

Again, two sides of the coin.

For Kickstarter stuff:
1) No.
2) No.
3) Maybe.

For AAA $60 stuff:
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

I don't know how many kickstarter projects have fan boys but a lot of the companies that make AAA games do and I'm pretty sure those guys don't do a lot of due diligence before they run in screaming, "TAKE MY MONEY!"

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 14:24 Tumbler

Too much stupid shit that has no chance of ever coming to fruition or living up to promises keeps getting kickstarted made by big publishers.

Two sides of a coin I guess, your comments seem to paint the gaming industry perfectly and I see Kickstarter as the complete opposite. A lot of stuff that the gaming industry seems to salivate over gets passed over or barely makes it on kickstarter, FPS's, and the ideas and games that the industry scoffs at, Wasteland 2, Double Fine Adventure game, gets a tidal wave of support.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 14:17 Tumbler

nin wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:04:
I'll kick in $50 towards the EA takeover kickstarter! $100 if I get to fire everyone at bioware!

Not EVERYONE. Some of their writers are actually really, really good. Just fire Walters, Hudson, Laidlaw and Gaider.

I'm in for $100.

Creston

Take. My. Money. I'd throw in extra if they'd hosted an awards style event where they went through every employee and told of their exploits in their more recent games, then handed them a pink slip when they come on stage.

That'd be the fucking oscars of Gaming.

And here we have Sally Someone, she is the marketing director of Bioware and was a key figure in adding the Jessica Chobot character to the game. Please come forward to accept your pink slip. You're Fired, we're all so grateful that we could be here tonight and fire you in person.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 13:50 Tumbler

I don't think Kickstarter is a Bubble. Kickstarter is the "App Store" of game development.

There was an article that talked about the failure rate of App developers. I think 60% of app makers fail to turn a profit. (ie Succeed)

Well if 40% are succeeding there is only one thing that matters here. Are 40% of people going into the gaming industry to start careers succeeding?

I don't think they are. I think the publishers are positioned only to exploit that work force rather than see studios come up and succeed. I think we'll see more and more people at these larger companies ask themselves, "Why am I not building my own games? Why am I working for people that are going to fire me if I don't work 60 hours a week for pennies? I can make the same pennies making my own game and not deal with these assholes."

I'm a lot more interested in the games I'm seeing on Kickstarter than I am in the upcoming new releases from the AAA gaming industry. I think that says it all about where we're headed. Ac3, Blops2, dead space 3, Max Payne 3, Sequel, sequel, sequel. Enough of this shit. Who fucking needs the same god damn games over and over again. Am I the only one who feels like the whole thing is falling apart? I can't think of any games I'm dying to play as I was in the past. Mass Effect 3 fucking blew me out of the water. Maybe swtor had a lot to do with it as well. I had pre-orders in for Borderlands 2 and was planning on buying Bioshock Infinite 2. Now? Fuck them both. And they canceled Prey 2?! I'm not buying anymore of these games unless their on clearance for $10 or less. I just see all these companies trying to steal my money. Buy our new games, you'll love it! (You won't, but we'll have your money!)

I'll keep spending money on kickstarter as long as the ideas and games look better there than they do from the "big guys". Bubble my ass, the gaming industry is headed straight for a wall and it's going to be a grisly scene when they hit.

News Comments > New Dead Space & Need for Speed Within a Year
3. Re: New Dead Space & Need for Speed Within a Year May 7, 2012, 23:48 Tumbler

I wouldn't mind playing more dead space. I hope they have a lot of new ideas though because Dead Space 2 was feeling tired by the end. The story also seemed to be getting kind of stupid. In the first you discover this crazy artifact and the story is all about figuring out more about this artifact. Then in the 2nd one they apparently have learned how to make these artifacts that no one understood in the first? And it's way bigger...why is it bigger? Oh and now there are dozens of them at the end? I thought this was some crazy special artifact and now you're making them by the dozen?

Ugh you're going to Mass Effect 3 this aren't you? Ah fuck, I know the answer.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
67. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 17:53 Tumbler

Some of the "What the?!?!" moments for me playing the open beta weekend were:

Health Potion Cool-down... wtf?

The health potion cool-down stuff was the most memorable moment of that weekend for me. That treasure hunting elf or whatever he is showed up and instead of letting him run off I tried chasing him to see how much he'd drop. Well that little bastard ran through every mob he could find and before long I had a circus of death following me and that is when I learned that I couldn't use health potions without a cool down. So I started running away and then I only pulled more mobs, more and more mobs, there was an army chasing me and everywhere I ran I just kept getting more guys! I'd get a bit away and fire a few attacks, somehow I stayed alive long enough to use a health potion but no matter how far I ran I just kept pulling more and more guys and they wouldn't give up.

So I started heading to town in hopes that this would all reset and I made it only to realize these guys don't give a FUCK about towns. They came charging after me anyway and I had guards helping here at least and they were channeled into narrow areas where it was easier to defend but I had to back track through the whole town before I killed the last guy. Walking back through the town was like walking on a trail of bodies. There were dead guys everywhere, I must have killed 100 enemies in the town streets.

That was a lot of fun. Try running through the map and see how many enemies you can pull. I'm guessing later enemies will have snare traps and stuff that slows you down so I'm guessing this won't work all the time.

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
5. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 13:36 Tumbler

DLC has always been about a strategy to sell the content you make in a normal dev cycle in waves so you get $60 for the release then a trail over time.

The studios making content after release the way consumers think of DLC are an anomoly. (or a lie, or a marketing trick) It's all ready to go on disc and the desire to make a profit is getting to the point where they don't even make enough content to fill the disc for the $60 release and might as well ship the game with all the dlc from the start because I'm sure MS charges more to download large content packs than those 100kb keys.

It's a race to the bottom.

The big publishers are all about getting the least expensive game possible (as in we paid the devs peanuts!!!) and then have something to sell for as much money as possible. (as in they get this, this and this for $60, then this and this are DLC and cost $5 extra) In the past all this content was simply one item for $60. Now it's multiple items that cost more than $60 and it's shorter, built by people who will work for peanuts, and the company is likely already shopping the sequel around to guys that will work for less on the next version.

It's a race to the bottom.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Connection Issues
1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Connection Issues May 3, 2012, 20:30 Tumbler

Ooo, you look like a pirate, we can't let you play.
I'm not a pirate, I'm using origin too. Why do you think I'm a pirate?
Let's see your online pass sir.
My what?

Take em away boys!

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Revealed?
12. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 15:47 Tumbler

After DoW2, the expansions, Company of Heroes Online and then Space Marine I'm not feeling good about the next game from Relic. And I suppose that weird mini game is something too. All that weird dlc for those leader characters...can't even remember what they called it.

I'm expecting this to be some weird hybrid between space marine and CoH. The scanned mag images definitely seem to suggest they're going to extreme detail up close which looks like a FPS/3PS at times.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 MP DLC Plans
26. Re: Max Payne 3 MP DLC Plans May 2, 2012, 17:48 Tumbler

Bastion is $6 on Steam today. Never played that so I guess I know what I'll be playing next week instead of this! (Max Payne)

A-10 from DCS is also $13. Flight Training has never been so cheap! Good luck finding a real A-10 to fly but dammit if you won't be ready to go when you do!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 16:57 Tumbler

Hell, while I'm dreaming, how about another season of "Firefly"? (We'll just forget the whole [SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!] Wash and Shepherd being dead thing from "Serenity", mkay?)

If they can rebuild that girl in the fifth element from her burned hand I think we can figure out someway to bring those two guys back. It's the future!

With absolutely no clue how much money or management is involved I think Netflix should jump head first into making original content exclusively for their service the same way Starz and Showtime and HBO do.

I much preferred watching Spartacus on Netflix and I'd never have paid for Starz to watch Spartacus season 2 but it was free with my cable bill. Was a good show but I'm not planning on paying for the channel when season 3 comes around. I wish netflix would offer all those channels (starz, showtime, hbo, etc,) via their site the same way cable companies offer them for an extra fee.

News Comments > On PC Black Ops II
37. Re: On PC Black Ops II May 2, 2012, 16:43 Tumbler

The reality is that it's one cubicle over from where they're making the console version.

That sounded so much cooler when I read it as, "it's one Crucible over from where they're making the console version."

I immediately started seeing a war raging between two gigantic crucibles, arrows screaming through the air, Wildfire exploding on the walls, the war drums from Lord of the Rings playing in the back ground.

Then I read it again...oh....cubicle...so much less exciting. I'm listening to the Game of Thrones books on tape right now and everything is beginning to blur into scenes in those books. I even bust out phrases and start rhyming my speech at times, this is an amazing experience. I highly recommend Audible.com and those audio books. Costs $20 a book and I believe the first one ends up being free with a new membership but omg it's sooo fucking good.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 MP DLC Plans
1. Re: Max Payne 3 MP DLC Plans May 2, 2012, 10:11 Tumbler

*what I see*

Look at all the stuff we're not including in your $60 purchase! Isn't it exciting to know how much content we still have for you to buy?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2012, 13:36 Tumbler

Lack of games is a pretty broad stroke on the Vita. At a core level the games they sell on those little sticks are a sign of what Sony considers a priority on the machine. I would prefer Sony push digital games and ship the vita with built in storage expecting people to buy most of their games online.

It's a 3g/wifi device after all. This is what they should have done with the psp and instead they let it die with that stupid umd format. Seems like they're on the same path as before. It's foolish to sell a proprietary format memory card that is required to use it how it is should have been intended from the beginning.

They seem to think the lowered price will make it more enticing but what is a portable device with no memory and games on little cards good for these days?

Everything is going digital and Sony either needs to ship a new PSV that has lots of internal memory and change their strategy to sell things online...or watch this device fail miserably.

The Ipad seems like the mobile gaming device of the future. Any mobile game developer is likely hard at work building software for that and getting them to try to make something on the psv is going to take a LOT of money from Sony.

News Comments > Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month
3. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 15:38 Tumbler

Well that sounds....AWESOME!!!!!!

The puzzle maker can directly publish maps to the Steam Workshop where users can browse, vote on, and select to play them. Selected puzzles will automatically be downloaded and installed inside Portal 2.

I can't wait to see this in action. If the Skyrim mods are any indication I see myself playing a lot more portal 2 in the near future!

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
28. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 15:00 Tumbler

I thought this was coming out in May. My bad, carry on. Seems like poor marketing to be this vocal about a game when it's who knows how far off.  

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
25. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 14:14 Tumbler

Very disappointing that you cannot play the game without paying $60 first. The one day headstart when you pre-order from amazon is something. I guess if I make the pre-order then cancel it I may get that 1 day free trial out of it but that seems like a lot of trouble to be putting a legit customer through.

I'll stand on the side line and see for myself what this game plays like. Seems like there is smoke billowing up from behind the wall...otherwise why not let people play it risk free?

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration
9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 24, 2012, 22:45 Tumbler

Seems like the only people paying attention to Bioware now are the crazies. Turn on the game...then turn it off...?  

News Comments > Anno 2070 Deep Ocean Announced
6. Re: Anno 2070 Deep Ocean Announced Apr 23, 2012, 23:11 Tumbler

There are simply too many games to bother with anything that hassles paying customers.  

6136 Comments. 307 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo