Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6267 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light This Week
9. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 12, 2012, 16:32 Tumbler

BUY THIS.

Steam tells me I've racked up 43 hours in this game since getting into the beta. It's amazingly fun.

The game is fairly simple to get started but there is tremendous depth. You start with a basic set of weapons, shields and crew and learn to manage your little ship. Missiles punch through shields, lasers have to drop shields before doing damage, then things go nuts. You jump into the next start system and some preying mantis' transport onto your ship and run around killing your crew. They fight at double h2h strength so your best bet to run the fuck away from them.

About this time you'll hopefully notice the little doors everywhere. Guess what happens when you open them all and those little bastards are stuck in an airless room! Muahahha, crap they just chased you into the next room! Hopefully you'll realize you have medical facilities and fighting in there is your best bet. But oh shit, you have your entire crew trying to fight these bugs and no one is piloting the ship! The enemy ship is pummeling you with weapons and a fire just broke out in the engine room!

AHHH AHHH, BOOM! Mother2#$@#$@5#.

Lets try that again. 10 min later, MOTEHR@ #$@#$@#$, stupid rock men are immune to fire, they can literally light my ship on fire and walk around laughing at me as I hide in my med bay!

Again, doing better this time, I'll just head for the exit...oh god @#$@#$, this route doesn't lead to the exit, I'll just go back and...dammit trapped by rebel forces...BOOM!

This is the mother fucking Kobayashi maru. Try playing on normal. I play on easy almost exclusively because I still can't beat the end guy.

Oh and I haven't even touch on cloaking devices, upgrades systems and subsystems, beam weapons, bombs, hull missiles, drones, evasion, teleporters, modules like long range sensors....my god. Get ready because it is a fucking great ride to learn all the details that game lets you jump into.

Protip: Upgrade your doors, that looks like a stupid thing to upgrade when you start playing but look who's laughing when those stupid mantis show up and get trapped in a room you are venting out to space! Pro-Pro tip, do not do this on the Rock ship, you will understand why once you use it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage
21. Re: BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage Sep 11, 2012, 16:45 Tumbler

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 10:48:
"Hey what you doing tomorrow? Wanna take pictures of Greek military bases right when they have the biggest crisis in the history of the nation?"

I'm confused. What is the crisis in greece that warrants them freaking out about pictures of their military bases? Is the population attacking these installations on a routine basis? Last I heard the currency was in trouble but what exactly would be the point of being so secretive about your military bases...you can't exactly pay for a standing army with promises.

Greece worried about invasion from their neighbors?

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC Pricing
17. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 14:57 Tumbler

Because the code to unlock it is included in the box with all preorders and, most likely, all initial shipments, and also likely, all shipments ever.

If that is the case, code comes with all copies ever, I will withdraw my complaint about the whole issue. I suppose it could be clever marketing to simply not discuss that someone can still get the extra content buying the game a week later.

13. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 14:13 Tumbler

You mean the DLC included in your preorder?

Included is a funny word to use. I didn't receive it when I pre-ordered, I won't receive it when the game is delivered but I should get it without paying additional funds when it's released. (about 5 weeks from now)

I think you're missing my point. The way they are advertising this seems to suggest that it's sitting there on the shelf ready to go. (and I believe it is) It's clearly holding content back from people who don't pre-order and I just find the whole thing disappointing.

This isn't unique to them but it's altogether disturbing that we're at a point where publishers can literally hold content hostage if you don't pre-order. For $40 and because it's borderlands 2 and because the advertising and footage shown so far has been spot on for what I'd want, I pre-ordered. But I can think of no other game that this whole dog and pony show would work on me....hmmm maybe prey 2. Assuming the above were true about Prey 2 I might go along with the whole pre-order or you get screwed approach.

Generally speaking this tactic is like a hammer and nail to my wallet. I have a tough time believing that this isn't going to cause significant harm to gross sales of the industry. If this was a $60 item I'd be happily sitting on the sideline waiting for a sale or for a used purchase at the right price.

Edit: Ooo Planetary Annihilation is getting some awesome incentives if we reach higher goals! Hmm I'll just up my $15 pledge to ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. HAPPILY. Because they don't act like a bunch of fucking dicks.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3: Armored Kill
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Sep 11, 2012, 12:44 Tumbler

Meh, the trailer looked very interesting but then I have all those memories of what playing BF3 is really like. I think if they'd gone and modded all the maps to be big so the experience could be consistent across a dozen maps I'd be more inclined to give them a 2nd chance.  

8. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 12:38 Tumbler

You know for $40 I'm willing to put up with a lot of crap but announcing a release date and price for dlc like this gives the distinct impression it's already done...

I am content with my purchase (net $37.50) all things considered but I feel like this is just reinforcing my opinion that $60 games are doing the best they can at ripping off consumers. Just going to throw another padlock on the door to my wallet. Let's just make sure I don't do anything stupid like pay more than $40 for games like these.

Thanx AAA gaming industry! Now I can spend more money on Kickstarter! Like that Star Trek Pinball table! Just happened across that last night, how did I miss that!? $10, SOLD! Oh you want $10 for some DLC for borderlands 2...hmmm well how about you go wash my car and mow my lawn and then you'll have earned $10 from me.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Beta Begins
3. Re: Steam Big Picture Beta Begins Sep 10, 2012, 20:58 Tumbler

I think they want an interface you can control with just a controller. UI that scales would be a nice addition as well.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 10, 2012, 15:49 Tumbler

Evil Game publishers: Muhahah, we tricked you into paying full price for what you thought was the full game!!! hahahaha! Making money is so easy! Like taking candy from babies! I love the gaming industry. Now pay us $10 to get the rest of the game you fools! Hahahaha!

Consumer: yeah, i'm gonna go play something else.

Evil Game Publisher: PIRACY, we're losing money from PIRACY!

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 9, 2012, 12:38 Tumbler

blueshirt3k wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 09:40:
I read somewhere this was paid via the customer's bank's bill paying service. They apparently typo and forgot the decimal point.

It's odd that he's even bothering with Comcast. Why not just put a stop on the payment? Hmm, this was probably and EFT payment and I'm guessing he didn't realize it until a few days later. Seems like a lot of companies are establishing electronic payment instructions behind the scenes with bill pay so the banks don't even send checks.

In this case if it was a check he could put a stop payment on it. Seems like common sense to me but it's easy to understand why older folks may not have had many bad experiences like this to know you can't give companies an inch. If you over pay them you need to do everything in your power to stop that payment because getting any company to give you money is going to be a lot harder than dealing with a stop payment.

News Comments > End of Nations Beta Event
11. Re: End of Nations Beta Event Sep 8, 2012, 10:29 Tumbler

.net_Drifter wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 03:04:
Tumbler wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 21:59:
Hmm, guess I'll boot this up. Good thing I updated...wait...600mb download needed.

Okay, back to FTL!

So far, I'm really liking FTL.
It has this retro, C64/Amiga feel to me, and the game will beat you down in a heartbeat.

I'm LOVING FTL. I really hope this is an amazing runaway success for the guy. It's so simple to play but there is so much to see and do. The achievements he picked to unlock other ships were perfect. I just unlocked the lvl 2 rock ship and holy cow that thing is fun. IT'S DOESN'T HAVE ANY WEAK SPOTS, IT'S A ROCK!!!

News Comments > End of Nations Beta Event
4. Re: End of Nations Beta Event Sep 7, 2012, 21:59 Tumbler

Hmm, guess I'll boot this up. Good thing I updated...wait...600mb download needed.

Okay, back to FTL!

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
13. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 14:40 Tumbler

If this is true, my opinion of Stardock just plummeted.

Only just!? Did you not see or read anything about Elemental several years back?

Stardock looked to be an up and coming studio and then elemental happened. I'm sure the problems in the company started showing a year or two before that while that game was in development but from what I remember immediately following elementals release they had to cut down their teams immensely because all the money they'd spend on elemental was looking like a total loss.

Seemed to be a story of poor leadership, extending themselves too far too fast. A company that size should have maybe tried one new IP or possibly focus'd on improving existing IP like Sins or Galactic Civ 2. Instead they jumped head on into Elemental and Demigod (I believe) and possibly others we never heard about with no concern for how those products would sell. Maybe there was more work being done on demigod and they canned that team or perhaps they just got rid of the elemental team and put the remaining funds into Sins Rebellion? The sale of impulse must have freed up some funds and maybe that is why we're seeing elemental and Sins Rebellion now.

Who knows. This is all wild speculation but that company looked like they were going to knock things out of the park and they just imploded. Again, I'm just interpreting things I remember and I have no idea what was really going on in the company.

News Comments > TRANSFORMERS Dinobot Destructor Pack DLC Next Week
2. Re: TRANSFORMERS Dinobot Destructor Pack DLC Next Week Sep 5, 2012, 21:18 Tumbler

I thought dinobots were the main feature of this game. They are sold seperately for mp side?

Classy.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer
5. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 4, 2012, 22:51 Tumbler

This DLC, like the other packs, would be more interesting if the changes were applied to all the maps. I never liked all these little mini games that the MP component ends up breaking up into.
Vanilla, Strike at Karkland, Close Quarters, Armored kill. That part where they said 4 new maps kind of kills it for me. I wish they'd implement these updates across all the maps so that if you love close quarters stuff you can simply play any of the maps, including this newest set, under those "rules" or whatever.

Maybe it'd be fun to fly the c130 gunship around that caspian border map? Maybe it'd be fun to use the blackhawk (there is a blackhawk...right?) on Firestorm (or whatever that map is called) This isn't a new problem but I don't understand why they can't implement more variety across all the maps as they add more content.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
22. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 13:42 Tumbler

I pre-ordered because they deserve my (discounted on GMG) money...

This. Ended up pre-ordering this game only because it was under $40. ($37.50) I technically pre-ordered it at $40 but GMG offered me a $2.50 credit on my next purchase when I asked them about the $37.50 price.

BL2 might be the only game I buy this holiday season and I still was ready to pass on it if it was more than $40.

That being said I'm DROWNING in game right now. The $60 boxed products we're used to seeing each year seem to be way easier to ignore with so many F2P games and lower priced alternatives.

Mechwarrior Online
Planetside 2
Torchlight 2
FTL
Star Command

Shit, I know there are tons more but this is all my feeble brain can handle for now. I'm sure I'll have a whole new list next week! Whoops, forget Gotham City Imposters is Free now! GAMMMEEZZZZ! GAMEZ EVARYWARE! FUCK YO SEAZON PASS BITCH!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 2, 2012, 14:03 Tumbler

I STILL have it installed which is weird. I haven't touched it in months. I think I put about 30 hours into it then lost interest. I keep it installed because I keep feeling like any minute I'll want to play it again...still hasn't happened yet.  

News Comments > Diablo III Nerf Warning
2. Re: Diablo III Nerf Warning Sep 2, 2012, 13:52 Tumbler

I keep hoping they'll tweak loot drops so that playing the game constantly feels like you're choosing between using the new gear you just found and keeping the old gear you have.

Borderlands did this so amazingly well. As you play the drops kept giving you things that were subtly different and it looks like they've stuck with that in borderlands 2. (Based on the very little in game footage i've seen....)

Finding loot is fun if it's useful. I have a staff of "Burning Fools" but I just picked up a staff of "Freezing dudes". Do I want to stick with burning or try out freezing? Oh man I just found staff of "Melting Mofo's!" which one do I use!?!!?

That might happen once every few days in diablo 3. You can have something like that experience going into the auction house but that is so disruptive to the experience.

I am really looking forward to Borderlands 2. I want to get my loot in game not in an auction house.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 NDA Ends
30. Re: PlanetSide 2 NDA Ends Sep 2, 2012, 12:29 Tumbler

Despite this guys commentary this youtube video just got me onboard with this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8N1vaYpJdo

That looks like a lot of fun. Going to go look for a place to pre-order. (assuming you get instant beta access plus some toys later)

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2012, 14:30 Tumbler

Wow, that lawsuit against fry's seems to be an example of the system working. Hopefully that money will actually get paid. Girl gets harrassed, tells guy to stop, later reports him to her supervisor, manager of store is put in charge of investigation, girls supervisor who files the report is fired, he files claim with Equal opportunity employment ...something or ather, fry's defends the store manager and harasser (asst store manager), refuses to cooperate and provide required evidence, and in the end it looks like the story is going to pay big time for being such a bunch of scumbags.  

News Comments > Gotham City Impostors Goes Free-to-Play
4. Re: Gotham City Impostors Goes Free-to-Play Aug 31, 2012, 11:22 Tumbler

Should be interesting to try this, downloading now.  

6267 Comments. 314 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo