Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6214 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 17:59 Tumbler

Why change what's working right now and go straight to $40? You were only willing to pay $40 for Max Payne 3, and within a few weeks you could.

I don't think it is working. I don't look at new games coming out and see one that I want to spend $60 on. They're just not good enough. Or maybe I've just seen to many. I don't know why more and more games seem to be just taking older mechanics and throwing new paint on them and trying to pass it off as new and innovative.

My time is being continually pulled away from games because the quality of entertainment I get seems to be waning. I often prefer reading reddit, watching youtube video's, listing to books on tape via audible.com or just watching movies. Hell, I like watching many games on Let's Play videos on youtube over playing them.

Maybe it's the story driven narrative that so many games try to copy. Be like a movie and people will love it! Well it just ends up feeling like an awful movie because you end up "watching" the same scene play out a dozen times before you get to see the story advance. (a dozen waves of enemies)

I don't know what's wrong exactly. I just know I'm not going to pay for it anymore. (Pay a premium)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 16:14 Tumbler

Funny thing happened recently for me.

I bought max payne 3 for $40. When it came out at $60 I thought that was a rip off. When it hit $40 it was ok.

I bought diablo 3 at launch more out of morbid curiosity than anything else and feel like that was a bad purchase. (Paid $0, all trade in credit)

I recently purchased Borderlands 2 PC via green man gaming. I'd decided to pass on the game recently and pulled my pre-orders. The game looked interesting but not for $60. But $40? Ok. I'm even willing to cut you some slack if I end up not liking it.

But $60? You better deliver something that knocks my sock. Most companies don't and I think that is where the problem is.

$60 is no longer a realistic price to expect for games. Some companies, the so called self made brands:

Tim Schafer, Notch, Cliff Bleszinski, and Gabe Newell can afford to be frank because they either own their companies or are brands in and off themselves, functionally unfirable.

Those guys are successful because the games they make have continually met expectations of gamers. (not sure how Bleszinski is in there...) If you make games that meet expectations gamers will be happy with you. If you don't and you expect everyone to pay the same price as if you did then people will (and do) feel ripped off.

Lower prices. $40 should be the norm. $50-$60 for the biggest games. Don't and you're only signing your own pink slip. Enjoy!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Amazon Instant Video App Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 Tumbler

Awesome. I love renting videos from Amazon and I've got prime so I occasionally go find something to watch on that as well. Canceled netflix recently because it was becoming too hard to find anything I wanted to watch.

I don't understand why netflix can't offer a way to rent new releases online and / or allow you to buy movies to hold in your library. I think they're falling behind Amazon and Apple who can both offer ownership of movies digitally that can be viewed remotely. I'm getting to the point where i want to be able to buy a movie once and just watch it where ever I am. I believe Apple and Amazon offer this but my first choice would have been netflix.

This whole split off the at home rental market and streaming market has been a disaster. I'm not even sure how they can recover going forward. Maybe if Sony or MS buys them out and makes that service exclusive to that platform they can then integrate their own marketplace services into one service...

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 12:08.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 2, 2012, 12:01 Tumbler

The Wii U was a pretty good idea 3 years ago. It's nice to see the biggest games on the PS3 coming to the Wii as well. I'm sure that would move more copies of those games in the future but doing that now seems kind of odd. Assuming MS and Sony are just about to launch a new console we could very quickly see the Wii U version of newer games looking like the Wii version today. (graphically inferior at least, or a completely different game)

It will be interesting to see what Assassin's Creed looks like on Wii U. (just as a comparison) AC3 is october 30 on Xbox and Ps3 so I wonder if that is the launch date for Wii U? That'd be odd considering that is less than 3 months from now. I'd expect them to be doing a lot more advertising if that were the case.

News Comments > World of Tanks Patches
11. Re: World of Tanks Patches Aug 1, 2012, 18:58 Tumbler

The match balancing in this is completely bonkers. I am tier 4 and am regularly put against tier 7's ... with about as much chances getting a kill. Yes, its a team war, sadly if 60% of the team is tier 7 and I am tier 4 this matters nothing.

That info screen in the beginning does a fairly good job of warning you what is coming. If you're at the top, you're likely going to have a good time, if you're at the bottom then you should make sure you play very defensive.

I didn't realize how important looking at that grid was for a long time. 4 tier battles (tier 4,5,6,7) are not very fun when you're tier 4. The best thing you can do is prepare yourself to be totally out gunned and plan accordingly. Other matches you'll find yourself in the middle in a 2 tier match, (4 and 5) and it's so nice when they stick you at the top, that means you're in the best tank. (however that is rated)

Basically ignore all the experience you've had when you're shown at the bottom. Your job is to dig a hole and survive. You stay back an guard artillery, you hide behind tank destroyers, you pray you spot enemies who are fighting other tanks so you can shoot them without being blown to bits the moment you're seen.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 31, 2012, 22:10 Tumbler

It looks like a simple blog...(digg) I hope you have a lot more planned...  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 00:32 Tumbler

I still feel burned out by the first game...is there a cheat that gives you lots of money to spend? Always felt frustrated that I couldn't just build this crazy dungeon to try and toy with the orcs. Too busy fighting to have fun watching all the traps go off.  

News Comments > PC Dawnguard Info "This Week"
9. Re: PC Dawnguard Info "This Week" Jul 30, 2012, 15:41 Tumbler

Seems like the Steamworks content available is far more interesting than this expansion.

Where are my fucking dragon mounts Bethesda? Why did you make something with Vampires? Who gives a shit about Vampires?! This game is about DRAGONS. Give us some fucking dragons to play with!!!

And flying mounts! I want to play joust in the sky with my flying horse and a Dragon! And I want to ride dragons where I straff downs and drown them in fire! I want to hear stories in the nearby town about how my actions! Did you hear about the dragon? It killed everyone in Greenwood! Or if someone saw you riding the dragon then maybe the whole town would run from you screaming, "It's the dragon rider!!!" And guards would attack you for your crimes!

This shit writes itself Bethesda, why on earth did you make some stupid expansions about vampires?!

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Digital Preorders
31. Re: Borderlands 2 Digital Preorders Jul 28, 2012, 06:21 Tumbler

Green Man Gaming is selling Borderlands 2 for $40 if you use this code: PARTP-ALCNO-TIESU

Steam activated code to be delivered. When gods and kings came out I bought it via GMG and the code was available on release day.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 20:58 Tumbler

Ironically all these dumb things are why I don't preorder games anymore. If the content of the game is going to be all cut up then I'll wait till its a fraction of the new price.  

News Comments > Diablo III Exploit Hotfixes
14. Re: Diablo III Exploit Hotfixes Jul 27, 2012, 12:53 Tumbler

There's really nothing Blizzard can do to stop this method of hacking since it falls on the user for using the same information and not using an authenticator.

That is nonsense. They can establish 2 step authentication and log computer access. A user account and password will suffice once you've logged in with a certain computer. If they see a login from a computer they havent seen before then two step auth. If the person has your email as well then u are kind of f-d. This is why users need to establish different login details on that email.

Steam does this, when you login from somewhere they don't recognize they won't do anything until they verify you can get into the email associated with the account.

That is what blizzard should be doing. Using the authenticator is a lazy solution and an indication that the company doesn't want to deal with the additional security measures that are becoming standard on everything else.

We're blizzard, we can have shit security if we want.

10. Re: Diablo III Exploit Hotfixes Jul 27, 2012, 12:18 Tumbler

Everyone who has ever had their account stolen fell for a phishing scam!

In fairness my username / password was possibly found on another website and used at blizzard but that info would not get them into my email...so you would think that before they let you change the email login info for the battle.net account they would do a confirmation/authentication email BEFORE they change the account info. I call it "2 step authenticaion". I'm gonna patent it cause obviously no one has thought of this...

Valve will probably want to know about this as well, oh wait...they've been doing it for a while now...oooo well that is embarassing Blizzard.

9. Re: Diablo III Exploit Hotfixes Jul 27, 2012, 12:14 Tumbler

That's why you should pay Blizzard for the privilege of owning one of their authenticator tokens. It only costs like 6 bucks so, really, it's almost like they're doing you a favor.

I did this with Swtor and in hind site it's a huge hassle. You need that stupid code to login to everything. Website, forums, account info, game, everything. Far as I can tell there is no easy way to remove it so I never bothered but to.

Nevermind that is costs $8 or something like that. If you need an authenticator just to play a game then you've failed as a developer.

6. Re: Diablo III Exploit Hotfixes Jul 27, 2012, 11:54 Tumbler

Wooo Hooo! I got hacked! I haven't logged in weeks (maybe a month?) and got an email last night from blizzard that my account info was being changed. I checked to make sure this wasn't a fake email and noticed I could not longer log into Battle.net.

Started the account recovery process and now I'm locked out and I've been warned that if this happens 2 more time they won't unlock it and I'll be forever banned!

Something I'm noticing now is that they don't have any additional security questions to make this kind of thing harder. The only option they offer for additional security is connected to a phone or an app. (app = phone in my mind) Long story short if I don't want to trust them with my phone info then security is limited at best.

Heh, no fucking way I'm putting your app on my phone or giving you the number Blizzard. I did add additional security to my email though, hopefully google can handle that...since they all but "own" my phone anyway...

News Comments > Iron Brigade Coming to Steam?
2. Re: Iron Brigade Coming to Steam? Jul 26, 2012, 14:06 Tumbler

As someone who purchased this on XBLA I'd like to have access to play it on windows as well. Hopefully they can someway to get a person like me access without having to pay for the game again in full.  

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2012, 10:21 Tumbler

If you look at the gaming website's content in general as lobbyists for the AAA gaming industry this makes a bit more sense.

I'm seeing some evil billionaire sitting at a little table sipping tea, "Saying, oh no they can't do that." (When kickstarter first gets rolling)

Then "They can't do that!" (as more projects get funded)

"NO NO NO, they can't do that!!" (Kickstarter catches fire and projects start showing up from every direction)

"NOOOOO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!! STOPPP!!!! (today)

It just seems like a desperate attempt to keep people away, "They're all going to scam you!!!" as if people still believe the AAA gaming industry is trust worthy to listen to.

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
10. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 12:28 Tumbler

Meh. I can think of far more interesting things to do than play this game. Playing solitaire sounds like more fun.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Screenshot
18. Re: Wasteland 2 Screenshot Jul 20, 2012, 18:52 Tumbler

Nice! Looking forward to playing this!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 20, 2012, 12:26 Tumbler

Releasing a nex gen console will only accelerate the downturn in console gaming purchases. Some franchises will do fine (CoD) but the changes that would come with nex gen consoles are almost certain to be extremely anti consumer no matter what direction they take. Without a killer app for the Wii U I'd expect that to flounder like the 3ds and vita have. Nintendo could still come up with something but at this point the Wii was already showing Wii Sports (I believe) and that really is the main reason why that system did so well.

Still can't understand why my little 10 year old niece loves playing tennis on that. Even one player where you hit it off the wall, loves it. Heck keeping the system backwards compatible so that someone can simply play a prettier looking Wii sports might be enough to keep that system on life support...if not selling well.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
3. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 20, 2012, 12:09 Tumbler

I would not be surprised if MS (and Sony) deliberately set the cert process timeline longer just to give an easy excuse to devs and pubs because the public obviously hates this day one dlc practice.

Same excuse that ME3 devs used. It was after we finished the game, it doesn't count cause we made it after. (audio, video, art files found all over the place proving they'd worked on this heavily before cert started)

Keep it up AAA gaming industry! You're customers love you! You can do no wrong!

6214 Comments. 311 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo