Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 5982 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare Founders Retire
26. Re: BioWare Founders Retire Sep 18, 2012, 20:59 Tumbler

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 20:27:
I predict a kickstarter by these guys once their non-compete clauses run out (industry standard is 1 year minimum).

This. Kickstarter! Kickstarter! Kickstarter! Would anyone be surprised if these guys didn't have non compete clauses? When bioware was bought these guys were rockstars, maybe completing the last few products left them free and clear.

Bioware is done in my opinion. Franchises will be c&c'd to death.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup
34. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 16:22 Tumbler

Having lots of fun. My pre-order stuff showed up today, wasn't working last night but now I have all that stuff you were supposed to get at the start. The AK is ok, the SMG is junk (in my hands), the sniper is glorious! Combine that with the stasis hover power thing my chick has and I'm blowing heads off left and right.

Shift site isn't working for me...or maybe I already have the reward? Not sure but I can't seem to confirm my email and get the code to type in. Hopefully that is just an issue with release. What are u supposed to get from Shift? It looks like I have the golden vault key, is there more when you register with the site?

My only complaint is that weird moving effect you get when you use the menu's. (tab) I find that whole system annoying as hell. Press M to bring up map, then when I'm done I'll just press M again...M, M, M...the fuck? You have to close it with another key. Using this whole menu system is clunky. Maybe I should jump over to the controller, I remember that being excellent for the last one and the keyboard layout makes little sense to me. Melee is V? Why V? I moved that to Q and it still feels a little awkward.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 14:08 Tumbler

I picked up the season pass for BL2 when it was $22.50. I was going to pass on it but remembered that I had a $2.50 credit on GMG from buying BL2 at $40 and getting it price matched to $37.50. My out of pocket payment was $20, total cost for BL2 + Season pass was $60.

I'm content. I think I can stomach paying $5 per DLC pack.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:54 Tumbler

Haven't had time to play this in a few days. Glad to see everyone enjoying it. I bought the Wrath of Khan on blu ray the other day, I think I'll get that movie rolling then play this on the laptop...see how that feels.  

News Comments > Banner Saga Factions Revealed
1. Re: Banner Saga Factions Revealed Sep 15, 2012, 00:05 Tumbler

I like this idea! MOAR GAMEZ TO PLAY!  

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
53. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 17:42 Tumbler

Am I the only one that finds Obsidian using Kickstarter to be a bit repugnant?

I can't remember ever wanting to spend upwards of $100 on a game that has been made by publishers. On kickstarter it just seems like something that is normal. I can't express how much better it feels to be a customer via kickstarter than it does to be a customer via the developer/publisher/retailer model.

When the potential audience expands to the point that a lot more money is going to be made they don't pocket it and shave off content to sell as dlc, they add more content to the game. (stretch goals) They offer physical boxed products that I want to own. They offer t-shirts I want to own.

And every step of the way you're literally a keyboard away from the developers. There is no marketing machine carefully handing out clips, there is no publisher pushing for "more profitable features", it's just guys (&gals) making games.

It's beautiful. It's nice to be closer to the artists rather than feeling like you're getting fucked by the retailers. I want to see larger studios go this route. I think there is FAR more funding available than people realize. I think gamers want to be closer to the studio's and the ability to tailor a game to your desire is an awesome idea I hope others expand on. Planetary Annihilation offered to make you your own custom commander for $1000...I was REALLY tempted to get my own commander! What if the $100 level allowed everyone in that pool to vote on some exclusive items for that group (and above).

I think the pay your own price idea here can grow into some amazing options for fans.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2012, 17:48.

38. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 17:14 Tumbler

My first time doing Kickstarter. I am very wary of the concept overall, but my reasons behind taking the plunge for this particular game are as follows

If it helps at any point you can go "manage your pledge" and cancel it while the kickstarter is open. (32 days I believe) Most kickstarters like this will dump tons of additional info in the form of updates over the course of month. Planetary annihilation for example started off with a cool video of some gameplay but then over the course of hte month they realized how much more they could hope to accomplish so they started adding stretch goals all the way up to 2.1 million. Amazingly they hit EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Think of the first few days as a test to see if the idea has any chance. If funding flys in fast (so far it looks like they're going to pass the line on day one!) I would expect they'll go back to the drawing board and look how they can expand the funding goals to take advantage of additional funds.

I'm predicting you will be very happy in the coming days and weeks.

8. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 15:49 Tumbler

I'm in for $20.

I am anxious to see what effects this particular kickstarter has on the industry. This seems like the biggest studio that has attempted something like this. Just a few years ago these guys made a major AAA game and today they're going kickstarter.

Plus they have a catalogue of games that is impressive to say the least. I'd drop $100 today on them if this was a scifi game or something set in the future. My only complaint is that this is a fantasy game. I can get over that and enjoy it anyway but my funding this is hoping this project goes nuclear and gets WAY WAY WAY more funding than 1 million and they're able to deliver a product no one thought possible.

Then they try and do a future scifi game and pull in double what they get here!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million
56. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 16:50 Tumbler

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 15:08:
No, SWTOR PVP was about your DPS vs. their defense. Believe me, I played a rocket-shitting Mercenary most of the time I partook in that... You pick a target, then stand there and fire off your handful of skills in a specific order to maximize damage and hope they die before you do.

GW2 actually has some tactics, not the least of which is the ability to dodge attacks at your discretion. If not by rolling to evade, then just ducking and weaving to avoid projectiles. The mere ability to move while using skills completely changes things and makes it more dynamic and engaging than other MMOs.

Can you go into more detail on how many skills you have to manage in GW2 in PvP. I played a lot of pvp in Swtor and it is a lot of targeting and attacking but overtime I found I needed to just find a way to add in more of my skills to my attack suite. I could simply work with a few powers that do good damage and just try that but in hutball especially figuring out how to get the most out of my snare and blind powers plus how to activate my counters and evasion boosters and shields did make the combat more interesting.

The problem was that learning to use all those things at the same time was just stupid. You needed to have everything mapped to a key on the keyboard so that no matter what situation you ran into you could simply activate the powers you needed.

How many skills / powers are you managing while you fight in GW2? The alphabet soup of powers I managed in swtor left me feeling exhausted after games.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Sneak Peak
10. Re: Diablo III Patch Sneak Peak Sep 13, 2012, 15:18 Tumbler

How about blizzard just give up some cheat codes and we can spawn decent loot. Boom, game fixed. Fuck your auction house.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million
31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 12:33 Tumbler

GMG has a special on this right now, 25% off. So I wondered what that ended up being, $80 version was for sale, 25% off is $60. LOL, good try guys.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video
1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 09:41 Tumbler

Interrsted to here feedback when this comes out.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 13, 2012, 00:58 Tumbler

I'm kind of surprised the Iphone 5 isn't more interesting. The size of the screen seems to be the biggest feature I see on newer phones. The Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note seem to be leading that charge and I was kind of expecting apple to show up with something the size of the Galaxy S3.

We just got an S3 for my wife and it's damn impressive. My HTC droid incredible just won't quit though so I can't seem to find a good reason to go and buy the newer phone and be forced into a 2gb / month internet plan. I'm hoping the galaxy note will come available on verizon (via amazon) and either i can get that or maybe I can get a used S2 and keep my internet plan.

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light This Week
26. Re: Re:Indie Rant Sep 12, 2012, 18:07 Tumbler

Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:47:
Indies need to step up a bit. I'm not going to buy another 3 or 4 Terrarias.

I think you might want to adjust your expectations. The graphical quality I think you want is likely only going to come from large publishers who can employ dozens of people to design and create content that has that high quality finish and "almost real" look to it. If you want the outstanding gameplay tied with those graphics what you are asking for is the big publishers to step up their game.

The indies are firing on all cylindars. It's the big boys that are seeing how low they can push the bar and still milk you dry.

22. Re: Re:Indie Rant Sep 12, 2012, 17:24 Tumbler

They raised a buttload of money and added some background animated art, some more ships, UI tweaks but I don't understand where all the money went (unless it went to Steam and servers for distribution.

PA just posted an article that goes into some detail on that:

PA Article

Basically:

“With the additional funds we were able to greatly expand the sound and music design, hire a writer to flesh out the aliens and atmosphere, and run a very successful beta.”

Ben Prunty, the game’s composer and sound designer, was able to quit his job in order to devote more time to the game. The game’s soundtrack is now on sale via Bandcamp.

The music in this is exceptional. For some reason I never get tired of hearing it but the first time I played the game I just figured, meh, it's ok. Then after 30 hours I realized how much I was enjoying it. Sounds are also awesome. It's a fantastic well rounded product in my opinion.

I'd love for them to add crew member sound effects. Like screams of FIRE!! HULL BREACH! WEAPONS ARE OUT! Walter just got smashed by a rock monster!

9. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 12, 2012, 16:32 Tumbler

BUY THIS.

Steam tells me I've racked up 43 hours in this game since getting into the beta. It's amazingly fun.

The game is fairly simple to get started but there is tremendous depth. You start with a basic set of weapons, shields and crew and learn to manage your little ship. Missiles punch through shields, lasers have to drop shields before doing damage, then things go nuts. You jump into the next start system and some preying mantis' transport onto your ship and run around killing your crew. They fight at double h2h strength so your best bet to run the fuck away from them.

About this time you'll hopefully notice the little doors everywhere. Guess what happens when you open them all and those little bastards are stuck in an airless room! Muahahha, crap they just chased you into the next room! Hopefully you'll realize you have medical facilities and fighting in there is your best bet. But oh shit, you have your entire crew trying to fight these bugs and no one is piloting the ship! The enemy ship is pummeling you with weapons and a fire just broke out in the engine room!

AHHH AHHH, BOOM! Mother2#$@#$@5#.

Lets try that again. 10 min later, MOTEHR@ #$@#$@#$, stupid rock men are immune to fire, they can literally light my ship on fire and walk around laughing at me as I hide in my med bay!

Again, doing better this time, I'll just head for the exit...oh god @#$@#$, this route doesn't lead to the exit, I'll just go back and...dammit trapped by rebel forces...BOOM!

This is the mother fucking Kobayashi maru. Try playing on normal. I play on easy almost exclusively because I still can't beat the end guy.

Oh and I haven't even touch on cloaking devices, upgrades systems and subsystems, beam weapons, bombs, hull missiles, drones, evasion, teleporters, modules like long range sensors....my god. Get ready because it is a fucking great ride to learn all the details that game lets you jump into.

Protip: Upgrade your doors, that looks like a stupid thing to upgrade when you start playing but look who's laughing when those stupid mantis show up and get trapped in a room you are venting out to space! Pro-Pro tip, do not do this on the Rock ship, you will understand why once you use it.

News Comments > BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage
21. Re: BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage Sep 11, 2012, 16:45 Tumbler

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 10:48:
"Hey what you doing tomorrow? Wanna take pictures of Greek military bases right when they have the biggest crisis in the history of the nation?"

I'm confused. What is the crisis in greece that warrants them freaking out about pictures of their military bases? Is the population attacking these installations on a routine basis? Last I heard the currency was in trouble but what exactly would be the point of being so secretive about your military bases...you can't exactly pay for a standing army with promises.

Greece worried about invasion from their neighbors?

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC Pricing
17. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 14:57 Tumbler

Because the code to unlock it is included in the box with all preorders and, most likely, all initial shipments, and also likely, all shipments ever.

If that is the case, code comes with all copies ever, I will withdraw my complaint about the whole issue. I suppose it could be clever marketing to simply not discuss that someone can still get the extra content buying the game a week later.

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC Pricing
13. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 14:13 Tumbler

You mean the DLC included in your preorder?

Included is a funny word to use. I didn't receive it when I pre-ordered, I won't receive it when the game is delivered but I should get it without paying additional funds when it's released. (about 5 weeks from now)

I think you're missing my point. The way they are advertising this seems to suggest that it's sitting there on the shelf ready to go. (and I believe it is) It's clearly holding content back from people who don't pre-order and I just find the whole thing disappointing.

This isn't unique to them but it's altogether disturbing that we're at a point where publishers can literally hold content hostage if you don't pre-order. For $40 and because it's borderlands 2 and because the advertising and footage shown so far has been spot on for what I'd want, I pre-ordered. But I can think of no other game that this whole dog and pony show would work on me....hmmm maybe prey 2. Assuming the above were true about Prey 2 I might go along with the whole pre-order or you get screwed approach.

Generally speaking this tactic is like a hammer and nail to my wallet. I have a tough time believing that this isn't going to cause significant harm to gross sales of the industry. If this was a $60 item I'd be happily sitting on the sideline waiting for a sale or for a used purchase at the right price.

Edit: Ooo Planetary Annihilation is getting some awesome incentives if we reach higher goals! Hmm I'll just up my $15 pledge to ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. HAPPILY. Because they don't act like a bunch of fucking dicks.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3: Armored Kill
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Sep 11, 2012, 12:44 Tumbler

Meh, the trailer looked very interesting but then I have all those memories of what playing BF3 is really like. I think if they'd gone and modded all the maps to be big so the experience could be consistent across a dozen maps I'd be more inclined to give them a 2nd chance.  

5982 Comments. 300 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo