Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6077 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Monthly Report
13. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:46 Tumbler

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:55:
I play/played A LOT of sims for a long time, but if you cant just instantly get a feel for the ships out of the box there's a problem. And there is a big problem with these, its like flying a 747 on ice-its all over the place! By contrast you jump into Elite Dangerous and you instantly get the 'oh I know this!!' feeling..its intuitive. I dont get what crap they say about the FCS or whatever it is. And thats just the start of the problems. Their ships are fantastically modeled & detailed, but man..they are trying to do so much too quickly and getting splintered. Unless they do something to fix the basic feel of the ships and the combat I cant see myself going back to it even though Im a backer. ED has all my attention

I do as well and many sims don't feel right until you properly config the controls to your tastes. The DCS sims are a perfect example. Trying to hover a helo in that using a joystick that isn't tweaked properly is kind of hilarious. Most joysticks are slightly different in how they report movement and if the engine is watching closely every single nudge adjustment you make does something.

In the case of Star Citizen it seems to be ignoring way to much on larger joysticks using in Hotas setups. The joystick reading seems appropriate for thumb sticks on my game pad but when I tried to use a CH fighterstick it was a complete joke because I'd have to make enormous moves to get the nose to make small adjustments.

I finally went and learned how to config that stick outside of the game and messed with the thresholds so that small movements were major shifts which is how sims should fly. (for me) The game was much more pleasant but I am holding off playing until that is in game because they do a whole host of stupid shit like mapping yaw to your rudder instead of the stick. Mapping throttle to my stick instead of leaving on the keyboard. On the Keyboard the up and down straffing are mapped to fucking E and Q. W & S are mapped to forward and back....who the fuck cares about straffing forward and back!? The shots are still going to hit you.... Being able to tweak all those things in game will make the game feel a lot better.

I think it's 90% control config issues. There may not be that much to do once you have the control issues out of the way, blowing up 3 ships is in a small deathmatch map or two is going to get old so hopefully they'll have a new map and some new ships to add this month.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 13:52.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Monthly Report
7. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 12:49 Tumbler

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:45:
They are in deep trouble. They said yes to way too many goofy requests and didn't focus on the core gameplay (Dogfighting) hence why it sucks balls. Now they have to make good on it all and the result is gonna be a weird awkward mish mash of game types and mechanics, none of which will gel together. Im predicting there will be a huge re-focusing once they figure out it cant be done in a human timeframe. Fan boys will cry and probably commit hari kiri.

I think the mistake they made about 6 months ago was trying to deliver more content after the delay initially. The DFM was originally supposed to just be the Hornet to start. If they'd focused only on that ship I think we'd be seeing a much better launch of the DFM. (now called arena commander)

At pax east they told us about all the other stuff that will be in AC and it seems like another game tacked onto the development entirely. This may end up being smart because it gives them something the public can play but so far they're struggling to deliver the initial 3 ships in a way that most people will see as fun. Whenever the key binding / control config patch comes I hope that will help a lot of people enjoy the game.

It's pretty absurd that you need to setup detailed custom controls outside of the game that can be programmed to a joystick / hotas setup. The controller config isn't bad but without sensitivity settings it's pretty hard to use effectively. The Mouse and Keyboard controls can be used ok if you can adjust to them. The virtual joystick is clunky thanx to this little zone in the middle of the screen where your ship stops responding and you're supposed to use this area to aim. Problem is once you hit the edge of this imaginary circle the ship starts to turn. Making minor changes becomes very difficult doing it this way. You can change the mouse control mode to direct using Ctrl F but I don't like that.

I'm very pleased with the game in general at this stage, with a few control config menu's and them opening up MP to a lot more people I think it's going to be a lot more fun.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer
6. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer Jun 27, 2014, 16:48 Tumbler

Looks pretty. Hard to get excited after the last few 40k titles. I think this was all CGI stuff? The game might look that good but who knows what the "game" part will do to that look.

It would be fucking awesome is they scrubbed any HUD elements in favor of a little voice that gave you reports. Contact to your right. Low Ammo. And the interface would be just looking into the game.

Maybe something like Dead Space, some menu's might be nice.

I want everything to take advantage of the OC DK 2!

News Comments > DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora Preorders
1. Re: DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora Preorders Jun 26, 2014, 18:37 Tumbler

Ooo, crossing my fingers for a 4th of July sale. Last year they did that, I think, and I picked up basically everything!

Got my Oculous Rift Dev Kit 2 on order but that shouldn't be showing up until august.

Hopefully the Oculous rift will work well with this!

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $47M
2. Re: Star Citizen Passes $47M Jun 23, 2014, 22:32 Tumbler

Woohoo!

I have to say it's classic Chris when he says:

"I’m not comfortable promising additional features with each million unless they’re truly additive. When we have a new idea that really impacts the final game and needs the funding then we’ll offer it here… but you can expect a number of player rewards and new ways of highlighting Arena Commander as immediate goals!"

And then the next goal is a space plant!!!

Maybe he meant after 50 million.

And I bought that Xi-An scout ship because it's awesome! I mean it was only $150...how could I not buy it!

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
41. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 16:04 Tumbler

I understand what you're saying, but I think you'll find that this won't handle like other games. Your yaw turn speed will be slower in turn rate and slower in reaction time due to the way they are modeling individual thrusters and a ship's true (and dynamic) center of gravity.

If they change this in the future that would be interesting but as it is right now it's not hard to use yaw to track your target. The only difficulty seems to be using straff to the left or right in glide mode. When you do that it's a very big shift in perspective and will be very difficult to aim with. However when you straff up or down there is almost no change.

It would seem that once you're in guns range you should click over to glide mode, use the stick to pitch and yaw to track your target and then staff up and down to avoid incoming fire. Course correction, turning, just doesn't seem important. You can tap glide mode on and on once the enemy is dead or out of range. Or tap it on and off if you want to bump yourself toward them.

37. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 15:11 Tumbler

Strango wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 14:48:

In case you missed it in the article there is an entire section on Yaw vs Roll where they explain why it is setup this way. The quick summary of it is roll allows you to turn harder due to more thrusters being utilized and that hard non-banked turns will stress the ship and possibly cause damage due to the horizontal G force.

That sounds great on paper but in a dogfight the faster you can get your target under your cross hairs the more you're going to win the fight. My opponent may be able to turn faster by rolling and turning but I'm going to get my reticle on target sooner because I can yaw left and right and that is all that matters.

Using roll in combat will just get you killed. We're not going to be doing any turn fighting in this game ala WW2, it's going to be all about getting your reticle on target and the fastest way to do that is to have yaw and pitch on the stick.

26. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 13:50 Tumbler

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:30:
Question I was accepted into the Dogfighting Beta, but have never purchased anything from them. To participate do I need to purchase a ship and the Dog Fighting Arena?

Yes you need at least one ship to play AC. Technically you need at least a ship "package" which is normally the Ship, a hangar, and either alpha or beta access. If you login to the website and to to "my hangar" it will show you what ships you own.

If you don't own anything at this point I'm confused why you got invited, maybe you can go walk around in the hangar? It's possible they will give you access to an Aurora even if you don't own one right now because there are plenty of ships that aren't in the game and they default to one of the three available ships. I don't own a 300i or Hornet specifically but I get both those ships currently because I own others like them which are not available.

It might be simplest to go here, it has a checklist of things you need before you download the installer.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

24. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 13:43 Tumbler

Jivaro wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:37:
I am not a CR fanboy who would pay money for an autographed piece of used toilet paper

IT'S A TOWEL YOU MONSTER!

19. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 12:57 Tumbler

Frijoles wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 09:58:
As much as I can appreciate them going for realism-ish controls, I couldn't fly worth a damn. Hope it can be changed in single-player at least. Or maybe I'll just be Crew Member #5 on board the big ships.

That is normal with extreme manuevering, the thrusters are fighting to get the ship moving in the right direction while also trying to point you where you want to be. Using smaller inputs will minimize this effect which is what the IFCS should be doing automatically for everyone. I think they were just too ambitious with how little assistance they thought players would need.

It's setup how a sim jockey would want it where you're going to naturally expect to use smaller movements by default and almost never go to extremes. Bone headed decision in my opinion, the flight computer on default should be designed with a [-moron noob at the stick. Those WW2 fighters we're trying to mimic would stall even at high speed if you yanked the stick back, small inputs were the way to fly. But you put someone on a Extreme 3d Pro and they are going to push that thing full left when they want to turn left, no one uses tiny controlled inputs when they first start. It's a learned skill.

What makes this even more hilarious, they IFCS is setup for hardcore simmers, is the default left right on the stick is Roll, not yaw. In space combat you need to have yaw there, roll is close to worthless...no idea why they thought people would be using roll. Maybe they thought the simmers would want to get blown up a lot and take FOREVER to get kills.

5. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 10:18 Tumbler

TL:DR
There may be no problem with the flight model itself, the problem is likely the flight controls, aka the flight computer that is supposed to be assisting you.

They simulate empty space physics. I think all the fuss over how difficult the ships are to control has nothing to do with the flight engine / model. It's the controls that need addressing.

The IFCS in particular, the flight computer that moves the ship based on your inputs, is way too aggressive in how it turns when you have all the safeties on. I think when people have full computer assist on they want the ship to respond something like a plane does in normal flight. Instead the spaceship slides all over space and jukes and jerks when you make hard turns as it tries to correct your direction. With full safeties the IFCS should be limiting your inputs so you don't slide more than a little bit. That means when the player pushes hard right the ifcs may only try and turn you at 20% max rate. As you drop power it will turn your faster as it takes less energy to redirect you.

There is a safety called Comstab and if you turn that off then you should slide around just like everyone does right now. That feature is supposed to minimize your sliding but it does a pretty shitty job right now.

GSafe is the other safety which to me is useless unless they make the gsafe turning much slower than it is now. I don't notice any major difference in my turning when it on or off. With it off I start getting red outs and black outs so I just leave it on. I hope they will limit gsafe turning significantly so there is a reason to use this feature.

Coupled / Decoupled mode is the other major IFCS feature but it's just a glide mode toggle. The way they set the system up so you can only straff when in glide mode I think will be fixed eventually because I know everyone wants to be able to use thrusters to slide around in normal flight and right now you can only do that in glide mode. Currently I don't think many use the straff features in combat because they aren't mapped in a useful way. On a gamepad for example you pilot the ship with the left stick and you move your head around with the right stick. (you don't use the right stick very often) When you want to slide you press the left stick. (glide mode) When you want to straff you hold down the left trigger (in glide mode) and use the left stick...but that takes away your ability to pilot the ship!? It goes something like this, you are going head on with your target, you throw your nose off center, tap left stick to enter glide mode, use left stick to stay on target, fire with the right trigger, then you're supposed to hold the left trigger to straff around using the left stick while using the right stick to keep your guns on target?! Who the fuck thought of that?! It's a lot more practical to just keep your nose pointed at the enemy because they move a lot. In pvp this might change but for now I think straffing is useless unless we can map it differently. (right stick for controllers) Holding left trigger should give me head tracking in that case.

They need to let us config all the controls. It's hard to say if the flight model has issues when we can't even use all the functions on our ship is an efficient way.

I've been trying to wait it out but I'm about to go build an xml files for my CH Fighterstick because I'm sick of waiting for them to let me do it in game.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 10:26.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 14:01 Tumbler

Ugh, how many parts are in this series? And how are we back at part 1?

I think these are all the parts:

Damsel in Distress: Part 1 - Tropes vs Women in Video Games
Damsel in Distress: Part 2 - Tropes vs Women in Video Games
Damsel in Distress: Part 3 - Tropes vs Women in Video Games
The Legend of the Last Princess - Hypothetical game concept
Ms. Male Character - Tropes vs Women in Video Games
Women as Background Decoration: Part 1 - Tropes vs Women in Vide...

And I think there are two other video's in production:
"The Fighting Fuck Toy" and "Women as Reward"

This is like a meeting that won't end. I'm impressed her video's end up with a million hits each so I guess it's smart to keep making them financially...but holy crap. How have we not reached the end of this series?!

Googling how much money you get for a million views....and I have not idea. Could be a few thousand each video so if so that seems like a good enough reason to keep making them. Good for her on that front. Creating youtube videos seems like a fun job. As for the content, not my thing.

News Comments > BF Early Access Possible
5. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 10:32 Tumbler

You already release games in early access so naming them such is a step in the right direction...

All I can hope for is that preorders for hard-line are brutal and post launch, assuming the is any good, then sales start picking up.

Normally I'd jump on a beta for anything Battlefield but Fuck these guys. Fuck them until post launch half off sales.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
34. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 09:16 Tumbler

It would be crazy to stop offering stretch goals. The goals are currently in game items like a scanner kit and engine tuner. Things I would assume cost very little credits and take almost no time to make internally.  

News Comments > Dreadnought Announced
12. Re: Dreadnought Announced Jun 10, 2014, 16:51 Tumbler

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 15:39:
Looked like MechWarrior Online in space ships

I keep meaning to watch some Mechwarrior Online in it's current form since it seems to something a lot of people dislike...but someone is playing it. So...firing up twitch.tv.

Hunh, seems fine. With all the chatter about 3rd person mode and how it ruined the game I assumed players would be playing in 3rd person but the guy on twitch I saw stuck with first person. Can't get past the look of it, seems dated but maybe the twitch stream is not a good representation. No interest in playing it. Coming from WoT and War Thunder it just doesn't look good enough.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2014, 17:07.

News Comments > Dreadnought Announced
9. Re: Dreadnought Announced Jun 10, 2014, 14:08 Tumbler

Woohoo!!! Spaceship!!!!  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Closed Beta Instant Access Now
6. Re: Battlefield Hardline Closed Beta Instant Access Now Jun 9, 2014, 16:43 Tumbler

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 16:14:
PCGamer preview with some video if anyone interested.
It looks like a re skinned BF4

I watched "gameplay" of a guy walking around an empty map and it looked like a mod for BF4. It might be fun but I thought BF4 might be fun too... So I'm ok with waiting until after launch on this one. If it comes out at the end of Oct then it should be on clearance on black friday as each game has been for the past 3 iterations.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $45M
15. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 8, 2014, 15:55 Tumbler

verybad1 wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 14:36:
Not gonna buy early. But SC does have a lot of cool videos.

I think you'll have to eat those words by the end of the year! (I'm assuming the dfm will be v2 by then, support buying a small selection of parts to use in mp and there will be a way to earn ships in game and there will be about a dozen ships playable!)

4. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 8, 2014, 14:24 Tumbler

Task wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 14:00:
for all these flight or space sims coming out I can't decide which joystick to get:

Either an X-55 or a Warthog. I've had terrible luck with Saitek's joysticks, i think I had to replace an X-52 like 2 or 3 times, it was ridiculous.

The Warthog seems to have no complaints. The X55 and X52 both have some hit or miss stuff. (production related stuff, cheaper materials, some work great, some don't, etc) The X65 seems solid but is out of production I believe plus the stuck is a pressure sensitive which might not be what some want.

I think right now I'd go for the X52 if you don't want to spend more than $150 or so, it's had longer to work out issues. The X52 pro is hard to find but I think most people love that one. The X55 seems like it needs to work out it's manufactoring issues. Amazon Reviews

1. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 8, 2014, 13:24 Tumbler

They've really hit this week out of the park in my book. The DFM launch wasn't too great but the addition of new ships into our hangars is pretty awesome if only temporary. (The TNGS finalists were in our hangars for us to explore around in game) Then the freelancer variants plus brochure and in engine ships if you want to buy them.

As more console commands come out that allow us to tweak the controls a bit the DFM is becoming a lot more fun. For now I'm working with a controller but I expect they'll have some very detailed joystick files available inside a week. We're already seeing the more popular stuff like the Warthog, X52 and X55. Hopefully the CH Fighterstick and eventually full customization support inside the game.

Really great end to a troubled week. Plus avenger is coming in the very near future to DFM! (Hopefully, it was mentioned in the manual)

6077 Comments. 304 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo