Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6050 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild Apr 11, 2013, 14:32 Tumbler

I kept getting killed, wasn't much fun

This was my first impression as well. A few things to note if you want to try again. The list of tanks as you're loading into the game, that is an extremely important list. That tells you how powerful each of those enemies is and gives you a relative guide as to how effective you'll be in the match.

When I first started I just tryed to play each match as if my tank determined how I'd play. If you're on the top of that list then go for it, you're the most powerful tank, you can probably best a lot of other tanks. If you're in the middle or at the bottom be prepared to use terrain a lot and do your best to hide and wait for enemies to come to you.

The second thing to understand is spotting. A lot of higher tier tanks can see far enough away that you won't see them. This is often because they have closer tanks radio'ng your position back to the larger tanks and artillery. Find a nice tree or bush to sit behind and wait. You see someone coming over a ridge you'll likely see him but he won't see you. Depending on how far away you are you can shoot at him and he still won't see you.

But once he does see you (typically you'll know when the turret points right at you) that means the whole team can see you and you have to move. Sitting still makes you an easy target for long range tanks and artillery. If you're spotted in the open you are in a lot of trouble because there is nowhere to hide. Ideally if you are spotted behind cover back up and keep moving until they lose sight of you. Typically 5 seconds. In most cases you'll lose sight of them at the same time. You'll want to stop to shoot more often than not but you need to find positions where it's "safe" to do that. Stopping and lining up a perfect shot won't mean much if artillery is already in the air.

I'd read up on the spotting mechanics because they're very important to understand.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild
7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild Apr 11, 2013, 13:41 Tumbler

I dropped a fair amount of money into this game when it launched, maybe $40? That sounds about right, by that point I realized that the game was only fun for me when I was spending money. The unlock system they put in place made you play for an obscene amount of time to unlock new weapons and upgrades that were very useful. You could unlock tiny things like better scopes after playing for 20-30 min on average, but my issue was it cost a huge chunk of game currency to get those scopes and saving them up to just buy the next weapon was a far better plan. It ended up feeling like this never ending grind to get really basic crap.

Spending money unlocked all kinds of cool stuff and once I found HE rounds for both tanks I was earning 100's of certs an hour. Even at this rate it still felt like you barely made any progress. Worse still the gameplay became predictable. You'd spend 10-15 min spawning and traveling to a spot where the fight was. You could air drop into a battle but why no just shoot yourself in the head, that is more fun. You need to come into a battle heavy unless you just want to be points for someone else.

I got pretty good with the tanks, upgraded zoom capability and HE rounds just massacre infantry. The problem was even when you were excelling int he game and earning all kinds of stuff there was just no end to all the upgrades you'd need to open up different gameplay methods.

I haven't played the game in months, can't seem to stop playing World of Tanks. That game is fucking great. It's a grind for sure but the matches are fast and intense. It's never the same repeated battle, one minute you're dominating and the next minute someone is dropping artillery on you that blows your tank up in one shot.

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
20. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 11:20 Tumbler

Woohoo! Can't wait! Shadow Run Returns!  

News Comments > SimCity Cheetah Speed Returns
2. Re: SimCity Cheetah Speed Returns Apr 9, 2013, 22:12 Tumbler

This game sailed right off the edge of the world.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
28. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2013, 13:15 Tumbler

Passing on the nexgen consoles seems easy so far. I am hoping the games won't change that. In the end if the consoles are going to treat you similar to how pc game companies treat you, criminal!, you have to authenticate, used games are the devil!, buying games for the PC is going to be a far better deal considering how amazingly cheap they become through services like steam and GMG. Plus mods. Tryed the CoH2 beta at a friends house the other day...then I played the CoH mod eastern front. I don't know how they managed to fuck that up so bad but playing the original game just feels better.

PC has more options for games, lower prices on games, same restrictions, higher prices on hardware. Overall I think the pc is going to be the preferred gamer platform judging by what the consoles are aiming for.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Mar 29, 2013, 16:26 Tumbler

Yes, because I want to pay for stuff I will lose. Yeah.

There is some wisdom to this idea. If you offered a more powerful gun or ammo or something, if that didn't ever expire or go away the game would essentially be handicapped for people without this stuff.

World of Tanks does this pretty well. You can buy premium tanks which have their own pros and cons but the ammo you get "Free" is not the strongest you can have. You normally have to spend gold to get the best ammo and using it is permanent, if you buy 50 rounds, after those 50 shots you're back to standard ammo.

I've noticed you can spend credits on them now but that might be a perk of premium that I hadn't noticed till now.

There are also lots of boosters you can use for one battle each time, they cost gold, give you an advantage but don't last more than one battle/use.

The premium tanks stay with you forever though. You just repair them as normal after they get blown up.

Eve Online also has a lot of permanent loss stuff going. There are definitely people ok with "paying" for stuff they'll lose. I guess it's like Gambling, you're risking your stuff and that gives some people a rush when they play.

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
77. Re: Jay Wilson: Auction Houses Mar 29, 2013, 16:17 Tumbler

How about just dropping loot designed for my character only. It's so much fun to get something awesome for a Barbarian when I'm a wizard. Who wants to just equip something like that and keep playing when you can start a three DAY auction to get gold then spend that gold on something that takes another three DAYS.

The game would probably be a lot of fun if the loot drops were designed to be fun playing solo. They're a complete joke. The claim that they didn't alter the drop rates to feed the auction house is rage worthy. The "game" is the auction house, the stuff you do in game is more a of a mini game to get items to trade on the auction house.

It would be unwise for them to ship the console version with the same drop rates they have now. They can make the game a lot of fun if this just quit trying to push everyone into the auction house.

News Comments > SimCity 2.0 Plans
3. Re: SimCity 2.0 Plans Mar 28, 2013, 22:26 Tumbler

The list of thing they are trying to fix is pathetic. When I saw 2.0 I figured they were bringing in larger cities... Ha!  

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Mar 28, 2013, 13:31 Tumbler

The most interesting thing to me about Sim City is how well EA completely fucked everyone. All I heard prior to launch, from people playing the 1 hour demo and the press who had longer game play sessions, was that it was fun. Everyone was looking forward to playing more.

I didn't start hearing people complain about the limitations on city size and how easy it is to max a city out until just about launch time. At that point it was hard to pay attention to the few people worried about that.

During launch I don't remember there even being a lot of talk about the actual game because nothing worked well. Then after a week the tidal wave of comments on the actual gameplay started coming out and all the trouble people were dealing with to have those online features like sharing with other cities and working together was not worth it. Then the whole traffic issues, fire and police getting stuck.

Man, whoever did the marketing for Sim City better be getting paid a shit load because he fucking rocks. How he/she managed to hide those flaws so perfectly prior to launch is impressive.

Don't buy launch games from EA. It's a terrible idea to do that.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC
62. Re: Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC Mar 27, 2013, 17:42 Tumbler

Seems like the same pitch we got for BF3. No Thanx.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
17. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 13:54 Tumbler

I'll wait. But I tend to do that. For example, I finally just bought Dishonored, only after it went on sale recently on GameFly for $23.99.

I'm waiting on dishonored as well. Am hoping for a price below $20...but I still haven't finished Far Cry 3 yet...need to do that.

News Comments > BioWare's New IP
15. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 13:49 Tumbler

Maxis and Bioware are the Cory Haim and Cory Feldman of the game industry. Remember how great we were? Yeah, look at what we're making now! It's awesome!

*Feeling like a total dick now, what did the Cory's ever do to me? They're probably nice guys, they don't deserve this...

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
14. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 13:22 Tumbler

Meh, I'm still going to wait. Sim City has a bunch of 90 reviews from the Press before it shipped.

I have to wonder how much getting these games Free can fog the vision of reviewers. I know when I "bought" diablo 3 with credits and such, didn't spend any money on it, I wasn't that upset with how things turned out.

Other games that I've paid for, if those don't feel worth it, that is a totally different experience. That is a "You deserve to go out of business for taking my money in exchange for this trash you good for nothing bag of shit."*

I doubt reviewers ever get to experience that rage since most everything they play is either a business expense (at best) or just a free copy sent by the publishers.

I trust buyers like myself as far as game feedback. I want to see people who've paid that $60 price come out and talk positively about a game before I bother looking at it.

*Examples
Bought Swtor $60 - Meh, too bad it wasn't better.
Bought Diablo 3 $0 - Really disappointing game, but meh, $0.
Bought ME3 $60 - You should go out of business.

I think if you're going to charge someone $60 the game better deliver. If it doesn't you've made an enemy for life...or until your next game is balls to the wall awesome and somehow balances out the giant mountain of ship you created. (this never happens, companies never recover from this in my experience, once they go down hill they snowball)

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2013, 13:36.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Teaser Trailer
11. Re: Battlefield 4 Teaser Trailer Mar 21, 2013, 14:26 Tumbler

Wouldn't it be nice if they built this game around 64 player battles on big maps with all the toys on every map?

Sigh. More likely some maps will take place on a boat and be close quarters shooty maps.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
24. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 12:42 Tumbler

I think it's great that Garriot's game has crossed it's mark on Kickstarter. I'm not going to back it myself, never was a big fan of his stuff, but love seeing games get made that fans actually want.  

News Comments > John Riccitiello Leaving EA
25. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 18, 2013, 17:38 Tumbler

Meh, I'd be excited but I have a tough time believing that the culture inside this company is going to change.

Exploit your consumers, Exploit exploit exploit!

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World Expansion This Summer
3. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World Expansion This Summer Mar 15, 2013, 09:49 Tumbler

I still play this game often. Steam says I've logged over 300 hours! Can't wait to get this new expansion. Lately I've been kicking up the difficulty and starting at later times so I can get some fierce naval and air battles going. But holy cheating mother fucker, the ai at king+ is a bastard.  

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
21. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 10:08 Tumbler

Hopefully someone can put out a simple to install mod that just rips this game free of the online mode and lets people just have fun. Quadrupling the size of the city space would be nice too.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 15:37 Tumbler

I may have to give this a try when I get...wait a second, I bought a gaming laptop for "work"! It's sitting right here!  

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 14:43 Tumbler

Does the game work at this point? I don't hear the same kinds of complaints from random threads so my impression is that people are playing the game and it's "working" but I get the impression very few have anything great to say about the experience.

Anyone have comments on playing the game?

I've purchased Tropico 4, Anno 2070 and Sim City 4 Deluxe for a total of $36 so far. EA definitely got me to spend money, playing Sim City sounds fun but not the one they offer.

The cities need to be at least 4x larger than they are now, and ideally those huge regions that have 16 plots, that whole area should be only divided into 4 spots, that amount of area would be fun to make a city on.

These little postage stamp cities are ridiculous.

6050 Comments. 303 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo