Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6070 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Announced
9. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Announced May 1, 2013, 16:01 Tumbler

Crossing my fingers that Respawns new IP steals the show and mocks Infinity Ward. Probably too much to hope for considering they're basically starting over.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 21:37 Tumbler

Illumiroom looks interesting but seems like more trouble than its worth. A projector on your coffee table? Didn't we just throw out coffee tables so we can use kinect?

Oculus rift looks world's better than this.

News Comments > Respawn's Debut an MS Console Exclusive?
7. Re: Respawn's Debut an MS Console Exclusive? Apr 29, 2013, 21:14 Tumbler

would prefer not to need a console to play the game. Oh well guess I'll have to play other games.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 29, 2013, 16:29 Tumbler

Snark aside, the Littoral Combat Ship program is actually an attempt to SAVE money.

Which is probably why we heard about it in the first place. Hey guys, this fucking bill over here is going to cost us money! Call our reps, we gotta get everyone mad about this bill. Tell em it's wasteful spending, we don't need more ships and they're going to spend a lot of money on ships! It'll cost us a few million to get some representation on our side but we're going to miss out on 10x that over the next 10 years if that bill passes!

Tonight on Hannity! The Navy is wasting your tax dollars! They're going to go build ships we don't need! We need to cut spending, we need to lower taxes! Government spending is always wrong!

Meanwhile back in Navy headquarters. Sorry Tim, you're plan to build destroyers that will cost 1/2 as much to operate each year was shot down as being too expensive. We're going to retrofit older destroyers so they are heavier, use more fuel and cost far more to maintain instead. We're not made of money here you know. Can't be buying fancy new ships whenever we want you know. Why don't you go take the day off, we're paying some contractors to paint the ship, gotta make due with what we got.

News Comments > Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars Funded
1. Re: Infinite Space 3: Sea of Stars Funded Apr 29, 2013, 12:57 Tumbler

...wait, isn't this a game that came out on steam recently?

*Checking* Ah, no I'm confusing this with Endless Space.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Metro: Last Light
5. Re: Gone Gold - Metro: Last Light Apr 25, 2013, 12:47 Tumbler

High hopes!

*Checks price* $50? Hmm, well maybe when it's half off. Anyone see any deals?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2013, 17:25 Tumbler

Iphone screens look comically small. My wife has an iphone for work and we both have Galaxy S3's, my god that thing is nice to look at. The iphone? hahahah.

Keep it up Apple, I'm sure no one minds.

In fairness the size of the phone for the Galaxy S3 makes it harder to do things one handed. On my old phone, droid incredible, the size was great for operating the thing one handed. Trying to use the S3 one handed is kind of a joke but I can't say I want to go back to the smaller screens. I'm glad I didn't move up to the Samsung Note though, was considering buying that but after adjusting to the size of the S3 I'm glad I didn't.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game Apr 23, 2013, 22:38 Tumbler

I was excited to see the star ship combat... Then I watched some of it on YouTube. It's an on rails turret sequence. Great job on the trailers guys, the space combat looked nothing like that.  

News Comments > "Strong Possibility" Relic to Make Dawn of War 3
9. Re: Apr 23, 2013, 13:02 Tumbler

Based on how CoH2 is looking I'm going to put this on my "not going to be good" list. I think they're going to continue on the path of DoW2 based on what I'm seeing in CoH2 and that is unfortunate.

I think they're missing a lot of opportunities to sell content by structuring their games the way they are. In CoH2 the color of your vehicles can be set by you but only after you unlock those colors. Based on what I've seen in the beta it seems they will be offering a tiny bit of content to unlock and then selling most of it as micro transactions. And there doesn't appear to be that much in the first place.

I think this is lazy. They should have offered a lot of customization options at the start, more than seem to be in the game, and then worked on making more after launch that could be sold.

How fucking hard is it to make custom tank skins? I would guess a modder could make dozens in the space of an hour. I think it'd be great to be able to customize the look of your army for all the units, not just the vehicles. You should be able to customize your army leader too

They did something like this in DoW2, you could change the colors which was nice but all this extra stuff you unlock as you play you couldn't pick and choose what you wanted. It was simply forced upon you.

CoH2 should have been an evolution of this idea but instead it's just a half assed lazy patch where you can pick tank colors. You should be able to build a commander and pick the powers/weapons/tanks. All the commanders you pick should give your army a unique look, including one you build. Why isn't there a unit on the field that represents your commander?

Going back to DoW2, what they should be aiming for in DoW3 is allowing users to purchase custom commander units and elite units that change the apprearance of your army in the game. Each army in 40k has very unique features. I played Blood Angels and while you could adjust the colors of your army to look like Blood Angels you never got your custom commander. (Dante) Or you custom Psycher (Mephiston). Each army had several unique commanders and high level characters. Even the units had more specific designs. Devastator squads for blood angels had blue helmets. Death Company was painted mostly black with red highlights. (assault squad basically) Dark Angels were green but their terminator squads were bone colored and known as Death Wing.

All these additions could be accomplished with cosmetic upgrades, the units could fight identically to other squads but their appearances would be different.

If that is what they were aiming for in CoH2 I'd be excited. Sadly it seems like they are taking the same basic idea of DoW2 and just wrapping it onto CoH2. Cept you can't change your army colors. (uniforms) And there is no commander unit even though you have to pick someone. How fucking cool would it be if choosing hte commander had a unit come out onto the field that you had to protect. If you wanted to use his powers you needed to have him nearby? If he's killed you have to bring in another commander and start over?

Bah, so much potential and they show up with none of it.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 17:05 Tumbler

I just finished Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained about a month ago! Fantastic books! They reminded me of the complexity of the game of thrones books. The author likes to just throw you into the deep end and see how long it takes you to learn to swim.

I felt like the author was fucking with me for half the book and at that point things finally started moving forward.

Amazing universe he manages to build and a believable future. It's equal to Dune (the first book) but delivers more. Dune is tragically short. There are 6 books but the first one is unique. The remaining books don't have the same intensity. I made it to the end of book 4 (dune) and quit. Bored as hell.

I passed on Misspent Youth. Are the follow up books after those two any good? (Void Trilogy)

Reading House of Suns atm, that is kind of dragging, need to finish it and move on.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention Pushing Ice. I really enjoyed that one, it's the same author as House of Suns, Alastair Reynolds. Highly recommend Pushing Ice.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
10. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:50 Tumbler

Downward trend? The only game that company has ever made that wasn't mediocre to the extreme was borderlands.

They seem to do ok with "Borderlands" titled games but both of the other ventures (DNF and Aliens) seem to have been industry collapsing black holes of suck.

At least when epic goes off the "Gears" franchise they don't cause immense discussion on how corrupt the gaming industry is.

Hey Gearbox, can you please give that franchise to someone else? It's for your own good.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
2. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:42 Tumbler

Seems like an ok place to land. Wait...I'm thinking of Epic. Ah fuck. Gearbox seems on a downward trend.  

News Comments > World of Tanks Security "Event"
4. Re: World of Tanks Security Apr 22, 2013, 13:24 Tumbler

If it makes you feel better that is kind of you how feel even if you pay from time to time and are a higher tier.

The matches you're placed in will almost always be versus a wide variety of tanks. Typically a 3 tier stretch is common. (6,7,8 or 3,4,5 or 1,2,3) That initial loading screen gives you a rough report of how good your tank is versus others. If you're at the top you should do well, if you're at the bottom then job number one is don't get shot, stay in cover, play it safe, assume you're going to get massacred.

I'm at tier 7 atm, most of my tanks are tier 6, I've got a tier 7 and I'm speeding through that tank to get to tier 8. (I'm gunning for an IS-3)

More than likely the tanks that are besting you are benefiting more from highly trained crews than they are gold. I hadn't realized until recently that once you're crews hit 100% they get another secondary skill to start improving on. Some of the items you can put on your tank, faster reload, faster aiming, can make a huge difference as well.

The grind can be brutal though, if you never buy any gold and so don't get that xp boost from having a premium acct from time to time then I find that the grind is extremely tedious. I really like how you can buy a premium acct by the day if you want to, 250 gold I believe. That is $1.25. To me playing a lot for a day or two and earning lots of xp is more enjoyable than playing more matches each earning less xp.

Gold is almost required to advance past tier 7 though, the amount of xp you need to buy the tanks let alone the equipment to make them good is ridiculous to consider earning with a free account.

But it's not quite what you think, the gold isn't to buy ammo, it's to convert XP from other tanks. Something I didn't realize about WoT is that they built it so you'd play all the classes at once. You can play with one tank the whole time but that becomes very annoying. Once you research everything a particular tank has to offer it becomes "elite". This means that any xp you earn can be used to convert to "free xp" which can be used on any tank.

In practice this means you'll have a better time if you have a tank in each class or at least several tanks maxed out. Don't sell your old tanks, fully research the one you like and keep using them. Then when you jump into the game you'll have 4 or 5 tanks that all earn double xp on that first battle.

The hook is that converting xp costs gold. So if each of your elite tanks has 1000xp sitting in there you can convert that all to free xp for a fee in gold. (it's very affortable in my experience, I want to say 400 is to convert 10k experience?)

I don't know if you can tell but I like this game.

News Comments > Firefall Open Beta in July; Signups Begin
6. Re: Firefall Open Beta in July; Signups Begin Apr 18, 2013, 13:15 Tumbler

All I know about firefall is that they spent a shitload of money at some trade shows. I remember hearing people gawk at how large and impossible to miss their booth was. Couldn't tell you a fucking thing about what the game is and I'm pretty sure I'm in a...beta?

It's third person...I think? And you run through a city or something, then they give you some MMO like mission to go kill some weird looking bugs...I think you have a gun...I...I'm not even sure what hte point of playing it is so I haven't been back after the first try.

So...hopefully they can work on telling people about WTF this game is.

News Comments > Leviathan: Warships Jazzy Trailer
8. Re: Leviathan: Warships Jazzy Trailer Apr 17, 2013, 23:34 Tumbler

Well that looks awesome, $9.99 on amazon!? SOLD.  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Apr 16, 2013, 15:10 Tumbler

It's a bit harsh to put Ubisoft in that list. AC3 may have been filled with tedious side-tasks, but the main quest line was still good, and it was a really fun game for the first 30 or so hours. Far Cry 3 is kind of similar, really cool at first, gets repetitious, but is still a great game. That Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon looks like a fun little budget game.

Compared to the likes of EA, Activision and MS, Ubisoft is Looking Glass reborn.

Creston

Agreed, Ubisoft doesn't belong on the list. Despite Uplay getting a lot of shit from gamers the titles they are putting out are diverse and highly entertaining. Loved Far Cry 3, preordered Blood dragon (ME!?), traded for AC3 code, bought Anno 2070 ($16 amazon). I'm not going to pre-order it but Assassin's creed black flag looks like a lot of fun. By far the sailing stuff in Ac3 was the most impressive stuff. Build a pirate adventure game around that and I'm fucking sold. Call it assassin's creed pirate adventure and I'm nervous...

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Apr 16, 2013, 13:53 Tumbler

Kotaku is right. The big publishers, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, MS, Sony, all kind of suck at creating art. (Maybe it's better to think of most of what they make as entertainment, they suck at making entertainment that people think is worth $60. I think most people end up feeling like they wasted a little bit of that $60 when buying games. AC3 for $60 certainly didn't leave people happy and content) If you look at what the movie industry creates and how careful they are to keep the money from having creative control over projects I think you can see what things are so screwy at the big publishers.

There is no respect for talent in the game industry. They don't see the skills people bring to the table as valuable, they're just expensive. Cut them and get less expensive people so we can make more profitable games.

I feel like this is going to be a self correcting problem very quickly. People wondering if we're seeing a large crash in the gaming industry will likely have more to talk about in 2 or 3 years as the budgets needed to produce a AAA title on nex gen's are going to be higher and if they think they can continue to crank out shittier titles and see them sell they have a rude awakening coming.

I don't think we're going to see a crash, we're going to see massive amounts of money shift to spaces that are putting our more creative products. Mobile, Kickstarter, Indie PC games, Ouya. All of those are lower cost, lower risk purchases for the consumer. (the content) AAA games either need to get a lot better or they need to cut prices in a major way.

All I see them trying to do is force people into higher prices. We're going to cut content and sell it as DLC, we're going to have online access codes, season pass's, all that crap doesn't make your game worth more money. Over and over again the industry has shown that quality is going down with these changes.

Don't buy AAA games at launch. It's that simple. I think gamers are learning that lesson every day and once we hit the point where a majority of gamers stick to that the industry will change in a big way.

I don't think the publishers will change, I think they'll just make fewer games, more expensive games in big franchises. If the new consoles can offer digital distribution that small developers can take advantage of we could see a ton of smaller more interesting games flood the market which again just ends up killing business for the big boys. Happy Action Theater / Kinect Party is a very impressive little game, only costs a few bucks, and is probably more value than you'll get out of a lot of other games that start at $60. I know I play 70 hours of FTL at least according to Steam, I paid $10 for that. I think I paid $15 for Shadowrun and that looks like something I'm going to enjoy. I paid $5 for torchlight, loved that game. Paid $5 for bastion, didn't care for it, but excited to see Transister because I don't feel ripped off.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2013, 13:58.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection
16. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection Apr 15, 2013, 19:26 Tumbler

Company of Heroes shipped with 2 factions, the others came in expansion packs. They will likely follow the same approach here.

I think this glosses over a pretty major short coming. This game shipping with 2 factions is like Starcraft 2 shipping with only the Terrans. CoH has been 4 factions for a long time and considering that CoH2 is basically teh same game as before the only side that needs balancing is Soviet...so wtf are we starting with 2 factions for again? Did DoW2 only ship with Space Marines and Orks?

I assume those armies will be added in via expansions but considering what they're putting into this $60 package there seems to be some major content missing to compensate for gutting those other 2 armies from the game.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection
14. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection Apr 15, 2013, 18:02 Tumbler

Either way, it's more than worth it. We've had a lot of really good matches so far. I think the extra dev time they've had with it internally during the THQ sale and SEGA being brought up to speed has really helped things a lot.

I'm confused why the game is shipping with the Germans and Soviets as the only two armies. There were already 4 armies in CoH and you could add to this and make it 5 armies but shipping with two armies rubs me the wrong way. For the campaigns it's fine to only offer German and Soviet but in MP why not let players pick whatever side they want to be, historical accuracy be damned.

The generals and "army customizer" seem ill conceived as well. At first glance it looks like you'll be able to build your own armies in a sense, create a custom general who plays how you like.

No, you can pick from 1 of 5 generals (likely more coming) and they enable units/abilites in the same way doctrines did in the first game. The customization is choosing summer / winter paint jobs for your vehicles. I'm level 10 and I've unlocked a winter paint job for light tanks and a summer paint job for my med tanks. This doesn't feel like a custom army at all. Maybe they'll be offering dozens of paint schemes on release and I'm just over reacting but I doubt it.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
34. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 22:15 Tumbler

I need to put a ring on that girl because I love kickstarter!  

6070 Comments. 304 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo