Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6163 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 3
2. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 13:00 Tumbler

What does that even mean "changing settings"?

Oh, I get it. This must have linked to the Bahama's trip they planned as an April's fools joke.

Very confused when I clicked the link. ...this is the March Monthly update, what is the changing settings about? *search for "settings", nothing comes up.

Really liking the look of the HUD and that shot of the Hornet with armor is awesome. Ooooo my desktop background rotation just brought up the new HUD!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
45. Re: Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 17:42 Tumbler

Comet wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 15:54:
I read some of the posts and I don't understand the negativism towards Star Citizen or Chris Roberts.

I think it has a lot to do with the complexity of what he wants to do.

The timeline that was originally laid out was nothing short of insane. The game they want to make is going to take between 3-4 years at a fully staffed dev studio that already works well together. (IE had a large catalog of games under their belt.)

Since it's an Online world that they want to create and let players have experiences in day in and day out the work load to bring that into reality is immense and we've seen dozens of company's do it. most fail, some fail and survive, and a few flourish.

The project is supposed to be a full fledge SP campaign ala wing commander games with the same scale and scope of a AAA action game. Like Crysis for example. That is normally a 2 year dev cycle at least. They also want to build a MMO hybrid online world. Doing both of those things inside 2 years was crazy. When 2012 ended and the real work began they had maybe 12 million? Not a lot, that is a year's budget for many large devs.

This put a lot of people on the defensive that this project was not able to reach it's goal. The thing people are still adjusting to is the increased funding the project got in 2013. All from fans. They ended 2013 with approx 38 million in total funds gathered. But they missed their target release for the dogfighting module. (we're hoping that is in 2 weeks or at least this month)

The way they got most of that 38 million was selling spaceships. Most of these ships don't exist in any real way. They are concept art. Some of them are ships you can walk around in with the Hangar module. (demo of your hangar with ships in it) These ships ranged in price from $30 - $1000+ and people were lining up to get the highest price ships.

That is bizarre to even me. The most I spent on a single ship was $250 but that came with a shit load of extra stuff, like a collectors edition of a game normally does. I spend $100 on a cutlass and eventually another $60 on an avenger. I also bought an Aurora just because. ($40) I've bought plenty of phyiscal stuff as well, shirts, mouse pads, a hoodie, and I have a subcription which kicks in $10 a month. I think the slow bleed over time has enabled them to get a lot more money out of fans than anyone expected. All along the way they've been improving their communication, they have a youtube show that airs each week, they have a star ship design compeition which airs each week and we have a special 10 min clip of CR himself answering questions.

It's easy to see why all this looks crazy from the outside but being on the inside it's one of the most exciting experiences I've ever been a part of.

I just spend more than $1000 on upgrading my pc finally, dragged my feet on that long as I dared. Still need a good joystick...won't I be pissed if the DFM sucks? Well...no. I'll have is this awesome gaming pc plus all the amazing memories so far! Truth be told if the game ends up sucking I can't say I regret any of this. It's more fun to dream and hope for this than stick with the AAA titles coming from the major players.

You can get involved for very little money, I think it's $35 to buy the starter ship and that also gets you into alpha / beta stuff so you'll have stuff to play very soon.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
29. Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:05 Tumbler

I'm not to worried about someone wanting to buy CIG at this point. They haven't delivered anything solid that show's their worth a ton of money. Even if someone wanted to buy them just to get access to the crowd funding dollars they'd have to buy in lower than the amount they expect to get back and even then it wouldn't make sense for CR to sell for less money than he has in capital already.

So if someone wanted to legitimately buy CIG at this point they'd be gambling on the company succeeding in even more unprecedented ways. For example, someone gets a look at the dogfighter alpha / module and thinks to themselves "This is going to be huge, they're going to quadruple their donations when this drops!" They might come up with a figure of 100 million to buy the project and run with it going forward then the dfm drops and funding goes crazy, now they have 150 million in cash, unspent. Theoretically that person could focus on keep that money and just building the game as it was intended before.

But all that could turn on a dime. If the crowd gets spooked because someone just bought them they may not spend as much money. The product could not be successful enough to have a lot more money come in, the final product could be less than expected and you'd end up with a game that costs a lot to maintain but doesn't create much revenue.

It's just too risky to buy into a company like CIG right now. The people in CIG are probably on cloud 9 because they have enough capital to operate and improve the game for a while going forward and if they do deliver something amazing then a larger company might throw them offers to get them under their umbrella.

So if Squadron 42 comes out and it takes the industry by storm then I'll get worried. That kind of thing doesn't get ignored. But if it remains some what nitch as it is now I think we'll be ok.

Dice with Battlefield 1942 comes to mind. EA snapped them up right before BF2 shipped if I recall correctly. They released BF1942 in 2002 and before BF2 shipped in 2004 EA bought them prior to bf2 shipping. BF2 launched in 2005.

So if Dice delivers on this game then maybe a year or two later when they're talking about making a new Squadron 42 campaign or after the MMO world is about to get a major expansion big entities like EA / Ubi / Acti might look at them. Buying them now would be an enormous gamble in my opinion. (but who knows what they would show someone like that internally)

It's possible the game will be amazing but the pc hardware needed to run it will be keep it nitch for a few more years while the market catches up to them.

I've started buying new pc parts this week to get ready for the dogfighter...$1000 gone pretty fucking quick.

i5 4670k ($210)
Asus Hero IV MB ($200)
8 GB Ram (2400) ($90)
Corsair 850RM ($158)
Case ($140) CL-70 Military green (I splurged a bit here)
GTX 760x ($250)
Water Cooler ($57)

Still need some HDD, some SSD's, windows license...

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced
4. Re: Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced Mar 29, 2014, 18:41 Tumbler

So now there will be a US army, 2 german armies and a soviet army? I'm guessing the next pack will be a us army and a british army?

Meh, I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy on 99gamers. None currently available so maybe the summer steam sale will change that.

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
25. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 16:45 Tumbler

I had a DevKit 2 on order and so far it's still on order. All I can do is hope that things look better. It could get better or it could get worse...and it sucks to wait and see.  

News Comments > World of Tanks Visual Improvements Planned
1. Re: World of Tanks Visual Improvements Planned Mar 21, 2014, 22:21 Tumbler

I'm very excited about these changes. The new way buildings collapse in particular is going to be fun. Shooting canisters and misc things on the hull of hte tanks should be fun as well.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 21, 2014, 20:42 Tumbler

$450 is a pretty amazing price for a Titanfall bundle Xbox One. At that price I think they'll sell a ton of systems and MS would be smart to sell both console bundles (forza 5 / Titanfall) at $450.

Hard to believe this isn't planned. Xbox One didn't fly off the shelf with TitanFall, 360 version delayed, perfect time for a price drop and poof, it's there.

Didn't buy at $500? How about $450? BTW 360 version is delayed 3 more weeks. But you can play it today...just buy this xbox one, we really want you to buy this one....not the 360 one, Xbox One. Buy it. Buy it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 19, 2014, 16:53 Tumbler

Heh, my first thought regarding Titanfall is that MS isn't happy with the sales of Xbox One consoles thus far.

I would love to hear a post mortem on how everything went regarding exclusivity to Xbox for this round. I imagine they were high on life up to a month ahead of when MS started shooting themselves in the foot.

What is funding of TitanFall 2 going to be? All EA funded? Is MS going to try and hold this as an exclusive? Will Sony bid to rip it out of MS's inventory and make it exclusive to PS4...

Holy shit, can you imagine the Xbox One's future if Sony / Respawn / EA announced TitanFall 2 was coming exclusively to PS4? No idea if Sony can invest the kind of Capital it would take considering the game is almost certainly going to be Multi Plat for TitanFall 2. I don't see how Xbox will be able to justify spending the money to keep it exclusive if it fails to meet expectations.

My hunch is that it's going to fail to meet expectations simply because the Xbox One's attach rate isn't there. Second Son seems to be the test for PS4.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 18, 2014, 17:21 Tumbler

Heh, I found this comment interesting:

In Monday’s press release, the US Attorney’s Office also offered this warning, which should be obvious to anyone by now: “Computer users should cover their webcams when they are not in use.”

This used to be something everyone used as an example of people being way too paranoid. Now it's just...obvious you should do it?

Luckily my laptop lid stays mostly closed as I use the HDMI out most of the time.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Closed
35. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 16:25 Tumbler

Good riddance.  

News Comments > Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed
8. Re: Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed Mar 12, 2014, 17:20 Tumbler

Seems to be a smooth launch overall, kudos to all involved on that front. I'm surprised.

This makes me assume this game isn't that intense on the server side as far as bandwidth and power needed to run matches.

News Comments > WildStar in June
11. Re: WildStar in June Mar 12, 2014, 16:09 Tumbler

That release date makes me feel sorry for the devs of this game.

The Queue is full of epic looking games right now and for the next 3 months and at the end of that you're going to release a Subscription based MMO that has had so little marketing it's not even on Amazon yet.

I guess it's basically a soft release if they start letting people into the beta who pre-order's now so anything is possible!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 9, 2014, 19:59 Tumbler

Dak Souls III?

MUST be an indie early access title trying to fool ppl wanting dark souls II!

(my spell checker had a fucking seizure trying to get exactly that spelling in there)

News Comments > DICE: No Damage from BF4 Launch; New Patch; Carrier Assault Details
11. Re: DICE: No Damage from BF4 Launch; New Patch; Carrier Assault Details Mar 7, 2014, 11:25 Tumbler

I loaded up BF3 a bit before BF4 arrived and was surprised how well it ran at that point. I assumed that BF4 would be very similar with a few more things happening on the maps.

That is why I bought into BF4 plus premium before launch. I got some discounts through GMG which was nice but I wish I'd waited until launch and played it a few days after release. Those first few days were a joke but I might have thought of that as opening day server load. A week later when the same shit was happening I just gave up to play something that didn't crash every 2 seconds. Like X-Rebirth! ....fuck.

Don't pre-order anything from these guys. Buy it at full retail on origin a bit after release so you can return within 24 hours if it sucks. This is assuming player feedback isn't giving you all the info you need before that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 7, 2014, 01:50 Tumbler

Interesting read. This part jumped out at me:

Money and time weren't a concern for production in the first few years.

That makes sense because Infinite felt like a game where they spent way too much time on art and set pieces and very little time on how the game plays. The gameplay ends up feeling tacked on, there are so many amazing cinematic moments all through the game and then they throw in these weird shooting areas for a few min then it's back to the good stuff!

I remember so many things in that game but it's all set pieces and cinematic moments. The gameplay was forgettable.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 16:00 Tumbler

Finally got around to playing the game this morning. It's finally fun. With maybe an hour of game time I'd picked up at least 5 things that were better than the stuff I had.

That's what was missing from the initial game. You'd play for hours and be lucky to find one thing worth putting on. Then you needed to spend another hour going to the auction house and finding the loot you wanted. Fucking miserable experience.

News Comments > World of Tanks Video Diary
2. Re: World of Tanks Video Diary Mar 5, 2014, 21:28 Tumbler

This sounds awesome. I've gotten back into this game recently and these changes sound awesome.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support
9. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 10:31 Tumbler

I want to buy a 1080p rift but who knows when that will be out. Really tempting to buy a dev kit model now rather than wait.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Titanfall
33. Re: Gone Gold - Titanfall Feb 27, 2014, 14:37 Tumbler

It's priced too high but I only paid $40 for it which is more in line what it should be without there being a single player campaign. It's going to be bundled for free with xbox one's starting next month so I suspect EA will go after mass number of units sold and discount it heavily on the PC.

I expect it will be discounted at least that low, $40, in the first month. BF4 released at the end of October and I think it hit $35 before black friday and was $25 on black friday or something crazy like that? That game had it's problems so maybe we won't see a big drop as fast on this one but it's crazy how fast stuff goes down in price these days. You don't even have to be patient, just be busy. I have so many games to play...I need to start hiring people to play my games...that's how many unplayed games I have. My average experience in a game today is to install it. Steam makes that easy so I install a lot of games. I might even boot it up just to get those preliminary drivers loaded. I haven't even touched broken age yet. It's installed though! I installed the SHIT out of that thing!

News Comments > Gone Gold - Titanfall
23. Re: Gone Gold - Titanfall Feb 27, 2014, 13:12 Tumbler

I'm interested to see what other stuff there is in the full game. I'd heard someone say there are turrets and I've seen things on the map that look like that. I assume it's part of a game mode that shoots at the capital ships so while the demo didn't push me to buy I'm interested to try the full product.

I think I'll be testing out that 24 hour return policy on Origin in a few weeks.

6163 Comments. 309 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo