Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6096 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
57. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 11, 2014, 22:40 Tumbler

I think it looks great, can't wait to play it! I'm not sure why so many think this thing looks unacceptable for this point in development. Giantbomb was discussing a presentation they were in looking at Batman Arkham knight a week or so back where the game ran like complete shit and crashed repeatedly during the presentation. That game comes out in Oct of this year. Star Citizen doesn't come out this year so it seems like they're doing just fine.

Games run like shit a lot during development apparently.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
28. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 16:15 Tumbler

I'm looking forward to trying this when I can get in at $60, I think that is one of the future beta stages but I must say it's getting really frustrating to see the price tags still so high after so many iterations of the alpha / beta. I think this is stage 4 now, Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Beta and this is Beta 2? You have to protect the people who invested early I get that, but I would recommend others wanting to do something like this have the price point a bit more reasonable by this point in development.

It's having the opposite effect on me. I'm finding my desire to spend even $60 is falling.

DFM Announcement reveal tonight! CIG has been working up to an announcement tonight at 6pm PST that will "reveal". I hope to be a happy Star Citizen tonight and hopefully dog fighting by this weekend! (might be more like next week)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 9, 2014, 15:53 Tumbler

Last of us didn't click for me on the PS3. I'd be interested to try it on the PS4. I'd hope they could tweak the gameplay a tiny bit because that seemed a little tedious to me. I got tired of playing the "game" part of it after a few hours and just went and watched the youtube mashup of all the cut scenes.

I guess I ended up missing a lot of important moments in the game because everytime I hear people explaining what they loved so much about the game it sounds like little bits of voice acting and stuff they saw during the "game" and not so much the moments in the cut scenes.

Hopefully it will be something I can see on the ps4 if the game feels better.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 7, 2014, 13:03 Tumbler

Hunh, I watched Game of Thrones last night on HBO go with no issues. Pleasantly surprised.

Fucking awesome start. The prince of Dorn, one of my favorite characters. I remember that scene at the end of the first episode from the books, how they manage to capture the intensity and tone of the books so perfectly is amazing. And oh ma god, that sweet satisfaction of seeing ...secret Aria slowly drive those swords into those sons of bitches...oh god MOAR!

I cringe at what that means for the Red Viper. Fuckin RR Martin....bastard. At least the Mountain died a horrible agonizing death. You Raped her, You murdered her, you murdered her children. double checks secret codes...

News Comments > On ESO Charges
18. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 Tumbler

Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

Most banks leave that on there for three frikkin days.

Most places also only charge you $1.00 to see if the card is legit. I updated my info on Itunes so that I could buy FTL over the weekend. and it showed a $1 charge on my card then a $9.99 charge. I assume the $1 charge will come off in a day or two.

In the case of an MMO I don't think I've ever had them run the card before the game time is up. Maybe they do and I've never noticed.

It seems pretty unnecessary when you consider having a legit game key already cost the player $60 and access to your account will be restricted if the CC info isn't correct. It might be a passive aggressive move against players who likely only want to play for that first month? (but that makes little to no sense unless they're complete idiots....and they did make Elder Scrolls Online...a game NO ONE wanted...so....)

It's hard to believe there is some arterial motive behind this. More likely someone type 15 in the auth check field when they should have typed 1.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
53. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 22:21 Tumbler

The giantbomb quicklook was pretty interesting. I think I watched them play for an hour. Impressive how much they got it to look like Skyrim. Didn't expect that.

I'll just load up skyrim and mod it to hell and back if I want to play I suppose.

The problem is that Skyrim, to me, is a better game. As good a job as they did making this like skyrim, it's glaringly obvious that it's not as good. The giantbomb playthrough showed them getting a horse toward the end of one video. The prices started at 17,000 gold for the lowest tier horse and many were 42k or 45k. In the hour or so I'd been watching they had collected about 400 gold. Lucky for them they had the fancy imperial version which comes with a horse. That was one gold.

So it's like Skrim, just more expensive, and takes longer to play. (in a bad way)

So I'm good with old Skyrim.

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month
3. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month Apr 4, 2014, 21:42 Tumbler

Very happy with how this turned out. Looks awesome! Excited to play.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 19:20 Tumbler

Spent 2 hours on it. It's not bad for $10. It's easy to play with kids running around because each match ends very quickly.

You get more control of the units as you get further in the game. The assault troops for example allow you to use jump jets to jump across lanes but only after u get that upgrade. In the beginning they are just a melee unit that moves forward a little quicker.

The standard marine can fire at adjacent lanes which is their "thing". You get grenades for them as well and a charge ability that lets you stun other units. (usually melee)

I upgraded to the dreadnaught early but it doesn't stay very long, it seems to have a certain amount of energy and when you use it all it just shuts down and drops into the floor.

Terminators are dlc which sucks. For the marines you can deploy tactical marines, assault, and devestator. You can also get bikes, dreadnaughts and a variety of other hq powers. There are also 2 other campaigns to purchase as dlc which look like ork campaigns.

I'm guessing they'll add in all the other marine chapters (at least the majors) and maybe some additional races.

I haven't been able to find a MP game yet...prob not a great sign.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 10:50 Tumbler

Hunh, I was a little interested in this before watching this youtube clip. It's the Ipad version but I doubt the pc version is a lot different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZH87pWXgSA

I was hoping it would be something like hearthstone where you go head to head against another human but this is all AI?

Researching...oh wait, no it is multipayer. Cross platform even! Plus the pc version mentions they just added dreadnaughts and stormboyz! Sold.

This seems like a game I can squeeze in with 10 min like Hearthstone.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 16:38 Tumbler

The game works ok now but I struggle to have any fun when I play. Loaded it up the other night to try this mode and it doesn't change much. Doesn't feel like titan mode in 2142 to me. It plays like the conquer mode where you take the check points but instead of a number ticking down it's a picture of your carrier. When that runs out the carrier is breached. You can parachute down over the carrier at that point but it's not a very interesting thing to fight over.

I remember Titan mode in 2142 has AA guns, you had to fly a drop ship over, there were crazy fire fights. This feels tacked on. The carrier feels open and empty in most places. It doesn't feel like a carrier or even a large naval ship when you're inside. The geometry is extremely simple. Large box like open areas, long square corridor. It's dull and empty.

I'll give it another shot but so far pretty lame. It's what you'd expect from a studio that doesn't care about this franchise anymore. All the dlc's been shit in my opinion. The core maps are decent but everything beyond that lacks that same quality.

My gut is saying that as soon as DICE got that Battlefront licensed deal they just said, "Fuck BF4, everyone start working on this. Put a bow on it and ship it, that thing is done."

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 3
9. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 16:10 Tumbler

panbient wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 15:48:
That ship looks really nice too, but tell me, when's the last time you were able to pay attention to the intricate details of a ship model in the middle of a dogfight? Why does it need a fine print warning to not step on the flap? What are the developers actually focused on? Making it work? Or making it look really pretty? Makes for great PR material though...

I think they are putting in all that extra work because a major part of the game will be spent walking around. Landing on a planet for example will start with you sitting in your ship then getting out and walking away from it so in those environments they want to make the ships look as detailed as possible.

During fights though most of what we're going to be seeing are various LOD models. (level of detail...I think that is how it works) so all that up close stuff won't help on other ships but when you go third person you'll see those little things.

I think it's all about going the extra mile and doing things to a higher standard than we've seen before. The visuals they're aiming for are likely going to cause a lot of people to need better hardware to play the game properly. I wouldn't be surprised if many people come to this game very late in the game because their pc budgets didn't allow an upgrade at this time.

As for $40 being a lot of money, in that case I would probably skip or not be so into star citizen because it's a beast. The visuals they want to create are likely going to require sli setups to experience properly. I'm buying my pc components fully expecting to need to buy another video card and possibly upgrade the one I have as well. I'm hoping a 760 will be ok and I can add a second 760 later but I wouldnt be surprised if I need 770's...or god forbid 780's.

They seem hell bent on making a game that is going to just massacre the average system. I think that is fantastic as I always loved upgrading my hardware and then loading up certain games just ot see how much better they looked. In the past it was a pretty huge jump for me but lately since development moved toward the lower end specs it's not that exciting. Woohoo I can play Titanfall with better visuals...it looks so...it looks the same.

I am anxious to load up crysis 3 though, that game ran like shit unless I turned a lot of stuff down. Looking forward to seeing that.

4. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 13:24 Tumbler

panbient wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 13:10:
We really do. We're just not confident in anything that tries to promise everything (as he's done in the past). It's less about being negative and more about being realistic in regards to what's possible.

Is $45($40?) too much if the game turns out to little more than a dogfighter? Let's say it never materializes into what we'd hoped, the dogfighter happens, they add maybe a dozen ships but for whatever reason the project stalls after that, SQ42 comes out and it's pretty terrible. Very few want to play it, and CIG decides to scrap the rest of the project because there is no point in building a game people won't play. Or worse the Cryengine just can't do enough and a dogfighting sim is about all it can be.

Judging by what we're seeing now, I think that is more than reasonable for a $40 buy in. ($45 might be the price you see, I think I see slightly lower prices because I bought in early)

There isn't a lot of reason to buy in now vs when the dogfighter is out but at $40 is just seems like it's worth the risk. No?

Have you see this HUD?

This is what a hornet looks like in engine

Maybe people think of this as a more expensive game because so many have bet big but you will almost certainly get a cpu crushing, video card eating, PC loving space sim dogfighter for $40.

You can even load up a custom map and see how hte ships explode and take damage and watch the physics play out with this. (right now)

Maybe the current status of things just isn't common knowledge but I think we're well past the "$40 might be just a waste of money".

Is it a $60 game and above? Not yet. But $40? No PC gamer looking for games specifically made for the PC will be upset by that price.

Edit: I think I quoted the wrong price, $30 is what it would cost me to buy a starter account but that doesn't have alpha or beta access. $40 is what it costs me to buy an account with alpha/beta (access to content now I think) so it might be $45 for someone off the street.

$40-$45 is a point where I pause so I guess people are right to hold off until the Dogfighter comes out and possibly wait for SQ42. $30 for me is a no brainer, for whatever reason $40 is a point where I have to closely evaluate any game and $50+ is almost always, "no, I'll wait for a sale"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 13:10 Tumbler

Controversial? There only controversial because the "games industry" won't shut up about how hard it makes their marketing job. How can we sell this pile of this if you tell people it's a pile of shit!?!?! Do you know how much money we spent on this?!

It's a lot like how Gamestop suddenly became public enemy number one for a short time because the game companies decided that 2nd hand sales was why they were losing so much money. I mean just because we make a 6 hour game that has mediocre gameplay making replay a complete waste of time and charging $60 for it doesn't mean people would naturally want some of their money back and would use whatever means necessary to get it...right? I mean people love paying us $60 for the games we make! Just look at our pre-order and day one sales! The problem is gamestop bootlegging our game and selling "used" copies because none of the people we worship that pre-ordered would do that...

It's a good move to add that to the product pages. I hope they go further and add it to the lists when searching for a variety of games. Currently it's only on the individual product page but you can still see the star ratings that amazon uses in the lists.

2. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 13:00 Tumbler

What does that even mean "changing settings"?

Oh, I get it. This must have linked to the Bahama's trip they planned as an April's fools joke.

Very confused when I clicked the link. ...this is the March Monthly update, what is the changing settings about? *search for "settings", nothing comes up.

Really liking the look of the HUD and that shot of the Hornet with armor is awesome. Ooooo my desktop background rotation just brought up the new HUD!

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
45. Re: Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 17:42 Tumbler

Comet wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 15:54:
I read some of the posts and I don't understand the negativism towards Star Citizen or Chris Roberts.

I think it has a lot to do with the complexity of what he wants to do.

The timeline that was originally laid out was nothing short of insane. The game they want to make is going to take between 3-4 years at a fully staffed dev studio that already works well together. (IE had a large catalog of games under their belt.)

Since it's an Online world that they want to create and let players have experiences in day in and day out the work load to bring that into reality is immense and we've seen dozens of company's do it. most fail, some fail and survive, and a few flourish.

The project is supposed to be a full fledge SP campaign ala wing commander games with the same scale and scope of a AAA action game. Like Crysis for example. That is normally a 2 year dev cycle at least. They also want to build a MMO hybrid online world. Doing both of those things inside 2 years was crazy. When 2012 ended and the real work began they had maybe 12 million? Not a lot, that is a year's budget for many large devs.

This put a lot of people on the defensive that this project was not able to reach it's goal. The thing people are still adjusting to is the increased funding the project got in 2013. All from fans. They ended 2013 with approx 38 million in total funds gathered. But they missed their target release for the dogfighting module. (we're hoping that is in 2 weeks or at least this month)

The way they got most of that 38 million was selling spaceships. Most of these ships don't exist in any real way. They are concept art. Some of them are ships you can walk around in with the Hangar module. (demo of your hangar with ships in it) These ships ranged in price from $30 - $1000+ and people were lining up to get the highest price ships.

That is bizarre to even me. The most I spent on a single ship was $250 but that came with a shit load of extra stuff, like a collectors edition of a game normally does. I spend $100 on a cutlass and eventually another $60 on an avenger. I also bought an Aurora just because. ($40) I've bought plenty of phyiscal stuff as well, shirts, mouse pads, a hoodie, and I have a subcription which kicks in $10 a month. I think the slow bleed over time has enabled them to get a lot more money out of fans than anyone expected. All along the way they've been improving their communication, they have a youtube show that airs each week, they have a star ship design compeition which airs each week and we have a special 10 min clip of CR himself answering questions.

It's easy to see why all this looks crazy from the outside but being on the inside it's one of the most exciting experiences I've ever been a part of.

I just spend more than $1000 on upgrading my pc finally, dragged my feet on that long as I dared. Still need a good joystick...won't I be pissed if the DFM sucks? Well...no. I'll have is this awesome gaming pc plus all the amazing memories so far! Truth be told if the game ends up sucking I can't say I regret any of this. It's more fun to dream and hope for this than stick with the AAA titles coming from the major players.

You can get involved for very little money, I think it's $35 to buy the starter ship and that also gets you into alpha / beta stuff so you'll have stuff to play very soon.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
29. Re: Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:05 Tumbler

I'm not to worried about someone wanting to buy CIG at this point. They haven't delivered anything solid that show's their worth a ton of money. Even if someone wanted to buy them just to get access to the crowd funding dollars they'd have to buy in lower than the amount they expect to get back and even then it wouldn't make sense for CR to sell for less money than he has in capital already.

So if someone wanted to legitimately buy CIG at this point they'd be gambling on the company succeeding in even more unprecedented ways. For example, someone gets a look at the dogfighter alpha / module and thinks to themselves "This is going to be huge, they're going to quadruple their donations when this drops!" They might come up with a figure of 100 million to buy the project and run with it going forward then the dfm drops and funding goes crazy, now they have 150 million in cash, unspent. Theoretically that person could focus on keep that money and just building the game as it was intended before.

But all that could turn on a dime. If the crowd gets spooked because someone just bought them they may not spend as much money. The product could not be successful enough to have a lot more money come in, the final product could be less than expected and you'd end up with a game that costs a lot to maintain but doesn't create much revenue.

It's just too risky to buy into a company like CIG right now. The people in CIG are probably on cloud 9 because they have enough capital to operate and improve the game for a while going forward and if they do deliver something amazing then a larger company might throw them offers to get them under their umbrella.

So if Squadron 42 comes out and it takes the industry by storm then I'll get worried. That kind of thing doesn't get ignored. But if it remains some what nitch as it is now I think we'll be ok.

Dice with Battlefield 1942 comes to mind. EA snapped them up right before BF2 shipped if I recall correctly. They released BF1942 in 2002 and before BF2 shipped in 2004 EA bought them prior to bf2 shipping. BF2 launched in 2005.

So if Dice delivers on this game then maybe a year or two later when they're talking about making a new Squadron 42 campaign or after the MMO world is about to get a major expansion big entities like EA / Ubi / Acti might look at them. Buying them now would be an enormous gamble in my opinion. (but who knows what they would show someone like that internally)

It's possible the game will be amazing but the pc hardware needed to run it will be keep it nitch for a few more years while the market catches up to them.

I've started buying new pc parts this week to get ready for the dogfighter...$1000 gone pretty fucking quick.

i5 4670k ($210)
Asus Hero IV MB ($200)
8 GB Ram (2400) ($90)
Corsair 850RM ($158)
Case ($140) CL-70 Military green (I splurged a bit here)
GTX 760x ($250)
Water Cooler ($57)

Still need some HDD, some SSD's, windows license...

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced
4. Re: Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced Mar 29, 2014, 18:41 Tumbler

So now there will be a US army, 2 german armies and a soviet army? I'm guessing the next pack will be a us army and a british army?

Meh, I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy on 99gamers. None currently available so maybe the summer steam sale will change that.

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
25. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 16:45 Tumbler

I had a DevKit 2 on order and so far it's still on order. All I can do is hope that things look better. It could get better or it could get worse...and it sucks to wait and see.  

News Comments > World of Tanks Visual Improvements Planned
1. Re: World of Tanks Visual Improvements Planned Mar 21, 2014, 22:21 Tumbler

I'm very excited about these changes. The new way buildings collapse in particular is going to be fun. Shooting canisters and misc things on the hull of hte tanks should be fun as well.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 21, 2014, 20:42 Tumbler

$450 is a pretty amazing price for a Titanfall bundle Xbox One. At that price I think they'll sell a ton of systems and MS would be smart to sell both console bundles (forza 5 / Titanfall) at $450.

Hard to believe this isn't planned. Xbox One didn't fly off the shelf with TitanFall, 360 version delayed, perfect time for a price drop and poof, it's there.

Didn't buy at $500? How about $450? BTW 360 version is delayed 3 more weeks. But you can play it today...just buy this xbox one, we really want you to buy this one....not the 360 one, Xbox One. Buy it. Buy it.

6096 Comments. 305 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo