Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6268 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Evolve Hunters Next Week
12. Re: New Evolve Hunters Next Week Mar 19, 2015, 17:50 Tumbler

It's amusing to see their monetization plan roll out.

OMG we are gonna make soooo much money!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
33. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Mar 17, 2015, 15:30 Tumbler

Trevellian wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 14:27:

It's definitely not the best choice. Period. SWTOR is sadly monetized, I tried to go back once it was F2P and get back into the game, nope, impossible. Pay for features that should be in the game by default is a sad joke. Pay to hide your helm? Are you fucking kidding me? Half of my money, money I earned, was in fucking Escrow, and if wanted access to the money in Escrow I would have to pay real money to get it back.

SWTOR can go fuck itself.

That's a really odd thing to be upset about because games charging for cosmetic things has been something gamers say they want. Only charge for cosmetic things and it's fine, charge for gear and what not, then it's pay to win and terrible.

And the money earned in escrow a pretty clever idea. World of Tanks does something like this, you earn more income if you pay for a day of premium, (or a month, a year, etc) but they don't set it aside until later, if you're not premium you just don't earn it.

You're a perfect example of "can't please everyone" because you're complaints are over things that seem reasonable. Many things are a one time cost as well I think? I think the bars that you put all your powers in, you have to pay a few bucks to use more than 2 at once. Considering hte game is free to play having to spend a few bucks to add things to it seems reasonable.... If I'm enjoying a game that was free to try / play I often hit a point where I want to drop $20 or $30 bucks in just as a way to pay back the fun I've had. I often drop a few more bucks every few months to add something cosmetic if I'm still having fun.

Planetside 2 comes to mind because I had loads of fun in the beginning and was happy to spend about $40 in total to unlock a few things then work towards the rest. I didn't end up sticking with the game but I don't regret spending the money.

World of Tanks is a great example, I played that free for quite a while then I dropped a few bucks and when I go back I'm happy to put in $10 or so to get a few premium days and play a few matches. It's easy not to but I'd rather get the most bang for my time. I can often only play an hour or two a week so getting more out of those matches is definitely worth it for me.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
29. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Mar 17, 2015, 15:07 Tumbler

I'm hoping that SC launching this way, Buy to Play, no sub fees, is going to help it grow a lot.

Most of these games feel like they launch with a game very much in development with major features missing. (Swtor, STO, Conan, etc) That is ok if they aren't expecting a monthly fee at the same time.

I'd be happy to stick with many of these over months and even years if it didn't feel so insulting to be paying $15 a month for them to finish their game.

I'm willing to put up with a lot for games as a service but when they want money every month and $60 upfront they need to deliver something worth it.

If they want $40 up front and they deliver something that still needs work I can live with that, I'll login from time to time and see if the game is at a point where I want to put more time into it.

Case in point I want to buy Elite Dangerous, it's right up my alley, but it's still too expensive in my opinion. I don't think it delivers enough for a $60 price tag but I see they are adding to it all the time and either it's going to be worth $60 at some point or the price will drop and I'll be happy with it as is.

I meant to buy Guild Wars 2 when it went on sale but being a fantasy based game I'll live if I have to wait. I'm tempted to go back to STO but it's hard to get over that first impression when the game launches. It's hard to go back and give it a fair shot again.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
30. Re: removed Mar 16, 2015, 15:51 Tumbler

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 15:23:
The internet will implode when this game ships

There is no doubt that the drama will only get worse once it's released... It's come a long way and the nay sayers have only gotten louder so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they'll just stay the course and get louder once the game is released and playable.

It'll go something like this:

This game isn't worth $1000!!! Rip off of the century! We can't find anyone who spent that much and agrees with us but I'd be so mad if I paid that much for this! It's all about ME!!!! I paid $60 for this and it's a great game at that price but this is supposed to be a $1000 game! Those people got scammed! Holy shit that was AWESOM....ahem, sorry the game got me distracted, you can't afford to play this game! Sign my petition!

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
25. Re: Star Citizen Video Mar 16, 2015, 13:15 Tumbler

Can 1.1 drop already!? Still waiting for the 1.1 patch outside of the test server.

I wanna earn some REC! (REC is the secondary currency that you can rent equipment with inside arena commander)

I also need to spend some time flying all these different ships. Maybe I'll fly the M50 tonight. And the Mustang, and the Super Hornet!

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
94. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:47 Tumbler

They should have added $37+3000 for a new rig to run it. Its hideously slow even at low res its an unoptimized MESS.

It runs really well on the 970. I upgraded from SLI 760's which I thought ran it fine but I think they're shooting for needing a 970+ to get it to run well. The bulk of the game will hit in 2016 it sounds like. Plenty of stuff should be up by the end of the year but I think sometime in 2016 might be a good time to upgrade and card prices will hopefully be a lot less by then.

87. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:24 Tumbler

Are accounts transferrable? I know people have sold ships on eBay.

No, you can do a transaction outside of the site and then you can gift things to other people. So someone might use ebay to sell a ship the login to their account after payment is received and gift their ship to the person who paid them. (payment would include a user name or email probably)

I think there is a subreddit dedicated to ship sales. I've been considering buying another ship for a 2nd account that I might want to use exclusively for piracy.

86. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:19 Tumbler

Looking forward to the 1.1 patch on the normal server because it looks like they're holding off on the REC system until that patch. I've got 1.1 on the PTU but no Rec to earn.

I want to earn some weapons!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2015, 15:59 Tumbler

John Oliver's show has gotten very good very fast. I watched the first few episodes and wasn't really excited to see more. These youtube clips they put up been a ton better. The content defy's belief when you consider what congress is actually working on each day while stuff like that US territory bullshit is what they should be working on.

The police seizure laws were another great one. Youtube

Holy crap, that was 5 months ago!? Maybe the shows been good since I stopped watching it! Maybe if HBO offers a general internet subscription package I can see it more often. Cut the cord recently and couldn't be happier!

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
37. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 14:05 Tumbler

Assuming the video is a sign of what they want to build, no thank you.

I was a big fan of Descent way back when and having a fancier looking version of that game sounds boring. Flying through mines / tunnels isn't enough today and nothing about the ships is visually exciting.

It seems like they don't have a good art direction, the game looks very generic.

I think what I'd want from a "Descent" game today is a mixture of Minecraft and survival horror/monsters. It can still have a head to head action game but Descent might work as an IP if the game was about drilling into rocks where dangerous monsters were as well as rival miners that would try and kill you.

A typical match might start with 4 players a random spots around an asteroid, you start drilling into the rock and creating tunnels. There is already a tunnel inside somewhere that a huge monster inhabits. If you bust into that tunnel you're in trouble. If you bust into another players tunnel you could be in trouble. You could also connect that other players tunnel to the monster and he might never know it! At a certain point it'd be too dangerous to keep digging and it'd become an action game where you were trying to stay alive and kill the monster / other players.

You'd respawn as long as you had resources from mining. (you'd get upgrades with those resources too)

That would be awesome.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Module Nears
11. Re: Star Citizen FPS Module Nears Mar 7, 2015, 17:10 Tumbler

It sounds like a major improvement for the "flight model" this patch plus there is now a free flight multi-player mode that allows you to just fly around and land, etc. You can get out if your ship as well and swap ships! Chances are you'll be able to test fly ships with ease this way!  

News Comments > MS: No PC Xbox Gold Fees
30. Re: MS: No PC Xbox Gold Fees Mar 6, 2015, 15:55 Tumbler

I'm letting my gold sub expire this month, it came free for a year when I bought the box and apparently they've screwed up enough over the past year or so that my sub is up in March instead of Dec.

It's not worth paying for. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the fee because they gave to be expecting the subs to drop off a cliff this month.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 15:11 Tumbler

The most likely scenario I see is Barrack Obama giving him a full pardon as he leaves office. If I was Snowden I don't think I'd take the chance on anything less.

It certainly doesn't feel like his actions have led to a lot of investigations and punishment. It's almost as if the people doing all this stuff turned around and said, yeah we did it, and what are you going to do about it? ...and then nothing happened.

I saw that pic of a movie being made about him, maybe that will put things into motion. It's hard to even comprehend what is happening behind the scenes that he was trying to alert everyone to. A well made movie might be able to tie it together in a way many Americans can understand.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 28, 2015, 09:46 Tumbler

Underworld looks very shaky to me at that funding level. I was a big fan of those games but this new offering doesn't seem good enough.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Salamanders
5. Re: Ship Ahoy - Space Hulk: Ascension Salamanders Feb 24, 2015, 16:28 Tumbler

Wait, I didn't think the newer space hulk game was out yet...did I miss the release?

...searching....

Oh I see. The newer one is called Space Hulk Deathwing and looks a lot better visually. Youtube

Ascension is another release in 2014, the first was in 2013. People seem to like the 2nd release a lot better, improved visuals and it seems like the genestealers look better.

It's confusing why they call it ascension edition. It's not an edition of the space hulk game, it's a seperate game, space hulk owners don't get upgraded or anything like that...

Found this:

To cut it clear and short:

Space Hulk = a digital boardgame conversion. Dice rolls, original physical version rules and all

Space Hulk Ascension = a single player video game TBS RPG in the Space Hulk setting

Neither game replaces the other - they complement the Space Hulk experience. Some like one, some like the other and some both.

Weird, now I want that newer one...

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
116. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 23, 2015, 11:21 Tumbler

It gets more baffling by the day that people still have negative things to say about this game.

Atm it's $45 to get a jack of all trades starter ship (Aurora) or a Dogfighter starter ship (Mustang). With that purchase you get a playable game that is being updated at least monthly, new content being shown/discussed weekly, the most recent update brings the game way more into balance with ships like the mustang and Avenger dominating in pvp. (Avenger is $60, Mustang starts at $30 but I think the one owning my ass in pvp is the $90 Delta Version)

It's been a while since I purchased an in game ship but I am tempted by that mining vessel that just got introduced. The multi crew part is what makes me hesitate. I like my ships to be good for solo as well.

As far as the microtransactions / P2W / REC stuff I think it's just par for the course. We were always expecting players to be able to purchase credits in game. (limited per day I believe) The game still needs to be built so I don't think it's unreasonable to give someone a decent ship in the game if they kick in $300.

Considering everything can get blown up and it's gone for good I'm not sure what there is to complain about. A person pledging for $200+ might have a great starter ship for dogfighting but it still goes down pretty quick when it gets shot at. Even if someone has LTI (life time insurance) I don't expect that to mean they can just respawn instantly in the same area and come out in a fully armed ship while someone else can only die once then needs to work up to getting everything back.

Insurance is going to be fairly cheap so whatever the downside is for dying the only difference for a new player and an original backer with LTI is going to be a small amount of credits.

The REC stuff is meant to protect the value of pledging. They could let everyone fly any ship and use any weapon but that is a huge reason people pledge in the first place. When ships come out in Arena Commander it's an opportunity to use them now versus waiting until the full game comes out. REC keeps that in line. No one is going to be buying in at $45 and then earning rec to get all the ships that othered paid hundreds of dollars for.

It's pay to develop at this point, there is no "win" right now. Would the game be better if no one owned any ships other than the aurora / Mustang at the start of the game? Mabye, but then the game wouldn't exist or if it did some publisher would be pushing it out the door complete or not this holiday season and getting ready to build the rest of the game and call it Star Citizen 2.

This game is more fun to be a part of in development than most games are after they are complete and on store shelves. And we've seen games that offer premium high powered vehicles for sale to compete with people who earned them play the game. (world of tanks) Those premium tanks do not dominate everyone. Matchmaking puts them against similar powered enemies and at the high end the paid tanks end up a notch below what a player earning credits and xp from playing the game can get.

CIG is going to continue building newer and betters ships for the game and people will have to earn those in game. In a rather short time I'd expect that everything that was pledged for will be a notch below what you can earn in game.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2015, 11:30.

News Comments > Dying Light Tops U.S. January Sales
6. Re: Dying Light Tops U.S. January Sales Feb 14, 2015, 10:56 Tumbler

Seems like this guy and Phil Fish need to team up. That would be very entertaining.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
43. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 16:42 Tumbler

I'm not advocating against vaccination, but those people who insist they have a right to decide if their babies will be forcibly injected with drugs are the ONLY people with any sense. They absolutely MUST have the RIGHT to DECIDE. And if their concerns are addressed and questions adequately answered, they'll CHOOSE to vaccinate. i am deeply worried and embarrassed to share a species with anyone dumb enough to waive that right, or worse, advocate its elimination.

That sounds like Bullshit...so I'll do a little research...

SACRAMENTO Dr. Richard Pan, a pediatrician and Senator representing Sacramento and Senator Ben Allen, the former Board President of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District will introduce legislation that will repeal the personal belief exemption that currently allows parents to effectively opt their child out of vaccines in our schools.

Yeah, see, you're the fucking problem. You and a lot of other people hear some little snippet and rather than looking into it closer you just jump to whatever conclusion you want.

The law would change an exemption for going to public schools. Currently you have to have your kid vaccinated to go to public schools. But there are exemptions! And one of those is "Personal Belief" aka the parents don't believe in Vaccines.

They are talking about getting rid of that exemption. No one is going to force drugs into your baby. You can home school them, you can send them to a private school (although my guess is they might follow this policy soon) or whatever you want but if you want public school then you need to them vaccinated.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 12, 2015, 14:43 Tumbler

Oooo defect looks cool. Build spaceships and blow them up! I'm in! I just bought Gratuitus 2, need to try that too.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Evolve
33. Re: Ship Ahoy - Evolve Feb 10, 2015, 16:42 Tumbler

Will be interesting to see a few games on Twitch or youtube.

It seems like they're trying very hard to present it as an alien / predator esqe horror game but all I remember from the beta was it felt more like a game of chase the monster around.

There was never a chance to surprise the players and attack them, it seemed like it was all too obvious where you were. (the monster)

When they started talking about this game I figured it'd be something like a dark jungle you had to sneak around in. Like the hunters start with a pistol after having crash landed or something. They have to sneak closer to each other and find their weapons and armor. Maybe they have to cover themselves in mud to be invisible, maybe they need to sharpen spears and set traps, maybe the monster looks like a predator. Maybe they should have just made a game like what happened in predators?! Lots of hiding and sneaking around and once the humans have equipped themselves back up they can hopefully kill the monster....like a predator style annihilation of jungle with a mini gun!

I'm willing to give the game my attention for a few hours, if it's good then it's probably something I want to play...but I don't have a lot of hope.

6268 Comments. 314 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo