Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 5982 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December
21. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December Jun 24, 2011, 18:57 Tumbler

So TOR is coming in December then? Or will it be January? Dec 15th?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Has 10 Co-op Maps
1. Re: Battlefield 3 Has 10 Co-op Maps Jun 24, 2011, 16:10 Tumbler

Hmm, that sounds a lot like MW2's spec ops mode. I hope it can support more than 2 ppl. Sort of like L4d maps where 4 players could work together, it'd be cool if they made it so as many as 6 players could work together on one map. What is the max squad size going to be in the mp game? Whatever that number is I would hope they'd support that same number on these co-op maps. Would be cool to take a squad working well together and drop them into a mission like this.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Xbox 360 'about halfway through' its lifecycle Jun 24, 2011, 16:01 Tumbler

I don't think it comes down to price, it just comes down to complacency.

It's all about price to me. BF3 on consoles will likely cost me $60 and I'll get a gift card for $20. At some point I'll trade it and get a newer game, probably get $30 from it. (at least) Assuming I want another game in January I now have $50 to spend towards my next game. Should cost me about $10 out of pocket to get that second game then.

Do this on the pc and it costs me $50 for BF3, then in January when I want that 2nd game it's another $50. I spent $100 on the pc to play two games. On consoles I'll have spent $70. (save $30) So I ask myself, Is BF3 on the PC worth $80? $50 + $30. I highly doubt it. These numbers are also conservative, it costs me FAR less to get my games on consoles but this would be the experience of someone taking the easiest path.

It's possible BF3 will be worth it but I haven't seen anything to support that yet, but I am watching closely.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2011, 14:59 Tumbler

Buy Duke on Consoles, resell later if you don't like it.

Buy Duke on PC, you own it for life, Onlive is an exception.

On a console, even if the reviews are scathing and you know it's not something you want to own there is a way to buy the game and play it, or just rent it for a reasonable price. This option is not available on the pc except through onlive. Services like Steam should be able to allow players to rent games and have timed trials just like onlive offers. The PC specific software will continue to drop in gross revenue until they make it safer for consumers to spend money. The general direction of publishers with regard to pc games seems to suggest that they believe pc gamers should pay a higher price to play games on the pc, have more hoops to jump through, and have a lower quality product to boot*... I am EXTREMELY cautious before I spend money on the PC because of this.

*Generally speaking the pc versions of software will have the least polish and be missing basic features that people expect and if consumers are lucky a patch will address these after launch.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2011, 13:35 Tumbler

valve... why have you abandoned us? why!?

Money. Buying pc games is too risky. You buy something you don't like and you're fucked. You may get lucky and buy only games you love so all your money feels well spent but the way the platform in general behaves you will likely buy 3 POS products for every 1 good product. On PC's that will likely cost you $200 to get a good game. On consoles it's still probably the same ratio but the cost should be more like $70 or $80. Resale options protect the consumer. The PC platform got rid of these and consumers are fleeing to a safer place to spend money.

News Comments > Windows L.A. Noire This Fall
25. Re: Windows L.A. Noire This Fall Jun 23, 2011, 13:26 Tumbler

Yeah, the ending totally SUCKED. (not for what happened, you could see that coming a mile away, but just because of the sort of mission it was.)

Agreed. I felt like the game came unraveled at the last desk. Everything after Vice kind of sucked. I wish they'd changed the story to have the finale at the end of the vice desk instead of all the stuff that happened after that. It just didn't fit with the rest of the game. I don't think any of that is a spoiler...but just in case.

I was thinking about buying the DLC pass thing and playing through it again on the PS3 but after finishing the game I don't want to go back.

News Comments > Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus
11. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 13:13 Tumbler

I groaned when reading this thinking it was something like BF3 where content was locked behind a code. Pleasantly surprised that this is a physical map that they are talking about. This won't make me pre-order to game, you'll need to offer a $20 credit on amazon for that, but I think people already willing to spend money on your game deserve something like this...if not more. I'll give this a thumbs up for now, I like this better than the signatue edition thing with Dragon Age 2, I like the idea of people being rewarded for buying the game early on, those folks definitely deserve more from the pubs/devs for taking the risk.  

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2011, 17:57 Tumbler

Funny - I don't remember gamers (or game reviewers) harassing 3d Realms or Apogee for being "shitty people" in 1996 when the original came out. We all laughed at non-gamers with thin skins who did that.

That game was created by people who just wanted to have fun, this feels more like it was created by people who wanted to make money and took all the jokes and stupidity to the extreme.

Here is a perfect example.

Duke Nukem forever is the last guy. Funny, funny, funny, WTF!?

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Jim Rednerís Balls of Squeal. Jun 22, 2011, 16:21 Tumbler

I talked about fairness, not bias towards.

Learn the difference.

I believe the gist of your comment was:

But for the most part you're right, the world isn't fair and reviewers shouldn't just expect free copies of something everyone knows that reviewer will wipe himself with.

How does he know what he will think of a game before he gets the review copy? If these reviews had been on early builds of the game they downloaded before the release that would be unfair. They reviewed the copy that the publishers sent them...how can you get anymore fair? Maybe they should be forced to return the game after the review?

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Jim Rednerís Balls of Squeal. Jun 22, 2011, 15:33 Tumbler

No, publishers shouldn't have expectation just because they're giving someone a game to review that they get a free pass and good PR for it.

This. It astounds me that this is so common. A pub/dev will be excited to show their game to review sites while in development to get ppl excited and interested in the game. Then when the game is released and these review sites get to tear into the nuts and bolts of the game the devs/pubs feel cheated...like a douche who buys a girl dinner then gets offended that she won't put out. That game cost $60 and I gave it to you for free!!! WTF?!

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2011, 14:22 Tumbler

I'm not sure that's supportable. It's one thing to throw criticism at a game, it's another to attack people who like the game. Calling anyone who enjoyed it "sociopathic or mentally maladjusted" is, imo, completely indefensible, and has no place in a professional review.

Not that the gaming industry is the only place that happens, even Ebert did something similar in his review of the Thor movie.

This is all very familiar to me, it feels like that whole dust up around Kane and Lynch where they went ape shit over the review by...Jeff Gerstmann...hey isn't that the guy who is on Giantbomb.com now? (tap tap tap, googleing, YEP!)

Fuck 2k. Fuck Gearbox, Fuck anyone bitching about reviews. The only time we see this kind of lashing out is when a company ships an absolute shit product and spends tons of money advertising it and trying to hide it. This is all a big fucking sham, the reviews are fair, the comments are harsh and the people who are losing lots of money are trying to spin this like it's some sort of conspiracy.

Go get someone fired like we saw at gamestop. (or gamespot? who fucking care, they two should combine forces to become the ultimate fucking shithole) This will just force the trust worthy people into better places like Giantbomb.com.

News Comments > EVE Online Incarna Launches
9. Re: EVE Online Incarna Launches Jun 22, 2011, 13:42 Tumbler

EX: You could be a god at making money. Have 500 billion Isk. But you have to wait a month or more for your training to complete on that fancy new ship you could build 5 of at the drop of a hat. So what do you do for that month? Make more money you can not really use? But then again I guess this is why everyone calls this game a 'Excel MMO'.

Making money still takes a good amount of effort, if you had 500 billion isk I don't think you'd have to worry about paying for the game monthly, you can just buy lots of PLEX (monthly sub sold in game for game currency)

When last I played it cost 300 million isk which would take me about a week to earn on average but it wasn't fun. That is a week of 4 hour sessions each day when a large part of that time is spent simply moving shit around and listing it for sale and then processing minerals. I'd push it off more and more each month and then I'd have to pump in long days of running missions to earn my 300 million isk in that last month and I kept asking myself, "Why the fuck am I doing this?" It stops being fun when all you are doing is paying to do meaningless shit... Make that part of the game free. Sort of like jail? You can't leave the station, maybe can't buy / sell anything either? Just train skills? If all you're doing is logging in to change skills that part of the game needs to be free. I'd enjoy paying for this game if I felt like I was only paying when I was actually playing the game.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2011, 13:30 Tumbler

Bullshit. He was saying the reviewer made personal attacks. Commentary on the developers has no place in a game review.

Can someone list examples or link to articles that show the evidence to this? I'm not going to go around reading reviews in the first place so I still don't know what exactly the complaint is against reviewers. The way it looks to me is that the PR folks know that a "50" is a slap in the face and they are calling that an attack. The game sucks. It was reviewed by a lot of different site, 32 so far according to metacritic. If one site spews venom that doesn't make your score a 50. It's universally agreed that it's a giant POS and 50 is the average out of 32 reviews. (well not exactly...metacritic doesn't do an exact average, I'm not clear exactly how they arrive at the number they have but I rarely find that to be off the mark)

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2011, 12:46 Tumbler

Am I the only one that does not read anything to do with game reviews anymore? I watch video. Written reviews are basically a waste of my time because it's too easy to make things look good in text then when you see the full product it doesn't meet your expectations.

I'll look at the metacritic score, I'll listen to podcasts, and I'll watch gameplay clips on Gametrailers or something similar. I sometimes watch "Let's Play" video clips on youtube. In my opinion the written reviews don't compare to the experience of seeing it yourself.

News Comments > EVE Online Incarna Launches
4. Re: EVE Online Incarna Launches Jun 22, 2011, 12:10 Tumbler

Cool stuff...but they need to make someway to keep training yours skills up without paying. I don't feel like the game is worth it to pay a monthly fee when you are simply logging in to change skills. When you decide you want to try something there are often a variety of skills you'll need before you can do this and you'll have to spend a few weeks getting those in order. During that time you can run missions and earn isk which you'll need anyway but with many skills you're simply waiting to get hte most out of that so you just sit idle in a station while that training completes. Tech 2 Drones come to mind, you need an excessive amount of training to use those effectively and it's literally weeks. I ran missions a lot while those trained up but that process never ends. After getting my carrier training started I needed a handful of other skills that were going to take weeks to complete before I could hope to use hte carrier effectively. The wait is not the problem. Paying to wait is the problem. I think they should make it possible to put your pilot onto "hold" for a month or so and during that time you can not undock or pilot a ship. You're stuck in that station and you can login and train. Maybe buy/sell on the market too? This was the thing that made me cancel. I couldn't stomach the payment to sit there and switch skills for a month. Once you reach a certain point in the game training the stuff you want is going to take weeks. (for each skill)  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2011, 18:08 Tumbler

Now, while it would be cool for all of about 2 seconds, it's a GIMMICK! It wouldnt add anything to what Im already playing on PC and playing better. So that gimmick just turned into losing a whole lot more functionality.

I think it's more than that. The PC already has support for multiple monitors and that wouldn't be something I'd call a gimmick. I'm not a fan of the DS but it's success indicates that using 2 screens is more than a gimmick. I think that screen will be a lot more useful that people realize. It gives the system something that the others can't offer. Imagine in a game like Bioshock where you have to hack little computers all the time, instead of having a screen come up on the tv it just shows up on that pad. Think of Crysis 1 and that stupid wheel, maybe it would be easier to manage that on the little screen? Maybe all those weapon attachments that you could take on an off, just pop the gun up on the screen and you tap the stuff you want to change there. The screen fits too perfectly into current gameplay for it to be just a gimmick. We jump between so many menu's and screens and "mini-games" that I don't see how that screen can't help make that experience a little easier.

Look how much effort is being put into getting the interface to be nearly invisible in games now, you still need to find creative ways to communicate info to the player, this simply gives you another tool for doing that. BF3 could have no minimap on the screen, it could be on the controller.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 ‹ber Update Thursday, Free Play This Week
27. Re: Team Fortress 2 ‹ber Update Thursday, Free Play This Week Jun 21, 2011, 16:40 Tumbler

If you bought TF2 stand-alone, you paid $19.99. If you don't think you've had $20 of value out of the game over 5 years, you've got more issues than just being short of $20.

I think it was $30, no? If I remember correctly Portal and TF2 were both $30 upon release. They did go down to $20 pretty quickly but I'm almost positive I checked and saw the stand alone price as $30. I was looking because I didn't want anything besides portal and I think that is what made me pass on it. I think I rented it from gamefly. Such as awesome game. (Portal) Ep 2 was $20 seperately though...damn I am one cheap motherfucker. All those prices seem reasonable now...but who am I kidding, I bought portal 2 on ps3, used the code and traded the game! And that game is going to earn me a copy of Assassins Creed Revelations!

25. Re: Team Fortress 2 ‹ber Update Thursday, Free Play This Week Jun 21, 2011, 16:07 Tumbler

Where did you find them for $5? That game trading thing?

Yep. It's long term gains at this point, after using the site long enough I have enough games "at the ready" that I can play pretty much whatever I want. Like last night I requested F3ar and Dungeon Seige 3. I don't know if I want to play those games but if I don't request them I won't be able to play them for weeks or months. Based on the spots I got I should have no trouble getting either of those games inside a month. (or whenever I want then after that)

The key is to keep coming back each week and get a good spot in line. I could go on for hours, if you're interested in trying sign up and msg Tumbler. It's free to sign up and get in line for games.

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 ‹ber Update Thursday, Free Play This Week Jun 21, 2011, 13:40 Tumbler

What's especially amusing is that hes always bitching about how games have no value these days.

I don't think pc games have nearly enough value to justify their average price. This game is an exception but as I don't play it I could care less how much free content it gets. Wow is also a great value for the price...to an extent, but I don't want to download every update that game gets either.

For Example: Playing: Infamous 2, LA Noire, These two games were AMAZING values for $5! I think you can pick both of these up for $25 each at toys r us right now, that is still an acceptable price for these games.

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 ‹ber Update Thursday, Free Play This Week Jun 21, 2011, 13:38 Tumbler

While I do agree that the other games need some more loving, are you seriously complaining that the game you bought forever ago is still being updated and new free content is still being made almost four years later?

Yes. I don't care about this game anymore, having all these content updates is just slowing down steam when I start it. I've left it installed trying to ignore it but I think I'll be happier with it off my system. If every game in steam did the same thing it would be a nightmare starting steam everyday. There might be an auto-update option I can turn off but I'd rather just remove this game from my system.

5982 Comments. 300 pages. Viewing page 59.
< Newer [ 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo