Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6214 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Vector Thrust
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Vector Thrust Jul 3, 2015, 11:56 Tumbler

This is a weird trailer, it talks a lot about how the world is a wasteland because of war and so now everyone is turning to the sky to survive...but they're all flying combat jets. How can anyone survive flying combat jets!? They'll run out of fuel in a couple hours, they require constant maintenance and the sky isn't really a place you can live...

It's $23 so that's a plus. I would say $19.99 would have been a better price. (it's normally 24.99 and discounted currently)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
31. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jun 30, 2015, 23:15 Tumbler

The price is absurd but if people will pay it then so be it. The weirdest thing about this is I don't see how there is any hope that the mechanics for ferrying passengers around the Galaxy will be in game at launch. This seems like something that would be added in year 2 if not later.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2015, 15:24 Tumbler

It's the Bradley Fighting vehicle all over again. Watch "The Pentagon Wars" if you're unfamiliar. It's an excellent HBO movie about the creation of that thing. It's on amazon instant video too!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2015, 13:33 Tumbler

The ability of the F-35 to "dogfight" is really irrelevant, it simply isn't designed to do it. Of course it failed to keep up with an F-16, a plane that was designed to dogfight a MiG

This. Dogfighting is obsolete. It's possible a fighter will get into a dogfight but it will be an anomaly. The strategy of air power currently is to fly an enormous radar system into the air, AWACS, and then that is the only thing shooting easily visible radar. It's hundreds of miles from the front lines. The fighters go in passive, the AWACS sends them to the enemies and they pop radar on a split second before they fire. There is almost no warning and it's brutally effective.

That is why they want fighters that can't be picked up on radar. If the enemy is lucky they might spot our fighters a little earlier if they're using active radar. (it's like using a flashlight at night) They can sure as hell see our AWACS they just can't hit it and they know there are fighters between them and the AWACS.

The AWACS with a dozen F15's has been completely dominant in air engagements up to now. Add the F22 and their hope is that those fighters will be almost impossible to spot even for air defenses on the ground and the enemy will simply see their planes start exploding in the sky and bombers like the F117 and B2 mean they can also make things start exploding on the ground with very little danger from air defenses.

In order for dogfighting to start mattering again there would have to be some new technology invented that spotted aircraft reliably and neutralized the "stealth" features. Even then missiles would take out most targets long before dogfighting was possible and it'd probably be cheaper all round to just use dozens and dozens of drones. You can send drones on suicide missions as well. Sort of like a cruise missile but it can just sit up there and wait.

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
52. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 17:43 Tumbler

It does strike me as weird that he's mo-capping stuff. Shouldn't you, ya know, build the space game first? Then add the cutscenes? The space marine fps is the least interesting part of the game to me, so meh.

He's got a crazy operation going. I'm pretty sure it'll come through, eventually. I'm not hung up on delays, especially since they seem to be measured in months as opposed to years.

I think he's trying offer FPS elements and planetside elements in the SQ42 campaign. Sort of like how Halo has space flight in Halo 4 but it was primarily a FPS game? I think it's going to be the opposite of that. Mostly a space flight game with some FPS elements / missions.

Time will tell.

51. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 17:40 Tumbler

it's my understanding they have done continuous fundraising by selling capital ships for thousands of dollars at various junctions. do the purchasers not have an advantage by doing this? is that not paying to win?

The cap ship sales are rare and extremely limited. The continuous fund raising has been from a variety of smaller ships that sell anywhere from $50 to $150 on average. There are more expensive versions from time to time but that isn't where the bulk of their funding is coming from.

And as far as an advantage overall in game? Who knows. The ships don't exist yet, the game they will be in doesn't exist yet. And from what they've described it's going to take several players, at least, to properly crew a capital ship so if you're asking if a capital ship with 4 players inside it is going to be more powerful in combat than a single man fighter.....yeah. I think that is a safe bet. News flash, as a single seat fighter you probably don't want to attack capital ships that are player controlled or computer controlled. That is often not intended to be a fair fight.

43. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 16:10 Tumbler

Not sure why it takes 2 1/2 months to say this but what do I know. Delays aren't a problem for me, these guys have been through this before with AC, they planned for one release date and it seems the real date is 2-3 months later. I don't really care when the FPS module comes out.

BUT I do care when SQ42 arrives...end of this year abouts...right? *crickets*

Crap. Well, seems like the P52 is right around the corner. I can look forward to flying that around.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Patched
1. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Patched Jun 29, 2015, 15:29 Tumbler

This game is surprisingly awesome. It needs more content and it's getting it, slowly in my opinion but it's in early access so they seem to be doing things right.

This is one of the best 40k games to be released in years. Sad for the license in general but this game is a lot of fun. The combination of turn based games like xcom mixed in with chess strategies. You always have to be jumping back and forth with how you're thinking. You'd never make these moves with normal chess but doing it on this gives you a chance to throw a grenade or heal your unit. It's awesome.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 20:06 Tumbler

Drone Owner:

I'm sorry, but I must insist on full payment for equipment you damaged, as you shot it when it was above my property. The aircraft's GPS data positions it clearly above our orchard. Additionally, the hexacopter crashed next to our driveway, ~203 feet (per Google Maps) from the dirt road that separates our respective properties.

I also dispute your characterization that I was "testing surveillance equipment." There was no camera on the hexacopter, and had a camera been mounted, the price for repairs would have been an extra $300. Just as you asked me to give the courtesy of notifying you of my flying activities, I also ask you the courtesy of not shooting live ammunition in our direction. This is the third time discharge from your firearms has hit our house and property. The first incident left a bullet hole in the door by our garage. The second incident occurred last Thanksgiving when birdshot from your skeet shooting activities rained into our backyard. The third, of course, being what we're currently discussing.

I'm hoping to resolve this in a civil manner. An entirely new rig would have cost $1500. Instead, I'm just asking that you pay for what you broke. Let me know if you wish to discuss further.

Assuming this letter is accurate this neighbor sounds like a complete asshole.

The first incident left a bullet hole in the door by our garage. The second incident occurred last Thanksgiving when birdshot from your skeet shooting activities rained into our backyard. The third, of course, being what we're currently discussing.

You don't think that warrants a response? The crazy fucks can't even safely fire their weapons without hitting this guys house for gods sake. It's not hard...

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2015, 20:11.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 11:23 Tumbler

What a dick. 200ft onto your neighbors property and you take a shot at it? Hope thus guy has to do more than pay for the repairs.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
33. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 16:17 Tumbler

Hmm, I'm not sure if I got ripped off or not yet... I paid $35 for the game plus season pass off cd keys and so far I kind of hate the game. For that price though I'm kind of ok with all of this. Assuming it gets better after some patches I'd say I'm good but I'm not sure game bugs and performance are enough to make me like this game.

It looks great, and it might be the frame rate / performance that is causing it but the game feels sluggish to me. Sort of like how moving the witcher around has a delay before you start walking or turn. The problem I see is that delay seems to be everywhere in Batman. The entire game feels sluggish. Like nothing moves as fast as I think it should. It might be framerate but I don't think so...

In the end for $35 I'm able to just say, meh, that sucks.

News Comments > The Division Preorders & Beta Signups
3. Re: The Division Preorders & Beta Signups Jun 23, 2015, 14:53 Tumbler

Meh. I'll hear what people have to say about the beta and then if the release is amazing I might take a look. These guys fucked themselves on delivering this game in a timely manner. It needed to be out last christmas. The clips of gameplay they've shown seem to indicate they have made a lot of progress since we first saw it.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted
6. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 14:44 Tumbler

El Pit wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 12:38:
Dear early buyers of the core game and real fans, we want more money from you for the expansion than from the newbies. Please take this lube and bow in preparation. Thank you for your loyalty.

This is true in many other games. The long time fans and players are going to be the ones they milk the most. Destiny is doing this as well. For someone like me I paid $60 to play the game back at release and quit in about 2 weeks. I sold it and I think I got about $40? So fast forward to today, come september 15th I can buy the Legendary edition for $60 and get everything they've released plus the newest expansion. Long time players have to pay $40 at that point and might have already spent upwards of $100 to stay current with the dlc. But they do have all the amazing game time over the past year and higher level loot...so it's not like they didn't get anything out of all that money.

Playing a game like GW2 or Destiny on a regular basis is definitely putting yourself in the "milk me!" group. But without you the rest of us wouldn't have the option of buying the game and all the content they've made with the security of seeing all the player feedback of how good or bad that content is...so thanx? $60 for Legendary Destiny still sounds like too much. Maybe the expansion will change that but seems like a $40 game to me. Prove me wrong Bungie! Your game sounds like a grindy pinball game. Do the same shit over and over again that really isn't super fun to begin with...

Hopefully Destiny 2 will be open world and we can just wander around the landscapes running into cool enemies and bosses and then other groups of players might come into our fights and help us. And it will feel like this big open amazing world that we're all playing in! Aka THE ORIGINAL DESTINY PITCH!

News Comments > Batman Arkham Knight Launch Trailer
4. Re: Batman Arkham Knight Launch Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 13:45 Tumbler

Heh, I feel like I will be playing this game on borrowed time. I bought that CD Keys special of the game plus expansion thingy for $35. I plan to download the game asap and then go into offline mode! Hopefully everything will be fine but I'm going to play this as fast as I can just in case!  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 13:40 Tumbler

Why toxic ? Because systematic sales and discounts contribute with other factors (mobile stores pricing, bundles) to decrease the commonly accepted prices of games to absurdly low levels. Itís now a standard gamer behavior to wait 3 or 4 months before buying any game because you know for sure thereís a major discount coming. Itís so systematic that itís nearly stupid not to do so!

Finally someone said it! I mean come on guys. If you drop the price of stuff you're only dropping the value of your product which should stay at the original price forever. It's a digital product so it doesn't depreciate in value! There is no reason to drop the value over time. It's the same game so it should cost someone $60 1 year from now when everyone's played it and no one talks about it or even wants it anymore.

This is what killed the auto industry. Everyone could see how much money they'd save if they could just buy a year old car because the prices dropped so much. So everyone stopped buying new cars and the industry died out. Do you want that to happen to video games?!

I mean look at the music industry. When they started dropping the price of music a few weeks after release and licensing it out to internet services a few months later to play for pennies on the dollar the whole industry went under! Do you want that to happen to games?

Just think about how much more money we'll make if we all just keep the prices at the same level as release day. It's a proven economic fact that people will pay whatever the price is if they want the item. Apple proved this, wake up. And people want video games, so if you just make one you get to charge $60 for it! Don't listen to all those people who only want to pay $20 or $30, they're just trying to screw you out of money. All these people discounting the games are just ruining it for you and rewarding bad behavior!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 15:16 Tumbler

Since when is $50 for an expansion not the norm?

What?! When did $50 become normal for an expansion? I thought $40 was normal. *Doing some googling / amazoning* Hmm, I see warlords of dreadnor was $50 and now that I think about it those damned season passes for CoD and battlefield are $50...

Son of a bitch, it's common to pay $50 for expansions and season passes. Mother fucker. Hearthstone charges $25 for their expansions. Witcher charges $30 for it's expansion pass. I'll stick with those games. $50 fucking dollars. If the content actually justified that price I'd be ok with it but I've never seen a $50 expansion that was trying to actually offer $50 worth of content.

Destiny is a prime example. It's sounding like with the additional content they've added the game might be worth full retail price today. ($60) But how much does it cost to buy the game new plus pay for those expansions? $100? (I think the expansion are $20 each?)

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 13:11 Tumbler

I was curious to see how much the base game costs alone now, assumed $20, and was on sale for $10 previously. I don't see a way to buy it anymore. You either buy the expansion plus base game for $50 or nothing.

And if I'd bought the base game at $10 I would not be anxious to buy the expansion for $50 so this situation is confusing.

Considering the issue with Gems, some sort of digital currency?, it seems more like people were buying alt accounts and realizing now they could have saved $10 by waiting till now?

I don't see how so many people who waited till now to buy into the game at $10 would be ready to spend another $50 on the expansion and this would even matter. If I'm buying the game for $10 I'm not looking to spend $50 so I don't see the connection unless this is simply users buying alt accounts and seeing they could have saved $10.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Survival Trailer Jun 16, 2015, 09:55 Tumbler

It looks really good. The obviously choreographed game play is bugging me so I'm still hoping to see a real match with 40 players. (or more?)

The 24 hour return policy on origin is going to a good way to try this for me.

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
50. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:43 Tumbler

Well, holy shit.

Whoever made that first trailer we saw last week or whatever probably needs to find a new line of work because what they showed tonight is a hell of a lot more than that trailer suggests.

I think the intro sequence might be deliberately low quality because it seems like everything they showed in that part looked like it was possibly running on a 360 then when they showed the game after he comes out of the vault everything seems to be what you'd expect from a AAA game today.

Still not preordering, will make sure the game plays well enough on release. If after a week people aren't cursing the bugs and waiting for updates then I'll probably bite.

Apparently Witcher 3 is going to have some competition this year when it comes to game of the year. Still thinking witcher 3 takes it easily based on everything I've seen so far.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
2. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 11, 2015, 17:34 Tumbler

Elite Dangerous is 10% off! Crossing my fingers for it to go lower one a 1 day sale or flash sale! I think I'll bite at $40.  

6214 Comments. 311 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo