Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6157 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
98. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2015, 22:34 Tumbler

"On paper" is the thing. The stats are utterly meaningless right now, especially as the developers keep changing things around. Don't make any serious judgements based on them - if you have to pledge for a ship, just go with whatever sounds cool and wait to see what becomes of things. Worst-case you can just trade it in for credit and get something else.] q

There have been plenty of ships to compare stats to the real thing thus far. I think it's safer to spend based on how much value a ship brings based on stats rather than accepting whatever price cig wants.

If not for the fixed guns on the wing I'd say the avenger takes the top spot but because the 300i wing slots allow a gimbaled gun that seems a tad better for combat. If we can get a tr5 engine on the avenger that might push it to the top spot. The Mustang might be good as well but I haven't had a lot of time with it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

94. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2015, 17:33 Tumbler

CIG has stated that ships will get more expensive closer to release. However, most of the ships that have been released recently have been large. When you look at the Vanguard, which is better spec'ed and larger than the Super Hornet, it commands a price tag to match ($250, versus the $180 of the SH). The Herald was cheap at $85, relative to other ships.

I think it's better to compare it to the Connie which was $225 by itself way back when. The standard connie comes with a second fighter as well and seems to kick the crap out of this thing in stats. I can only assume that the Vanguard will make up for that in armor and shields...possibly speed but the connie seems to have it topped as a heavy fighter.

Connie engines, 4x TR5's vs Vanguard 2x TR4's
Connie Thrusters, 8x TR3's vs Vanguard 11x TR2's
Connie guns 4x S4 Gimbals vs Vanguard 4x S2 Fixed
Connie missles 4xS1 & 2xS2 vs Vanguard 2xS2
Connie Turrets 2xS4 vs Vanguard 1xS2

The only questionable area is the P52 merlin vs the S5 Gatling and I'll take the extra fighter over the Gatling. The connie just destroys this ship on paper and costs $225 originally. Check that, it's still $225 today. I think the Vanguard is overpriced and I think that is normal for any new ships that come out. People will pay it so why not but the ships don't seem balanced to the dollar with the new stuff. It seems like you're paying a lot more for less.

92. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2015, 16:19 Tumbler

We've had someone here say they have given like $1,200 I believe -- can't remember who.

I've got to be over 1200 by now, I'm definitely over $1,000. (1122.93! dammit, I'm no quite there!) To my credit though I've stopped buying ships. What they are selling for today seems crazy. It feels like they really ramped up prices in 2014 on ships and anything that gets released now just has a big fat extra chunk on the price because that can.

That's fine with me, I am happier with the ships I bought at the price I paid.

Most of my funds have gone towards the monthly sub, $10 a month, and lots of physical items. Shirts, models, mouse pads, dog tags, I love all the little knick knacks!

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Follow-up
10. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Follow-up Mar 26, 2015, 12:28 Tumbler

MajorD wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 11:30:

My thoughts exactly. WTF is it even there in the first place, other than being intrusive?

EA = Electronic Assholes!!!

That seems reasonable...5 hardware changes in a 24 hour period is pretty rare. I can think of one time I would have had that many in one 24 hour period and it involved reinstalling windows multiple times so I wasn't worried about playing games during that process.

A simple email to the main address like Valve does might be easier on all fronts. When valve sees a new machine they just send a code to your email and ask you to type is in, then it's all good.

EA's solution seems easier on their end to support but at the end of the day you do not want to be locking out legit customers at any time.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 Tumbler

Gamergate would never have become a thing if zoe and friends hadn't started censoring people and trying to black list / threaten those who talked about it.

They kicked a bee hive and are now telling their story about how awful bees are and how much they got hurt.

Stop kicking the bees.

The /r/kotakuinaction is going strong. Far as I know that is what gamergate has become, a sub reddit focused on ethics issues.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
39. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 14:04 Tumbler

This is the equivalent of having to go through the airport TSA rigmarole to get in a movie theater: take your shoes off, belt off, outerwear off, empty your pockets, put your bag or purse on the conveyor belt, and scan it all. Then step through the metal detector and get the "naked" body scan. Think that might turn people off to going to the movie theater?

I think it's closer to a security guard saying you can't go back into the theater after going to the bathroom unless you buy another ticket.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
36. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 13:38 Tumbler

Man you're stupid if you believe this, MMO's/F2P are online drm'd games. They are taking those big wins (see diablo 3) and further invading. Same goes for steam.

DRM has been invasive for a long time now, almost all AAA games come with steam drm.

...confirmed, someone is stupid. Hardware DRM schemes haven't been common for a while, it's a surprise that origin has these limits in place. I wonder why it took this long for someone to notice. I doubt it's only for this game.

I suppose steam does technically do this but their response isn't to lock you out, they just sent an email to your account to verify you are the account owner.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2015, 14:02.

News Comments > Star Citizen Version 1.1
45. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 23, 2015, 16:35 Tumbler

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 13:54:
They've stated that they want to get the balancing right before they allow everybody to buy the most powerful ships in the game. That's why the M50 and 350R are missing (they're the fastest ships) and the Super Hornet and Mustang Delta are too (they're the most powerful). While it's great that everybody can now earn better ships the problem is that it effectively discourages people from using anything but, which is something they have yet to address.

If that is the case, should they be flyable in AC right now? It seems if they are too powerful to be sold in the REC store for fear that people would only use those ships then perhaps they need to be taken out of circulation or at least restricted to only combat with those ships. (m50, Delta, 350r, SH)

News Comments > Star Citizen Version 1.1
41. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 23, 2015, 10:22 Tumbler

I was able to get a few games in on Saturday, sadly after the first two the servers died and I gave up and went to another game. I was going to test out the Aurora with upgraded guns but never got the chance. The rec store works well, it's alarming that the top of the line ships are missing. SH in particular is the ship most people point to for the game being p2w...so how does that ship not make it in!?  

News Comments > New Evolve Hunters Next Week
12. Re: New Evolve Hunters Next Week Mar 19, 2015, 17:50 Tumbler

It's amusing to see their monetization plan roll out.

OMG we are gonna make soooo much money!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
33. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Mar 17, 2015, 15:30 Tumbler

Trevellian wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 14:27:

It's definitely not the best choice. Period. SWTOR is sadly monetized, I tried to go back once it was F2P and get back into the game, nope, impossible. Pay for features that should be in the game by default is a sad joke. Pay to hide your helm? Are you fucking kidding me? Half of my money, money I earned, was in fucking Escrow, and if wanted access to the money in Escrow I would have to pay real money to get it back.

SWTOR can go fuck itself.

That's a really odd thing to be upset about because games charging for cosmetic things has been something gamers say they want. Only charge for cosmetic things and it's fine, charge for gear and what not, then it's pay to win and terrible.

And the money earned in escrow a pretty clever idea. World of Tanks does something like this, you earn more income if you pay for a day of premium, (or a month, a year, etc) but they don't set it aside until later, if you're not premium you just don't earn it.

You're a perfect example of "can't please everyone" because you're complaints are over things that seem reasonable. Many things are a one time cost as well I think? I think the bars that you put all your powers in, you have to pay a few bucks to use more than 2 at once. Considering hte game is free to play having to spend a few bucks to add things to it seems reasonable.... If I'm enjoying a game that was free to try / play I often hit a point where I want to drop $20 or $30 bucks in just as a way to pay back the fun I've had. I often drop a few more bucks every few months to add something cosmetic if I'm still having fun.

Planetside 2 comes to mind because I had loads of fun in the beginning and was happy to spend about $40 in total to unlock a few things then work towards the rest. I didn't end up sticking with the game but I don't regret spending the money.

World of Tanks is a great example, I played that free for quite a while then I dropped a few bucks and when I go back I'm happy to put in $10 or so to get a few premium days and play a few matches. It's easy not to but I'd rather get the most bang for my time. I can often only play an hour or two a week so getting more out of those matches is definitely worth it for me.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
29. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Mar 17, 2015, 15:07 Tumbler

I'm hoping that SC launching this way, Buy to Play, no sub fees, is going to help it grow a lot.

Most of these games feel like they launch with a game very much in development with major features missing. (Swtor, STO, Conan, etc) That is ok if they aren't expecting a monthly fee at the same time.

I'd be happy to stick with many of these over months and even years if it didn't feel so insulting to be paying $15 a month for them to finish their game.

I'm willing to put up with a lot for games as a service but when they want money every month and $60 upfront they need to deliver something worth it.

If they want $40 up front and they deliver something that still needs work I can live with that, I'll login from time to time and see if the game is at a point where I want to put more time into it.

Case in point I want to buy Elite Dangerous, it's right up my alley, but it's still too expensive in my opinion. I don't think it delivers enough for a $60 price tag but I see they are adding to it all the time and either it's going to be worth $60 at some point or the price will drop and I'll be happy with it as is.

I meant to buy Guild Wars 2 when it went on sale but being a fantasy based game I'll live if I have to wait. I'm tempted to go back to STO but it's hard to get over that first impression when the game launches. It's hard to go back and give it a fair shot again.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
30. Re: removed Mar 16, 2015, 15:51 Tumbler

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 15:23:
The internet will implode when this game ships

There is no doubt that the drama will only get worse once it's released... It's come a long way and the nay sayers have only gotten louder so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they'll just stay the course and get louder once the game is released and playable.

It'll go something like this:

This game isn't worth $1000!!! Rip off of the century! We can't find anyone who spent that much and agrees with us but I'd be so mad if I paid that much for this! It's all about ME!!!! I paid $60 for this and it's a great game at that price but this is supposed to be a $1000 game! Those people got scammed! Holy shit that was AWESOM....ahem, sorry the game got me distracted, you can't afford to play this game! Sign my petition!

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
25. Re: Star Citizen Video Mar 16, 2015, 13:15 Tumbler

Can 1.1 drop already!? Still waiting for the 1.1 patch outside of the test server.

I wanna earn some REC! (REC is the secondary currency that you can rent equipment with inside arena commander)

I also need to spend some time flying all these different ships. Maybe I'll fly the M50 tonight. And the Mustang, and the Super Hornet!

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
94. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:47 Tumbler

They should have added $37+3000 for a new rig to run it. Its hideously slow even at low res its an unoptimized MESS.

It runs really well on the 970. I upgraded from SLI 760's which I thought ran it fine but I think they're shooting for needing a 970+ to get it to run well. The bulk of the game will hit in 2016 it sounds like. Plenty of stuff should be up by the end of the year but I think sometime in 2016 might be a good time to upgrade and card prices will hopefully be a lot less by then.

87. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:24 Tumbler

Are accounts transferrable? I know people have sold ships on eBay.

No, you can do a transaction outside of the site and then you can gift things to other people. So someone might use ebay to sell a ship the login to their account after payment is received and gift their ship to the person who paid them. (payment would include a user name or email probably)

I think there is a subreddit dedicated to ship sales. I've been considering buying another ship for a 2nd account that I might want to use exclusively for piracy.

86. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:19 Tumbler

Looking forward to the 1.1 patch on the normal server because it looks like they're holding off on the REC system until that patch. I've got 1.1 on the PTU but no Rec to earn.

I want to earn some weapons!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2015, 15:59 Tumbler

John Oliver's show has gotten very good very fast. I watched the first few episodes and wasn't really excited to see more. These youtube clips they put up been a ton better. The content defy's belief when you consider what congress is actually working on each day while stuff like that US territory bullshit is what they should be working on.

The police seizure laws were another great one. Youtube

Holy crap, that was 5 months ago!? Maybe the shows been good since I stopped watching it! Maybe if HBO offers a general internet subscription package I can see it more often. Cut the cord recently and couldn't be happier!

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
37. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 14:05 Tumbler

Assuming the video is a sign of what they want to build, no thank you.

I was a big fan of Descent way back when and having a fancier looking version of that game sounds boring. Flying through mines / tunnels isn't enough today and nothing about the ships is visually exciting.

It seems like they don't have a good art direction, the game looks very generic.

I think what I'd want from a "Descent" game today is a mixture of Minecraft and survival horror/monsters. It can still have a head to head action game but Descent might work as an IP if the game was about drilling into rocks where dangerous monsters were as well as rival miners that would try and kill you.

A typical match might start with 4 players a random spots around an asteroid, you start drilling into the rock and creating tunnels. There is already a tunnel inside somewhere that a huge monster inhabits. If you bust into that tunnel you're in trouble. If you bust into another players tunnel you could be in trouble. You could also connect that other players tunnel to the monster and he might never know it! At a certain point it'd be too dangerous to keep digging and it'd become an action game where you were trying to stay alive and kill the monster / other players.

You'd respawn as long as you had resources from mining. (you'd get upgrades with those resources too)

That would be awesome.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Module Nears
11. Re: Star Citizen FPS Module Nears Mar 7, 2015, 17:10 Tumbler

It sounds like a major improvement for the "flight model" this patch plus there is now a free flight multi-player mode that allows you to just fly around and land, etc. You can get out if your ship as well and swap ships! Chances are you'll be able to test fly ships with ease this way!  

6157 Comments. 308 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo