Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 5982 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2014, 13:07 Tumbler

Tried playing Titanfall last night on my new PC. (i5 4670k, 760 GTX, SSD). The game is enjoyable but given my limited time to play games it's not good enough. I played some BF4 last night as well, I wasn't having a lot of fun there either, I think the 64 player maps are too small for that amount of people. I'm going to try playing on 32 player servers and maybe pick different maps. A lot of servers are running the new carrier assault maps which aren't very good. I may not have played them all yet but the ones I have are crap in my opinion.

The DLC packs feel lazy and unpolished.

Back on Titanfall, I think the folks that didn't get involved in paying money to bring this game to their platform are going to come out ahead in the end. Unless MS doubles down on the game and makes it exclusive I'll bet Titanfall 2 will be a more complete product and be out on both systems. With the divide opening up between ps4 and One I can't imagine Respawn and EA want to get stuck on the console that has 5 million fewer consumers come holiday 2015. (my guess for Titanfall 2)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
87. Re: Some of you people amaze me... Apr 15, 2014, 17:20 Tumbler

Ryan Lange wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 16:03:
When they announce major new features as stretch goals, you bitch about how they'll never finish the game, or that it'll fall way short.

When they announce really minor things as stretch goals, you bitch about "million dollar horse armor".

Yes, the critics of this game and how it's funded seem to be stepping into fox news levels of bullshit to continue to find controversy.

Feature creep hasn't been an issue in a long time. If we consider the last 5 million in funding are promising:

- Cano System (Whatever that is) - it's a dot on a star map, they already have to make a shit load of these so very little as far as new features go. These are goals because they let citizens pick some of the attributes in each system. Stellar Graveyard, abandoned human colony, pirate den, etc)

- UDS-2943-01-22 System (Another random solar system)

- Kabal System (Another random solar system)

- Oretani System (Another random solar system)

- Procedural Generation R&D Team (prob not a big feature)

- Updated Observist Guide (Website thing)

- Explorer-class mobiGlas Rig (This actually is a MAJOR feature)

- Gladius (light fighter, they are already making dozens of ships, they essentially named one early and added as a stretch goal.

- Towel

So as far as feature creep they seem to be getting vast amounts of funding to handle the new features they want to add which seems ok to me. A procedural generated content system is likely already a part of the game. As you fly around space there are going to be random events that drop enemies on you or some other situation. Expanding that isn't too big an issue. Originally it might have been limited to pirates and mercenaries showing up to attack you during your travels. With more money going into Procedural generation they can expand that to include merchant vessels that need assistance, derelict ships that need salvaging or "cleansing", distressed ships needing assistance.

They've said it might be possible to even generate new areas to explore, maybe even planets. It all depends on how testing plays out internally. If the procedurally generated planets are crap then that won't be the best use. Civ V, for example, generates a planet to play on and most of those games are great for me!

The mobi glass thing seems like a major feature and they would be smart to offer easy stretch goals for them to complete over the next 5 million just to give them plenty of free funds to build the system they want.

Mobi glass is like a pip boy but a lot of what you do in Star Citizen will be interfaced through this little arm band computer.

It might be just a simple animation that happens before and after a menu comes up but we'll have to wait and see. Maybe it's something like the dead space menu's that seem to hang in the air in front of you. Not sure what to expect but it looks very cool.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2014, 17:40.

74. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 15:52 Tumbler

Do a lot of people think that the 42 million milestone was only a towel? The towel is an inside joke.

The reward is mainly the Mobi Glass and a new light fighter, the Gladius.

There has been a long running joke about the Lamp on Wingman's hangar. In episode 1 the lamp is a prop in the episode. It did not appear in future episodes so people started asking about the lamp. This became a running joke and now there is a Lamp Organization and a Lamp you can buy in game.

So in the spirit of making stupid shit into parts of lore and items you can own in game they have given us a Towel. It's a running joke. The lamp is basically the unofficial mascot of the game.

Go search lamp star citizen and just look at google images. It should be easier to understand just looking at those pictures.

As for the game in general I think the Reveal event was a technical disaster but what they've said since is that the build version got screwed up and everyone who's played the version at the Logitech booth over the weekend had a much better experience. (possibly Single Player)

There is an 18 minute video of people playing, I don't believe it crashed during this video but I haven't sat there and watched the whole thing.

All the comments from people getting hands on with it at PAX have been extremely positive. It would appear the game is working substantially better than the reveal event led people to believe. We'll see, DFM release is real close.

59. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 13:38 Tumbler

The rewards hitting 42 million so far are less than expected. It's above average for the stuff they are hitting but I was hoping they'd have a large amount of concept art and more in depth info to share when we cross that mark. It happens to fall around the same time as PAX and the DFM reveal so I guess it's excusable.

I'm hoping that the May release they keep mentioning was a decision they made assuming the DFM shown was going to get bad press. It seems that the reveal livestream was not the current build and the game running at the booths is much better. Overall I think the response is positive and good for them so I'm confused if they stick to their may release date at this point.

You let the public and critics play it at the booth...doesn't that mean it's ready for backers?

I impatiently await my download. DOGFIGHTER!!!!

News Comments > DICE Looking Into BF4 "Death Shield" Bug
13. Re: DICE Looking Into BF4 Apr 14, 2014, 14:35 Tumbler

Game breaking? I don't think this bug is game break in the least. How badly can a person exploit the bug?

BF4 is what it is but this bug hardly makes anything better or worse. I don't think DICE cares about making this game a better product than it currently is.

The only thing you can do is not buy their next game. That is my feeling on the matter anyway. If you like BF4 then buy their next game, or pre order it when possible. If you don't like BF4 don't buy their next game. Those are the two ways you can communicate with them.

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
10. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 14:32 Tumbler

I have to wonder what CCP is feeling right now with so many space games in the works. It feels like a ton of fans coming to SC are people who play eve and want a more skill focused game.

I hope CCP is building that oculous rift demo into a full featured component of their larger eve online game. I'd love to have two massive space games like SC to play! (three if you include Elite!)

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
57. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 11, 2014, 22:40 Tumbler

I think it looks great, can't wait to play it! I'm not sure why so many think this thing looks unacceptable for this point in development. Giantbomb was discussing a presentation they were in looking at Batman Arkham knight a week or so back where the game ran like complete shit and crashed repeatedly during the presentation. That game comes out in Oct of this year. Star Citizen doesn't come out this year so it seems like they're doing just fine.

Games run like shit a lot during development apparently.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
28. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 16:15 Tumbler

I'm looking forward to trying this when I can get in at $60, I think that is one of the future beta stages but I must say it's getting really frustrating to see the price tags still so high after so many iterations of the alpha / beta. I think this is stage 4 now, Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Beta and this is Beta 2? You have to protect the people who invested early I get that, but I would recommend others wanting to do something like this have the price point a bit more reasonable by this point in development.

It's having the opposite effect on me. I'm finding my desire to spend even $60 is falling.

DFM Announcement reveal tonight! CIG has been working up to an announcement tonight at 6pm PST that will "reveal". I hope to be a happy Star Citizen tonight and hopefully dog fighting by this weekend! (might be more like next week)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 9, 2014, 15:53 Tumbler

Last of us didn't click for me on the PS3. I'd be interested to try it on the PS4. I'd hope they could tweak the gameplay a tiny bit because that seemed a little tedious to me. I got tired of playing the "game" part of it after a few hours and just went and watched the youtube mashup of all the cut scenes.

I guess I ended up missing a lot of important moments in the game because everytime I hear people explaining what they loved so much about the game it sounds like little bits of voice acting and stuff they saw during the "game" and not so much the moments in the cut scenes.

Hopefully it will be something I can see on the ps4 if the game feels better.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 7, 2014, 13:03 Tumbler

Hunh, I watched Game of Thrones last night on HBO go with no issues. Pleasantly surprised.

Fucking awesome start. The prince of Dorn, one of my favorite characters. I remember that scene at the end of the first episode from the books, how they manage to capture the intensity and tone of the books so perfectly is amazing. And oh ma god, that sweet satisfaction of seeing ...secret Aria slowly drive those swords into those sons of bitches...oh god MOAR!

I cringe at what that means for the Red Viper. Fuckin RR Martin....bastard. At least the Mountain died a horrible agonizing death. You Raped her, You murdered her, you murdered her children. double checks secret codes...

News Comments > On ESO Charges
18. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 Tumbler

Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

Most banks leave that on there for three frikkin days.

Most places also only charge you $1.00 to see if the card is legit. I updated my info on Itunes so that I could buy FTL over the weekend. and it showed a $1 charge on my card then a $9.99 charge. I assume the $1 charge will come off in a day or two.

In the case of an MMO I don't think I've ever had them run the card before the game time is up. Maybe they do and I've never noticed.

It seems pretty unnecessary when you consider having a legit game key already cost the player $60 and access to your account will be restricted if the CC info isn't correct. It might be a passive aggressive move against players who likely only want to play for that first month? (but that makes little to no sense unless they're complete idiots....and they did make Elder Scrolls Online...a game NO ONE wanted...so....)

It's hard to believe there is some arterial motive behind this. More likely someone type 15 in the auth check field when they should have typed 1.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
53. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 22:21 Tumbler

The giantbomb quicklook was pretty interesting. I think I watched them play for an hour. Impressive how much they got it to look like Skyrim. Didn't expect that.

I'll just load up skyrim and mod it to hell and back if I want to play I suppose.

The problem is that Skyrim, to me, is a better game. As good a job as they did making this like skyrim, it's glaringly obvious that it's not as good. The giantbomb playthrough showed them getting a horse toward the end of one video. The prices started at 17,000 gold for the lowest tier horse and many were 42k or 45k. In the hour or so I'd been watching they had collected about 400 gold. Lucky for them they had the fancy imperial version which comes with a horse. That was one gold.

So it's like Skrim, just more expensive, and takes longer to play. (in a bad way)

So I'm good with old Skyrim.

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month
3. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month Apr 4, 2014, 21:42 Tumbler

Very happy with how this turned out. Looks awesome! Excited to play.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 19:20 Tumbler

Spent 2 hours on it. It's not bad for $10. It's easy to play with kids running around because each match ends very quickly.

You get more control of the units as you get further in the game. The assault troops for example allow you to use jump jets to jump across lanes but only after u get that upgrade. In the beginning they are just a melee unit that moves forward a little quicker.

The standard marine can fire at adjacent lanes which is their "thing". You get grenades for them as well and a charge ability that lets you stun other units. (usually melee)

I upgraded to the dreadnaught early but it doesn't stay very long, it seems to have a certain amount of energy and when you use it all it just shuts down and drops into the floor.

Terminators are dlc which sucks. For the marines you can deploy tactical marines, assault, and devestator. You can also get bikes, dreadnaughts and a variety of other hq powers. There are also 2 other campaigns to purchase as dlc which look like ork campaigns.

I'm guessing they'll add in all the other marine chapters (at least the majors) and maybe some additional races.

I haven't been able to find a MP game yet...prob not a great sign.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 10:50 Tumbler

Hunh, I was a little interested in this before watching this youtube clip. It's the Ipad version but I doubt the pc version is a lot different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZH87pWXgSA

I was hoping it would be something like hearthstone where you go head to head against another human but this is all AI?

Researching...oh wait, no it is multipayer. Cross platform even! Plus the pc version mentions they just added dreadnaughts and stormboyz! Sold.

This seems like a game I can squeeze in with 10 min like Hearthstone.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 16:38 Tumbler

The game works ok now but I struggle to have any fun when I play. Loaded it up the other night to try this mode and it doesn't change much. Doesn't feel like titan mode in 2142 to me. It plays like the conquer mode where you take the check points but instead of a number ticking down it's a picture of your carrier. When that runs out the carrier is breached. You can parachute down over the carrier at that point but it's not a very interesting thing to fight over.

I remember Titan mode in 2142 has AA guns, you had to fly a drop ship over, there were crazy fire fights. This feels tacked on. The carrier feels open and empty in most places. It doesn't feel like a carrier or even a large naval ship when you're inside. The geometry is extremely simple. Large box like open areas, long square corridor. It's dull and empty.

I'll give it another shot but so far pretty lame. It's what you'd expect from a studio that doesn't care about this franchise anymore. All the dlc's been shit in my opinion. The core maps are decent but everything beyond that lacks that same quality.

My gut is saying that as soon as DICE got that Battlefront licensed deal they just said, "Fuck BF4, everyone start working on this. Put a bow on it and ship it, that thing is done."

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 3
9. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 16:10 Tumbler

panbient wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 15:48:
That ship looks really nice too, but tell me, when's the last time you were able to pay attention to the intricate details of a ship model in the middle of a dogfight? Why does it need a fine print warning to not step on the flap? What are the developers actually focused on? Making it work? Or making it look really pretty? Makes for great PR material though...

I think they are putting in all that extra work because a major part of the game will be spent walking around. Landing on a planet for example will start with you sitting in your ship then getting out and walking away from it so in those environments they want to make the ships look as detailed as possible.

During fights though most of what we're going to be seeing are various LOD models. (level of detail...I think that is how it works) so all that up close stuff won't help on other ships but when you go third person you'll see those little things.

I think it's all about going the extra mile and doing things to a higher standard than we've seen before. The visuals they're aiming for are likely going to cause a lot of people to need better hardware to play the game properly. I wouldn't be surprised if many people come to this game very late in the game because their pc budgets didn't allow an upgrade at this time.

As for $40 being a lot of money, in that case I would probably skip or not be so into star citizen because it's a beast. The visuals they want to create are likely going to require sli setups to experience properly. I'm buying my pc components fully expecting to need to buy another video card and possibly upgrade the one I have as well. I'm hoping a 760 will be ok and I can add a second 760 later but I wouldnt be surprised if I need 770's...or god forbid 780's.

They seem hell bent on making a game that is going to just massacre the average system. I think that is fantastic as I always loved upgrading my hardware and then loading up certain games just ot see how much better they looked. In the past it was a pretty huge jump for me but lately since development moved toward the lower end specs it's not that exciting. Woohoo I can play Titanfall with better visuals...it looks so...it looks the same.

I am anxious to load up crysis 3 though, that game ran like shit unless I turned a lot of stuff down. Looking forward to seeing that.

4. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 13:24 Tumbler

panbient wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 13:10:
We really do. We're just not confident in anything that tries to promise everything (as he's done in the past). It's less about being negative and more about being realistic in regards to what's possible.

Is $45($40?) too much if the game turns out to little more than a dogfighter? Let's say it never materializes into what we'd hoped, the dogfighter happens, they add maybe a dozen ships but for whatever reason the project stalls after that, SQ42 comes out and it's pretty terrible. Very few want to play it, and CIG decides to scrap the rest of the project because there is no point in building a game people won't play. Or worse the Cryengine just can't do enough and a dogfighting sim is about all it can be.

Judging by what we're seeing now, I think that is more than reasonable for a $40 buy in. ($45 might be the price you see, I think I see slightly lower prices because I bought in early)

There isn't a lot of reason to buy in now vs when the dogfighter is out but at $40 is just seems like it's worth the risk. No?

Have you see this HUD?

This is what a hornet looks like in engine

Maybe people think of this as a more expensive game because so many have bet big but you will almost certainly get a cpu crushing, video card eating, PC loving space sim dogfighter for $40.

You can even load up a custom map and see how hte ships explode and take damage and watch the physics play out with this. (right now)

Maybe the current status of things just isn't common knowledge but I think we're well past the "$40 might be just a waste of money".

Is it a $60 game and above? Not yet. But $40? No PC gamer looking for games specifically made for the PC will be upset by that price.

Edit: I think I quoted the wrong price, $30 is what it would cost me to buy a starter account but that doesn't have alpha or beta access. $40 is what it costs me to buy an account with alpha/beta (access to content now I think) so it might be $45 for someone off the street.

$40-$45 is a point where I pause so I guess people are right to hold off until the Dogfighter comes out and possibly wait for SQ42. $30 for me is a no brainer, for whatever reason $40 is a point where I have to closely evaluate any game and $50+ is almost always, "no, I'll wait for a sale"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 13:10 Tumbler

Controversial? There only controversial because the "games industry" won't shut up about how hard it makes their marketing job. How can we sell this pile of this if you tell people it's a pile of shit!?!?! Do you know how much money we spent on this?!

It's a lot like how Gamestop suddenly became public enemy number one for a short time because the game companies decided that 2nd hand sales was why they were losing so much money. I mean just because we make a 6 hour game that has mediocre gameplay making replay a complete waste of time and charging $60 for it doesn't mean people would naturally want some of their money back and would use whatever means necessary to get it...right? I mean people love paying us $60 for the games we make! Just look at our pre-order and day one sales! The problem is gamestop bootlegging our game and selling "used" copies because none of the people we worship that pre-ordered would do that...

It's a good move to add that to the product pages. I hope they go further and add it to the lists when searching for a variety of games. Currently it's only on the individual product page but you can still see the star ratings that amazon uses in the lists.

2. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 13:00 Tumbler

What does that even mean "changing settings"?

Oh, I get it. This must have linked to the Bahama's trip they planned as an April's fools joke.

Very confused when I clicked the link. ...this is the March Monthly update, what is the changing settings about? *search for "settings", nothing comes up.

Really liking the look of the HUD and that shot of the Hornet with armor is awesome. Ooooo my desktop background rotation just brought up the new HUD!

5982 Comments. 300 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo