Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Your name

Real Name Your name   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Koblizek
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 6, 2003, 00:32
Total Comments 299 (Amateur)
User ID 18304

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Demo Today
36. Re: First post May 28, 2004, 15:03 Koblizek

Which ones? Because I've played it for 4 hours and I have *yet* to see an NPC be "psychic" as you say. Someone pointed this out to you yesterday Ray.

As for the fence, I don't remember whether he opened his mouth or not, true. But lets see, I was busy actually PLAYING the game and selling items and moving on rather than worrying about whether he moved his lips...you know, gameplay, the thing that comes first in games?
This comment was edited on May 28, 15:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: First post May 28, 2004, 14:54 Koblizek

Wrong. Characters speak with actually pretty decent lip synching. Apparently you bought a different game than the rest of us Ray.

24. Re: XP or 2000 only... May 28, 2004, 13:44 Koblizek

I have to agree with nin here, Win98 was definitely one of the most UNSTABLE OS's I've ever had the displeasure of working with. I think Win2K and XP are by far the most stable (outside of Linux or any derivation thereof, but then again, it seems with Linux that you can really screw up your system easily by tinkering).

"As for DS, I am really annoyed with some of the stupid decisions that have been made. No ropes, third-person that destroys immersion, the day-glo effect, sparkles, questionable AI, etc. I literally laughed while playing earlier - I could not get past how ridiculous one particular NPC looked with a sparkling head, sparkling arm, and sparkling waist."

Ray, you can use third person optionally, I haven't even touched it since playing. Bloom effect can also be turned off. AI has been questionable in ALL Thief games, what crack have you been smoking? Remember when the guards would just keeping walking into you if you were crouched in the dark and wouldn't even notice you were there? Now they do. Sure, they make some stupid decisions still, but over all I think its a vast improvement over the first two. As for the sparkly effects, they are a little ostentatious, but I was always pissed off in the first two games because I never find that last bit of loot needed to complete the level simply because it was hiding behind a book case on the third level or something. My 2 cents...
This comment was edited on May 28, 13:49.

News Comments > etc.
3. No subject May 25, 2004, 18:01 Koblizek

"GameZone's Lafferty, a reviewer himself, has qualms about using aggregate scores to judge a game's quality. He sees developers shying away from risk-taking, preferring instead to make games similar to those ranked high in the past. In fact, at the E3 show recently, it was evident to him that publishers are already leaning toward sequels rather than being innovative.

'What will the incentive be for developers to step outside the envelope if they're being judged on review scores?' he asked. 'If they try something new and it's critically panned, they'll revert back to what's worked in the past.'"

Are game reviewer's just naturally stupid, or do they take that position because they can't do anything else in life? I'm being serious. I don't see how this would affect new or original titles...at all. All Jason Hall is talking about is existing movie franchises that games are made from. Does the reviewer *honestly* think that some amazingly creative title is going to come franchise game? I mean, by definition it can't be because you're using someone else's intellectual property. It can be a *good* or even great game, but it will generally be similar just because its a property that already exists.
This comment was edited on May 25, 18:03.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Thief 3 May 24, 2004, 14:49 Koblizek

Well, quite frankly, the Thief series has always been plagued by poor graphics, models, and no lip synching. Apart from those quibbles, the reviewer thinks the lighting engine is fantastic, which is all I really care about. Its a Thief game through and through according to Gamespy, which is more than enough for me to purchase it.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Thief 3 May 24, 2004, 14:04 Koblizek

Yeah, seriously Riker, what gives? I'd hardly call Ion Storm a one hit wonder. You're just on a hating binge, and that's fine, but the reviewer said up front that while his review would have a lot of negative points, its because he expected a giant leap forward for the series. Instead, we got something on par with the first two, which is frickin' great in my book considering its the best game series of all time in my opinion.

News Comments > New UT2004 Red Orchestra
42. Re: On nooos May 22, 2004, 21:41 Koblizek

I agree that innovation will come eventually. Of course, Nintendo does make innovative games, but I can't think of a single friend of mine who has a Nintendo or enjoys the esoteric concept games they churn out (like Pikmin for example). It depends on who and how you market it I guess, much like anything else. Like I said, some ideas are fantastic in concept and horrible in execution. You have to be good at both, which is a rare thing these days, in order to be truly innovative.

My mod idea? I wouldn't do it for the money, I'd do it for my resume portfolio. As for an audience, if no one plays it, or very few people, I'd be pretty disappointed for all the work that went into it. Yes its a labor of love, but it also represents the people creating it, you can't help but have your ego solidly crushed if no one enjoys what you think would be a great game.

40. Re: On nooos May 22, 2004, 20:43 Koblizek

It has nothing to do with originality "equal bad made and no fun." It has everything to do with whether publishers are willing to take that risk, and whether said risks have paid off in the past. I mean, let's be honest, every few years a new title comes out, that somehow mish-mashes some already existing genres together and it may OR may not sell well.

Take Black and White for example, it sold fairly well (at least as far as I know) and received positive reviews. But in retrospect I can say, and almost every reviewer who originally reviewed, found it dull and repetitive after the initial wow factor wore off.

Other games just aren't ready or polished enough, even though they take giant leaps forward. I'd like to think Battlezone (the remake) is one of those, you certainly see inklings of it in Natural Selection and Battlefield 2. Or take Trespasser for example. Completely unpolished, but was way ahead of its time in terms of interface and its physics engine.

The thing is I, and apparently everyone else, would rather have a really polished well made mod/game over something that tries to jump to far forward or tries a concept which doesn't work. Will Evil Genius or the Movies end up being great games with replayability in them? I hope so, but no one will know until they come out next year or whenever. I'd like to see innovation in the industry, but quite frankly I'm a realist, and theses things move slowly over time. If a game doesn't sell well in a certain genre: horror, god games, etc. Then you really can't blame any developer/publisher from staying away from that genre for a while, can you? Monoculture as you call it, is at the heart of business and capitalism. Yes, we thrive on breakthroughs and revolution/evolution, but its becoming increasing rare to find.

I enjoy horror games too, and thought of doing a mod for Half-Life 2 that would be a multiplayer Lovecraftian game, but I don't know if there is enough interest to support that idea.

I'm also part of the indsutry as well, as are many people on this board, so I'm not speaking out of my ass either. Listen, I'm not trying to be a jackass, I actually think this discussion is interesting and wish others would join in, so I'm sorry if I come across that way. Peace.

38. Re: On nooos May 22, 2004, 15:38 Koblizek

Do you really think that most of these mod makers are just doing it purely out of good nature? That's a pretty naive way to look at it. I think many of them are trying to get recognition or get a publishing contract. If you think otherwise, then you have a lot to learn. As a result, they're trying to make a mod that is both fun and well made. Otherwise, no one is going to play it for more than 5 minutes. I've been a part of a couple mod teams, off and on, and on ALL of them they were looking for more than a diversion. They were all looking to use it on their resume to get a gaming job or get picked up by a publisher. Whether that's a ridiculous belief to hold, that of all the mods yours will be the one everyone plays, is neither here nor there. The truth is, even mod makers now are in it for more than just fun.

Women do play games. There have been many studies done to indicate such. They play games that take little time investment to learn and can be played on the fly. Games like mahjong, Bejeweled, solitaire, etc. are all popular with women. That's not a slight against women at all, they just don't prefer the types of games most men do.
This comment was edited on May 22, 15:40.

35. Re: On nooos May 22, 2004, 13:28 Koblizek

And what exactly do you have in mind then if you don't want sci fi or a war setting? I'm quite serious, what do you want from people who aren't getting paid and work on a mod in their free time? You want some creative completely divergent mod? I don't think so. It's not going to happen, because these war games are proven formulas that work. Anything else has a small chance of succeeding (and I don't just mean popularity, I also mean technically excellent as well). Besides, wouldn't a group like that just license the engine and get a publisher, effectively removing any "mod" status from their work and turning into a full fledged game? Ohh, but I forgot in this million dollar a game industry you'll be likely to find any publisher willing to fund such a roll of the dice. Let's be honest here too, I can't really blame publishers for being weary when critically acclaimed games sell poorly and hackneyed crap sells like hotcakes. If you want to point the finger at someone, point it at the casual consumer who is heart of this industry, not hardcore gamers like you and I.

9. Re: On nooos May 21, 2004, 20:51 Koblizek

Let's see, are they charging you any money for trying this mod? Did they make this mod in their free time and improve because they simply enjoy making it? I think the answer is obvious. Who cares if you don't like it. You're obviously free to voice your opinion, but I get sick of hearing "OH NO ANOTHER WW2 GAME," like there haven't been a trillion sci-fi games. Besides this takes place between two sides that most WW2 games forget about, the Russians and the Germans. I'm sorry that you're not interested in these types of games, but its not like they're charging you for it...so simply, just deal with it.

5. Re: On nooos May 21, 2004, 20:37 Koblizek

How about instead of bitching about WW2 mods ("OH DEAR GOD NOT ANOTHER WW2 GAME/MOD" is the god damn equivalent of "Is this the patch..." - you're an eTard if you say either of those by the way), why don't you actually play it and decide for yourself. Its a fantastic mod even without BicycleRepairMan pimping it to high heavens on this board. Its well constructed and a lot better than 90% the crappy mods I've tried in many years.

This comment was edited on May 21, 20:38.

News Comments > Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow Patches
2. Re: No subject May 17, 2004, 12:35 Koblizek

I think you meant to post one article down.

This comment was edited on May 17, 12:36.

News Comments > A Far Cry from PCs
28. Re: Console FPS Control Apr 7, 2004, 16:05 Koblizek

There is a jump later on, that you MUST make. There is no way around it. Its not particularly difficult, its just that first time I didn't see it and it killed me. It pissed me off because that's frickin' cheap. Its one thing when I know what I'm up against and have some room to manuever, but when they take your weapons away and force your to run, that's also ghetto fabulous. All in all though, FarCry is the best FPS I've played in ages...period.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: On a more serious note.. Apr 2, 2004, 19:56 Koblizek

Yeah, FarCry is absolutely amazing. It is simply the bets FPS I've played in ages, hands down. I discover new things every time I go through it. I should say that I've restarted several times and haven't made it to the end yet, but I just discovered that one can shoot the megaphone-like speakers attached to alarm poles and disable alarm systems that way. The megaphone speaker falls to the ground useless...GREAT!

I hope this gets some mod attention like UT2004 is getting. I can see some amazing stuff coming from this engine.

29. On a more serious note.. Apr 2, 2004, 18:52 Koblizek

I guess Randy Smith is no longer helming Thief 3...Eidos producer has taken the reins. God help us all, film at a 11.

http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=422004-144750

10. Re: GG America Apr 2, 2004, 12:48 Koblizek

I don't agree with it either. And yes, it is ridiculous, I just happen to see hypocritical people bashing America all the time, when other countries laws are often just as ridiculous. I don't have much patience for hypocrites.

8. Re: GG America Apr 2, 2004, 12:43 Koblizek

How predictable, a thread with America bashing...didn't see that one coming...cough.

News Comments > Pacific Storm Announced
5. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2004, 12:39 Koblizek

I don't know, I thought of Bukkake Entertainment too, but only the first time I saw it...I swear.

I wish I still had my copy of 'Aces of the Pacific.' It was the only flight sim I've ever been able to get into. The manual was absolutely fantastic with excruciatingly exacting details for every plane used. I wish someone would commit to a remake of it, but Dynamix is dead and for all I care so is Sierra.

News Comments > Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow MP Demo
6. Multiplayer Issues Mar 25, 2004, 13:46 Koblizek

The only issues I've heard of were connection soft locks when trying to do an "Optimatch" on Xbox Live! As far as I know, this means that soft locking is only occuring on the Xbox and ONLY when you choose to search for an Optimatch. I have heard of one instance where it locked up in the game itself, but there haven't really been any repros to make me believe it. Here's a link to a Gamespot article covering this issue: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/24/news_6092153.html

299 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo