Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Josh

Real Name Josh   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ShadyPete
Email shadypete@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2003, 00:49
Total Comments 177 (Novice)
User ID 18283

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
40. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 27, 2015, 07:33 ShadyPete

idk why but i enjoy calling this game Space Inhabitant  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 25, 2015, 13:51 ShadyPete

LiTh wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 12:09:
Creston wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 10:53:
The Li-Fi technology used by Velmenni in the pilots is able to send data at up to 1GBps - more than 100-times faster than current Wi-Fi technologies.

Edit: GBps, not Gbps.

I just saw the blurb that they achieved 224GBps in lab conditions, holy hell.

Of course, with this being lightbased, and thus on direct line of sight only, it's going to be extremely limited in possible domestic usage.

True, but it does introduce a pretty neat security caveat being that its line of sight.

seems only practical for 1 way communication. seems that RF would work better for transmitting from our devices as no LoS is really needed. or would we aim our laptop/phone's laser at the optical reciever in the wall?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Donkey Kong Nov 24, 2015, 15:30 ShadyPete

read the head line and already knew who's dumbass face would show up.. lol  

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June
6. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 27, 2015, 16:10 ShadyPete

No Man's Sky "You have already seen these things"  

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Today
4. Re: Overwatch Beta Today Oct 27, 2015, 16:04 ShadyPete

"lol rekt rekt lol noob lol rekt..."  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced
24. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced Oct 14, 2015, 22:25 ShadyPete

'this map is bullshit.. ive been blasting the walker with my pistol for 30 seconds and it's health hasn't moved at all..'

-any bro shooter player

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Oct 9, 2015, 07:31 ShadyPete

doxxing of kids, citcon, derek smart it all makes sense to me now. the real reason gary oldman will be at citcon.

the sq42 trailer featuring gary oldman as derek smart.

yeah ive been up far too long..

oh SHIT jean reno is chris roberts!!

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
207. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 7, 2015, 17:00 ShadyPete

Flatline wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 16:42:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 16:31:
But seriously, did you actually bring up Freespace Open in a topic about Star Citizen? At least Elite: Dangerous is in the same ballpark; Freespace Open looks like it's from the 90s... because it is.

20 years and 100 million dollars later and I still enjoy the combat in Freespace 2 more than Arena Commander.

Wow Volition released the source in 2002? Absolutely loved Freespace and Freespace 2..

204. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 7, 2015, 15:35 ShadyPete

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 13:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 11:52:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 01:44:
He is concerned. He's a big defender, but he's not blind. This CitCon is a bit make or break for him, IIRC. I was right there with him until the social module launched.
Exactly. I have expressed my serious concerns on so many occasions. I'm not blind to the issues affecting this game and its development. As for the social module, I think it's terrible as it stands - the performance is appalling and functionality-wise it's rudimentary at best. That said, that doesn't diminish my confidence in the project overall. The hangar and Arena Commander both run at 60fps and they haven't implemented a lot of the performance features, such as DX12. However, they need to expand its functionality and do so quickly. With the SocMod they've at least committed to several major releases this year, including a new planetside location. Whether they deliver is another matter.

I'll be at CitCon this Saturday and they really need to deliver. Squadron 42 has been kept behind closed doors and it cannot underwhelm. They also need to show substantial progress elsewhere, to show what they've been working on for this past year.

Yeah, my thoughts were

1. They've been working three years, and when they launch it, it's completely not operational. All you could do was walk around.

2. They've been working three years, and they've partially completed one social module out of hundreds promised.

3. It was so overbuilt for its purpose, I realized there was no way to complete the game for $90M.

All that being said, I'm very interested what they show this weekend. I wonder if/how this whole thing will affect CR.

he would do well to not use the event as a platform to voice his frustrations with Derek Smart or the Escapist and instead show some tangible results and let them speak for themselves.. guess we will see what happens this weekend

197. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 6, 2015, 19:32 ShadyPete

@theyarecomingforyou

do you not have any concerns at all about SC?

35. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 11:02 ShadyPete

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 10:52:
Stormsinger wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 10:45:
I especially like the snarky little "Based on the generous standards set by you..."

It has all the maturity and professional tone of a three year old winding up for a major tantrum. I'd kick in $100 for legal costs for the Escapist, just for the show.

That was the best part of the letter. I'll match your funds but mine is going to CIG.

The more CR speaks the more i believe the article. i could actually see CR blame DS and the Escapist article when everything finally collapses. "Things were fine until blah blah blah and now we are out of money blame them...."

News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
31. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 19:41 ShadyPete

Sepharo wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 19:36:
ShadyPete wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 19:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 17:17:
Gotta agree here, where is the beef? This seems like a prettier SPORE disaster to be honest. Except they shoot even higher.

Will Wright was on the Colbert Report once....

They were probably like, Stephen we know you're a big Wright fan... but you absolutely cannot mention Spore during the interview.

It was during Spore developement so they did talk about it.. soo yeah history repeating?

News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
29. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 19:35 ShadyPete

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 17:17:
Gotta agree here, where is the beef? This seems like a prettier SPORE disaster to be honest. Except they shoot even higher.

Will Wright was on the Colbert Report once....

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
4. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 2, 2015, 19:40 ShadyPete

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:02:
Fuck it, GET MOAR POPCORN!

man that murdered me... lol

more SC doom pron!!

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
119. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 13:04 ShadyPete

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 11:48:
BobBob wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 11:14:
No one likes nepotism; except for the relative, of course. The typical result is favoritism and the inability of most employees to rise in rank over a hired relative. And you can just forget about winning in the business's political culture or being fairly treated during social disputes. Don't except true professionalism.
You haven't provided any evidence to suggest that Sandi Gardiner isn't professional or capable of doing her job. She was been with the company since it was only a handful of employees and has been responsible for a recording breaking funding campaign. Your assertion is basically that because they're married she cannot possibly be doing a good job, which is ludicrous.

it's not a question of her credentials, aptitude or job performance. it's a question of Chris's judgement and business ethics.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
105. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 10:36 ShadyPete

Forget about Smart.. questions about SC existed well before he became involved.

CR seems upset that people are questioning his judgement. Well yeah when you do shit like giving your wife a position in the company. I dont care if she is the absolutely most qualified person for that job. You just dont do shit like that people find it fishy and that he didn't recognize that speaks to his TOTAL LACK OF AWARENESS which is a common theme running through all this shit.

News Comments > Source 2 Running on Vulkan
35. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 25, 2015, 09:43 ShadyPete

LiTh wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 21:49:
Linux will start taking over right when 95% of the population are all techies & programmers. Otherwise they'll be sticking with Windows and OSX and other simpler OS's. As for the games being made, they'll be targeted at the OS's with the biggest numbers, just like always.

would disagree somewhat. if you think what the average everyday person uses their PC for a standard Ubuntu/Mint distro will work for them out of the box. installation is a barrier for them sure but it's actually very easy to install these days and would argue most of these average users would cringe if they had to reinstall windows. i recently moved my (non techie)brother to linux from his old xp machine and had him up and running in about 15 minutes. and he can still play the original xcom, the only game he plays and is a grand master.

i also install ubuntu on my mom's old xp machine over a year ago. my mom is THE WORST pc user of all time. i have got zero tech calls from her since i've installed. no 'how do i do this' or 'hey the computer is acting weird' calls that i used to recieve about 4 times a year at which time i would go over a clean out all the bullshit.

26. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 20:10 ShadyPete

So yeah... enjoy your normalcy bias, but I am looking forward to the near future.

i feel the same way as you do shihonage. last year i commited to running linux only on my machine after a couple years of dual booting.

i find most AAA games these days not interesting at all. it seems also that alot of PC gamers feel the same way. they are tired of the consolized ports, dumbed down bullshit, low texture quality and whatever the hell else is wrong. well that is all we are EVER going to get unless things get shaken up a bit.

Some game and hardware companies got together and came up with a plan to challenge the status quo and empower people to make some change in the industry and it appears alot of PC gamers feel threatened by this when they should embrace it. this will be good for PC gaming guys...

i very well could be wrong, time will tell but it sure feels like the winds are changing..

11. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 13:29 ShadyPete

The problem with all these low-level technologies is that they require ongoing support from all participants. Even if it catches on, can the technology be guaranteed to be supported 5-10 years down the line?

- opengl

Like it or not, Microsoft *will* be supporting and upgrading DirectX (or whatever permutation exists in the future) and its massive OS footprint means that vendors will support DirectX and that software will be written with DirectX in mind. It's doubtful the same will happen for Vulkan...

the growing list of companies all have a vested interest in a platform agnostic API. Saves time, money and most importantly gives them access to a larger market to make money from.

it's not the late 90's anymore. smartphones have changed the game.. like it or not...

10. Re: Source 2 Running on Vulkan Sep 24, 2015, 13:04 ShadyPete

Glide was vendor specific. DX is not. And its mainstream. 99% of Windows software that use 3D use DX, not OGL/Vulkan. DX is not going anywhere.

DX is absolutely vendor specific. Whether it's hardware or in this case software makes no difference.

177 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo